• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
Many (many) people have bought resale WSJ without issue (including us), but wise to go in eyes-wide-open.
Often times it is the Seller not knowing what they exactly own because Sales is not entirely transparent, and USVI is on island time when it comes to transfer and taxes.
Just do your due diligence and research - like you are doing.
Unfortunately, too many do not.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Especially if you are buying in VGV you have to deal with the property tax being billed separately and you need a tax clearance to close.
With CV and SB you are buying X amount home options that are part of a trust? And a certificate of ownership is issued. No deed to be recorded. Taxes are included in the MF and paid by Vistana. All transfer paperwork is done in-house by Vistana in Florida. That is why if you have cooperating parties it can move quickly.

Reactions: DST

mclowe

Reaction score
I just looked at a closing timeline.
Won eBay auction 4/6, got closing docs 5/1. Mailed notarized info to them 5/7 and new ownership was in my account 6/25/19. @alexadeparis I am sorry yours took so long.

We are in closing right now.

9/22 - Offer accepted
9/23 - Seller sent confirmation of 2021 ressie in our name (fixed unit, fixed week)
9/28 - closing statement signed
9/29 - wired funds to escrow
9/30 - was told everything is done except for the tax clearance letters (Bay Vista so WSJ pays taxes) but they had already been ordered
10/22 (today) - still waiting to hear back but will give it another week or so before I check in with the attorney

Reactions: DST

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Especially if you are buying in VGV you have to deal with the property tax being billed separately and you need a tax clearance to close.
With CV and SB you are buying X amount home options that are part of a trust? And a certificate of ownership is issued. No deed to be recorded. Taxes are included in the MF and paid by Vistana. All transfer paperwork is done in-house by Vistana in Florida. That is why if you have cooperating parties it can move quickly.
Thank you - good to know on the property taxes, we are buying in SB. We are working with a great couple so I am hopeful that it goes smoothly

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Attachments

• 408D8DAB-DFAD-4BA3-A4C4-005B9320DB21.jpeg
    408D8DAB-DFAD-4BA3-A4C4-005B9320DB21.jpeg
    53.9 KB · Views: 52

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are in closing right now.

9/22 - Offer accepted
9/23 - Seller sent confirmation of 2021 ressie in our name (fixed unit, fixed week)
9/28 - closing statement signed
9/29 - wired funds to escrow
9/30 - was told everything is done except for the tax clearance letters (Bay Vista so WSJ pays taxes) but they had already been ordered
10/22 (today) - still waiting to hear back but will give it another week or so before I check in with the attorney
If this is VGV, your deed has to be recorded on STT. It can be a looooong haul as @alexadeparis stated .

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Bay Vista is deeded too.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Quick question. I think I know the answer, but just looking for confirmation from other owners.

If one owns a week in Bay Vista or Coral Vista, can the Home Options be used to reserve any available unit in any of these 3 sections (Virgin Grand, Bay Vista, Coral Vista, etc) at the 12 month mark?

Would this also include Sunset Bay section? Or is that different.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quick question. I think I know the answer, but just looking for confirmation from other owners.

If one owns a week in Bay Vista or Coral Vista, can the Home Options be used to reserve any available unit in any of these 3 sections (Virgin Grand, Bay Vista, Coral Vista, etc) at the 12 month mark?

Would this also include Sunset Bay section? Or is that different.
Each of the 4 HOA or phases is separate. At 12 months you can reserve in Sunset Bay using only SB HomeOptions in your season. At 12 months you can reserve at Coral Vista using only CV HomeOptions in your season. At 12 months you can reserve your floating week at Bay Vista in your season. Some people paid extra to buy a specific week/unit in Bay Vista but can choose to float it in their season. Virgin Grand has different rules with fixed weeks that Can float.

See post 1179 above with rules for SB and CV resies.

RLS50

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each of the 4 HOA or phases is separate. At 12 months you can reserve in Sunset Bay using only SB HomeOptions in your season. At 12 months you can reserve at Coral Vista using only CV HomeOptions in your season. At 12 months you can reserve your floating week at Bay Vista in your season. Some people paid extra to buy a specific week/unit in Bay Vista but can choose to float it in their season. Virgin Grand has different rules with fixed weeks that Can float.

See post 1179 above with rules for SB and CV resies.
Got it, thanks for confirming.

One remaining question I need confirmation on...what about at the 8 month mark and in? Is an owner in CV, BV, or SB ever allowed to use their Home Options for another section? Or must they always use within their own section one way or the other?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

One remaining question I need confirmation on...what about at the 8 month mark and in? Is an owner in CV, BV, or SB ever allowed to use their Home Options for another section? Or must they always use within their own section one way or the other?
Bay Vista is not a HomeOption ownership, it is a week based system. As a resale owner you can only reserve a week at a time there.

Resale owners can only reserve in their owned section.

mpc5473

Reaction score
Does anyone know what capacity WSJ is operating at? If the units are not all available for usage, has anyone challenged the expiration of usage rights that expire at the end of 2020?

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras

At 8 months HomeOptions become staroptions and anything in the system can be booked subject to availability. This includes other phases at WSJ.

cubigbird

Tug Review Crew Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Kierland X2, Westin St John-Sunset Bay X2, Westin Desert Willow, Westin Aventuras
Not if bought resale.

True. If bought resale, HomeOptions stay as home options and you can only book in your phase.

Kventrell

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort
Does anyone know what capacity WSJ is operating at? If the units are not all available for usage, has anyone challenged the expiration of usage rights that expire at the end of 2020?
We stayed there from Oct 29-Nov 2 and it seemed roughly less than 50% occupied. We were upgraded from a studio to a 2 BR VGV just by asking. Beaches were not crowded at all. Strict compliance with "no mask, no service" policy everywhere we went.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed there from Oct 29-Nov 2 and it seemed roughly less than 50% occupied. We were upgraded from a studio to a 2 BR VGV just by asking. Beaches were not crowded at all. Strict compliance with "no mask, no service" policy everywhere we went.
How would they enforce an occupancy restriction with owners anyway? Not let half the owners come down?

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
How would they enforce an occupancy restriction with owners anyway? Not let half the owners come down?
I was there 10/15-10/30. They aren’t restricting occupancy as far as I know but I agree having been there the same time in 2019, 40-50%. The last three days there was definitely more people.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Trying to decide whether to use our xmas week in BV this year.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. Trying to decide whether to use our xmas week in BV this year.
My husband and I are 65+
We have health concerns.
Because of the resorts physical layout we felt safe.
The pool and beach areas both are following social distancing rules.
We went in the pool and chatted with others and enjoyed ourselves at a distance.
We had our groceries delivered from Star Market and my husband walked over to St John market a few times. We didn’t eat out but had take out a few times.
Resort employees were all masked and most guests were compliant.

Looking forward to coming back.

letsgomets

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It's the plane travel that makes us uncertain. We have plane reservations for xmas week (cancellable), but not sure if we'll go or just rent it out. Very torn!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks. It's the plane travel that makes us uncertain. We have plane reservations for xmas week (cancellable), but not sure if we'll go or just rent it out. Very torn!
We felt very safe flying Delta non stop from NYC.
St Thomas airport was not crowded but everyone had to line up with their Covid testing results. You were masked and outdoors. We also wore face shields. Recommend this.

We felt unsafe connecting thru Charlotte - it was packed! And not the best at mask compliance. We went into a restaurant where they were following social distancing until they called our boarding.

You have to do what your are comfortable with.
Going forward will only do nonstop

Last edited: