• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
StJ 8-Tuff Mile Race - Google Earth

{bump}
A narrated tour of the 8 Tuff Miles road race held in St. John US Virgin Islands. Tour was created in Google Earth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu5USyUjhWA&feature=youtu.be

{interesting perspective - must be tough with the heat/humidity and climb - hard enough to just walk a mile}

Crasherino

Reaction score
Glad it amuses you. I was just responding to Crash who asked a few questions - I certainly did not need (or warrant) an attack from the sidelines. However, I will not back down when BS is thrown my way - especially when I have dealt with the twist of words before - and outright misrepresentation. jarta must have a record amount of Tuggers that have him on 'ignore' (or maybe e.bram), and now I do as well (again).

Of course I realize you Canadians are much more polite... ;)

And I greatly appreciate it - thank you kindly.

And as an aside, I just got back from PDC staying at the Esmeralda and while beautiful, only made me think how STJ is far and away superior in all aspects.

You can make a long list of shortcomings of the place but, like many other things, it pretty much falls into the category of "If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand."

Kinda like the Grateful Dead.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Always glad to help - on that note...
Listening to a JGB show (Mar19, 1980 Stanley Theater, Pittsburgh PA) as I write this... ;)
{and caught ALO at the The Fillmore-SF last Saturday}

Old and In The Way...

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well I'm wearing out google to keep up with you guys. PDC, JGB, ALO. :confused: Once Google gives me some results at least I am very familiar the Jerry Garcia Band and Playa Del Carmen. Never really listened to ALO but have heard of them. What's up with their original name David?? Were they big into animal rights or is that just a name, like Don Henley and Glenn Frey were not actually large birds of prey or members of a Benevolent and Protective Order? ;)

Anyway for my trip to WSJ later this year I think I am going to bite the bullet (wallet) and book the Westin ferry. My flight arrives a bit after 6 PM into STT so I know I will be tired and HUNGRY. An hour cab to Redhook plus waiting for the next ferry plus getting a cab at Cruz Bay late in the evening (all in the dark) sounds like a bit much for my virgin visit (no pun intended). I am thinking that getting to WSJ faster and having the folks at the Westin airport desk taking care of me is a good idea the first time around. I think I will wait for day 2 to get adventurous. BTW, love the info ITT (acronyms intended).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Well I'm wearing out google to keep up with you guys. PDC, JGB, ALO. :confused: Once Google gives me some results at least I am very familiar the Jerry Garcia Band and Playa Del Carmen. Never really listened to ALO but have heard of them. What's up with their original name David?? Were they big into animal rights or is that just a name, like Don Henley and Glenn Frey were not actually large birds of prey or members of a Benevolent and Protective Order? ;)

Anyway for my trip to WSJ later this year I think I am going to bite the bullet (wallet) and book the Westin ferry. My flight arrives a bit after 6 PM into STT so I know I will be tired and HUNGRY. An hour cab to Redhook plus waiting for the next ferry plus getting a cab at Cruz Bay late in the evening (all in the dark) sounds like a bit much for my virgin visit (no pun intended). I am thinking that getting to WSJ faster and having the folks at the Westin airport desk taking care of me is a good idea the first time around. I think I will wait for day 2 to get adventurous. BTW, love the info ITT (acronyms intended).

just a name... Orchestra to Liberate the Animal in all of us... (and not associated w/ PETA)

If you arrive after 6pm - you will be going to NPS dock close to RedHook to get the Westin Ferry as the Westin Ferry does not leave from Crown Bay at this time.{iirc - refer to Westin Ferry schedule to confirm} I did this one time to get back to WSJ when AA denied us boarding at STT due to being late (in one of my trip reports).

That said - it is nice for Westin folks at airport to take care of luggage and arrange Taxi (esp for 1st visit) to their ferry. You need to decide whether just taking the public taxi/ferry/taxi to WSJ is worth it compared to the cost of the Westin ferry as the time involved would probably be close to the same. However, big difference in effort (although not that hard to take public taxi/ferry/taxi). Keep in mind that public transportation charges for all large luggage (per piece) and at least the Westin Taxi/Ferry will not. Also, USVI ferry cost is about to go up (tbd).

