• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St. John [Master Thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are looking to buy a timeshare for the last week of march (week 12 or 13 depending on the arrival day, i think). Any suggestions on how/where to find the best deal?

thanks
mike

Redweek, myresortnetwork

Also, this company on the island has a lot of listings:

http://www.stjohnproperties.com/fractional.html

Don't be afraid to offer less than someone is asking. Here's a recent ebay listing that reflects an open market sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/196K-STAROPTION...00563513476?pt=Timeshares&hash=item45fafb4084

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
A Holiday Homes handout had a listing/sold prices for WSJ VG weeks from Jan to Oct '10

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Property Tax Reminder

Virgin Grand Villas-2007 USVI Property Tax

Dear Virgin Grand Villas Owner,
This is a courtesy email to inform you that the 2007 USVI property tax bills were due on May 15th and are deemed delinquent if not paid by July 15th. Interest in the amount of 1% monthly will be assessed starting August 15th. If you have not yet received your 2007 property tax bill, we urge you to contact the Tax Office at 340.776.6737 to obtain a reprint of your tax bill. You may click here (http://public.usvi.cavucorp.com/) to search the data base to determine the amount of tax due, though please be aware that the Tax Office cannot accept payments online.

We also recommend the following important steps when making your payment:

Make your check payable to the Government of the United States Virgin Islands.
Include the Parcel Number on your check along with a copy of your tax bill(s).
Request a paid receipt and include a stamped self-addressed return envelope. We suggest you permanently retain your paid receipts in case of future inquiries from the Tax Office.
Remit your check to: Office of the Lieutenant Governor, Property Tax Collection Division, P.O. Box 447, Cruz Bay, St. John, Virgin Islands, 00831-0447 via certified or registered mail and with a return receipt requested.
Additional information may be found at the following web sites:

http://ltg.gov.vi/real-property-tax-system.html
http://ltg.gov.vi/tax-accessor-frequently-asked-questions.html

Sincerely,

SVO Management, Inc.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if anyone here is trying to bid and win on this. I don't mean to intefere, but .............. anyone seen this ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Westin-St-John-Resort-Villas-/180686065888?pt=Timeshares&hash=item2a11ba90e0

I think that they may have the MFs off "a tad".

-Item Description-

Buy Week 32 &

Get Unit/Week (33) FREE!!!!

Resort Name: Westin St. John Resort & Villas

Unit/Week: 3122/32 - (For Deeding Purposes Only)

Unit Size: 1-Bedroom/2-Bath (Sleeps 4)

Usage: Bi -Annually beginning 2012

(Floating Weeks 21-42; Gold Plus Season)

Maintenance Fees: $1100.44/unit (Including Taxes)

Trading Company: Interval International - Premier/Five Star Resort

Last edited:

jdds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sorry if anyone here is trying to bid and win on this. I don't mean to intefere, but .............. anyone seen this ?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Westin-St-John-Resort-Villas-/180686065888?pt=Timeshares&hash=item2a11ba90e0

I think that they may have the MFs off "a tad".

-Item Description-

Buy Week 32 &

Get Unit/Week (33) FREE!!!!

Resort Name: Westin St. John Resort & Villas

Unit/Week: 3122/32 - (For Deeding Purposes Only)

Unit Size: 1-Bedroom/2-Bath (Sleeps 4)

Usage: Bi -Annually beginning 2012

(Floating Weeks 21-42; Gold Plus Season)

Maintenance Fees: $1100.44/unit (Including Taxes)

Trading Company: Interval International - Premier/Five Star Resort

I thought that too, but it is every other year and if you look below, they say that it's $1100 poer unit. I was eyeing it up because my unit is on auction right now as well and my MFs are $1700 per year for an annual studio! But, if it's EOY, $2200 total for the unit wouold make sense since you have to pay yearly even though you only get to use it every other.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
The bid, so far is/was $82.00+ with a long way to go.

This should be interesting.

Last edited:

jdds

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going for it, good luck! I personally am trying to pair down my MFs :D

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going for it, good luck! I personally am trying to pair down my MFs :D

Ooooooh, soooooo tempting, but you said it - MFs !

Lovely to look at, great to own, painful in paying those MFs.

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the real estate taxes on top of those MF's!!

Yes. I just paid the 2007 taxes of $127.45, however, I bought it in 2008.
It's an interesting system they have there.
When I contacted the title company, they were very philosophical about it and said that this is the way it's always been and when I sell it, the buyer will end up paying some of my owed R.E. taxes.

Life in the islands..........

jdds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the real estate taxes on top of those MF's!!

Oh, the taxes. LOL I called down there about the 2007 taxes and they said they don't see me owing until 2009! So, when do you think the 2009 taxes will come due?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Taxes - it has been that way in the islands for years - BUT - it is going to change - and quickly (well... quick for island-time)

2007 taxes are due - 2008 taxes will be due soon - with 2009-2011 to follow (expect up to a 2x increase for 2010 - hopefully <2x - time will tell).

If you have questions about previous/current taxes - call with your parcel # (they actually answer their phone...) and ask - remember that you are speaking to an island person (do not demand and adapt...) that works in a USVI Gov't organization.

One advantage of WSJ-BV is that the property taxes are substaintially lower because of how they are set-up. I tried to get an a clear answer on this (failed), but something to do with how the land/building have different tax rates (assessed value) due to BV previously being a hotel (perhaps?)

