• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The size of the vehicle is actually one of our main concerns. We are traveling with our 2 boys (age 6 and 10), so 4 of us. With our luggage and checked cooler bags, we are needing a mid size SUV at least. Slightly concerned about driving it over on STJ. I've been reading reports of getting side swiped a bit.

We do have a spreadsheet going comparing the costs of renting the car in STT vs cabrides/ferry/5 day car rental (possibly from Conrad Sutton), vs Westin ferry/ shorter car rental....It's all expensive no matter which way you choose. We do want to ferry back over to STT one day to shop and take the kids to Paradise Point.

We will be there July 25-Aug 2, 8 nights--Thursday-Friday. So excited. So many options though as far as transportation goes. The transportation is the huge expense of course for this trip.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and advice!! So helpful for a newbie to STJ!

-polly

We have 4 adults (3 large) with 4 pieces of checkin luggage, and carryon. the 4Dr Wrangler XL is plenty big enough.

Be careful with size - the vehicles tend to run small. Our first year (rented from Conrad Sutton in Cruz Bay) and we couldn't fit in the car with our luggage and 2 people had to take taxi to WSJ. btw - I would not rent from Conrad-Sutton (IMO). Only upside is parking in Cruz Bay, but others offer that as well (rarely an issue for us)

As to worry about getting hit - plenty (PLENTY) of people rent on StT and use the car barge - like bad hotel stays - mainly people with bad experiences post. This is just crazy talk - seriously, it ain't that hard - just be careful - as you should on StJ as well (and carry insurance...)

As to your issue of spending a day on StT - you can buy a shopping pass for WSJ ferry, use the public ferry, take the car barge... or just use the WSJ ferry and rent on StJ. Personally, we have ZERO desire to be on StT (you may see why when you are there...). All we want to do on StT is to get off of StT ASAP.

yes - it is expensive - no matter what you do.

like TSing - each family has individual needs (and ours are not necessarily the same as yours). Renting from Amalie is what we do after 6 years of going the other routes (lesson learned) - and will do in our future trips.

Here is a photo of our vehicle on car barge (red one) - best of luck whatever you decide

IMG_1048.jpg

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
The size of the vehicle is actually one of our main concerns. We are traveling with our 2 boys (age 6 and 10), so 4 of us. With our luggage and checked cooler bags, we are needing a mid size SUV at least. Slightly concerned about driving it over on STJ. I've been reading reports of getting side swiped a bit.
-polly
If that is really a problem then you could potentially divide and conquer. One of you could take the Westin ferry and some luggage and run an advance party to checkin. The other and the boys (and an extra car seat for luggage) could ride the ferry with a car.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If that is really a problem then you could potentially divide and conquer. One of you could take the Westin ferry and some luggage and run an advance party to checkin. The other and the boys (and an extra car seat for luggage) could ride the ferry with a car.

Funny you mention this - one year we had to wait about 2 hours for the next WSJ ferry (another potential downside) - so I jumped in a taxi to the passenger ferry in RedHook to get over to StJ in time to pick-up the rental car at O'Connor by 5pm while others waited for ferry (we only were there for 1 week back then, and saving time was important). Having a car the 1st night (pick-up supplies) and last night (to go out to dinner) is nice. It cost $20 for 4 people to take a taxi 1-way from WSJ to CruzBay at night (talk about expensive... it is like 7 mins away by car).

btw - the taxis and public ferry charge per bag.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Got this from Lynn Giovanna on St. John. She is a realtor, but I have no assoication with her except that I am on her email blast list.

Many units, varying prices. Good info if you're buying or selling (or both):

http://www.islandiarealestate.com/condo.cfm?Attributes.Type=Timeshare

Thanks - certainly a lot of listings (I didn't know there was a 4Bd - :D). I know a Tugger that just purchased one on the list (offered 40% less). I haven't been to Islandia site for a while, but quite informative. Majority of these are way over-priced compared to the resales that I am aware of.

Hey Jody - there is a week 24 3Bd for a reasonable price - we can share a boat charter and snorkel/party! ;)

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would love to buy week 24 but the kids Junior Olympic qualifiers in swimming is always around that week. Hopefully we can at least rent one week around that time so we can do the boat charter. We would have a blast!

