• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tim W -- I may have used your beach chair today at Hawk's Nest -- thank you very much! :) I love the freecycle! My lugguage didn't arrive until today and we've taken great advantage of several items.

The Hillside upper buildings look terrific! Will try to upload a couple of pictures. When we first drove up from the car ferry, we thought something new had been built -- it's that drastic of a difference. If I can get a shot from the top of the hill without getting killed, I'll be sure to post it. If not, I'll at least get one from a closer angle.

Our pool villa not flooded, thank goodness!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi JG - I saw from Katy's FaceBook that you guys were back on STJ - nice. Too bad we missed you by a few week's. I would love to see the photos - although we will 'soon come'. Glad to hear that the free-cycle is working out.

Tim W - At first I was surprised about your mention of the pillow-tops being gone because I thought you were talking about the Heavenly beds, but then realized you just meant the feather comforter. We do use it anyway - so no loss (for us). I would be curious to see if they have replaced the Heavenly mattresses like they have scheduled.

TimW1

Reaction score
It was building 42. It was flooded in the locker area, part of the master bedroom area, and the bathroom area. It had rained quite a bit the night before. It had been a cloudy an rainy stretch for the last 14 days. It should break out of it soon. :whoopie:

TimW1

Reaction score
Jerseygirl-so glad you are using potentially my beach chair. Hope the pics of the hillside villas turn out. My camera broke down on the second day. My brother-in-law took most of the pics until I found a camera towards the end of our vacation.

David- I hope you have a great vacation. I misspoke and meant to say the mattress pad, which I believe is feather top. It goes on top of the westin mattress and then the mattess sheet over that. It make the Westin bed so "Heavenly". lol Anyhow, they aren't using them on the hillside villas anymore. No explanation given, they did not know why.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Virgin Grand Villas - Report from Owner-Elected Representatives - May, 2011

Dear Fellow Virgin Grand Villas Owner:

We have now completed our first year as your elected members of the Board of Directors, and we have just returned from the Annual Meeting of the owners association, which was held together with a regular Board meeting in Orlando, Florida. As in the past, our meeting with the management-appointed directors and with the management company staff was cordial and productive.

What’s happening at the resort
We are happy to report that the refurbishing project is on schedule and essentially within the budget that was proposed. If you have been to St. John recently, you have seen the improvements with your own eyes: the hillside buildings have new roofs, repaired stucco, and new and improved doors and windows. Construction is starting just about now on the pool villa buildings. All of the work is projected to be completed before the Christmas season begins.

The resort as a whole has had a similar upgrade: a small silver lining from last fall’s storm damage is that it facilitated resurfacing of the big pool and of the tennis courts, improvements in the kids club, and many smaller upgrades, much of which were paid for out of insurance claims. We learned that the resort was restored to AAA Four Diamond status, and it was designated the best beach resort in the Virgin Islands by the Virgin Islands Daily News.

Another significant improvement is the installation of a voicemail hotline that you can call from your villa. You can leave compliments, complaints, or requests for attention to an engineering problem, and your voicemail will go directly and promptly to Mike Ryan, the general manager, or another of the senior managers. We understand that owners have used this voicemail and report great satisfaction. (You’ll find the number to dial on a tent card next to the telephone in your villa.)

More good news: the iguana shuttle is again running on a regular schedule, and more than 50 of the older golf carts have been replaced. Also, recycling bins for cans and animal-proof garbage cans dot the property. This fall, new gas lines and gas grills are being added to the pool villas, and buildings 41 and 42 will get new pool decking. The hillside pools and their decks are being resurfaced, and new lighting and fencing is being constructed. The freecyle shed is getting increased use (be sure to leave something useful behind when you visit, to get it up to full capacity). And weekly owners’ receptions are being restored in June.

There is a bit of bad news, too: the premium on our association’s property insurance is being increased by 38% (in dollar terms, about $94,000 per annum, or about $20 per average unit week). The reason is a combination of industry-wide property insurance premium increases (occasioned by the Japanese earthquake and the tornadoes in the U.S.) and the storm problems that the Virgin Islands experienced last year. (We are fortunate to participate in an insurance portfolio comprised of a large number of Starwood properties. If we had our own stand-alone policy, it would likely not have been renewed at all, given the storm damage last year and the insurance industry’s aversion to risk.)

The special offer to owners
As you know, many weeks whose owners were locked out because of non-payment of fees were offered for rental to owners for the cost of the unpaid maintenance fee. Fifteen such units were rented, bringing in $35,000 to the association’s operating account. This was a successful first effort, but we hope that if there are a substantial number of such weeks next year, more will be rented to St. John owners, again for the cost of the unpaid fees. There were a few technical glitches this year which we are working with our management company to improve upon for next year.

The online directory
All owners should by now have received an offer to participate in the online owner directory, which will enable owners to contact each other to swap or buy and sell weeks. As of the meeting, 638 of approximately 3,000 owners have listed themselves. The directory will be more useful if more owners list themselves, so we urge everyone to get on the list. Remember, even if you were listed in last fall’s directory, you need to re-list yourself every time the directory is re-issued. The closing date to be listed is June 5. If you didn’t receive an offer to participate, click here to be directed to the input screen for enrollment. We expect that the directory will be available before the end of June.

The online bulletin board
The management company is actively working on another tool to facilitate swaps and sales among owners: an online bulletin board, with access available through mystarcentral.com, on which owners will be able to post weeks that they want to exchange, rent to others, or sell, and weeks that they seek to exchange into, rent from others, or buy. Design of this new system is taking a little longer than we’d hoped, but getting it right, at the lowest possible cost, is worth a little delay, particularly with the directory available in the meantime.

Reserves for the future
As we previously reported, our maintenance fee is never going to revert to the 2008 level, because the developer subsidy has ended and because we are now planning reserves so that we don’t again have massive, surprising short-term fee increases. However, maintenance fees decreased for 2011 and because the refurbishment project is ending, we expect another decrease for 2012. We don’t yet know exactly how much the decrease will be. We are now beginning to rebuild our reserves to plan for the future replacement, at the end of their useful lives, for items such as roofs, chillers, pavement and pool resurfacing, cabinetry, plumbing fixtures, windows, doors, exterior stucco, interior furnishings, appliances and electronics.

Next year’s budget will also include an average of $75 per unit week for construction payments that we deferred from 2011 to 2012 to keep maintenance fees down in 2011, the increased insurance premium, and expenses that we must incur to comply with requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act, the regulations for which were recently amended to apply to time share developments. As previously reported, we may also suggest to the Board that we begin to build a reserve to cover the huge (more than $1.5 million) deductible on the property insurance policy, to protect us, eventually, from having to have a special assessment if there is a major, devastating hurricane. This reserve will, however, take up to a decade to build up to a level at which it could cover most of the deductible.

Next fall, the Board will also consider having an outside consultant conduct a one-time study of our reserve planning, to assure us that our reserve planning is neither significantly too high nor significantly too low.

The management company has made the governing documents available to owners through mystarcentral.com, and owners may request additional documents (such as a more detailed budget or a list of the projected costs of all replacement items for which we are now budgeting through the reserve). (To request these additional documents through mystarcentral.com, go to the page entitled “Your Owners Association”, select one of your units, and then click on “Request Your Association Documents” on the right side of the page.)

Owner questions
We discussed a couple of items regarding specific questions we received from owners during the board meeting. They had to do with mandatory SVN membership for owners who never exchange, and with storage lockers on site. The Board has asked the management company to look into both of these items and report upon at the next meeting.

Foreclosures, and sales of association-owned units
The foreclosure process has begun for 26 unit weeks whose owners are in arrears, and more foreclosures are likely. We urge all owners to pay their maintenance fees and to continue to enjoy our slice of paradise. But if you fall behind and are unable to keep up with your maintenance fees, and your unit is not mortgaged, you might explore whether the association will allow you to turn over your deed rather than going through a potentially expensive foreclosure process.

Approximately 20 deeds have been turned over to the association so far, and these units will be offered to Virgin Grand owners, at greatly reduced rates, before they are offered on the open market. If you have registered your email address on mystarcentral.com, you will hear more through email about this special offer in the coming months. The proceeds of these sales will go to the owners’ association.