Beaglemom3

TUG Member
Reaction score
DavidnRobin said:
"and ask - remember that you are speaking to an island person (do not demand and adapt...) that works in a USVI Gov't organization".

Good point on island politeness. Sometimes we are so busy getting to the point in order to save both sides time, that we forget the little pleasantries that are the norm in other cultures. This is very true for Barbados, too .

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Good point on island politeness. Sometimes we are so busy getting to the point in order to save both sides time, that we forget the little pleasantries that are the norm in other cultures. This is very true for Barbados, too .

plus - the accent can be strong which can be challenging over the phone (vs F2F).

btw - all the info on current and prior taxes is on-line - you just need your parcel number (or you can search by name, but that has downside - ie - one of mine has my 1st name as my middle name... arg) - and be able to interpret the interface. This is essentially what the person on the phone is doing.

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Dumb Question

Are Virgin Grand, Hillside, Pool Villas, and buildings 41-44 all the same thing? Thanks.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buildings 41-44 contain the 3-br pool villas. The 3-br pool villas are on a flat piece of ground between the resort proper and the hills overlooking the resort. Buildings 41 and 42 are older than Buildings 43 and 44. In general, Buildings 41 and 42 have 1 shared bath for the 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor. In general, each of the 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor of Buildings 43 and 44 has its own bathroom. There are other, minor differences in construction between the older Buildings 41 and 42 and the newer Buildings 43 and 44.

Virgin Grand (VG) or Hillside refers to the 3-br pool villas and the rest of the Phase I units. All Phase I WSJ units are mandatory SVN units. Like Harborside, all of Phase I at WSJ was sold as fixed week units.

The rest of the Phase I units are perched on the hills overlooking the resort. They are in Buildings 31-34. They are studios, 1-brs and 2-br units.

Phase II's newer units at WSJ are called Upper Hillside or, more frequently, Bay Vista (BV). All Phase II units are voluntary SVN units. They are all 2-br and 3-br units. Almost all are float weeks. Phase II units are in Buildings 24-27 of the resort map llinked below.

http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif

There are no lockoff units at WSJ. I consider that a drawback to owning at WSJ. There are so many good things about WSJ. But, flexibility of use of your week is not one of them. ... eom

jdds

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buildings 41-44 contain the 3-br pool villas. The 3-br pool villas are on a flat piece of ground between the resort proper and the hills overlooking the resort. Buildings 41 and 42 are older than Buildings 43 and 44. In general, Buildings 41 and 42 have 1 shared bath for the 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor. In general, each of the 2 bedrooms on the 2nd floor of Buildings 43 and 44 has its own bathroom. There are other, minor differences in construction between the older Buildings 41 and 42 and the newer Buildings 43 and 44.

Virgin Grand (VG) or Hillside refers to the 3-br pool villas and the rest of the Phase I units. All Phase I WSJ units are mandatory SVN units. Like Harborside, all of Phase I at WSJ was sold as fixed week units.

The rest of the Phase I units are perched on the hills overlooking the resort. They are in Buildings 31-34. They are studios, 1-brs and 2-br units.

Phase II's newer units at WSJ are called Upper Hillside or, more frequently, Bay Vista (BV). All Phase II units are voluntary SVN units. They are all 2-br and 3-br units. Almost all are float weeks. Phase II units are in Buildings 24-27 of the resort map llinked below.

http://www.omvillasstjohn.com/images/westin_map.gif

There are no lockoff units at WSJ. I consider that a drawback to owning at WSJ. There are so many good things about WSJ. But, flexibility of use of your week is not one of them. ... eom

Could not agree with this more. I learned that the hard way. I purchased at WSJ to actually go to WSJ every year. Turned out that getting to WSJ every year was not really doable for me, especially during the week I purchased. I tried to be flexible and get in on other weeks, or for shorter stays, and that was a no-go. One good thing that came out of my WSJ unit is that I definitely know the SVN SO trade system well. I have gotten a lot of use out of my SOs and have really made them work for me! I do consider WSJ to be one of the better SVN properties, though. I personally think St. John and the surrounding islands are gorgeous.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
If you want flexibility for WSJ - the VG phase (Hillside) is not recommended.

I never heard of the BV phase being called 'Upper Hillside'. They are not entirely float - they are being sold as both fixed and float - with no more than 50% being sold as fixed (iirc). The purpose was to overcome reservation and flexibility issues that exist for the VG phase.

jarta

TUG Member
Reaction score
David, ... "I never heard of the BV phase being called 'Upper Hillside'."

Please look at the resort map I linked in my last post. Maybe you never noticed it. However, Bay Vista (BV) is much more common.

You can "fix" a "float" week at BV or any Starwood resort that sells float weeks. All it takes is more money. But, in most cases, why bother to lock in a week - except for weeks 7 (Presidents), 47 (Thanksgiving), 51 and 52 ... eom

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I see said the blindman. Looks like they wanted to differentiate the lower buildings (lower hillside) and higher buildings (upper hillside) - so I guess that would make ours upper-upper hillside - lol

Of course - fixed units can be purchased - except that WSJ-VG is essentially all fixed, and you can't pay to float (or maybe you can). Whereas, with BV they offer float VOIs - and of course fixed, but limited to 50% (if I believe what sales told me...).

Last edited:

clsmit

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WSJ, HRA, WKORV, WMH, SBP, WLR
Thanks for the detailed responses! It's confusing when SVO even calls the units by different names.

Status
Not open for further replies.