• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just wanted to thank David, Lisa, jarta, Bob, and all the other WSJ vets for the information. And thanks to Emu for asking great questions!!! We recently got a 3-BD BV booked on SO's the first week of Sept (Fri-Fri stay) so we could check out the property and the island for the first time. I figured it would be a good time to find an opening given the time of year and the fact school has restarted. A few family members will be joining us though travelling separately. We will be doing the anti-hurricane dance for the next 8 months!!!

Kinda torn on which ferry to book. The Westin ferry looks convenient but we arrive in STT at 6PM so it is after the ferry times that depart from Crown Bay apparently. It appears the final Westin ferry at 7:30PM which they have added departs from Redhook anyway so will probably just take the public ferry and endure the cab/bus thingy ride. The money saved should almost pay for one ticket on the Bad Kitty if we decide to do that. The car barge is definitely out of the question as we arrive after the last one departs.

We will have to try to figure a way to watch our beloved college football team on Saturday so will plan a resort familarization day around that. I am looking into the slingbox type of systems but have read that internet connections are not fast so will probably be disappointed trying to stream video from BTN2GO. No biggie if it does not work too well. We will have food and grog and a pool and beach....and can just check the score later!!!

Lots of time to plan our week. Waiting until Sept will be the hard part!!!!

oneohana

TUG Member
Reaction score
The $120 still includes unlimted shopping trips to St Thomas. The shopping pass is for people that didn't take the WSJ ferry over.

steve1000

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin: Mission Hills, Desert Willow, Riverfront Mtn Villas, Kierland, Flex
Marriott: Grande Ocean, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs
Hyatt: Beach House, Coconut Plantation, High Sierra Lodge,
Four Seasons: Aviara, Scottsdale.
Royal Haciendas
We will have to try to figure a way to watch our beloved college football team on Saturday so will plan a resort familarization day around that. I am looking into the slingbox type of systems but have read that internet connections are not fast so will probably be disappointed trying to stream video from BTN2GO. QUOTE]

We had good internet connectivity last year from our BV unit. I hope you get to see the game. As a fellow Husker fan - GO BIG RED!

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for this thread! 45 pages+ whew...lots of info. Haven't read it all yet...but wanted to ask a question regarding grocery delivery...has anyone used villafoodvi? I've emailed them and called with no response, so we were wondering if they are still afloat?
Here is the link...http://www.villafoodvi.com/
Their selection seems somewhat limited. Cost of delivery? Any input is appreciated! We totally lucked out in reserving (using staroptions at the 8 month mark) a 2 BR Loft this summer. We're excited to take our 10 year old and 6 year old to a new island!!! Taking everyone's advice on transportation from STT and exploring renting a car/ferry/etc...

Thanks so much! -Polly

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Steve. Sounds like it will be worth taking the equipment even though we are not likely to use the TV much outside of the Husker game. I always have to take my laptop on trips anyway for (sigh) work emergencies....or what others THINK are emergencies.

Really looking forward to experiencing St John. GBR!!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thank you for this thread! 45 pages+ whew...lots of info. Haven't read it all yet...but wanted to ask a question regarding grocery delivery...has anyone used villafoodvi? I've emailed them and called with no response, so we were wondering if they are still afloat?
Here is the link...http://www.villafoodvi.com/
Their selection seems somewhat limited. Cost of delivery? Any input is appreciated! We totally lucked out in reserving (using staroptions at the 8 month mark) a 2 BR Loft this summer. We're excited to take our 10 year old and 6 year old to a new island!!! Taking everyone's advice on transportation from STT and exploring renting a car/ferry/etc...

Thanks so much! -Polly

Make sure you read the trip reports.

Never used a food delivery service. The StJ Market is right next to the resort - <5 mins from 3Bd pool villas (?) - so it is easy to get to. I do believe that WSJ will supply some groceries. Contact the Concierge -
Concierge.01098@westin.com or Phone: 340.693.8000 extension 1936

People also use taxis to take them to grocery stores - StarFish Market is between Cruz Bay and WSJ, and I often see taxis outside. We use both StJ and Starfish Markets, but we bring a vehicle over from StT.

It seems that businesses and people (generalizing...) of StJ take pride in the lack of being internet saavy, and move quite slow with regards to emails.
It is always best to call - make sure you say
'Good Morning/Afternoon/Evening' and make small talk - always helps especially if you are talking to a true islander (you can tell by the thick accent).

Enjoy and important to remember 2 things about StJ (USVI)...
Go Slow
Adapt

and you will enjoy your visit much more.

Oh yeah... the power will go out, it will rain, and there will be mosquitoes (and noseeums).

Last edited:

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much! I'm going through several of your trip reports now! So much helpful info! Many thanks!

gigi1313

Reaction score
Just booked for early August and I'm incredibly excited! I know I have a lot to learn... Starting with: what to pack? Also, do the 2br units have washer/dryers?
Plan to do a little cooking, maybe some grilling, and a few restaurants... suggestions on groceries, restaurants, etc happily accepted!

