• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The price we all pay for paradise....arg!

Yep - but at least we will be in paradise in just 7 weeks for 14 days. Prepared to get sun/heat shocked...

Mask/Snorkle/Flippers - check
Sunscreen - check
Bug Spray - check
Flip-Flops - check
Sun Shirt - check
Neat Sheet - check
Soft-side cooler - check
Peets Coffee - check
Brita Water Filter - check
New Bikinis for Robin - check ;)

ready to go...

Hope my posts help.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent!!

We traded our St John week and rented our HRA weeks for this year. We are heading to Italy and Greece, leaving next month. Next year, we'll be back to WSJ and HRA.

Aren't you leaving early this year?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sounds like fun - good for you.

Our weeks (23-24 - Fri-Fri) are late this year - iirc this is late as it will ever get.

My only worry is that the USVI has only 10% of normal rain so far this year - and the islands are brown - water is getting delivered by trucks. I hope it rains soon - or waits until we leave (like last year). We have been so lucky weather-wise with all of our vacations - I have an odd feeling about this one.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Proxies for 2011 WSJ-VG Association meeting

To all WSJ-VG Owners -

Please be aware that the proxy notices have been sent out for the 2011 WSJ-VG Association's Annual meeting slated for Tuesday, May 24 (9am EST, Walt Disney World Dolphin, Lake Buena Vista, FLA)

The proxies are electronic and the mailer could easily be misidentified as junk mail - so keep an eye out for it. It is important that you fill out the proxy as it is required to have a quorum (regardless of how you feel about the HOA or other issues) as it is necessary to conduct official business.

if you want a paper copy of the proxy material - call 1-877-640-5142
(in case you do not have a computer... then again if you didn't you would not see this post ;) )

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that I've finally won an auction (!), I though other WSJ owners/visitors might be interested in these Cruz Bay Watersports certificates available on skyauction:

http://www.skyauction.com/action/offer/1932591

There are better ways to tour the islands, snorkel, etc (shout out to Stu!) ... but, I thought it was worth it to buy $400 of certificates for ~$200. The convenience factor is great -- they're located on property -- and we've taken their tours before and enjoyed them. They rent boats also -- but, they made me take a test ... I didn't pass. Who knew the emergency signal on the radio wasn't 911? :hysterical:

For the last week or two, as soon as one auction ends, another one pops up ... so don't give up on the first try. It took me several tries but I finally won one. I tried to be civil and showed my bid early, to no avail. Finally set my cell phone to go off 5 minutes before the auction ended and beat the snipers.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the reminder about Stu - and I forgot about radio operation (was thinking of renting from WaterSports) - I can pull off motoring the boat, easy navigation and immigration/custom check in/out (having been back/forth enough...), but radio communication - I will need to refresh (been about 6 years). What else did they test?

I looked at the auction - I guess I need to figure out if worth it. We leave in 6-weeks - coming-up quickly.
Hope all is well. Say 'hey' to Katy and Patrick.

TimW1

Reaction score
To all WSJ-VG Owners -

Please be aware that the proxy notices have been sent out for the 2011 WSJ-VG Association's Annual meeting slated for Tuesday, May 24 (9am EST, Walt Disney World Dolphin, Lake Buena Vista, FLA)

The proxies are electronic and the mailer could easily be misidentified as junk mail - so keep an eye out for it. It is important that you fill out the proxy as it is required to have a quorum (regardless of how you feel about the HOA or other issues) as it is necessary to conduct official business.

if you want a paper copy of the proxy material - call 1-877-640-5142
(in case you do not have a computer... then again if you didn't you would not see this post ;) )

Hi David,

Do you know by chance what the issues are? I have not received my proxy. Has anyone received theirs?

Thanks.

