• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
What's up with those closing costs??

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Their fixed (incl check-in day), but they can float (rare) within a season at 8-10 months out.

There are a few valuable weeks (probably gone already...) - surprised that the people who owned these couldn't deal with them - but good opportunity for some owners (not me). And great for the HOA...

Interesting that the proposed MF is about same - that is a good sign.

Last edited:

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are these really all fixed weeks or does WSJ have seasons like other resorts?

Fixed weeks for older Hillside or VG phase. Mandatory (StarOptions) on resale.

Float weeks (3 seasons) for newer BV phase. Voluntary (no StarOptions) on resale.

No units at WSJ are lockoffs. The weeks for sale are in the older (but renovated) Hillside or VG phase. Salty

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Find a friendly WSJ owner and they could buy and flip to you?
Another 1700 in closing but still could be worth it?

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 2

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I own 2 weeks at WSJ but have never paid those high closing costs.

Currently, approximately closing costs are $525 if you use a USVI closing company (or lawyer) - advised... (IMO)
The cost may also include property taxes (?) and other fees (perhaps?) - but it is the cost of doing business - so incorporate into purchase cost (which is soon dwarfed by MFs...).
They are cheaper resales than some of these...

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
From On-StJohn: Renovations at Westin, but hotel to stay

http://www.on-stjohn.com/2013/06/19/renovations-at-westin-but-hotel-to-stay/

The Westin Resort will start renovations of its six poolside and beachside buildings in August, part of a $12 million project that’s expected to take until next spring to complete, but, they will come back online as hotel rooms, not vacation ownership timeshares.

Because of the renovations, seasonal layoffs may extend into high season (owner Starwood Hotels and Resorts says that’s yet to be determined) and the number of hotel rooms available will be down through the winter, though the Westin won’t renovate all six buildings at once, minimizing the impact on rooms available.

Starwood also tells us if you’re staying at the Westin this winter, you shouldn’t be disrupted by the work.

The Westin Resort & Villas converted some of its hillside buildings to vacation ownership villas a few years ago, about 150 in total.

In addition to the 96 poolside and beachside rooms, there are still another 76 hotel rooms in lower hillside buildings, and we’re told the Westin has no plans to end the hotel room side of the resort.

It’s a great property. We’re glad to hear it’s not completely converting to ownership.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
@DavidnRobin - thanks for the tip on Amalie Car rental. Reservation set, and "You will receive compl. pick up/drop off at the airport." :)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
@DavidnRobin - thanks for the tip on Amalie Car rental. Reservation set, and "You will receive compl. pick up/drop off at the airport." :)

No problem - they were excellent once again. I met the new Owner (Amy) and she plans to keep same business model (new cars with a slight premium).

Took ~30mins from STT/RedHook. $4 for car barge lot (going... no charge returning) - car barge lot is right next to passenger ferry. $30 one-way (only do one-way as you do not want to wait on the return). Car barges are continiously coming and going. About 20min to cross StT-StJ channel and then about 5min to WSJ.

Very easy...

The more I rent on StT and take car barge - the more I am convinced this is the way to go under most circumstances. Especially if you are staying in the VG villas, and traveling with 4 people. I could easily run to the store (prefer StarFish over StJ Market - IMO) and pick-up something quick and get back in no time. Also, freedom to go to a beach - check out conditions and go to another (or both). It is ~17 minutes from our villa to Trunk Bay - that savings of time is worth a lot to us. The flexibility makes renting an easy decision - even if the car is not used every day. Heck, when the shuttles aren't around - I will drive down to the resort.

Another thing I heard - is that when the seas are high - some people on the WSJ ferry were getting wet depending on how full it is (and some sea-sick...) - I heard this a few times (iirc somebody in the ferndale party experienced this...). The car barge is a large ship - and while it rocks - no where near the WSJ ferry and a much shorter ride.

Last edited:

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are the staroptions charts different for BV and Hillside? What would I expect to pay for a resale 2br or 3br BV float weeks 19-33?

