• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
There must be something I am missing here as to why people buy timeshares on St John, I am definitely not seeing the benefit. The Westin is a nice establishment but certainly not the most fabulous resort on the planet so what are the factors that draws one in to buy a timeshare here?

I, too, love renting homes when I vacation, and have stayed in some incredibly nice homes. There will definitely always be a place for that in my travels.

However, timesharing also has its unique perks, because it offers a nice hybrid between a private home and a hotel resort. You still get a lot of space to spread out, your own private bedroom and bath, a fully-equipped kitchen, bbqs, washer/dryer, private lanai, etc, but paired with the amenities of a resort -- on-site restaurants and bars, kids' clubs, tennis courts, on-site car rental, on-demand taxis, gorgeous pools with poolside service, and clean, dry towels whenever you want one.

WSJ is also fairly unique in that rental rates (during the winter, when I want to travel there) are significantly higher than maintenance fees. So for people who buy at WSJ, the break-even point is much narrower than at other locations where rental rates are very close to MFs.

IF I were to buy another timeshare, it would be at WSJ.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the great reply.

I can see that this really doesn't make much sense to me at first glance but I will continue to read on. I'd rather rent a house of my own instead for the cost of a two/three bedroom timeshare.

There must be something I am missing here as to why people buy timeshares on St John, I am definitely not seeing the benefit. The Westin is a nice establishment but certainly not the most fabulous resort on the planet so what are the factors that draws one in to buy a timeshare here?

Just saw this. As an owner of 2Bd TH Hillside (VG) villa at WSJ (and lover of StJ) - a few things. For me... (aka IMO) - I would not buy a studio; at a minimum I would buy a 1Bd even if it is only 2 people. These reasons have been discussed, also discussions around whether BV or VG section - and there are many diverse opinions on this. As usual, much comes down to what matters to the individuals traveling.

Certainly StJ is not for everyone, and the same hold true for WSJ. Why buy or rent WSJ - versus renting a villa on StJ? Again, the opinions will vary. No doubt, in most cases, these are better than staying in the major hotels (Caneel, Westin {hotel-part}), but mainly for the reasons that people here what in TSs over hotel stays for long-term stays. {Not saying that Caneel, or WSJ are not great places to stay - esp w/ $$$ - just by comparison}

As to WSJ vs. StJ villa - again it comes down to many factors around expectations. We like the consistency, lack of hassle, and the known expectations of vacationing in our villa and at the resort. Since I am pretty much responsible for vacation - I am very happy (nowadays) going to the same places/resorts - which explains our SVO TS vacations - yes, I have become boring... but this causes less stress for me. (so purely selfish reasons...)

I follow many of the villas on StJ - mainly because most blogs are RE and rental oriented (and if I hit the Lottery - I am ready...) and I keep up on StJ news. There are certainly fantastic villas on StJ - some less expensive and some more (you generally get what you pay for...). I already own WSJ - so I am not going to change, but if I didn't and I were to find a great villa that fits our needs (low hassle, and what we want - like AC in the bedroom, a view, location, easy in/out...), and at a good cost - I would be all over it. But remember that WSJ-VG MFs have gone up 50% since I bought in 2006 (also the villas/buildings/resort have been extensively remodeled) - so not to long ago it was considerably less expensive. Also, BV has been built creating more availability. Also, having fixed weeks - it forces me to plan and take the vacation that in the past I would put off to the last minute (or not take) if I didn't have that commitment (selfish AND lazy). This is the only thing that ran true from the TS sales spiel.

I have recently gotten information for 2 different groups (n=2, 4) for StJ villa stays (too late for them to rent from an owner at WSJ). In looking at availability and prices - definitly the larger the travel party the better the villa (more for the $/person). For just 2 people it becomes harder to find adequate villas and locations. Certainly they exist, but the best villas for the most part cater to parties of 6-10.

There are a lot of great vacation villas on StJ, and some for less $/day that seem to be quite nice - but WSJ is also very nice. It is certainly not a dichotomy (one is better than the other) - as it comes down to individual factors.

and then there is always the lottery... of course, I fail to buy tickets.

added - it appears that LisaR and I (once again) - share the same idea and timing.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Nice.....Wish we were heading back soon.

Last weekend, we locked in our 2 bedroom loft for May 10th and we have our July 19th week for 2014 locked in too. In July, we can call to get our third week locked in for the July 2014 trip.

Nice.
Hopefully, we will run into each other again someday.

I just got a new underwater camera/video for the trip - Olympus TG-820
$200 (incl shipping and tax) from 1SaleADay.com. Can't wait to use it.
(oops - this is not meant to be an endorsement - just that my last Olympus failed {my fault}, and Amazon wanted ~$260...)

There was a major violent storm last week - the videos were wild (I follow a StJ photographer on FB). I hear the road to Coral Bay is in danger of being undermined - hopefully it holds up for the next 5 weeks as it appears it will not be repaired for a while (typical USVI speed).

