• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^ czar, 1. Yes, on flat ground. The non-3br Hillside units are up the hill. The distance/separation from the rest of the resort is why they have their own pools. There are people who love the separation - and the view.
Thanks - that's helpful. I guess visiting will give us the right perspective. I was a little concerned about the Hillside units with 3 kids (5,3,1) trudging up or down a hill. With both my wife and I, its not a huge deal, but for one of us, it would be difficult for the foreseable future.
2. Without meeting owners during the stay or breaking in, the owner's update is about it. Be prepared for 2 hours or more for the sales pitch. Salty
Ok, thanks. As long as know it in advance and can plan, at least we know. I guess it's probably better to get it done with toward the beginning of the trip. The closest I've come to attending is watching the process at SVR. Just looked painful.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
The difficulty in walking a certain distance or incline is relative to the person. So can't answer. The 3Bd pool villas are not far IMO - but certainly further than BV villas. There is no real incline to the 3Bd pool villas - there is a short incline to the BV villas. As to being built from scratch - isn't every building built from scratch. Or do they mean that they weren't converted from hotel rooms (BV buildings were hotel buildings once)? So... Overall - Question #1 is accurate.
Thanks - yes, we're "young" (at least I'd like to think so!) and active, it's the three kids in tow that make it a challange. We own a unit at Captiva, and it's either a long walk, short bike ride, or easy trolley to the beach. But to go back and forth to have lunch and escape the heat is important, and it's not easy for one of us to do so with all 3 kids. I could see navigating a hill being tough for our two youngest, both of whom still enjoy being carried. I stayed at the Fairmont Southampton in Bermuda and made the mistake, after missing the shuttle that only ran every 20-30 minutes or so, of walking back up from the beach area carrying our 1 yo, and I was definitely tired - and hot!
Also - you can see the differences in distance (and a bit on elevation) between the various buildings on Google Earth.

Great idea - always forget about Earth!
As to #2 - to see the real differerences you will likely need to do a tour. However, there are photos and videos of these villas. I have posted these for our 2Bd Hillside (Photobucket and YouTube). I did have videos of the 2Bd BV villas and surrounds on YouTube, but took them down. If I traveled with 6 people - I would choose the 3Bd pool villas - they are nice - IMO YMMV.
Yes, there are currently 5 of us, and I see the pool villas, with their pools, dedicated grills and outdoor space, and 3 bedrooms (we have 2 girls and a boy, so eventually that would come in handy) being a win-win for us. My wife vacationed with a family of 6 in small hotel rooms. My family always rented a house at the Cape ir Outer Banks, so we've found the TS route to be perfect for us - I am a beach guy, she's a pool and amenities girl, so these types of resorts are the perfect combo. It looks like the 3BR PV as being the ultimate going that route.

This has been discussed - and choice between VG and BV is a personal preference - we like our 2Bd TH VG villa for reasons previously discussed here. The ability to park, be away from the main resort, and have a pool within a few steps from our villa - is something we like. They are not as fancy from an interior design perspective - but that is less important to us.
I've read through the entire thread, and my guess is we will need to experience it for ourselves. I don't care much about the interior design so much as I care about the amenities.

Thanks again for the great feedback.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just in case it would interest anyone, I've been randomly checking for President's Week avaiability across a bunch of SVN resorts, and WSJ has low avaiability for a 3BR:
Check-in
Fri, February 14, 2014
Check-out
Fri, February 21, 2014
7 nights
Villa 3 Bedroom Villa
Max. Occupancy 10

Tried to book and confirmed it is available with phone rep - then realized I'd transposed the 6 and the 9, so my 169k SO don't cut it (I think it was 196,900)!

EDIT: actually, not as crazy as I though I was. I knew I had enough SO's between what I banked (81k) last year and the 169 I have for 2014. For some reason they were missing 44k of my SO's. Ghost in the machine I guess. I'm on hold while they try to resolve. Some issue with one of my weeks (resale) being listed but not pulling the SO. Strange because I see them accurately reflected in MyStarCentral. Holding tight as I'd love to try the 3br villa!