Proxy notices
Some owners told us that they were unhappy that the notices of the annual meeting provide only the name of the Secretary of the Association, an SVO-appointed director, as the person to receive proxies. This is a normal practice for Associations; however, in the future, these notices will list both the Secretary and one of the owner-elected directors as an alternative. However, there is less to this change than meets the eye, for two reasons. First, unless an owner provides specific instructions as to how a proxy is to be cast with respect to an issue on the agenda, any member of the Board receiving a proxy must vote the proxy as the Board directs. Second, there are rarely if ever contested matters to be decided at the annual meeting. The main purpose of soliciting proxies for the annual meeting is only to establish a quorum. The exception is that two directors are elected by the membership every three years (the next election will be in 2013). But in the last election, owners voted directly for candidates, and the Board determined that any undesignated proxies would be cast for the two candidates receiving the highest weighted voting total. Starwood was entitled to cast votes by virtue of its ownership of unit weeks (it still owns about 8% of the unit weeks) and voluntarily agreed to cast its votes in the same manner as the undesignated proxies voted by the Board so as not influence the election. We expect that this procedure will be followed in the future.

Communications from owners
During the last six months, we have received many emails from owners telling us how pleased they are with the tangible and intangible changes at the resort. Thank you for allowing us to serve you during this period in which our property is rapidly improving.

All our best,
Philip G. Schrag
phil.schrag@gmail.com

Bob Werbel
robert.werbel@yahoo.com

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wow, what a detailed letter. Wish the rest of the resorts were this up front about communicating! Sounds like they are making some major improvements to the WSJ properties...

I would love to hear about the special pricing of the foreclosed units. I hope someone posts when you get the news...

Katherine

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
SDKath, ... "Sounds like they are making some major improvements to the WSJ properties..."

Yes, they are shaping things up. But, the financial situation seems "iffy."

1. Insurance premium is going way up, $20 per average week.

2. The deductible has been increased to $1.5M. Apparently, there is no present reserve in that amount and one needs to be created, hopefully before the next big storms.

3. $75 per average week in in 2011 construction costs were "deferred" to 2012 and will be paid for from the 2012 assessment. That tends to make the 2011 assessment look good but will tend to increase the 2012 assessment. And, it raises the question of whether the budget is an "honest" budget if costs can be turned into unpaid bills without disclosing it until after the budget for the year is well under way. Or, does it just mean that there are unanticipated cost overruns?

4. "many weeks ... were offered for rental ... Fifteen such weeks were rented, bringing in $35,000 to the association's operating account." Good news, but why were only 15 rented? Didn't VG owners jump at this opportunity?

I think the overall picture is of a HOA board struggling to keep finances under control and MF as low as it can while doing those many good new improvements and coping with the damage from last Fall's storms.

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I know it is not fashionable to do so - but color me optimistic...

Kath - jerseygirl keeps up on those types of things.

Am I the only one that has made a prediction on 2012 MFs, but looks as it I will need to increase it by $100.

St John - soon come

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.
George Santayana

She's a Black-Magic Woman...
Carlos Santana

Last edited:

bobpark56

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Does the Westin St John hurricane policy apply for owners and exchangers as well as for hotel guests?

Quote: "Hurricane Policy
In the event of a hurricane* on the Virgin Islands, The Westin St. John Resort & Villas will replace a guest's vacation for the entire duration of the reservation. This guarantee applies to room and applicable taxes. This policy is applicable to transient reservations and groups as stipulated in their contracts.

The stipulations that apply are as follows:

Replacement vacation must be taken at The Westin St. John Resort & Villas within one calendar year. Reservations for comparable accommodations will be made on a space available basis. Blackout dates do apply (as determined in our sole discretion).
Any commission owed to travel agents will be paid on the stay interrupted by the hurricane.
Other expenses including, but not limited to, airfares, food and beverage, or chartered services are not included or covered by this guarantee.
The guarantee offered by Starwood Hotels and Resorts is subject to change at the discretion of the operator at any time without notice.
Guests holding confirmed and fully deposited reservations (and are within the non-refundable deposit window) that are unable to travel to the resort due to a hurricane* closing the airport or The Westin St. John Resort & Villas will be given the option of a full refund or a one room category upgrade, based on space availability, on their next visit to The Westin St. John Resort & Villas within one calendar year.
*A hurricane is defined/validated by the National Hurricane Center, typically a tropical cyclone in which the maximum sustained surface wind is 74 mph (64 knots) or greater."