Could someone point me in the direction of trip reports or this property?
THANKS!!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Just booked for early August and I'm incredibly excited! I know I have a lot to learn... Starting with: what to pack? Also, do the 2br units have washer/dryers?
Plan to do a little cooking, maybe some grilling, and a few restaurants... suggestions on groceries, restaurants, etc happily accepted!

Could someone point me in the direction of trip reports or this property?
THANKS!!!

Excited for you.
Need to peruse this thread. I linked trip reports not too long ago (post 1088) and there are plenty of linked sites to all things StJ.
The villas are fully contained - so yes to washer/dryer.

Last edited:

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm wondering if there is a stovetop AND oven in a 2BR Loft...I've read conflicting reports. That will be a huge factor in what items we bring in cooler bags. Thanks!

applekor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ-VG (3 bd pool phase 1 and phase 3),WSJ-BV (3bd, 2bd loft),WKV,VBC
Stove top but no oven. Microwave is a convection oven

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is stove top/microwave the standard for the 1BR units too?

Is it worth trying to get a specific 1BR unit, or are they all about the same up on the hillside?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Is stove top/microwave the standard for the 1BR units too?

Is it worth trying to get a specific 1BR unit, or are they all about the same up on the hillside?

All the Hillside 1Bd are the same. I cannot speak to the kitchen set-up for the 1Bd, but the 2Bd TH villas have an oven, stovetop, and microwave.

Not sure what you mean by getting a specific 1Bd villa - these villa are fixed week/fixed unit - and are not floating.

Carolyn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
WJL St Lucia
St James Club Antigua
Charter Club Marco
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The hillside 1 BR townhome (premium) villas also have an oven, stovetop, and microwave.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I meant asking for a particular villa number, but I guess that is not possible. Given that they are not floating, I was probably assigned a specific unit already.

The confirmation from Starwood says "Floaitng - assigned at Check-in" so I was considering putting in a request for a particular building, if it would make a difference.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I meant asking for a particular villa number, but I guess that is not possible. Given that they are not floating, I was probably assigned a specific unit already.

The confirmation from Starwood says "Floaitng - assigned at Check-in" so I was considering putting in a request for a particular building, if it would make a difference.

A building request may be more flexible - for the 1Bd it really comes down to either being in B31/32 or B32/34. Look at resort map. B31/32 is slightly closer to the resort (therefore shorter walk) if that is what appeals to you. We are in B34 - I have posted views from our villa and B33/34 pool area. I have never seen the view from B31/B32 (e.g. pool area), but I am sure it has a fantastic view as well since all buildings sit up on hill (therefore Hillside...).

You can see them on Google Earth

I have a distant photo of the Hillside Buildings (taken from Jacobs Ladder) to give perspective that map does not.
Taken in 2006 before new roofs and siding. The 1Bd are at the top of buidings in the center - you can see the balconies (the 2Bd are on the outside)

ry400_zpscab8bd43.jpg

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, David.

I looked at the map in Owner Resources and at Google Earth. It doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of difference in what building I end up in. One less thing to worry about! ;)

I went into Google Earth on my iPad. I typed Westin St. John in the search box and it actually pointed out two locations. The second one was at the resort we all know, but the first one was one bay to the east, labeled Chocolate Hole. I don't know how old the data is, but it shows a relatively large construction area at that bay on Pond Bay Road. The top of that area is where the first WSJ marker is. The area looks to be almost the same size as the current WSJ area. Is the construction there related to WSJ? If not, is it some other resort?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I went into Google Earth on my iPad. I typed Westin St. John in the search box and it actually pointed out two locations. The second one was at the resort we all know, but the first one was one bay to the east, labeled Chocolate Hole. I don't know how old the data is, but it shows a relatively large construction area at that bay on Pond Bay Road. The top of that area is where the first WSJ marker is. The area looks to be almost the same size as the current WSJ area. Is the construction there related to WSJ? If not, is it some other resort?

It is/was development at Pond Bay...
http://stjohnsource.com/content/news/local-news/2012/04/02/pond-bay-club-auction-block

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I tried to find more information about Pond Bay Club, but the latest post I found was on Trip Advisor, mentioning mid last May that the May 2 auction was withdrawn a couple of days before it was scheduled.

I'll see if I can find out more about the area when I am there in April. The area is pretty much adjacent to WSJ.

Crasherino

Reaction score
Looking to buy WSJ Timeshare

Hey all -

Long time visitor of STJ, first time poster here. Apologies in advance for the long post.

Was hoping to get some feedback after wading through this thread (over the last several months).

My family and I (kids are almost 6 and 3) love St. John and endeavor to go every year. Going forward, we would likely be limited to going over Christmas Week and/or Presidents Week on account of school holidays.

We have stayed at various different Westin Villas over the years (2bdrm Hillside, studio hillside, 3 bdrm BV, etc.) both with other families as well as by ourselves, in addition to stays at villa rentals on the Cruz Bay side (still haven't stayed at Co. We've sat through two different Time Share presentations (one on our Honeymoon, one this past year) first for the freebies but also for the lay of the land. We are now considering taking the plunge.

I have a number of questions that I thought I could throw out to the masses and get some thoughts/feedback...so here we go:

1. Is Starwood currently subsidizing the maintenance at the Bay Vista Villas? If so, will they willingly admit that and give any info as to how long they intend to do so?