Tim

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I do not know what the issues are - they have an annual meeting... annually. :D

There are people that know better than me how it works - generally to approve the budget. I hear that they are not very eventful - except the one where there were ~30 people running for 2 open spots on the BOD which caused some contention among Owners. IMO - we should stand united (even if we do not agree) as being divided only helps SVO to keep the status quo.

The proxy notification was sent on a card (~5x8) that could be mistaken for junk mail. Proxy voting is done on a web-site (intelliscan) and needs the code on the proxy card. There are 2 choices. #1 is to either allow the Secretary (Paulette) to make you vote or a place to have a proxy holder filled in (your choice of a person that is attending the meeting) to make your vote - if you do not plan to attend. #2 choice is to have your proxy vote count towards a quorum (necessary according to by-laws to have any actions voted upon) - and if I understand correctly if no choice is made in #1, and only #2 - then it goes to the Secretary to vote anyway.

I went to the proxy website and after looking at it - I am thinking of contacting Phil Schrag (Owner BOD member) and asking him to be my proxy vote. This is this approach that I am considering - as I prefer Phil voting for me over the Secretary. Others may have a different view (and their opinion) - so to those who disagree - please do not bash me - as I will respond in kind even if it causes me to be banned here since my intent here is to help and not hinder.

I know Phil from email contacts and talking with him while at WSJ. I trust him to do his best given the system that he and Bob Werbel (other Owner BOD) need to work with within the by-laws.

At this point every WSJ-VG owner should have received their proxies - if not I would contact the number that I supplied above. Remember that the proxies are important to vote upon so the BOD can do their business that they were 'elected' to do (well... at least 2 of them). Remember that SVO controls 3 of the 5 BOD members - not much that can be done about it unless Owners successfully sue to have the by-laws invalidated and changed.
(good luck with that...)

If anyone has opinions here (same or different) - feel free to post - but keep it focused on the issues and things that can be changed (and no bashing...). Even as a majority - SVO still controls the BOD, but at least Phil and Bob have bought better transparency. As fast as I (and others) would like? No, but I understand the challenges and the fine line that Phil and Bob need to walk.

IMO
YMMV
NAE

WildJohn

Reaction score
Regarding Proxy

David,

My name is John and I'm new to Tugs. I think I understand Tim's question. There is a proxy to fill out and then you assign someone who will be present at the meeting to place the votes on your behalf. However, there generally needs to be votes for each owner to be voted upon. Think of it like the Electoral College in the Presidential Election. You place a vote on who you want for President and the Electoral College in your state promises to vote they way you choose. However, there are rare instances where they vote the other way. That's why in this particular situation you want somebody you can trust to use as your proxy. It sounds like Phil Schrag is definitely a good choice. However, what is he voting on? Intelliscan is there to tabulate votes on something. There have to be items for all owners to vote on somewhere. Maybe you can make some inquires and let us know.

John

WildJohn

Reaction score
Additional Information on Proxy

I have since found out from the Phil Schrag and Shawn O'Brien that there are no major items to be voted upon in this election. However, for legal reasons, to make the meeting "official" and "legal" there needs to be a quorum. I think David's suggestion is a good one. Put Phil down as the proxy. That way if some emergency vote comes up, you know that Phil will vote in a way the most benefits the owners at Virgin Grand Villas. What you don't want to do is select Paulette Carter, Secretary of the Board of Directors. She is a Starwood employee on our HOA Board. She'll vote the way her bosses at Starwood tell her to.

Thanks Dave for your good advice.

John

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have since found out from the Phil Schrag and Shawn O'Brien that there are no major items to be voted upon in this election. However, for legal reasons, to make the meeting "official" and "legal" there needs to be a quorum. I think David's suggestion is a good one. Put Phil down as the proxy. That way if some emergency vote comes up, you know that Phil will vote in a way the most benefits the owners at Virgin Grand Villas. What you don't want to do is select Paulette Carter, Secretary of the Board of Directors. She is a Starwood employee on our HOA Board. She'll vote the way her bosses at Starwood tell her to.

