• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a 2BR Loft reserved in July---(totally lucked into it using options)...
Which building should we "request" at checkin? I'm not even sure they allow us to request, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to have an idea about where we might want to be...We are travelling with our 2 boys (age 10 and 6) so I would guess proximity to the pool would be preferred.

When you reserve using StarOptions, you make your preference known at the time of reservation. If you call back to Starwood Owner Services, you can add your preference to your reservation.

IIRR, the 2-br Loft in the BV section requires exactly the same number of StarOptions as the 2-br in BV for a reservation. The 2-br Townhome is in the VG section. Does your confirmation really specify a 2-br Loft? Salty

SLC

Reaction score
Hi Sam - are you talking about a 2Bd townhouse or premium for Hillside (VG)?
(this is an important distinction) Are you looking for a valuation of your week?

Thanks for the reply David. I'm not exactly sure which type of unit, specifically unit 3228. We originally purchased it not expecting to ever go back to WSJ. Purchased to trade and we have had some great vacations. Come to find out we really love it in St. John and have gone back 3 times since purchase and are going back this summer. (we have never stayed in the unit we own)

We were one of the lucky people that purchased one of the foreclosures last year at a better time of the year. We are not currently in the market to resell. maybe someday when the TS market picks up. I was just curious as to what the asking price is these days through Starwood.

Sam

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi Sam - are you talking about a 2Bd townhouse or premium for Hillside (VG)?
(this is an important distinction) Are you looking for a valuation of your week?

Thanks for the reply David. I'm not exactly sure which type of unit, specifically unit 3228. We originally purchased it not expecting to ever go back to WSJ. Purchased to trade and we have had some great vacations. Come to find out we really love it in St. John and have gone back 3 times since purchase and are going back this summer. (we have never stayed in the unit we own)

We were one of the lucky people that purchased one of the foreclosures last year at a better time of the year. We are not currently in the market to resell. maybe someday when the TS market picks up. I was just curious as to what the asking price is these days through Starwood.

Sam

Hi Sam -
3228 is a Townhouse villa - the current MFs are ~$2400. I asked because the 2Bd Premium villas (single-floor design) are in B31 and their MFs are similar to the 3Bd pool villas (yikes!).

I am somewhat confused about you saying that you purchased a 2Bd TH (3228, week 35) to use as an exchange - what type exchange? do you mean via SVN? or another exchange type (II, RCI, etc)?

When you say you have never stayed in your own villa - what villa did you stay in, and how did you get to stay in another villa other than your own? I asked this because WSJ-VG VOIs are fixed villas and fixed weeks (including check-in day) - we have always stayed in our villa during our weeks (except a few days when our villa was smoked for bees)

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
When you reserve using StarOptions, you make your preference known at the time of reservation. If you call back to Starwood Owner Services, you can add your preference to your reservation.

IIRR, the 2-br Loft in the BV section requires exactly the same number of StarOptions as the 2-br in BV for a reservation. The 2-br Townhome is in the VG section. Does your confirmation really specify a 2-br Loft? Salty

Hmm...thanks so much for the heads up! The reservation used 95,700 options--2BR that sleeps 10 it says. On the phone with Starwood they said "loft, " but I don't see that specified on the ressie...Way bigger than we need actually either way, but it'll work...So I'm not exactly sure what we'll get then.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hmm...thanks so much for the heads up! The reservation used 95,700 options--2BR that sleeps 10 it says. On the phone with Starwood they said "loft, " but I don't see that specified on the ressie...Way bigger than we need actually either way, but it'll work...So I'm not exactly sure what we'll get then.

Congrats on your SVN exchange - a great villa at a great resort.
(oops - there I go bashing Starwood again <-- inside joke)

I had never noticed that the SOs needed for an SVN exchange into a 2Bd WSJ-BV are the same for a Loft and Standard floor plans. Yet, the Loft sleeps 10 people and the Standard sleeps 8 people. So - it looks as if you have a Loft if that is what they told you about occupancy, but it is interesting that the reservation confirmation does not distinguish villa type. Does it confirm the occupancy of 10 people? if it states 10, then it will be a Loft which is really sweet.

