• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow-up:
I do not think so for this Directory - used for communications.
But check-out...
http://www.westinstjohnrentals.com/index.html
for Owner rentals and exchanges.
I haven't used this - but see some Tuggers that do.

Awesome thanks! I love the week I just bought (27) but I would love the idea to swap with other deeded properties on the hill if it made sense.

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the recent "incentive" is for an owner's update at WSJ? Wondering if it's worth our time...Thanks!

polly

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Does anyone know what the recent "incentive" is for an owner's update at WSJ? Wondering if it's worth our time...Thanks!

polly

$125 'Starfish' bucks (or could be another name? - essentially coupons worth $125 that can be spent at many places) - I used to buy some Hiatian art at Mongoose Junction.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Message From Your Virgin Grand Owner-Elected Representatives

Latest communication from WSJ-VG HOA

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Owner:

We recently participated in a conference call meeting of the Board of Directors of our timeshare condominium owners association, and this is our regular report to you. This is a shorter report than we usually provide, as there have been no major developments since our last report in March.

Owner directory and website
Although we have experienced a frustrating year-long delay, the website on which owners will be able to buy, sell, rent or exchange weeks (or fractional periods) is nearing completion, and we hope to have it up and running by the end of the year. Meanwhile, because there has been such a long delay, the Board asked management to circulate a new voluntary owners’ directory. You should recently have received an email inviting your participation; if you want to be listed and to receive a copy of the directory, be sure to reply by the end of July.

Discounted sale of association-owned weeks
In July, we offered owners the opportunity to buy association-owned weeks at bargain prices. As of today, we have received offers to purchase 44 weeks. Our next report, in November, will include the number of weeks that we sold and the amount of revenue that we received. These sales represent weeks that will now bring annual maintenance fee revenues to the association, which will help to keep down the maintenance fees that we all must pay.

Energy savings
The second phase of our installation of photo-voltaic (PV) cells will be completed by the end of the year. By December, all of the three-bedroom buildings will have PV cells on the central portions of their roofs, and we will have installed a ground array on a portion of the hillside. Management is investigating whether we can use the land that we own to produce even more electricity without degrading the appearance of the resort.

Freecycle shed
Phil was at the resort in June and is happy to report that when he left, there were 13 beach chairs in the freecycle shed – perhaps a record high – as well as floats, children's toys, and other items. An electronic lock for the shed (which will be coordinated with room keys) is on order.

Wi-fi
As we noted in our last report, the wi-fi system has been upgraded. It is now more reliable than before, but we have heard from owners that the basic system, which is available free to owners, does not support streaming video. Currently, owners must pay about $10 per day if they want a faster system that will stream video. The Board has asked management to see whether the system could be improved for owners without imposing such a high fee.

Buildings 41 and 42
Management will poll the owners of units in buildings 41 and 42 in the near future to see whether they would want (or object to) the installation of a permanent wall between the two upstairs bedrooms. As you know, under the by-laws, a wall cannot be installed in any unit if any owner of that unit objects to the installation.

Two-bedroom units
Some owners of the two-bedroom units requested additional balcony seating. A folding chair is being provided for each of these units.

Pending litigation
There have been no material developments in the two lawsuits against the Association. Management is still attempting to resolve the dispute with a contractor that worked on the exterior refurbishment. The other matter – in which about 6% of owners are suing to rescind the Association's affiliation agreement with Starwood and for reimbursement of the funds expended for refurbishing the villas – is still in its early stages. All defendants -- Starwood entities and the Association -- have filed motions to dismiss the case. The legal fees to defend the Association in these cases must be paid out of Association revenues, and we regret the unfortunate necessity of spending some of our operating funds on this litigation.

Hotel news
TripAdvisor has determined that the Westin St. John is now in the top 10% of vacation destinations that it ranks. As some of you know from a recent email from SVO, the resort is still being improved, with a high probability that the main resort pool and deck will be redone this fall. In addition, two of the six cabanas will be removed to make room for more chaises.

Sincerely, your owner-elected members of the Board of Directors,

Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Robert Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Thanks for the update, David. I love to see things such as discounted offerings for current owners!

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
It is so refreshing to have a BOD that actually MANAGES the resort, and COMMUNICATES with owners! :clap::clap::clap:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It is so refreshing to have a BOD that actually MANAGES the resort, and COMMUNICATES with owners! :clap::clap::clap:

I wholeheartedly agree - early in this thread it is interesting to read the historical development of getting Phil and Bob on the WSJ-VG HOA BOD (for which this thread played a large role... IMO). Too bad others do not seem to keep this in perspective.