Last edited:

fmzip

Reaction score
can I get a link to the videos you mentioned?

I think we will stick to the villa rentals. We are more into the privacy than the resort theme. For the money, I'd rather rent a multi-million dollar home each year and not be tied potentially for life to a timeshare.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I think we will stick to the villa rentals. We are more into the privacy than the resort theme. For the money, I'd rather rent a multi-million dollar home each year and not be tied potentially for life to a timeshare.

Sounds like the best plan for your travel style. I've been renting from VRBO for a decade now, and have been very happy with the rentals.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

These are videos on FaceBook - so you need to Friend them. Some videos are likely on YouTube. The major part of the storm was late at night. Centerline road is becoming severely undermined - stories of this are reported on various online news blogs.

If you come across StJ villas that are magnificent and inexpensive to rent - let us know - I would be interested for others. I have seen a mix of good and bad reviews.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
14 days and counting - getting psyched!!!

Drive to Liss Lucy's (from Cemetery - and almost ended up there by a Water Truck collision at ~2:25). If all of a sudden coming across a Water Truck (or Cement or Dump Truck) bothers you - someone else should be driving. Stay Left! my friend ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=h9Rcc9th_VM

Last edited:

ferndale

TUG Member
Reaction score
15 days!! This will be our first trip to enjoy our new 3bed pool villa!! We will be available for drinks and dinner any night except tues (night dive), and Thurs (all day dive to wreck of the Rhone). I will pm you my cell number David!! Let me know when you want to come enjoy pupu's, drinks and whatever comes off the grill that night!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
15 days!! This will be our first trip to enjoy our new 3bed pool villa!! We will be available for drinks and dinner any night except tues (night dive), and Thurs (all day dive to wreck of the Rhone). I will pm you my cell number David!! Let me know when you want to come enjoy pupu's, drinks and whatever comes off the grill that night!!

Those pool villas are sweet - wish I knew more people that would want to travel to StJ from SF.
I sent our info via PM - and our photos are on the SVO people thread in case you run into us on the island (but picture us salty, sandy, burnt and partially soaked in rum).
I dove The Rhone in 1991 while sailing the BVI... be interested in hearing about it. I suppose you have to check into Sopers Hole than cut across the channel (bumpy) unless they have a dive before that and go around the backside of Tortola (we dove something called The Dogs iirc which was cool), and then head back across the island chain.

I am thinking of a sail charter just to sail and snorkel around (I miss that) - there's a few charters - so if anyone has recommendation?

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just as a point of reference, my wife was able to book a 2BR in BV for next year's Memorial Day week (May 24-31) this morning. We own a Platinum 2BR float unit in Bay Vista. Can't wait to get there!

The agent did mention that it becomes increasingly difficult, even for owners of St. John, to book weeks later in the summer. Not sure if we just lucked out since we didn't call in at exactly 9:00 am at 12 month mark, which was a week ago.

The agent checked for availability October, November and December this year, and nothing was available for a 7 night stay.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
They moved Labor Day to May? Those USVI folks sure are crazy... :D

Have you looked at the SVN availability calendar on MSC?
Added - there appears to be no villa that has 7 consecutive days for WSJ from Oct-Dec (yet) in the SVN Finder on MSC - I did see 7 days in Feb (22-28) 2014 - for those looking - that is high-season (hurry)

6 days away...

Last edited:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Since you book a year out and don't own there, I assume you used II?

Just as a point of reference, my wife was able to book a 2BR in BV for next year's Labor Day week (May 24-31) this morning. We own a Platinum 2BR float unit in Bay Vista. Can't wait to get there!

The agent did mention that it becomes increasingly difficult, even for owners of St. John, to book weeks later in the summer. Not sure if we just lucked out since we didn't call in at exactly 9:00 am at 12 month mark, which was a week ago.

The agent checked for availability October, November and December this year, and nothing was available for a 7 night stay.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Completely missed the Bay Vista part. I was hoping-maybe it is possible to get here after all...

SVN Calendar on MSC shows Feb22-28 in 2014 open (8 months out)... Call SVN Owner Services if you have SOs available

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A Limited-Time Offer from the Virgin Grand Villas StJ Condominium Owners Assoc.

just saw this... Unfortunately we do not have a PC with us right now at WSJ - so can't see villa offers.

Dear Virgin Grand Villas Owner,

Greetings from your Board of Directors! We are pleased to announce an Owner resale program which will allow Owners like you the ability to purchase Association-owned timeshare weeks. As you know, over the past few years a number of Owners have failed to pay their maintenance fees. As a result, these Owners were denied the use of the resort and their timeshare weeks were eventually transferred to the Association. The Association now owns approximately 73 timeshare weeks.