It is odd that they have the same SO value as the 2Bd Lofts appear to be superior to the 2Bd Standard in both size and occupancy number

The Lofts are really nice - so I would make sure you tell them it is for 10 people as they could switch up on you if it is only 8 people since it appears that these are SO equilvalent villas and that is all they owe you (95700 SO villa)

The upper BV buildings (24-27) are relatively the same distance from the resort pool - so not sure if one building is better than another. The lower BV buidlings (21-23) are closer to the pool, but not sure if they are open yet. Check out the WSJ resort map:
http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif
I have never stayed in one, but have seen both - the Lofts are much nicer and roomier - and have views, but does involve stairs as compared to the Standard.

The water is drinkable at WSJ as they have their own system, but we always bring a Brita that we use just for travel (just like we bring our own fitted sheets) and filter the water. We live in an urban area with great water (Hetch Hetchy), but Robin still insists on filtering our water. We also buy some water as well when we are there. We always joke that water and Rum costs about the same on StJ (not really true...).

Last edited:

OCsun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from WSJ

It has been three years since we last stayed at our pool villa. Seeing our villa again was like seeing a long lost loved one. We did not realize how much we missed the place. :). The villa courtyard and pool resurfacing looked wonderful. The beaches are as beautiful as ever and the comfort of the Westin was first class.

One of the two things we will do differently next year is wait to purchase our food at the grocery store around the corner from the Westin. It seemed to meet all of our needs and prices were very close to what we paid for the groceries on St Thomas. We can buy meats and fresh items daily.

The second thing is to pack only a few very comfortable shorts, tee shirts and bathing suits. We get laid back and lazy on this island. Nobody wants to dress and go out to dinner - it's just too easy to toss something on the grill, make a salad and grab a cold drink, while the grand kids swim in the pool. :whoopie:

Can you tell we love this place!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It has been three years since we last stayed at our pool villa. Seeing our villa again was like seeing a long lost loved one. We did not realize how much we missed the place. :). The villa courtyard and pool resurfacing looked wonderful. The beaches are as beautiful as ever and the comfort of the Westin was first class.

One of the two things we will do differently next year is wait to purchase our food at the grocery store around the corner from the Westin. It seemed to meet all of our needs and prices were very close to what we paid for the groceries on St Thomas. We can buy meats and fresh items daily.

The second thing is to pack only a few very comfortable shorts, tee shirts and bathing suits. We get laid back and lazy on this island. Nobody wants to dress and go out to dinner - it's just too easy to toss something on the grill, make a salad and grab a cold drink, while the grand kids swim in the pool. :whoopie:

Can you tell we love this place!

Excellent - just 5 weeks left for us - getting more excited by the day. Robin has been buying new clothes for June - with me of course asking what was wrong with the old ones? and why do you need 7 pairs of shoes! ;)

Of course, I need to pick-up a new underwater camera/video as my last one no longer works. But other than that - I am ready to go.

Made arrangements for Ted (Teds Supper Club) to come to our villa to cook our anniversary dinner.

Last edited:

SLC

Reaction score
Hi Sam -
3228 is a Townhouse villa - the current MFs are ~$2400. I asked because the 2Bd Premium villas (single-floor design) are in B31 and their MFs are similar to the 3Bd pool villas (yikes!).

I am somewhat confused about you saying that you purchased a 2Bd TH (3228, week 35) to use as an exchange - what type exchange? do you mean via SVN? or another exchange type (II, RCI, etc)?

When you say you have never stayed in your own villa - what villa did you stay in, and how did you get to stay in another villa other than your own? I asked this because WSJ-VG VOIs are fixed villas and fixed weeks (including check-in day) - we have always stayed in our villa during our weeks (except a few days when our villa was smoked for bees)

We have only ever exchanged our week within SVN. We've stayed in other units at WSJ because we booked different weeks( at a different time of year) than what we own.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The upper BV buildings (24-27) are relatively the same distance from the resort pool - so not sure if one building is better than another. The lower BV buidlings (21-23) are closer to the pool, but not sure if they are open yet. Check out the WSJ resort map:
http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif

Buildings 21-23 are still part of the hotel. Those are the ones that will be refurbished and turned into timeshares. When I was there the first half of April, they still had the wood finish that the hotel rooms have, and met someone staying there on a hotel reservation.