Can 94% of Owners sue the 6% of Owners for trying to sue 100% of the Owners? :wall:

Perhaps if having Owner-Reps on the WSJ-VG HOA BOD continues to be a positive interaction - SVO will decide that there is benefit in this approach at other resorts. But, WSJ is unique...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A few comments on the recent communication from the Owner-elected Representatives on the WSJ-VG HOA: {aka - my opinion...}

Re Owner Directory: I hope all that are aware sign-up for the Directory. While it is difficult to know if it wil be of value - just the fact that SVO is allowing it is reason enough to sign-up.

Re Weeks for sale: I think this is a great program to get these VOIs back into hands of people capable of paying the MFs. It is unfortunate that the MFs went up so much so fast (real issue) - that Owners had to give them up. 44 weeks is only about 2/3rds of the weeks available - I wonder what will happen to the rest? I assume these are low season weeks.

Re Energy: Glad to see futher movement to Solar - WAPA (USVI energy) costs are out of control.

Re Free-Cycle shed: My recent experience is that there were plenty of beach chairs in the FC Shed (way cool because they are expensive to rent/buy), but nothing much else. I love the idea of a card reader - I do not care if BV owners use it (give and take), or not, as long as it gets used - but should be protected from people not staying on the resort.

We were talking about this topic during our visit and think it would be reasonable for the HOA to supply (and replace when worn) beach chairs like the ones that we found in the FC shed (picture below), and then be re-used by guests as they come and go. It can't really be to costly, and would alleviate a large hassle on the island (availability of beach chairs...). We would gladly chip-in for a couple.

Re WiFi: We were fine with basic signal while there as we have no need to stream video(I see enough TV/Movies at home, and it is nice to take a break). For those who need better internet access - I think it is reasonable to have a small additional charge since this can be easily managed (a bit different scenerio than supplying chairs - However, I would be happy to rent chairs if reasonable cost - if other Owners didn't want this). I feel the same about the other SVO resorts - those who require high-speed internet should pay for the cost to maintain it.

Re wall in B41-42: Having been in these villas - I can see where we would prefer a wall. It will be interesting to see how this pans out - since Owners are a diverse group.

Re chair for Balcony in 2Bd villas: Great idea - I do not like to drag DR chairs out there so we can all sit on the balcony. It would also be nice if there was a shade umbrella available on the end units (like ours) since now that they cut our shade tree down - it is blazing hot! and to hot to sit outside in the sun.

Re Pending Litagation: ARG! Can I sue the 6% for suing me needlessly?

Thanks again Phil and Bob (if you ever lurk here anymore...)

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Latest communication from WSJ-VG HOA
Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Owner:

We recently participated in a conference call meeting of the Board of Directors of our timeshare condominium owners association, and this is our regular report to you. This is a shorter report than we usually provide, as there have been no major developments since our last report in March.

Owner directory and website
Although we have experienced a frustrating year-long delay, the website on which owners will be able to buy, sell, rent or exchange weeks (or fractional periods) is nearing completion, and we hope to have it up and running by the end of the year. Meanwhile, because there has been such a long delay, the Board asked management to circulate a new voluntary owners’ directory. You should recently have received an email inviting your participation; if you want to be listed and to receive a copy of the directory, be sure to reply by the end of July.

I received this email but not the previous one regarding the directory. Can someone provide me a link or PM me the info about how to have us included in the directory or getting a copy?

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I received this email but not the previous one regarding the directory. Can someone provide me a link or PM me the info about how to have us included in the directory or getting a copy?

Thanks!

Sorry LisaH - It looks like I deleted the email so I do not have the link. Not sure if the link was specific to the Owner or not. Sometimes these emails end up in spam folder. You can email Phil and ask. I wonder how many email addresses that they have that are correct, and therefore many people are unaware. If you email Phil - you may want to mention this to him.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Zero beach chairs in FreeCycle this week ... LAME!

So taking the owners update tomorrow for my $125 ... and they threw in a free lunch.

I can't wait to tell them I bought week 28 two bedroom for $2900 and see if they can match that deal :)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I can't wait to tell them I bought week 28 two bedroom for $2900 and see if they can match that deal :)

too bad about the chairs - I may write Phil and suggest the idea to supply a couple of beach chairs per villa - or allow for resonable price rentals (or something...)