Thanks Dave for your good advice.

John

Hi John -

Yes, just a standard proxy vote. I am going to put down Phillip Schrag as my proxy holder (and also as a symbolic gesture). I checked with him and he is fine with it, and said pretty much the same as you (std vote), and it won't matter whether him or Paulette (BOD Secretary) for this meeting have the proxy vote. It sounds as if SVO-WSJ is listening to Bob/Phil (whether one agrees or not) which sounds positive (to me).

More important is to make sure Owners to send in their proxies so the HOA BOD can do their business. ...just saying.

We leave in a few weeks - getting excited...
(but first Sheraton Petaluma, then a Chicago Starwood... busy)

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WSJ Resort Updates

New additions to 'upcoming visit' email that I have never seen before...

Unfortunately, the resort is unable to accept phase requests. Please contact Owner Services to place special requests up to 24 hours in advance of your arrival. The resort will make every effort to fulfill your requests, but requests are subject to availability and therefore not guaranteed. Rollaway beds, cribs and other special request items are limited in supply and are fulfilled on first-come, first-served basis. Charges apply for some special request items. Rollaway beds may be requested for ground floor villas only in the Hillside phase and are not available in the studio premium villa due to space limitations.

Unforeseen events or circumstances beyond our control may result in last-minute changes. As a result, villa assignment or special requests will only be confirmed during the check-in process.

and... great to hear - can't wait to check it out (and donate...)

Guests are welcome to visit the resort's Freecycle Facility. Freecycling is when a person passes along an item, in good working condition, to another person for free. The Freecycle Facility is open 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily and is located just before the roundabout at the entrance to Buildings 41 through 44. Items could include beach chairs, sand toys, snorkel gear, books and extra detergent. You may take freecycle items to your villa for use during your stay. Be sure to return any items to the Freecycle Facility so that other future guests can use them.

Also - information on Hillside renovation activities... seems outdated - but good to hear.

resort advisory- important information that may affect your stay

The Virgin Grand phase will undergo a complete exterior refurbishment to each building during 2011. This project is the final phase of a multi-year refurbishment project, funded by the homeowner's association. Throughout 2011, guests in the Virgin Grand phase may anticipate seeing and hearing construction activity during their stay. Guests may anticipate seeing scaffolding around buildings, large dumpsters for material removal, and heavy equipment. Work will be performed 7-days a week between the hours of 7 a.m. and 7 p.m., with the noise periods contained to 9 a.m. and 6 p.m.

Additionally, the Hillside Pool and Deck areas will be renovated. These tentative dates are as follows:

Hillside pool between buildings 33 and 34 will be out of order from March 7 - March 25.
Hillside pool between buildings 31 and 32 will be out of order from March 28 – April 15.

and link...
http://www.starwoodvacationownershi...Y_WSJ_EMAIL_201103_SVO_ANNOUNCEMENTS_ADVISORY

2011 Westin ferry is $110 (adults) and $90 (youth 4-12) - RT

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The Freecycle Facility is a great idea and IMO should be at all resorts.

I agree whole-heartedly - we have left behind some pretty nice stuff (flippers, chairs, mats, soap...). WSJ has the lay-out to get this done, but would be great if HI resorts could get the same done. Not sure if it was Phil/Bob's idea - or they were just able to implement it - but goes to show that change is possible.

I will get a chance 1st hand to see if it is working in a few weeks - and report back.
(side note - also arranging a water-day with Stu)

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sign-up for WSJ-VG Owners Directory (2011)

also new in my inbox today...

Virgin Grand Villas-Owner Directory Coming Soon-Sign Up Now!

Dear DAVID,

The long-awaited publication of the next Virgin Grand Villas-Voluntary Owner Directory will soon take place. Now is your opportunity to participate in the Directory. Submitting your information is easier than ever. The “click here” link below will take you directly to a website especially developed to collect data for the Directory. Instructions on each page will walk you through the steps necessary for successful enrollment. Please be sure to read and carefully follow all instructions.