I wouldn't worry much about which BV building I got. They are all pretty nice. I'd prefer an upper floor, but it would also not be a critical item. It may be that the lofts are all second floor, with the loft up on the 3rd level. I can't remember for sure.

Here are the various floor plans. The standard 2 BR has two balconies, one off the living room and one off the master BR. This means the master BR also has a much nicer view of the outside. The loft unit only has one balcony on the lower level and smaller windows upstairs, but has more square feet overall. Personally, I'd prefer the standard 2BR in a high floor if I didn't really need to sleep 10.

I stayed in a third floor unit in building 25 (2533) and liked not having inside stairs to get between the kitchen and my room. It was nice for everything to be on one floor, but then it was just my wife and I. I suppose if it had been more people it might have been nice for the early risers to be able to go downstairs and not wake up the rest of the group. Same if someone wanted to stay up late.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score

The only 2-br that sleeps 10 is the 2-br Loft in BV. If the confirmation says that. That's what you'll get. The regular 2-br in BV only sleeps 8. Good trade! Enjoy! Salty

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We have only ever exchanged our week within SVN. We've stayed in other units at WSJ because we booked different weeks( at a different time of year) than what we own.

So if I understand correctly... you are original owners at WSJ, but have not stayed in your villa during your week. But have stayed in other villas during other times of the year (which would have to be within your season). I assume you using the Home Resort period for Fixed Owners at 8-10 months out to find a 2Bd TH villa available? And the other times you have used SVN to exchange into other SVN resorts?

Exchanging a WSJ villa via SVN is not a great use of SOs (IMO) - especially before they increased these to 81K SOs (from 67.1K SOs) a few years ago. The MFs are so high at resorts like WSJ and HRA (and even the HI resorts) that using a SVN exchange is pretty much exchanging downward (unless you are exchanging within HI, or HI to WSJ/HRA).

You are the first person I have heard about that has exchanged their WSJ-VG villa in the Home resort exchange period (8-10 months) for WSJ-VG (and apparently often at that...). I was always under the impression that this is too difficult - especially when there are have limited villas (2Bd TH) that you can exchange into during the same season.

Last edited:

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
The only 2-br that sleeps 10 is the 2-br Loft in BV. If the confirmation says that. That's what you'll get. The regular 2-br in BV only sleeps 8. Good trade! Enjoy! Salty

Yes, it specifically states "sleeps 10". Yay!

Thanks for the help answering questions everyone!! So helpful! I'm sure we'll have more as we get closer!

-polly

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it specifically states "sleeps 10". Yay!

Thanks for the help answering questions everyone!! So helpful! I'm sure we'll have more as we get closer!

-polly

Love the two bedroom lofts at WSJ. They might even be my favorite Starwood unit type at any of their resorts.

- And just to note, I am posting that without any prejudice to the view......that would be different.

SLC

Reaction score
So if I understand correctly... you are original owners at WSJ, but have not stayed in your villa during your week. But have stayed in other villas during other times of the year (which would have to be within your season). I assume you using the Home Resort period for Fixed Owners at 8-10 months out to find a 2Bd TH villa available? And the other times you have used SVN to exchange into other SVN resorts?

Exchanging a WSJ villa via SVN is not a great use of SOs (IMO) - especially before they increased these to 81K SOs (from 67.1K SOs) a few years ago. The MFs are so high at resorts like WSJ and HRA (and even the HI resorts) that using a SVN exchange is pretty much exchanging downward (unless you are exchanging within HI, or HI to WSJ/HRA).

You are the first person I have heard about that has exchanged their WSJ-VG villa in the Home resort exchange period (8-10 months) for WSJ-VG (and apparently often at that...). I was always under the impression that this is too difficult - especially when there are have limited villas (2Bd TH) that you can exchange into during the same season.