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
To DavidnRobin, re Math:
(a) We were on St J for more that a week, so we got the discounted weekly rental rate for our vehicle;
(b) We received a 10% discount for paying in cash (Is this available on St T?).
This all helped make the 'math' work for us.
--bp

polly0014

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi David,

Just wanted to thank you so much for your thoughts on car rentals. I emailed Amalie and they quoted us 8 days plus confirmed the complimentary pick up/drop off since you referred us!!

"2013 Jeep Wrangler unlimited, 4-door, 5-pass +large luggage space is $671/8 days+$3.75/day gov tax.
As referred by David you will get the compl. pick up/drop off at the airport."

Thank you so much! I think we're leaning this way to go ahead and pick it up in STT, car barge, have the car all 8 days.

I really appreciate your advice!

-polly

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Heads-up...

The 2011 Property Tax bills are going to be sent soon. iirc, property taxes are still at the 1999 rate. {for reference - we pay about $133 for each of our 2Bd TH weeks in June}
Property taxes up to 2010 should already be paid. With 2011 paid, that will just leave 2012 left to catch-up on back taxes.

The big talk at the owners' Monday night cocktail party here was that WSJ management gets all the bills mailed to them, overriding the address on the ownership, and holds them a while (reason unknown), making it hard or impossible to get the 5% prepay discount by paying early. A number of multiweek owners were upset that WSJ does this. (I think they were big renters, but that doesn't really matter.)

Solar panels are now on the roofs of 41, 43, and 44 (out of sight from the ground).

clsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pricing snippet

3BR Bay Vista, Plat + Season, owner pricing, about $62K. (Are taking some trade-in units (WMH, WKV) as they do at other sites to offset pricing.)

Owners update incentive $125 in "Dollars" which we used at the Starfish market.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The big talk at the owners' Monday night cocktail party here was that WSJ management gets all the bills mailed to them, overriding the address on the ownership, and holds them a while (reason unknown), making it hard or impossible to get the 5% prepay discount by paying early. A number of multiweek owners were upset that WSJ does this. (I think they were big renters, but that doesn't really matter.)

I used to get both bills (from USVI and WSJ) - but neither so far.

It is possible to pay the Tax bill directly to the USVI (if they are so concerned), and bypass WSJ being the middle-man.

I think WSJ acts as the middle-man because (iirc) when I saw the addresses for WSJ Owners at the USVI website (back when it was free) - the addresses were all over the place (deed addresses did not match Prop Tax addresses - mine had this problem) . I think WSJ wants to make sure that the Owners get their tax bills so they can be paid, and there is nothing neferious going on.

I hope your vacation is going well - and all is good at WSJ.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Update from WSJ-VG HOA BOD

March 29, 2013

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:
We recently returned from the March 2013 Annual Association Meeting and Board Meeting of our timeshare condominium owners association (which lasted for six hours in the usual windowless conference room), and we are writing to report to you on developments relating to our property.

Resort kudos
One piece of excellent news is that The Westin St. John’s rating on tripadvisor.com has gone up from 3.5 stars to 4 stars, likely reflecting the many improvements in the resort. Also, Starwood Preferred Guest (SPG) members voted our resort the best beach resort in the system. In addition, SPG periodically sends its Gold and Platinum members a “thank you” card that they can hand out to employees who are doing a particularly good job; these cards are worth 500 StarPoints to any owner who submits one. We gave out more of these cards than owners at any of the other resorts, and more individual staff members received them than at any of the other resorts – a reflection of the excellent service we have been receiving.

Recent improvements
These are among the recent improvements to our property that were reported at the meeting:
- Much improved internet bandwidth, from 1.5 to 30 megabits per second
- Improved television signal quality
- 70 new beach chairs, 26 new beach umbrellas, and replacements for all of the pool and beach floats
- Trees are about to be trimmed to improve views from the hillside villas
- Continued installation of photo-voltaic cells to keep our electricity bill down

Keeping energy costs down:
Let us focus for a moment on the cost of electricity, as this is the most troublesome, though in some ways the most controllable, of our operating costs. The cost is a combination of two factors: how much electricity we consume, and what we pay per kilowatt hour. Consumption has declined substantially in recent years, from an average of 93 kWh per occupied room in the years before the recent refurbishment of the resort to a forecasted 65 kWh per occupied room this year. This has been made possible through changes in our air conditioning, hot water, and lighting systems, and as a result of better insulated doors and windows.

The next step in reducing consumption is up to us owners. We can significantly reduce costs, and therefore avoid higher than necessary maintenance fee increases, by turning off lights and televisions, and turning up the thermostat to reduce the air conditioning, whenever we leave the unit to go to the beach or pool. In addition, during months when the night temperature is not very high, it is possible to sleep with the patio door screened rather than closed and the fan operating.

