• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimW1

Reaction score
Hi Tim -

No, I do not have any information beyond what has been posted and reported (resort is up and running as normal). I did not hear about any specific damage, but I am sure that it must have occurred to some extent as roofing and siding needed to be replaced (as is planned). You will be there before us - we go in June - so hopefully someone will chime in. Someone did go up to B34 (our building) after the last big storm and informed me that visibly nothing appeared out of sorts.

From Bob and Phils's letter - the roof, window, door and siding work will start with B34. I hope that this is completed before our June visit - but it would be great if you (or others) could give updates.

David,

Thank you for the reply. It will be nice to have more energy efficient units. I also read that they were working on the upper hillside units first. I would think they would be finished with your unit by the time you go on vacation. I will try to get some pictures taken and talk to the resort manager, once we settle in.

Last year they were finishing up on our unit with interior remodel and had to be in unit 31. We are hoping to have our unit this year, but if not, no worries.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
David,

Thank you for the reply. It will be nice to have more energy efficient units. I also read that they were working on the upper hillside units first. I would think they would be finished with your unit by the time you go on vacation. I will try to get some pictures taken and talk to the resort manager, once we settle in.

Last year they were finishing up on our unit with interior remodel and had to be in unit 31. We are hoping to have our unit this year, but if not, no worries.

As I wrote in my 2009 trip report - we showed up to find that our villa was "Out of Order" and were moved to the villa on the other end of B34 - they offered us a 2Bd in the BV, but declined as we prefer Hillside mainly due to parking and away from main resort (a plus for us...). I tried to talk our way into a 3Bd pool villa - no such luck. This is the infamous Bee story - as a bee hive had formed inside the wall (they came thru the roof/siding) thereby my opinion about the roof/siding needing repair (as well as many reports of leaks).

I do have videos on YouTube of our villa (and pool area) before and after the remodel - as well as photos on Photobucket.

Also - a few years ago - us and another Owner offered to buy our villa another couch after the refurbish vote failed - it was in such awful condition that it was unusable (we were declined). This is why we were happy for the forced remodel (quorum or not...) - eventhough it cost WAY more than it should have (IMO).

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Identifying STJ Fish

Excellent video imbedded on the "On St John" website by Annie Caswell (Annie's Animals) that identifies STJ fish - very cool and informative
http://www.on-stjohn.com/

TimW1

Reaction score
Building repairs and Renovations update

Good Afternoon,

I sent a letter asking about water damages from the storm last fall to the town house villas and received a response. They addressed the water damages on the villa walls by removal and replacement of dry wall and insulation.

So, the good news is that those villas that were affected should be as good as new per say. And I am extremely happy that they assessed and fixed the issue as quickly as possible.

He also stated the building 34 roof renovations are complete and they are now starting on building 33. But I don't know if they have done the roof renovations on building 31 or 32, but will let you know as soon as I get a response back.

I am looking forward to seeing the improvements!

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
New Owner

I just got the good news that I'm now in SVO's system following our purchase of a BV xmas week resale (took them about 3 weeks after closing). Want to thank everyone who gave advice since we got serious a couple of months ago and say that I hope to be an active participant (and certainly a follower) of this thread!

klatkiew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I sent a letter asking about water damages from the storm last fall to the town house villas and received a response. They addressed the water damages on the villa walls by removal and replacement of dry wall and insulation.

So, the good news is that those villas that were affected should be as good as new per say. And I am extremely happy that they assessed and fixed the issue as quickly as possible.

He also stated the building 34 roof renovations are complete and they are now starting on building 33. But I don't know if they have done the roof renovations on building 31 or 32, but will let you know as soon as I get a response back.

I am looking forward to seeing the improvements!

We were there in early January. Building 44 - the 3 bedroom villas, suffered the greatest damage and you could see the line in the wall 3 1/2 feet high =- where all of the dry wall had been pulled out. Everything on the main level was replaced but the unit looked great! There were still some little issues (phone problems, cable issues) but they were focusing on the physical units before dealing with all of that stuff. I was told that the units up on the hill also had damage but not as bad as these - so if that's the case - your unit probably didn't have to go through what ours did (that's a good thing!).

The roofs on bldgs 33/34 were being worked on and at the time - 31/32 hadn't started yet. Hopefully i don't have these mixed up - 33/34 are at the very top I think. Many of the buildings, hotel included, had roof repairs as a result of the storms - it was pretty easy to see where they had made repairs.

The kids club was all pretty much back to normal but the arcade was empty - i don't know if they are replacing everything or what.

Someone on this thread was also asking about the tennis courts - they were almost completely refinished in early Jan. Only one was still being worked on.

In the owners update i was told that most everything that needed to be replaced was expected to be completed in February/early March.

Given what they went through - i think they did a fantastic job getting the resort up and running again! Can't wait to see all of the changes when we go back.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I just got the good news that I'm now in SVO's system following our purchase of a BV xmas week resale (took them about 3 weeks after closing). Want to thank everyone who gave advice since we got serious a couple of months ago and say that I hope to be an active participant (and certainly a follower) of this thread!

Congrats letsgomets... GIANTS! :p

I think you are the 1st report on TUG of WSJ-BV being purchased on the resale market. I think many would be interested on how much lower you paid resale than SVO price for this villa? Is your Xmas week fixed? Is the villa fixed?
if you don't mind sharing...

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congrats letsgomets... GIANTS! :p

I think you are the 1st report on TUG of WSJ-BV being purchased on the resale market. I think many would be interested on how much lower you paid resale than SVO price for this villa? Is your Xmas week fixed? Is the villa fixed?
if you don't mind sharing...

Thanks. We paid 40K for a fixed week 51 (annual) in a 2BR BV unit. I don't think it was ever listed -- we happened to be chatting with the owner during a taxi ride back from Cruz Bay and he mentioned his interest in selling. SVO wanted more than double that. I think the owner wanted a quick, hassle-free, unconditional sale without a price negotiation (which we were able to do).

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
$402 for a 3Bd pool villa - that seems high. Our 2Bd/3Ba TH villas around $135 each (for 2007) - your assessment must be high - ours is around $18-20K. Not sure if it is worth it to you - but there is a re-asssessment process, but I think you need to be able to go to STT to file an appeal (not sure at all, but generally that is how they are handled - you may want to call the Tax Assessors office and inquire)

I saw on the USVI Tax Assessors website (http://public.usvi.cavucorp.com/logon.htm) that 2007 Tax bills had been sent - supposedly a few weeks ago. We have not received ours yet (been waiting), but glad to see that someone has.

Last edited:

klatkiew

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that may own in building 44.. i received a call this week from John Ireland in response to a letter i sent outlining the issues with our unit. He told me that in the May/June timeframe building 44 will have the roof replaced, the doors replaced and 4413 will have the pool resurfaced and the hot tub fixed (on/off switch vs. 2 hour timer). Everything but the pool is part of the refurb. The pool resurfacing is a result of the floods. All good news!

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Klat-
Did he say the units in bldg 44 will able to be used while work is going on? We got bumped from 4415 last June because of the sprinkler flood, so I'm not thrilled if it's 2 years in a row....I'll email him to get an answer. Thanks for the heads up!

klatkiew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Klat-
Did he say the units in bldg 44 will able to be used while work is going on? We got bumped from 4415 last June because of the sprinkler flood, so I'm not thrilled if it's 2 years in a row....I'll email him to get an answer. Thanks for the heads up!

He made it sound like the entire building would be unavailable. When i spoke to them back in January they said they would take one building at a time 'out' for a month while they did all the work. Hopefully they'll hit our building in May and you'll be fine.

Did you also have an upstairs master bath that only had a bathtub... no shower? Ours finally got replaced with a shower that looks like the ones in the Bay Vista units - very nice.

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Klat- Sorry for the delay. Mr. Ireland gave no info, just told us to contact owner services who, of course, know nothing. They said call the front desk......(circle of life, Starwood style). Yes the 4412 upstairs bath did just have a tub, so hopefully it will get a shower. 4415 had the old setup upstairs as of 2009--one bath, curvey wall....

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Well....Tried to see on the website where to file a complaint....These is going to be a Pain in the Ass.