David, You are correct on all points. We've been to Hawaii,Harborside etc.
It just took luck and persistence.
Back to my original question. Any idea what Starwood's asking price for a unit like mine is these days?
Sam

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David, You are correct on all points. We've been to Hawaii,Harborside etc.
It just took luck and persistence.
Back to my original question. Any idea what Starwood's asking price for a unit like mine is these days?
Sam

I thought this was covered. SVO-WSJ does not sell these unless returned to inventory (via trade-ins). The best way to find out if there are any of these types for sale (2Bd TH, low season) is to directly call Sales at WSJ.
The resale price is $2-4K if you can find a buyer looking for this week and villa type.

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love the two bedroom lofts at WSJ. They might even be my favorite Starwood unit type at any of their resorts.

- And just to note, I am posting that without any prejudice to the view......that would be different.

I agree 100%. The loft unit is amazing!

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Check in days by building for Pool villas and rest of hillside vs. bay vista?

Ok, I literally read every page of this thread and saw nothing specific about check in days equalling a certain phase or anything like that. I went to WSJ in 2012 and got a hillside 2 bedroom loft unit, so I felt we definitely lucked out, we were stoked! We had no clue before we arrived which phase we were going to be put in.

Bottom line is that we fell in love with the 3 bedroom pool villas (we bought an eoy but rescinded). I already know that building 43 & 44 have the solid walls and hot tubs and want to try to get in there with star options. I already know to say I need to sleep only 8 to try to get those units ( bay vista 3 bedrooms sleep 10).

So, assuming that I want to go in low season, when my anniversary falls, and I want to book a three bedroom unit using SO's, is there a way to try to book a certain check in DAY to ensure or at least give me a better chance at A) ideally ensuring getting in building 43 or 44, or B) at least ensuring I get a pool villa vs a Bay Vista 3 bedroom unit.

The reason this is important is because we will have a large group as we plan to renew our vows and want to have a home base with private pool and grill and patio etc, which just won't happen in the BV units. And in a perfect world, I would want that solid wall and hot tub, too. Yes, I know I am expecting a lot. I went on islandia's website, hoping I could answer this question, but it seems the pool villas have all 3 check in days, even within the same building (?) so I am hoping those listings are just plain incorrect.

So, if owners could pipe in with what types of units in which phase have which checkin days, that would help me, but may also help other people looking to narrow their odds to a particular phase or certain type of unit besides pool villas. Unless you are in a studio, (hillside only) it seems like it is hard to figure out where you will be placed on an exchange.

On another note, last time we were there we booked a hotel room to extend our trip one more night at the end and they had us in building 22 , a 2 bedroom 2 floor unit! A considerable upgrade from what I booked (the basic room). We enjoyed it very much but noted that the decor and furnishings were quite dated, probably original to when built, so if they do convert that to timeshares, I don't see how that could be accomplished without spending a considerable amount.

TIA for your help!

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
According to the Check-in Days chart at MyStarCentral, both phases have all 3 check-in days.

Both times I've done an SVN exchange, I've been placed in a 2 bdrm loft. The first time, I was told upfront that I'd get a loft. The second time, I booked a regular 2 bdrm. The reservation agent divulged, by process of elimination, what phase I was reserving, even though they're not supposed to. However, later they changed my reservation to a 2 bdrm loft. I found out only by looking closely at the confirmation they sent shortly before we arrived.

As an exchanger, if you request a 3 bdrm, the only thing guaranteed is that you'll get a 3 bdrm. Even if you do get booked in a 3 bdrm in the building of your choice, you may get bumped to another building, and you'll have no recourse.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
As mentioned - both phases ave Fri, Sat, and Sun check-in days. Be aware that (for the most part) the 3Bd pool villas are fixed weeks with fixed check-in days, and do not float like the BV phase villas.

fmzip

Reaction score
We just back from our marriage/honeymoon in St John. We stayed for two weeks this year, renting a huge villa yet again.

During our stay, a friend of ours suggested that if we love the island and plan to keep coming back that we should consider a timeshare. Fortunately, I found this forum today as I just contacted the Westin directly as well.

SO from what I've read, it's best not to buy direct, correct? Still trying to understand what these points are all about as it's a bit confusing. I read the FAQ but I am still confused!.

Ideally, I think we'd like to get two weeks. One week is just to short in St John. As it is just my wife and I, should we just get a Studio? The townhouses look to be more our style. The seclusion and privacy is more our style than the resort area.