Although consumption has decreased substantially, the cost per kWh purchased from the electric company is constantly increasing, from 31 cents per kWh in 2010 to about 50 cents now, and it is likely to go higher. Therefore, as you know, we have been installing photo-voltaic cells where possible, which pay for themselves in 7 to 8 years at present electric rates, and in shorter periods of time as cell prices continue to fall and electric rates continue to rise. There are photo-voltaic arrays on the flat portions of the roofs of buildings 41, 43, and 44, and building 42 will get them within the coming months. In the next phase, we will install an array of photo-voltaic cells behind building 32; these will have motors to keep them pointing toward the sun as the earth rotates. We are also exploring other alternative energy sources, as we do not have room for enough photo-voltaic cells to meet all of the needs of Virgin Grand.

Delinquencies
Collection of maintenance fees is running at about the same rate as in recent years, and we continue to have to make up shortfalls for approximately 5% of owners who do not pay their maintenance fees and are consequently barred from using their units. We also are moving as quickly as is legally possible to foreclose on the units of seriously delinquent owners so that their units can be re-sold and produce revenue for the association.

Bargain sale of association-owned units coming soon!
Some owners who were delinquent have turned their deeds over to the association to avoid a foreclosure lawsuit. As a result, the association currently owns 54 unit weeks. You may recall that we conducted a bargain sale to existing owners of association-owned weeks. We are going to do it again.

Watch your incoming email for a notice in May or June; we will be selling some weeks for as low as $500 (for a studio) to $7000 (for a pool villa) in low season, or somewhat more in high season (and the association will pay any real estate taxes that were billed before the closing date which remain unpaid). Particularly, if you already own a week adjacent to one that is placed for sale, you may be able to benefit from this sale and have a longer stay in St. John each year without spending more for air fare. This is a win-win opportunity: Virgin Grand owners will be able to buy additional weeks at very deep discounts, and the association will receive annual maintenance fees from the buyers of units that at present do not produce revenue, which causes existing owners to have to pay more toward the association’s fixed expenses.

Real estate taxes
Tax bills for 2011 will be going out very soon, if they haven’t been sent already. Tax bills for 2012 are expected this summer. We understand that the assessments for 2012 will be based on full value rather than 60% of value, so expect a substantial tax increase. There is nothing we can do about this, we are sorry to say.

Owner exchange, rental and sale bulletin board
As you know, we have been working with a website development company to develop an online bulletin board through which owners could offer their units for sale, rent, or exchange to other Virgin Grand owners, list weeks that they want to rent or buy, and list their contact information in a constantly updated owner directory. This project has been progressing at a much slower pace than we expected, but the site is almost ready for beta testing (the two of us will be among the testers), and after testing it will be ready for use. It is frustrating that this has taken so long, but we hope to have it “live” within a few more months.

Special rental offer
As we mentioned in a previous report, Virgin Grand Owners can rent villas by the day, at a substantially discounted rate, at westinresortstjohn.com/vg-owners. This presents an opportunity to extend your stay at the resort by a few days, if a unit (such as a unit that is developer-owned, or one for which use had been denied to a delinquent owner) is available. Since air fares are usually lower on Tuesdays (particularly) and other weekdays, compared to weekends, you may be able to get a few extra days in St. John without paying much more, by renting through this offer and flying on a day with less air traffic.

Upstairs in buildings 41 and 42
Some owners in buildings 41 and 42 have asked that a wall be installed to turn the large room upstairs, which currently can be divided by sliding partition boards, into two rooms, each of which would offer privacy. According to the legal advice we have received, the association’s governing documents prohibit this unless all of the owners of the 52 weeks in a particular unit (such as 4210) agree. The Board requested Management to try to poll the owners of those weeks to determine whether, for any such unit, all the owners agree. If they do, a permanent wall will be installed; the cost to the association is minimal, and such a wall is already provided for in the reserve budget in the event that the pertinent owners ever agree to this change.

Term limits for owner-elected directors
An owner suggested that the By-laws be amended to impose term limits on owner-elected directors (except directors elected before such amendment). The Board will consider this suggestion in the near future.

Election of board member
The three-year term of one of us (Philip Schrag) expired at this meeting, but was extended through re-election by the non-developer membership to another three-year term.