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Got it. It's in BV. (Just saw you edited your post after I called Starwood. Wouldn't have called except you originally said you did not have the necessary 196,900 StarOptions.) Salty

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Got it. It's in BV. (Just saw you edited your post after I called Starwood. Wouldn't have called except you originally said you did not have the necessary 196,900 StarOptions.) Salty

Glad you snagged it Salty. They just were able to link my accounts now.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's in BV.

Well, that makes the lost opportunity easier to deal with - we are staying in BV in 2 weeks, so I was really looking to stay a 3BR pool villa (wishful thiking I guess!) - nevertheless, any availability for Presidents Week is a find.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner's Update was quick, interesting, and a bit disappointing.

I was told that they were allowing owners in SVV to take all their equity and apply it to a unit in STJ. That was somewhat true. I "have $28,900" in equity in my SVV unit and they did have a week 27 unit for $31,000. However Starwood will only do a equity change like that if they are getting +$20K. Oh well, the update was quick after that. :clap:

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Owner's Update was quick, interesting, and a bit disappointing.

I was told that they were allowing owners in SVV to take all their equity and apply it to a unit in STJ. That was somewhat true. I "have $28,900" in equity in my SVV unit and they did have a week 27 unit for $31,000. However Starwood will only do a equity change like that if they are getting +$20K. Oh well, the update was quick after that. :clap:

Sounds about right, every deal that involves another unit (retro, upgrade, trade) seems to require at least $20K in new monies...

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, big thanks to Salty for helping me out after I lost the Pres Week reservation yesterday because of the issue with my account.

Second, just scored a 3BR unit for Sat-Sat Pres Week. I asked which association it ws in, and the rep told me that it would not be determined until a few days before check-in? That did not seem to make sense - I undetstand that I would not get an actual unit assignemnt until then. The confirmation just says Sat-Sat, 196,900 SO, 3BR, sleeps 10. Any idea how I may be able to find out? I realize the # of SO's are the same for BV and Hillside.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
Second, just scored a 3BR unit for Sat-Sat Pres Week. I asked which association it ws in, and the rep told me that it would not be determined until a few days before check-in? That did not seem to make sense - I undetstand that I would not get an actual unit assignemnt until then. The confirmation just says Sat-Sat, 196,900 SO, 3BR, sleeps 10. Any idea how I may be able to find out? I realize the # of SO's are the same for BV and Hillside.

Here's the deal. They probably do know what section you're in, but since they reserve to right to change it, and have in fact changed SO requests at the last minute, why would they want to commit to it?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim) NEW: 2 Lawa'i Beach Resort!
Not revealing info about the location of your reservation is standard Starwood policy - even for home resort reservations. As Lisa said, it gives the front desk more flexibility.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's the deal. They probably do know what section you're in, but since they reserve to right to change it, and have in fact changed SO requests at the last minute, why would they want to commit to it?
DeniseM said:
Not revealing info about the location of your reservation is standard Starwood policy - even for home resort reservations. As Lisa said, it gives the front desk more flexibility.

Makes sense but still seems strange to me. Although they sleep the same number, there's a huge difference between a BV 3br and a 3br pool villa; much different, from my mind, from location of a view or floor or area of the resort. Interesting that there's not a way to discrminate between them for booking purposes. I guess you can only guarantee that if you own that type of unit?

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Makes sense but still seems strange to me. Although they sleep the same number, there's a huge difference between a BV 3br and a 3br pool villa; much different, from my mind, from location of a view or floor or area of the resort. Interesting that there's not a way to discrminate between them for booking purposes. I guess you can only guarantee that if you own that type of unit?
I agree that most people would think there is a large difference. I also have a 3BR reservation coming up in a few weeks at WSJ. I was told it would more likely be BV but they did note my preference for a VG pool villa. I intend to also make my request for a pool villa known when the concierge makes their normal contact two weeks or so prior to my stay, although my expectations are low since most of these are fixed unit, fixed week and are aggressively marketed for rental. Either way I am jacked for my stay. Just so the blender works!! :)

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We are getting ready for our trip to St John in a week. Can the regulars tell me what we need to bring for the essentials? For instance, does the Westin provide enough laundry detergent? We are new owners and have only stayed at the hotel portion before. Thanks!