IMPORTANT: All Owners must submit their information using the link below in order to be included in the Directory - even if you were already listed in the previous Directory or recently provided your information by some other means. A new submission is required for each publication of the Directory. This helps to ensure that the most accurate and up-to-date information available will be used to prepare the Directory.

Don’t delay! The final date to submit your information is Sunday - June 5, 2011. Participating Owners will receive an email shortly thereafter which provides a link to access the Directory.

Click here to sign up for the Virgin Grand Villas-Voluntary Owner Directory.

Sincerely,
SVO Management, Inc.

link = http://www.zoomerang.com/Survey/WEB22CAGACA345

...in USVI-speak - that should be 'Soon Come' :D

Last edited:

Westin5Star

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree whole-heartedly - we have left behind some pretty nice stuff (flippers, chairs, mats, soap...). WSJ has the lay-out to get this done, but would be great if HI resorts could get the same done. Not sure if it was Phil/Bob's idea - or they were just able to implement it - but goes to show that change is possible.

I will get a chance 1st hand to see if it is working in a few weeks - and report back.
(side note - also arranging a water-day with Stu)

David,

I am going to St. John in November so leave me some nice stuff!!!

I also plan to hook up with Stu for another awesome day while we are there; in fact, I am going to email him now.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Villa Rentals for WSJ-VG Owners (Soon End)

Link to thread about villa rentals of deliquent Owners VOIs for WSJ-VG Owners - for cost of 2011 MFs

Hurry.
Soon End.
{in island speak...}

http://www.tugbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146610

Bubba - I will update about the beach shuttle when we are there next month (soon come).

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Does anyone know how long they will be having the complimentary beach shuttle?

Don't know, but we got the impression that WSJ is finding it so popular and so much of an attraction to guests that they just might keep it!

Robin&Mark

TUG Member
Reaction score
We will be going again this summer and are interested in touring the islands, can anyone tell me who Stu is that is referred to above if he provides this type of service?
Thank you

TimW1

Reaction score
My Family and I just got back.

The renovations are looking very nice. We are in building 32 in a town home style. Things that really stood out were the roof, stucco siding, kitchen, showers in upstairs bathrooms and new sliding glass door on patio. They were all improvements.

I did notice that they are no longer using feather top mattress pads for Westin Heavenly beds in villas, but are still using them in their hotel rooms. I did ask the staff about this and they told me they are discontinuing this in the villas. Why? They did not offer a reason. We do stay at several Westin Hotels through out the year and this is a staple for their Heavenly Beds.

The Freecycle is just starting to get used. I will hold judgement until next year. I did leave a few items behind. Dishwashing and laundry detergent and one beach chair. I will bring the other one next year.

The grounds of the resort looked in tip top shape. They had replanted many new palms and plants all around the resort to replace those that had suffered damage last fall. Snorkels looked in great shape as well as the all the pools.

We did go to the owners update meeting and were shown the 3br pool villa. The sales person opened the door and the villa was flooded, whoops. We still looked around. No updates have been done yet to the pool villas yet or there would have not been the flood issue. We told them we were in no position to purchase anything at this time. They were kind and asked us if we had any concerns about our ownership or our villa. And we voiced them and they had us write them down on a form, which was a first for us. I felt like they listened and hope they will at least address them in a future meeting.

It rained off and on during our stay so the island became quite green during our stay and hopefully will end the long drought that has been going on. We had a great stay. Salt Pond and Hawknest had an abundance of marine life for snorkeling this year. Waterlemon Cay in Leinster Bay did not offer the vibrance of coral color as in years past but still had turtles and sea stars.

I will try to post a trip report soon on the Caribbean forum soon.

I still have the St. John Blues.

klatkiew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Any chance you remember the building and/or unit number of the flooded 3bdrm? Bldg 44 can't seem to catch a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.