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks David for satisfying my curiosity about ALO. I like their sound so I might pick up some of their stuff. I bet they are great live! BTW I had that Eagles reference wrong. They are the FOE (Fraternal Order). The BPOE are the Elks. Glad my father-in-law did not see that.

I believe you are correct on the later ferry times not leaving from Crown Bay based on some earlier posts ITT. If anything the extra cost will be worth it upon arrival at WSJ (rather than Cruz Bay) and mostly for the return trip to STT, as well as the fact it is taken care of and it is one less thing I have to orchestrate. Affording it is not that big of a deal and I am sure WSJ is banking on that and my piece of mind. After our recent nightmare airline saga to WLR in January a few extra bucks is worth it. On future trips hopefully I can find better connections that get us into STT earlier. Price was right on the air fare though. Heck of a lot cheaper than Hawaii from the midwest.

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
If anything the extra cost will be worth it upon arrival at WSJ (rather than Cruz Bay) and mostly for the return trip to STT, as well as the fact it is taken care of and it is one less thing I have to orchestrate. Affording it is not that big of a deal and I am sure WSJ is banking on that and my piece of mind.

I know they want a hunk of your wallet, but it's outrageous that they want a piece of your mind too. :)

I think you'll love St. John. It really is a special place.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks David for satisfying my curiosity about ALO. I like their sound so I might pick up some of their stuff. I bet they are great live! BTW I had that Eagles reference wrong. They are the FOE (Fraternal Order). The BPOE are the Elks. Glad my father-in-law did not see that.

I believe you are correct on the later ferry times not leaving from Crown Bay based on some earlier posts ITT. If anything the extra cost will be worth it upon arrival at WSJ (rather than Cruz Bay) and mostly for the return trip to STT, as well as the fact it is taken care of and it is one less thing I have to orchestrate. Affording it is not that big of a deal and I am sure WSJ is banking on that and my piece of mind. After our recent nightmare airline saga to WLR in January a few extra bucks is worth it. On future trips hopefully I can find better connections that get us into STT earlier. Price was right on the air fare though. Heck of a lot cheaper than Hawaii from the midwest.

Much like GD and JGB (and Phish) - ALO is best live (I only listen to live concerts of these bands - actually, for most bands). Check out archives.org for free (legal) music. Also, there is a very good weekly Podcast for the GD called The DeadPod - essentially a set per week from various shows. To keep this on track for WSJ/StJ - check out The Beach Bar for music. We saw a good JamBand there a couple of years ago. Also, Inner Visions (local Reggae band) plays at The High Tide quite often recently.

WSJ will take care of everything upon arrival - so if cost is not an issue, then good way to go. Plus, getting hit by the heat/humidity upon arrival - you may like going easy. btw, Cruz Bay is only about 7 mins from WSJ.

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
it's outrageous that they want a piece of your mind too. :)

If they run that sucker into a reef again while I am on it they WILL get a piece of my mind!!! ;) I am really looking forward to St John and will have a hard time waiting. I have always wanted to explore the Caribbean. My wife has always been set on Hawaii. So I guess to comprimise we always took our family trips to Colorado skiing. Makes sense, huh? At least the slopes are an easy drive from here.

I'd love to eventually get an EOY ski week at WRMV or SSR. They are on my future visit list but am not hopeful I will ever get a ski week on SO's. Getting into WSJ was hard enough!!! Maybe I'll just stick to the beaches from here on out.

Kyle

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If they run that sucker into a reef again while I am on it they WILL get a piece of my mind!!! ;) I am really looking forward to St John and will have a hard time waiting. I have always wanted to explore the Caribbean. My wife has always been set on Hawaii. So I guess to comprimise we always took our family trips to Colorado skiing. Makes sense, huh? At least the slopes are an easy drive from here.

I'd love to eventually get an EOY ski week at WRMV or SSR. They are on my future visit list but am not hopeful I will ever get a ski week on SO's. Getting into WSJ was hard enough!!! Maybe I'll just stick to the beaches from here on out.

Kyle

It wasn't the Westin ferry that hit the reef - the Westin ferry is a smaller boat than the USVI ferries.
Make sure your wife knows what to expect (mainly heat, humid, bugs) - as StJ is very different than HI. One of the guests that rented our villa last year took about 4 days to acclimate - luckily they were there for 14 days. Also, the Caribbean is much more of a 3rd-World experience and not for everyone.