Sincerely,
Your owner-elected directors,
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com
Bob Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
WSJ board seems very active. They seem to really care and continually make positive improvements. I don't own there yet, but I offer my congratulations and thanks to them anyway!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I whole-heartedly agree with having Phil and Bob on the WSJ-VG HOA BOD - things have vastly improved over the last couple of years since they were voted in by non-developer votes. Great to see that Phil was re-elected again by non-developer votes, and that SVO again allowed this (because they are not required to do so). It would be great if other SVO resorts could learn a lesson from this.

It appears that WSJ may have better internet bandwidth than WKORV/N - which is just sad for WKORV/N (and no Hooters close by :D). This doesn't really impact me, but our travel buddy will like this as he is a Gamer-geek. Robin may have to work remotely while we are there in June - so this may be useful.

I am glad to see the other recent improvements (except we do not watch TV while on StJ), and that they have gotten in front of the energy issues. The WAPA (USVI energy provider) costs have gotten out of hand.

Last time they offered bargain deals to WSJ Owners of deliquent VOIs - I put is for a week adjacent to ours, but it was not accepted. Glad to hear that this will be a factor considered.

Last edited:

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
March 29, 2013

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:
We recently returned from the March 2013 Annual Association Meeting and Board Meeting of our timeshare condominium owners association (which lasted for six hours in the usual windowless conference room), and we are writing to report to you on developments relating to our property.

Keeping energy costs down:
Let us focus for a moment on the cost of electricity, as this is the most troublesome, though in some ways the most controllable, of our operating costs. The cost is a combination of two factors: how much electricity we consume, and what we pay per kilowatt hour. Consumption has declined substantially in recent years, from an average of 93 kWh per occupied room in the years before the recent refurbishment of the resort to a forecasted 65 kWh per occupied room this year. This has been made possible through changes in our air conditioning, hot water, and lighting systems, and as a result of better insulated doors and windows.

The next step in reducing consumption is up to us owners. We can significantly reduce costs, and therefore avoid higher than necessary maintenance fee increases, by turning off lights and televisions, and turning up the thermostat to reduce the air conditioning, whenever we leave the unit to go to the beach or pool. In addition, during months when the night temperature is not very high, it is possible to sleep with the patio door screened rather than closed and the fan operating.

Although consumption has decreased substantially, the cost per kWh purchased from the electric company is constantly increasing, from 31 cents per kWh in 2010 to about 50 cents now, and it is likely to go higher. Therefore, as you know, we have been installing photo-voltaic cells where possible, which pay for themselves in 7 to 8 years at present electric rates, and in shorter periods of time as cell prices continue to fall and electric rates continue to rise. There are photo-voltaic arrays on the flat portions of the roofs of buildings 41, 43, and 44, and building 42 will get them within the coming months. In the next phase, we will install an array of photo-voltaic cells behind building 32; these will have motors to keep them pointing toward the sun as the earth rotates. We are also exploring other alternative energy sources, as we do not have room for enough photo-voltaic cells to meet all of the needs of Virgin Grand.

Sincerely,
Your owner-elected directors,
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com
Bob Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com
Have they considered enhancements to thermostats and the like in each unit. The expensive nest looks cheap if its motion it will shut down those air conditioners when people are not in their rooms.
In other high energy places I have seen a system where you have to put a keycard in a slot on the wall inside the front door for much of the electrical appliances in the room to work. I imagine the cost of retrofitting that might be a problem but they would seem to be great ways of cutting energy usage.

clsmit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Power Use at WSJ

At the owners' cocktail party the staff seemed interested in more ideas to cut down on power use. One suggestion was to put a small sign by the doors to remind people to turn off lights. Also the default A/C temp seems to be 69, which they will look into.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Have they considered enhancements to thermostats and the like in each unit. The expensive nest looks cheap if its motion it will shut down those air conditioners when people are not in their rooms.
In other high energy places I have seen a system where you have to put a keycard in a slot on the wall inside the front door for much of the electrical appliances in the room to work. I imagine the cost of retrofitting that might be a problem but they would seem to be great ways of cutting energy usage.

Sounds like a good idea - I have seen these used in the EU extensively. I am not sure if they have looked into these because I am not privy to their investigations. One issue I could foresee with such a device is that it could (would) get overly hot in the villa when not occupied and take a while to cool down (creating a lot of energy usage on its own - it gets very hot while we are there in June). We keep the thermostat pretty high (80F) once we have acclimated and use the fans extensively - beside I do not like to go from extremes from going inside (AC)/outside (hot) as it tends to set off a head-cold.