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're headed out next weekend too. Was looking around because I know David had posted a packing list around here somewhere. Just can't find it!

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are getting ready for our trip to St John in a week. Can the regulars tell me what we need to bring for the essentials? For instance, does the Westin provide enough laundry detergent? We are new owners and have only stayed at the hotel portion before. Thanks!

They supply a starter set of everything, such as laundry detergent, a small bottle of dishwashing liquid, and one caf and one decaf coffee. So I bring these.

I also always throw in a few kitchen bags. I always use them, if not for trash, then to store wet clothes or snorkel gear on the way home.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Off the top of my head... YMMV

KS fitted sheet (now with ink-stain...)
Parasheet for beach - also Neat sheet (water proof)
Soft-sided cooler
Coozies
Peets coffee (ground for flat-bottom filter)
Snorkel, mask, flippers
Sun shirts (SPF50+) - love the UnderArmour Heat Gear (loose)
Water-shoes
Unscented bug spray (DEET)
Sun-screen and after-sun lotions
Portable speakers (Bose, Jambox) - including cheap beach speakers
Mini-mini RCA cable
iPod
Sun hat
Water-proof bag
UW camera/video (Olympus TG820)
Veggie steamer
Aluminum tongs
Unscented laundry detergent (concentrate)
Spices (dry and liquid) - and salt/pepper

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks Dave! I expected the KS fitted sheet would be on the list but did not know it is on the very top...;)

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Off the top of my head... YMMV

KS fitted sheet (now with ink-stain...)
Parasheet for beach - also Neat sheet (water proof)
Soft-sided cooler
Coozies
Peets coffee (ground for flat-bottom filter)
Snorkel, mask, flippers
Sun shirts (SPF50+) - love the UnderArmour Heat Gear (loose)
Water-shoes
Unscented bug spray (DEET)
Sun-screen and after-sun lotions
Portable speakers (Bose, Jambox) - including cheap beach speakers
Mini-mini RCA cable
iPod
Sun hat
Water-proof bag
UW camera/video (Olympus TG820)
Veggie steamer
Aluminum tongs
Unscented laundry detergent (concentrate)
Spices (dry and liquid) - and salt/pepper

This list misses kitchen knives.
Since I got great ones at home I keep sharp I like to travel with them since the knives in any rental are not treated as well.
Of course this means I need to check my luggage!
They knives travel in these.
http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Cu...375579711&sr=8-9&keywords=travel+knife+holder

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
I've become a big fan of single-use laundry detergent for travel. Easy to put a bunch of them in a double zip lock baggie (baggie and then another baggie) and in the suitcase. I used to take powdered detergent since we do carryons but single use is much easier. Single-use dishwashing detergent, too, if you'll have 6+ people in your unit that will use all the dishes at every meal.

Also on my list -- 10 each ziplock bags in gallon and quart sizes for leftovers, small roll of aluminum foil, and newly added to the list: small roll of duct tape.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We also bring quart and gallon size zip locks and AL foil.
We put liquid ultra concentrated (unscented) laundry soap in a small Nalgene bottle with screw cap.

We have it down to 2 checkin bags that weigh 50# each (for 2week trip) - which reminds me - I also bring a luggage scale after hassle at LIH for 2 extra pounds.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! I have a pretty good idea now what to take with us.
LisaR, the starter kit sounds the same as the ones provided at the Maui properties and Harborside. In Maui, we had no problem to obtain additional laundry packets whereas at Harborside we had to pay extra for these. I will make sure to put some in my lugguage.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got back from STJ. There is no need to bring laundry detergent, dish soap, coffee, or dishwasher soap.

Every time we run out of any of those a quick service call gets a free delivery of all of those.

That has been my experience at all starwood resorts.

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just got back from STJ. There is no need to bring laundry detergent, dish soap, coffee, or dishwasher soap.

Every time we run out of any of those a quick service call gets a free delivery of all of those.

Every time I call for service, I tip the delivery person. I think it'd be cheaper to just bring them from home! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.