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
It wasn't the Westin ferry that hit the reef - the Westin ferry is a smaller boat than the USVI ferries.
Make sure your wife knows what to expect (mainly heat, humid, bugs) - as StJ is very different than HI. One of the guests that rented our villa last year took about 4 days to acclimate - luckily they were there for 14 days. Also, the Caribbean is much more of a 3rd-World experience and not for everyone.

You are probably right. I read it somewhere in the middle of this topic and it was originally posted that it was the Westin Breeze but that may have been incorrect. As I recall it was early AM and had mainly WSJ employees on board. No biggie, just an attempt at some weak humor by me.

I expect the H&H and the 3rd world feel. We both exercise and stay reasonably fit and are acquainted with dealing with bugs. We are also both from rural areas so prefer that feel. Probably why we liked Kauai much better than Kaanapali. I'd hike a long way to find a beach with no one else on it. My only caveat is that I can hike back in time to catch happy hour!!! ;) BTW, thanks for the live music suggestions. I am booked in early Sept so I hope there is something still going on although I have heard the island slows down quite a bit then.

Crasherino

Reaction score
Hi Crasherino -

I own a BV 2BR loft annual floating platinum plus week. If you are limited to traveling on either Christmas or President's week I don't think a floating week would work for you. You would likely need to purchase a fixed week. I believe Starwood prices an annual fixed 2BR loft unit during Christmas or President's holiday week at around $99k - a substantial premium over the floating Platinum plus week.

The usage goes by the calendar year so a Christmas 2013 week would be 2013 usage and relate to your 2013 maintenance fees and President's week in 2014 would be 2014 usage relating to your 2014 maintenance.

I believe the maintenance fees are currently being subsidized by SW so that they are not an impediment to sales. Once the BV units are substantially sold - I expect they would likely become more comparable to the hillside units.

Buying a BV platinum plus week - especially a holiday week - resale is very tough to find and if you really wanted the 2 BR loft unit - I think it would be virtually impossible to find. You'd probably be looking for many years - just my guess. These units are very pricey and I don't believe the price is negotiable with SW. I was able to do an upgrade trading in an off-peak WMH unit I previously purchased from the developer plus a sizable cash payment. Best of luck!

Steve- I must have missed this pos the first time around but very helpful - thanks.

Have you tried to book a holiday week with you floating week? If so what was your experience? I suspect you have to do it 52 weeks to the day - which is fine - but if its a crapshoot even then, I won't be too happy.

Not set on a 2bdrm loft only, but I was certainly most impressed by those. Seem to have more room than even the 3bdrms. And the cost from a 2bdrm to a loft to a 3bdrm doesn't change to greatly.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
Hi Crasherino - Sorry I can't give you any helpful information. We just bought our 2BR loft unit last year and have not tried booking a holiday week. So I can't provide any insight into the level of difficulty of securing it for Christmas, President's week, etc. However, I suspect you'd need to call immediately at the opening bell on the first eligible booking date and even then I suspect it would be a "toss of the dice". Keep in mind there are only 8 2BR loft units and it is likely that 4 of them would be committed to fixed holiday week owners. Given that these weeks would be extremely valuable to people trying to rent their units - there would likely be a large percentage of owners competing to secure the holiday weeks. If I could only travel during holiday weeks (which is not the case for us) I think it would be too risky to purchase a floating week.

Last edited:

Crasherino

Reaction score
Question on a specific unit at VG....I've seen an ad for unit 3112 that is described as a "premiere condo" and an "end unit". Also, the square footage is listed at 1,000 - which seems to be smaller than usual.

Is this just a function advertising variance or is 3112 a bit different than your standard 2 bdrm unit?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Question on a specific unit at VG....I've seen an ad for unit 3112 that is described as a "premiere condo" and an "end unit". Also, the square footage is listed at 1,000 - which seems to be smaller than usual.

Is this just a function advertising variance or is 3112 a bit different than your standard 2 bdrm unit?

These may be the single level 2Bd villas (called Premium) - I would stay away - the MFs are the same as the 3Bd pool villas - makes no sense. The layout is on-line.