Besides Islandia, are there other places we should be looking for listings? Trying to get a rough idea of what we should expect to pay for 2 weeks in late march or mid-late April. AM I also understanding the fees correctly, if they are listed at $3000 annually for example, we'd be responsible for 1/52 or 1/26th of this? Are there any other fees?

Last edited:

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
We just back from our marriage/honeymoon in St John. We stayed for two weeks this year, renting a huge villa yet again.

During our stay, a friend of ours suggested that if we love the island and plan to keep coming back that we should consider a timeshare. Fortunately, I found this forum today as I just contacted the Westin directly as well.

SO from what I've read, it's best not to buy direct, correct? Still trying to understand what these points are all about as it's a bit confusing. I read the FAQ but I am still confused!.

Ideally, I think we'd like to get two weeks. One week is just to short in St John. As it is just my wife and I, should we just get a Studio? The townhouses look to be more our style. The seclusion and privacy is more our style than the resort area.

Besides Islandia, are there other places we should be looking for listings? Trying to get a rough idea of what we should expect to pay for 2 weeks in late march or mid-late April. AM I also understanding the fees correctly, if they are listed at $300 annually for example, we'd be responsible for 1/52 or 1/26th of this? Are there any other fees?

Islandia is your best source for WSJ listings. Redweek is also a good resale/rental source.

I do agree that 1 week is not enough, but with my work schedule, I am stuck with 7-10 day trips.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Ideally, I think we'd like to get two weeks. One week is just to short in St John. As it is just my wife and I, should we just get a Studio? The townhouses look to be more our style. The seclusion and privacy is more our style than the resort

AM I also understanding the fees correctly, if they are listed at $3000 annually for example, we'd be responsible for 1/52 or 1/26th of this? Are there any other fees?

If you want to buy a studio unit on the hillside, you will have to buy resale, they sold out of those long ago. You want two peak time weeks, so expect to pay top dollar. If you ever plan on having kids you may want to rethink the studio and get a one bedroom (sleeps 4) or two bedroom (varies). Try to buy the consecutive weeks in the same unit so you don't have to move mid stay. Also fixed weeks are the same week of the year every year so make sure you can always take time off then. Two weeks sound good now, but will you always want two weeks even after going ten times? Think hard.

Make sure to read all the newbie stickys. The annual maintenance fees you see in ads are per interval, so if it says $3,000 annual and you want two weeks it will cost you $6,000 per year. And those costs aren't static, they increase yearly, so think hard. A timeshare can be a burden if it no longer fits your budget or your vacation needs and they are hard to sell. Become a member and look on the for sale ads. However, westin St. John (WSJ) is a very desirable timeshare, but it still is by no means an investment. Read all you can before you buy, and don't buy until the haze of this vacation wears off.

fmzip

Reaction score
Thanks for the great reply.

I can see that this really doesn't make much sense to me at first glance but I will continue to read on. I'd rather rent a house of my own instead for the cost of a two/three bedroom timeshare.

There must be something I am missing here as to why people buy timeshares on St John, I am definitely not seeing the benefit. The Westin is a nice establishment but certainly not the most fabulous resort on the planet so what are the factors that draws one in to buy a timeshare here?

If you want to buy a studio unit on the hillside, you will have to buy resale, they sold out of those long ago. You want two peak time weeks, so expect to pay top dollar. If you ever plan on having kids you may want to rethink the studio and get a one bedroom (sleeps 4) or two bedroom (varies). Try to buy the consecutive weeks in the same unit so you don't have to move mid stay. Also fixed weeks are the same week of the year every year so make sure you can always take time off then. Two weeks sound good now, but will you always want two weeks even after going ten times? Think hard.

Make sure to read all the newbie stickys. The annual maintenance fees you see in ads are per interval, so if it says $3,000 annual and you want two weeks it will cost you $6,000 per year. And those costs aren't static, they increase yearly, so think hard. A timeshare can be a burden if it no longer fits your budget or your vacation needs and they are hard to sell. Become a member and look on the for sale ads. However, westin St. John (WSJ) is a very desirable timeshare, but it still is by no means an investment. Read all you can before you buy, and don't buy until the haze of this vacation wears off.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.