NerdAlert

TUG Member
Reaction score
Pool Villa Renovations (6/14/11 Flag Day)

Building 44 is totally shut down and surrounded by privacy fence. Roof is just about all off. Also, looks like all windows and doors are being replaced. Seems like sliders instead of the french doors going out to the pool. Appears that all the cedar will go (roof and walls), and the walls will be stucco and the soffit will be white aluminum. No roofing on yet, but probably will be silver colored standing seam to match the Hillsides. Also, adding some sort of trench along walkways for drainage. Work progressing very fast--7 days a week, long hours, big crew. Workers are also very courteous. We don't really mind the noise, we see our unit getting improved. (Can't wait 'til next year!)
At the owners meeting, it was said 44 to be done first week of July. Then bldg 43 next, then 41 and 42 (order??) then up to the two pools on the hillside. They said all the Pool Villas are to be done by Thanksgiving. We'll see. Can add pix if anyone wants to see.

klatkiew

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the info. We are in 4413. Can't wait to see the improvements! Would love to see some pics.

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
DnR

I was away when you posted the update for WSJ and just today read the update.

Is the online directory and bulletin board just for VG owners, or are BV owners going to be included? As a BV owner, we didn't receive any kind of letter like the VG owners relieved.

Tom

pharmgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
HOORAY!!!!!!

Just exchanged our Maui week for week of Feb 18 next year. I have never exchanged before and followed advice to call a few minutes before 9 am
Thanks to all
Rep was very helpful and told me I got the last 2 BR, there were 2 available and one went quicker

pharmgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
That's wonderful -- President's Week no less!

:cheer: :cheer:

Hi

I'm Jerseypharmgirl on most sites! Now looking for week before, probably in S time St Thomas - flights to USVI are not bad

We have sailed in BVI many times and looking forward to a week on land and with our 5 yr old grandson

WOO HOO again!!

tomandrobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
HOORAY!!!!!!

Just exchanged our Maui week for week of Feb 18 next year. I have never exchanged before and followed advice to call a few minutes before 9 am
Thanks to all
Rep was very helpful and told me I got the last 2 BR, there were 2 available and one went quicker

That is fantastic!!

Never been to WSJ in the winter, but I can not imagine it being a bad time to visit.....especially coming from NJ.

WildJohn

Reaction score
Going to St. John on President's Week

My suggestion to those planning to go to St. John on President's Week. I've been there that week and the weather was great. This was during a week that we got over a foot of snow in Northern NJ. However, there are no bargains on flights unless you book very early. President's Week is not one of the most heavily travelled periods to the Carribean. It is the most heavily travelled week. Look at your airline options now. Besides Continental, you may want to consider American (either from Newark via Miami or direct from JFK). You may even want to check out US Air which flies direct from Philly. Besides checking individual airline sites, you might want to check Travelocity, Expedia, and other discount sites as well.

Good luck on not paying too much for airfare!!

John

pharmgirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
thanks for the airline suggestion
we will be going the week before and usually use hotel points to stay a day or 2 earlier and after our weeks end. So usually travel not on weekends and that makes flights easier

Yes, St thomas airport is busy, we have most often flown American or Continental to PR, then on to Beef island for the BVIs.

I am a consultant and usually need to use computer or have a telcon a few times. Hope internet is reasonable although not anticipating great access

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a consultant and usually need to use computer or have a telcon a few times. Hope internet is reasonable although not anticipating great access

WSJ does not have consistent wireless service (I can't remember one trip where it wasn't down more often than not). Wired service is better (was stable this year), but inconvenient. I was able to thread the cable through the pass through kitchen window and pull laptop out to patio. Have not tried packing a router -- may try that next year.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Consistent and STJ should not be used in the same sentence - unless 'not' is also used.

Stuart sez Hi to you and Katy... and to W5* as well (and that I need to meet you in person)

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
David -- Tell Stu we said hello. Hope you and Robin are having a great time. Don't the buildings look great? So sorry I never got a picture posted!!

WildJohn

Reaction score
JetBlue to begin service to St Thomas

Hi all,

For those of you who like to fly JetBlue, service to St. Thomas and St. Croix will begin on December 15, 2011. They will have a direct flight from Boston. Anyone on the West Coast can fly there via Boston. I personally like the ability to check one suitcase at no cost and the free live TV with 35 channels at every seat.

BTW, people on the East coast can fly to St Thomas via Boston or San Juan. Some of the flights between St Thomas and San Juan are still with Cape Air. However, several are with JetBlue. For the 15 minute flight, who cares. You can do your complete booking through JetBlue.

John

mpc5473

Reaction score
Westin Timeshare

We are looking to buy a timeshare for the last week of march (week 12 or 13 depending on the arrival day, i think). Any suggestions on how/where to find the best deal?

thanks
mike

Status
Not open for further replies.