JCubed

TUG Member
Reaction score
These may be the single level 2Bd villas (called Premium) - I would stay away - the MFs are the same as the 3Bd pool villas - makes no sense. The layout is on-line.

This is actually something I've been curious about - does anyone have any insight into why the VG 2BR "premier" - which is 200 square feet smaller than the standard VG 2BR - has such a higher MF? What happened there?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2011 Property Tax - WSJ-VG Vote

Heads-up...

The 2011 Property Tax bills are going to be sent soon. iirc, property taxes are still at the 1999 rate. {for reference - we pay about $133 for each of our 2Bd TH weeks in June}
Property taxes up to 2010 should already be paid. With 2011 paid, that will just leave 2012 left to catch-up on back taxes.

Also - the on-line proxies (via email) for upcoming WSJ-VG HOA vote have been sent out.
Make sure you vote - even if it is just for the purpose of a quorum (bottom of form). No surprise... my votes are going to Bob/Phil, but do your own diligence.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Rumor time... (Starwood buying Pond Bay)

I tried to find more information about Pond Bay Club, but the latest post I found was on Trip Advisor, mentioning mid last May that the May 2 auction was withdrawn a couple of days before it was scheduled.

I'll see if I can find out more about the area when I am there in April. The area is pretty much adjacent to WSJ.

How about this for a rumor?
Starwood buying Pond Bay and turning into a W hotel (from TripAdvisor)

http://barnako.typepad.com/news_of_st_john_usvi/2013/03/rumor-of-a-new-st-john-hotel.html

This would be good for people trying to use SPs for StJ. Not so good for WSJ-VG/BV owners who rent out their TSs (more competition...). This sort of makes sense if the rumors are true that WSJ plans to turn the rest of their hotel umits into WSJ-BV VOIs.

Please note - I used the word 'rumor' multiple times...

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
What is the consensus on a rental car agency on STT? We are looking at all our options...thinking now we might rent the car IN St. Thomas and ferry over to St. John. Thank you!

edit...I apologize, I found the answer--Amalie Car Rental. Thanks!

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
What is the consensus on a rental car agency on STT? We are looking at all our options...thinking now we might rent the car IN St. Thomas and ferry over to St. John. Thank you!

Hi Polly - This is what I do (as often mentioned) and I highly recommend this as well. It is not hard at all, but may seem daunting at first. Although, it may not be the consensus - but we have now taken every method. The WSJ ferry is great, but just too expensive nowadays.

As we prefer our 4WD brand new (after some bad cars), and easy transfer process - we use Amalie Car Rentals (great people, and great cars). They meet us at STT with car and paperwork ready to go - and same with dropoff. The only downside is they do not take AMEX, and their vehicles are more expensive to rent (but believe me... worth it after 2 bad experiences with other rental agencies - unsafe cars). If you use them - tell them David from Genentech referred you (they may waive the pick-up/drop-off fee?). Do not wait to reserve - as there are limited vehicles. The car barge is inexpensive - buy only 1-way tix. It takes about 45mins (?) to get to the car barge in RedHook. There are signs that lead you to RedHook, but I will post directions as a follow-up (I keep them on my iPhone, but know them by heart now...).

Here is what I have on my iPhone... (with stops for shopping along the way - we do not stop anymore)
"Turn right out of the airport and continue along the waterfront through several lights until the very end where you take a left at the light. The WICO cruise ship and Havensight Mall and Yacht Haven Grande will be on your right. A Pueblo Supermarket will be kitty-corner across the street and you'll pass by (on the left) a small KMart and MacDonalds, etc. Stay in the right lane at the next light and go right onto Rte 38. You'll go up Raphune Hill which segues into Weymouth Rhymer Highway, A couple of miles down the road you'll come to a traffic light and a big sign on the left for Market Square East. Turn in there and you'll see CostULess right there.

When you come out of CostULess, turn left and continue on Rte 38. If you need to stop for anything else go into the Tutu Park Mall which will be on your left and where you'll find the big KMart and the supermarket Plaza Extra. Continue on Rte 38 after Tutu Park Mall and at the second light turn right to continue on Rte 38 which will take you past Wyndham Sugar Bay, Point Pleasant, Sapphire, etc. and all the way into Red Hook where the ferry terminal will be on your left.