Not sure why you would want to egg Sales on - when you know that they won't match price, they can't, and they do not need to... as there are plenty of fish out there. (besides... they already know as your ownership history is part of their sales sheet)

I find the sales folks at WSJ to be pretty nice folks and most have lived on StJ for years and just trying to make a living like everyone else...
probably better to just say you already own and love your villa - and are not looking to buy more.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any chance the VG HOA will be doing another sale of timeshares ... I would love to get a week 27 or 29 unit to go alongside my week 28.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Good point ... I won't gloat. They are going to try to get me to convert my SVV unit to a STJ unit.

or try and get you to 'upgrade' to a BV villa or a 3Bd pool villa - that is usually what they try and discuss with me - but my line is that I am happy with what I have, and already own more weeks than I have vacation. That pretty much gets me out fast.

Any chance the VG HOA will be doing another sale of timeshares ... I would love to get a week 27 or 29 unit to go alongside my week 28.

Not for a while - I believe their letter stated that they will give an update to the HOA in November (iirc)

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
or try and get you to 'upgrade' to a BV villa or a 3Bd pool villa - that is usually what they try and discuss with me - but my line is that I am happy with what I have, and already own more weeks than I have vacation. That pretty much gets me out fast.

Not for a while - I believe their letter stated that they will give an update to the HOA in November (iirc)

Why wouldn't the HOA just keep the listings always open to try to get more people paying MFs?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Why wouldn't the HOA just keep the listings always open to try to get more people paying MFs?

Not sure why...

getting an adjacent week is good idea, but best to make it same villa as others may have different check-in day (this cannot be changed) - besides hassle to move villas (IMO)

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two questions:

1. Is this accurate (pulled from VRBO listing):

The 3BR 'Pool Villas' were built from scratch and have their own private pools, courtyards and 2,850 sq.ft. of two level space! The 3BR Pool Villas are NOT 'up the hill'. They are on FLAT GROUND and do not require incline walking. Parking is right in front of the Villa. The new 3BR 'BAY VISTA' units are hotel rooms converted into timeshare condos.

Curious as it's hard to tell on the map. They look far away from the main pool area, but since I have no bearings, I don't have the right perspective.

2. Wht is the best/most efficient way for me to get to see three different types of units: BV 3br; Hillside 2br; 3br Pool Villa? I've never gone on a timeshare tour or "owner's update," and I've chosen not to in the past regardless of incentive since I don't like to waste my vacation time; however, would like to be prepared with a strategy in case we decide we want to pursue ownership at WSJ. At this point, it seems like the 3br pool villa would be the best fit for our needs.

Thanks for any help.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ czar, 1. Yes, on flat ground. The non-3br Hillside units are up the hill. The distance/separation from the rest of the resort is why they have their own pools. There are people who love the separation - and the view.

2. Without meeting owners during the stay or breaking in, the owner's update is about it. Be prepared for 2 hours or more for the sales pitch. Salty

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Two questions:

1. Is this accurate (pulled from VRBO listing):

The 3BR 'Pool Villas' were built from scratch and have their own private pools, courtyards and 2,850 sq.ft. of two level space! The 3BR Pool Villas are NOT 'up the hill'. They are on FLAT GROUND and do not require incline walking. Parking is right in front of the Villa. The new 3BR 'BAY VISTA' units are hotel rooms converted into timeshare condos.

Curious as it's hard to tell on the map. They look far away from the main pool area, but since I have no bearings, I don't have the right perspective.

2. Wht is the best/most efficient way for me to get to see three different types of units: BV 3br; Hillside 2br; 3br Pool Villa? I've never gone on a timeshare tour or "owner's update," and I've chosen not to in the past regardless of incentive since I don't like to waste my vacation time; however, would like to be prepared with a strategy in case we decide we want to pursue ownership at WSJ. At this point, it seems like the 3br pool villa would be the best fit for our needs.

Thanks for any help.

The difficulty in walking a certain distance or incline is relative to the person. So can't answer. The 3Bd pool villas are not far IMO - but certainly further than BV villas. There is no real incline to the 3Bd pool villas - there is a short incline to the BV villas. As to being built from scratch - isn't every building built from scratch. Or do they mean that they weren't converted from hotel rooms (BV buildings were hotel buildings once)? So... Overall - Question #1 is accurate.

Also - you can see the differences in distance (and a bit on elevation) between the various buildings on Google Earth.

As to #2 - to see the real differerences you will likely need to do a tour. However, there are photos and videos of these villas. I have posted these for our 2Bd Hillside (Photobucket and YouTube). I did have videos of the 2Bd BV villas and surrounds on YouTube, but took them down. If I traveled with 6 people - I would choose the 3Bd pool villas - they are nice - IMO YMMV.

This has been discussed - and choice between VG and BV is a personal preference - we like our 2Bd TH VG villa for reasons previously discussed here. The ability to park, be away from the main resort, and have a pool within a few steps from our villa - is something we like. They are not as fancy from an interior design perspective - but that is less important to us.

Status
Not open for further replies.