2. Is there any way to see the finances prior to purchasing?

3. Our goal is to spend the overwhelming majority of time in STJ so I am not especially concerned with the ability to transfer to a different resort (although I suppose its possible we may consider that occasionally). So, having the SO is not on the top of my priorities. That being said, the incentives offered by SVN are fairly attractive (250K SPs). Is there a reason I should be going re-sale beyond price? Having looked around a bit, I haven't seen many platinum plus weeks at competitive rates (although I might not be looking in the right places).

4. Being able to secure the week of my choice is probably my biggest concern. We are most interested in the 2 bdrm loft. However, I believe there are only 8 of those units. How many of those units does the Westin make available to Timeshare owners at any given week and will I be constantly shut out of them when I try to book during these two highest volume weeks? Is there some type of formula that governs the availability of these units? Obviously the resort would like to retain XMas/Prez Week to sell retail.

5. How does the Platinum Plus period work? Is Xmas week 2013 the same year as Pres Week 2014 or is everything strictly calendar year? In other words, if I am trying to plan my vacation for next year's school year, the Xmas week is a different year than the Prez Week, for reservation purposes, right?

6. Is the price from Starwood at all negotiable? They quoted us a range from approx $53K for a 2brm to $63K for a 3 bdrm with a 2 bdrm loft falling somewhere close to the 3 bdrm price. They made it a point of saying that they have "price integrity" - meaning they don't negotiate (Love euphemisms.).

I'm sure there are other things I am missing. If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions that we need to consider I would love to hear them. If we do take the plunge directly from Starwood, we would wait until we are there again to take advantage of the incentives. So, we have a little time.

TIA.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The biggest reason to purchase resale is that the original owner took the beating for buying from Starwood. Redweek.com is currently listing asking prices for a 2BR/2BA unit for $18,500 (both WSJ-Bay Vista). Don't know what season. There's a week 11 listed for $10,000. A 3BR/3BA floating unit is listed for $22,000.

On the other hand, you might not find exactly what you want in the reslae market unless you are willing to wait for a while until the right unit comes along.

250K Starpoints would be worth about $5,000 to me. Even with that off the price from Starwood, it doesn't make up for the savings if you buy resale. You lose the most buying a non-mandatory resort, like the BV section of WSJ.

I bought from the developer in Maui. I didn't know about the resale market, and when I found out about it, the units there were perhaps 75% of the retail price from Starwood. They've come down a lot since then. At the time I figured I'd take a severe beating if I ever tried to sell, but had no intention of doing that. I still don't.

What I didn't count on was how fast the maintenance fees went up. They seem to be more stable now, but still go up a couple of percent a year.

In spite of all this, I am still glad I have my units, and have memories of Maui and other resorts that are priceless. I'll be going to WSJ for the first time in April. I hope I don't get bit by the bug there too! In my next life, I'll probably buy resale and retro the weeks back into the SW system - my SPG Platinum benefits have made my international travel much nicer. I would also still buy where I want to go, since I don't like to gamble on the availability of weeks in high season. Though my children are grown now, I still want to get away from the Texas heat in July or August.

I bought because of the ability to trade for hotel rooms in locations where there are no resorts. However, I rarely do that, and keep going back to Maui every year. I use the lock off feature to trade to other regions, but my home resort is now my second home, without most of the hassles of vacation home ownership. The maintenance fees are probably not that much more than what I would pay with full ownership of a house, and I own just about all the time I can spend away, so I couldn't use a house much more.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
The 1Bd are at the top of buidings in the center - you can see the balconies (the 2Bd are on the outside)

ry400_zpscab8bd43.jpg

David,

I'm sorry, can you help me visualize where the 1BRs are? "At the top of buildings in the center" -- does that mean top floor, center of the building?

Sorry if I'm not very visual/spatial....:eek:

Thanks!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
There are essentially 2 levels (entrances) for each building that has 3 stories (at least for B33, B34). On each end of the building for both levels are the 2Bd Townhouses - between these 2Bd THs on the bottom level are the studios (single floor), and on the upper level between the 2Bd THs (on the ends) are the 1Bd villas which each have a lower and upper floor.

Here is a drawing that may help - a front-view of a Hillside Building
IMG_0690_zps0446c27d.jpg

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
There are essentially 2 levels (entrances) for each building that has 3 stories (at least for B33, B34). On each end of the building for both levels are the 2Bd Townhouses - between these 2Bd THs on the bottom level are the studios (single floor), and on the upper level between the 2Bd THs (on the ends) are the 1Bd villas which each have a lower and upper floor.

Thank you -- that is helpful.

So does that mean that there are four 2BR's in each building (2 on each end -- kind of "nested") and therefore in between are four Studios (first floor) and four 1BR's (second and third floors)?

I didn't realize that's how they lay out -- thanks again!

Greg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
See photo - there are more than 4 villas in-between the 2Bds - more like 8 on bottom (studios) and 6 on top (1Bd)
Those cresent windows on sides (2 on each side) are the 2Bd THs

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.