Just take whichever barge is leaving first and best advised to get a one-way ticket as they don't honor each other's tickets and you don't want to get hung up on your return trip."

Easier than it sounds from directions above - there a little signs with a Starfish on them that leads you to RedHook - you will see them on Route 38. There is a small fee on the RedHook side in the car barge parking lot - this lot is right next to passenger ferry.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you so much for the info!!! So very helpful!!! Looking forward to WSJ!!!!

-Polly

Glad to help. Just follow waterfront until left turn at Havensight (most cars are making this left) and then make right on Rte 38 (a couple of blocks up) and follow signs on Rte 38 to RedHook to the entrance of the car barge. It is a bit hectic getting onto barge with locals cutting slow moving tourists off - but the car barge folks will direct you.

Enjoy StJ. Stay Left. Go Slow.

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
We found that (for 2 people) if we waited until getting to St John to pick up our car and then turned it in the day before we left, the savings on car rental more than paid for the ferry.
--bp

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We found that (for 2 people) if we waited until getting to St John to pick up our car and then turned it in the day before we left, the savings on car rental more than paid for the ferry.
--bp

Bob - Interesting point (and as I said in my response to Polly - not necessarily a TUG consensus...).

Of course it depends on the length of time you want to rent the car - the car size and season will also make a difference - these will factor into the cost of the car rental (generally true no matter where you are).

Have you done the math? Mine does not work out cheaper (or equilvalent) for the WSJ ferry - even for 2 people.

If you rent on StT - you will be renting for 7 days. So if you only rent for 5 days picking up in StJ (assumes Sat arrival with pick-up on Sunday, and return Friday to leave on Sat) - that would be around a savings of ~$90/day. However, and importantly, generally when you rent for a week you are getting the 7th day for free - this is true for both StT and StJ (e.g. check-out O'Connor's rates). So... you are only saving the cost of 1 day. $90 in this example. (remembering that there is a $3.75 per day tax that is imposed by the USVI)

Right now, iirc, the ferry cost is $120pp RT - so $240 for 2 people. With the car barge costing an extra $70 for RT (incl extra gas and lot fee) - this is a negative savings of ~$80 for 2 people in taking the WSJ ferry.
{I believe my math is approx correct: $90+$70 more for renting for 7 days on StT (vs. 5-day rental on StJ) vs. $240 for the WSJ ferry}

So... of course costing $80 more for the WSJ ferry may be worth the convenience for 2 people - but when you increase to 4 people - renting on StT makes clearly more financial sense - as it will be an additional $240.

In addition, generally StT car rentals are a bit cheaper than StJ, and that is not factored in. This is not true for Amalie Car Rental (the are more expensive by StT standards but ~equal to StJ). btw, as a data point our June trip (14 day rental of a new 4WD, 4Dr Wrangler XL) from Amalie is $540/week (total, incl tax and STT pick-up/drop-off), and their cars are almost brand new as they only keep vehicles for a short time (plus, having a mini-RCA in the car is worth a lot to us). Having a new vehicle is important to us (actually, not having an unsafe vehicle is more important to us...) - so I am willing to pay this premium. I have had 2 experiences where the vehicles were unacceptable (1x on StT from Dependable, and 1x from Conrad Sutton on StJ), but was stuck with them. And the 2 times I rented from O'Connor was not pleasant either... (but that is another story).

So... that is my experience (and math...) - YMMV
enjoy.

Last edited:

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
The size of the vehicle is actually one of our main concerns. We are traveling with our 2 boys (age 6 and 10), so 4 of us. With our luggage and checked cooler bags, we are needing a mid size SUV at least. Slightly concerned about driving it over on STJ. I've been reading reports of getting side swiped a bit.

We do have a spreadsheet going comparing the costs of renting the car in STT vs cabrides/ferry/5 day car rental (possibly from Conrad Sutton), vs Westin ferry/ shorter car rental....It's all expensive no matter which way you choose. We do want to ferry back over to STT one day to shop and take the kids to Paradise Point.

We will be there July 25-Aug 2, 8 nights--Thursday-Friday. So excited. So many options though as far as transportation goes. The transportation is the huge expense of course for this trip.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice!! So helpful for a newbie to STJ!

-polly

Status
Not open for further replies.