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why are the staroptions charts different for BV and Hillside? What would I expect to pay for a resale 2br or 3br BV float weeks 19-33?
They are two different phases. Same as there are two charts for Maui.
Platinum Plus will command a large premium but you are looking at Platinum.
There are a couple listed here.
http://www.remaxstjohnrealestate.com/st_john_timeshares_for_sale.php
http://www.remaxstjohnrealestate.com/details.php?list_number=12-264
http://www.remaxstjohnrealestate.com/details.php?list_number=12-263
Also here...
http://www.stjohncondos.com/buysell.htm
Also here...
https://www.omvillas.com/Villas-for-Sale.html
And redweek aslo has one up for $21k
http://www.redweek.com/resort/P200-the-westin-st-john-bay-vista-villas#sales

There is another site somewhere in this thread that others recommend that has many listings

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Because when they built BV they changed the seasons to better coincide with demand. They also increased the SOs for the VGV phase to better align with BV - for example they increased our SOs from 67.1K to 81K SOs. I am sure this was discussed somewhere in this thread back then. I think this is the only instance where SVO altered SO assignment

Resale BV does not come with SOs.
BV has 3 types - 3Bd, 2Bd Loft, and standard 2Bd.

Not sure what the resale cost is for these - they are still in active sales.
There is no ROFR.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Note all Hawaii SVN properties have exact same value per unit. There may be three different properties, but they have the same StarOption cost and so may easily be considered similar value. It's much more confusing when there are different values for units at the same resort, such as WSJ, even though there are two different HOAs.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

There is another site somewhere in this thread that others recommend that has many listings

As Ken said - same seasons in HI. I am not sure about SVV and SVR resorts - if the have same seasons or not - or is WSJ the only one.

The other is Islandia Realty on StJ - they have many WSJ TS weeks for sale.
The resale price of BV will be interesting to watch as the resort sells out, and MFs increase (eg SVO stops subsidizing).

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
As Ken said - same seasons in HI. I am not sure about SVV and SVR resorts - if the have same seasons or not - or is WSJ the only one.
The SO Value chart indicates that the Bella phase of SVV may be different.
'Weeks in season available for Bella phase Home Resort Owners to reserve in the Bella phase may differ from the weeks in seasons required to access the same phase for other Starwood Vacation Network members.'
I see Atlantis splits the difference of the WSJ with a Wk 17 end of P+. WSJ being 15 and 18 (which is interesting to note if you are trying to trade in with StarOptions.

The other is Islandia Realty on StJ - they have many WSJ TS weeks for sale.
The resale price of BV will be interesting to watch as the resort sells out, and MFs increase (eg SVO stops subsidizing).
http://www.islandiarealestate.com/condo.cfm?Attributes.Type=Timeshare
How much is the subsidy, the MF there is pretty out there already!

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is there any way we would be able to see a Hillside unit when we visit?

Which type? During our Owners Update they took us to see a 3Bd pool villa, and I saw them showing others a 1Bd and studio villas. I have photos of our 2Bd TH villa.

czar

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I loved St croix when I visited and think I'll like St. John even better. Since we'll be staying in BV would like to see a 2 or 3 br hillside unit if possible. I've never gone on an owners update before. Since I own other SVO weeks, is that possible?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sales people will want to talk to you, no matter who you are! :)

The concierge at the reception lobby will do his best to get you to sign for an update, or you can walk down to the sales office and make an appointment. You can then ask the sales person about what you want to see.

If you don't want to take a tour, you might be able to get someone at the reception lobby to let you see a room. I haven't tried at WSJ, but at other resorts you can ask the front desk if they will let you peek at an unoccupied unit, and they will often oblige. Someone will either go with you, or sometimes they'll give you a key.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am closing on 3428 Week 28 EY this month. Looking forward to WSJ every year for the next 30+ years!

FYI ... My closing fees were $750 to the closing attny and $516 to the St. John Goverment

I found my timeshare on Timeshare Broker Services. :banana:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am closing on 3428 Week 28 EY this month. Looking forward to WSJ every year for the next 30+ years!

FYI ... My closing fees were $750 to the closing attny and $516 to the St. John Goverment

Congrats - welcome to B34... and becoming one of the Hill People.

Status
Not open for further replies.