Hi Tom - File a complaint on WSJ/MSC website, or USVI? This is not WSJ's direct issue (unless you bought form them) as the tax bill comes from the USVI is owed to Tax Assessors office. If I understand correctly from your post - the 1st issue I see is that when the property title/deed was transferred the taxes were not dealt with. This should have been taken care of. For example, when we bought our 2nd week we put in the contract who deals with the taxes (we did, but were compenstaed for them).

Now, if you bought your WSJ VOI from SVO/WSJ, then they are responsible for paying these taxes. If bought resale, and taxes were not dealt with, you have an issue because USVI will want ther tax and they do not care who it comes from, and you (via you holding title) are their only recourse to recover the tax, and will bill you. (there is documentation regarding back taxes paid when purchasing and about the taxes not going beyond 2005+) So if no agreement, then you may be responsible for these taxes when you took over the Title. Perhaps you can try and recover through the seler, but unless they cooperate (because they care about karma) it will likely take you more time/effort/cost to recover from them than the bill itself.

btw - I am not a tax expert (NAE) - just that I had to deal with this in both my purchases, and have talked to the Tax Assessors office a few times - as well as went into the tax roles when they were public and free.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi Tom - File a complaint on WSJ/MSC website, or USVI? This is not WSJ's direct issue (unless you bought form them) as the tax bill comes from the USVI is owed to Tax Assessors office. If I understand correctly from your post - the 1st issue I see is that when the property title/deed was transferred the taxes were not dealt with. This should have been taken care of. For example, when we bought our 2nd week we put in the contract who deals with the taxes (we did, but were compenstaed for them).

Now, if you bought your WSJ VOI from SVO/WSJ, then they are responsible for paying these taxes. If bought resale, and taxes were not dealt with, you have an issue because USVI will want ther tax and they do not care who it comes from, and you (via you holding title) are their only recourse to recover the tax, and will bill you. (there is documentation regarding back taxes paid when purchasing and about the taxes not going beyond 2005+) So if no agreement, then you may be responsible for these taxes when you took over the Title. Perhaps you can try and recover through the seler, but unless they cooperate (because they care about karma) it will likely take you more time/effort/cost to recover from them than the bill itself.

btw - I am not a tax expert (NAE) - just that I had to deal with this in both my purchases, and have talked to the Tax Assessors office a few times - as well as went into the tax roles when they were public and free.

Bought the studios resale...the ebay steal. We bought in March, settled in May (I think) traded back/upgraded in August. So, I actually only owned the two units for 4-5 months.

My resale was finished by John Faeth's wife, about a month after his death. This too could be part of the issue.

On the one hand the tax is $75 per unit....$150 total, so how much time and effort should i really invest. But by paying it, do I open myself to additional responsibility.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was very lucky when it came to the issues that arose with John Faeth's passing by a few days (important lesson learned) in putting Robin's name on our WSJ week 24 title, and buying our 2nd week at WKV.

An issue beyond this was there was no tax bill to pay until recently - so no one to pay to or amount to pay as it was unknown until last year. This is what there is a USVI tax document that states the taxes were clear through 2005, but not beyond 2005 (specifically now 2006 and 2007)

Sorry to mention this - but who paid the 2006 taxes that were due last year? The 2006 tax bill was also outstanding with no way for the previous owner pay. Perhaps the previous owner got the tax bill and paid (if you are lucky)?

My suggestion is to call the USVI tax assessors (being very patient and clear) with the parcel number - and ask if the 2006 taxes were paid, and if they had been then they were paid by the previous owners last year - this could be a good sign and may be wiling to pay 2007 as well. You will need their contact info - you could ask USVI Tax Assessors office - unfortunately many are sent to WSJ (as they have WSJ address on the tax bill) and WSJ then sends them out.

I have yet to get my 2007 tax bill that I found out was sent to WSJ (arg) - but I did get the USVI Tax Assessors office to send them to me. Luckily for me - I still have contact with the previous Owner because they still receive stuff from USVI and WSJ (double arg).

also - with your parcel number - you can get into the USVI property tax database.
http://public.usvi.cavucorp.com/logon.htm

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.