Our villa has 3 AC controllers (iirc) - one for each Bedroom (upstairs) and one for downstairs - plus has a fan in each bedroom, and a fan downstairs.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

I've got a Nest, and think it's great, but I'm not sure it's the best solution for a rental property.

I think these should be mandatory for all new rental properties...everywhere. Like David, I've seen these throughout Europe (including many Starwood properties) and they work well. Of course, I learned a trick from the staff a few months ago when there, to simply put the do not disturb card in the slot instead of the room key...which defeats the purpose if you're not present. Keep in mind that in Europe this is used as a master power for the room, not just for a/c, as all lights and power are disabled if the key isn't inserted.

I know several (all?) of the Starwood timeshare properties automatically turn off a/c if the door is open (particularly the door to the patio).

I think it's great they're exploring other avenues to save electricity.

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can program it to stop the place going above a certain temp when you are away, just like it has a frost setting which will stop a space going below 10c if you are away (more useful in the NE than in St John)

Cornhusker

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think these should be mandatory for all new rental properties...everywhere. Like David, I've seen these throughout Europe (including many Starwood properties) and they work well. Of course, I learned a trick from the staff a few months ago when there, to simply put the do not disturb card in the slot instead of the room key...which defeats the purpose if you're not present. Keep in mind that in Europe this is used as a master power for the room, not just for a/c, as all lights and power are disabled if the key isn't inserted.

I recently stayed at a Westin Element brand that had this system. I believe all the Element hotels are supposed to be LEED certified. Very few of the interior lights or appliances worked unless you inserted the key card. No way to cheat and use the DND card either as the DND sign was a magnet you stuck on a metal strip affixed to the outside of the room door. I just wish they had clued me in at the front desk during check-in. I looked pretty stupid trying to get the lights turned on in the room until I figured it out....and I am an engineer. :doh:

I know everyone is different but a lot of hotels have the a/c set way to low for me and my wife. I can't count the number of Starwood rooms I have been in that I could not get the room to warm up at all by increasing the temp on the thermostat. When I am travelling (especially south) I like the room temp set higher to acclimate to the outdoors. At our recent stay at WLR (as with most villa properties I have visited) I was pleased to find the room hvac quite responsive to the thermostat setting. I wish more hotel rooms were this way. I just got back from Houston and had to actually turn the in-room unit off to get it to warm up, as I have in many locations.

I am not real anal about all the green movement from an environmental standpoint, but much of it makes real (common) sense from a practical standpoint. It is good that WSJ is looking hard at ways to conserve. Also good to see the wifi upgrade. Really looking forward to our first visit there later this year!!!!!!

SMHarman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently stayed at a Westin Element brand that had this system. I believe all the Element hotels are supposed to be LEED certified. Very few of the interior lights or appliances worked unless you inserted the key card. No way to cheat and use the DND card either as the DND sign
But any other spare plastic credit card sized thing will do, such as your Starwood Preferred Guest Platinum Card :) . Not that I am advocating cheating here.

I've got a Nest, and think it's great, but I'm not sure it's the best solution for a rental property.

I think it's great they're exploring other avenues to save electricity.
I was thinking that it is more intuitive to use than most programmable thermostats etc.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
This is a WSJ thread - perhaps discussions about energy use at other Starwood TSs and apparently hotels should have their own thread...?

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea - I have seen these used in the EU extensively. I am not sure if they have looked into these because I am not privy to their investigations. One issue I could foresee with such a device is that it could (would) get overly hot in the villa when not occupied and take a while to cool down (creating a lot of energy usage on its own - it gets very hot while we are there in June). We keep the thermostat pretty high (80F) once we have acclimated and use the fans extensively - beside I do not like to go from extremes from going inside (AC)/outside (hot) as it tends to set off a head-cold.

Our villa has 3 AC controllers (iirc) - one for each Bedroom (upstairs) and one for downstairs - plus has a fan in each bedroom, and a fan downstairs.

I think you contributed to the "OT" discussion. When my wife and I were at the Sheraton Iguassu Falls last month, we ran into the same pretty nifty little way of conserving energy.

I had trouble making the lights, electrical outlets (for charging our laptop, iPad and camera) and air conditioning work until I called and was told to slide my room key card into a slot on a little device on the wall (similar to a slot to open a hotel room door). When I did, suddenly every electrical connection went on. When I took the key card out when I left the room, everything shut off again. Salty

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.