As an Owner, you are being offered the opportunity to purchase an Association-owned timeshare week at a substantially reduced cost. This offer is subject to the following terms:
Timeshare weeks are offered on a first come, first served basis. Please visit mystarcentral.com, “Your Owners Association” on the left side of the screen. Then click on “ownership opportunities” on the right side of your screen. This will take you to a listing of available timeshare weeks, associated price and instructions. If you own weeks at other resorts, please select the link for your Virgin Grand Villas timeshare week and you will be directed to the resale offer for this resort. Owners who are interested in purchasing a timeshare week must submit a request to purchase as detailed on the website.Once the submit button is clicked, an offer will be forwarded to us for submission. If you wish to only make an inquiry, please use the email address stated below.
Qualified Requests to purchase available timeshare weeks will be processed in the order received. A purchase contract and related disclosure documents will be mailed to owners with further instructions. An initial deposit of 50% of the purchase price will be required at time of returning the executed purchase contract.
Requests will only be deemed as Qualified Requests if the person submitting the request is an Owner in good standing with no outstanding balances due to the Association.
Timeshare weeks offered by the Association will be automatically enrolled in the Starwood Vacation Network (“SVN”).
Timeshare Weeks offered by the Association do not count toward SVN Elite status and may not participate in the SPG Conversion Program (exchanging the timeshare week for SPG or Starpoints). The Elite and SPG Conversion programs are funded by the Developer and are not available for this Association resale program.
This offer is limited to timeshare weeks owned by this Association.
The Association is not offering to take back any timeshare weeks. This is an offer to resell timeshare weeks already owned by the Association.
Please note that this is not a public offering but a limited term internal offer to Owners. This offer begins June 18, 2013 and ends July 17, 2013. Please note that the Association website will only be active beginning on June 18, 2013 at 12:00 P.M. EDT, until July 17, 2013 at 4:00 P.M. EDT. Any offers received before the offical starting time and date will not be considered. Should you have any questions regarding this information, for the fastest response time, please email us at 00svo-resaleoffer@starwoodvo.com.

Sincerely,
St. John Condominium Owners Association
Board of Directors

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'd love to know what prices they are offering these VOIs for. This is a great win-win for the owners and the resort.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Probably most are smaller units (studio/1BR) in off season...Will find out on Tuesday!

The 18th is Tues? Gotta love vacation in StJ...

We will be in the BVI on Tues. Last time I tried to get my villa for week25 - and someone beat me to it. iirc -$8500 (probably in this thread somewhere...)
Guy in opposite villa to ours in B33 - just paid $4500 per week foe weeks 23-24 adjacent.

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
SVO Sale

First, a plea for where I might find something that outlines the differences in the 3 bedroom pool villas based on unit number. I know some have a real wall upstairs and some don't. Some have a jacuzzi next to the pool and some don't. Not sure of any other differences. Is there any one place to see this? I found some threads but not enough to make sure I am clear what I may be buying.

Second, below is what they are charging for the VOI's being re-sold by the association. I was surprised at the number of good weeks available...and at some of the prices. I won't list all the weeks unless someone asks (and many are likely already gone) but I thought the price points would be a topic of interest. These are all in the Hillside section (only seciton I am an owner in - was there a concurrent Bay Vista sale?). NEVERMIND, I found a good thread! Love TUG!

Studio
Gold Plus - $500 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $2500 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum Plus - $8000 + $1700 closing costs

1 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $1000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $5000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum Plus - $12,000 + $1700 closing costs

2 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $5000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $8000 + $1700 closing costs
Platinum Plus - None available

3 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $7000 + $1700 closing costs
Platinum - $15,000 + $1700 closing costs

Last edited:

ajb116

Reaction score
First, a plea for where I might find something that outlines the differences in the 3 bedroom pool villas based on unit number. I know some have a real wall upstairs and some don't. Some have a jacuzzi next to the pool and some don't. Not sure of any other differences. Is there any one place to see this? I found some threads but not enough to make sure I am clear what I may be buying.

Second, below is what they are charging for the VOI's being re-sold by the association. I was surprised at the number of good weeks available...and at some of the prices. I won't list all the weeks unless someone asks (and many are likely already gone) but I thought the price points would be a topic of interest. These are all in the Hillside section (only seciton I am an owner in - was there a concurrent Bay Vista sale?). NEVERMIND, I found a good thread! Love TUG!

Studio
Gold Plus - $500 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $2500 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum Plus - $8000 + $1700 closing costs

1 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $1000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $5000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum Plus - $12,000 + $1700 closing costs

2 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $5000 + $1300 closing costs
Platinum - $8000 + $1700 closing costs

3 Bedroom
Gold Plus - $7000 + $1700 closing costs
Platinum - $15,000 + $1700 closing costs
Would love to be able to get these deals! Too bad I am not an WSJ owner yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.