• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I was looking at a resale SB unit. I did a thread search in this thread and didn't find an answer - do we know why CV/SB staroptions required don't seem to match up to what they should if booked separately in the lower seasons? For Example: CV and SB in platinum or Gold plus don't add up: 196,900 is required for 3 bedroom lockoff - so theoretically, a 2 bedroom should be 129,800 and a studio should be 67,100. = a 3 bedroom ressie should then = 196,900. but that is not what is happening - the 2 bedroom that locks off is still listed as 148,100, so if you made 2 separate reservations for a studio and a two bedroom then the staroptions costs are 215,200. Similarly, a 3 bedroom is 125,000 in Gold plus if booked together, and 139,700 if booked separately. It appears to be the same for SB as well. Why is this? Shouldn't they ALWAYS equal up to the components? Is this a skim ala marriott? Platinum Plus staroptions numbers work just fine and all add up, the extra points if booked separately is only happening in the lower seasons. Help me understand why this is?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I was looking at a resale SB unit. I did a thread search in this thread and didn't find an answer - do we know why CV/SB staroptions required don't seem to match up to what they should if booked separately in the lower seasons? For Example: CV and SB in platinum or Gold plus don't add up: 196,900 is required for 3 bedroom lockoff - so theoretically, a 2 bedroom should be 129,800 and a studio should be 67,100. = a 3 bedroom ressie should then = 196,900. but that is not what is happening - the 2 bedroom that locks off is still listed as 148,100, so if you made 2 separate reservations for a studio and a two bedroom then the staroptions costs are 215,200. Similarly, a 3 bedroom is 125,000 in Gold plus if booked together, and 139,700 if booked separately. It appears to be the same for SB as well. Why is this? Shouldn't they ALWAYS equal up to the components? Is this a skim ala marriott? Platinum Plus staroptions numbers work just fine and all add up, the extra points if booked separately is only happening in the lower seasons. Help me understand why this is?
I own in CV and SB. And I don’t know why! I have a 148,100 and 95.700 contract and can combine them and stay in a three bedroom In the fall for 125,000. I feel like I did ask way back when I first purchased. I know (Think)) they don’t sell a 3BR Ownership. Only 2BR and studio.

mclowe

Reaction score
Just purchased 2 weeks (Fixed weeks 11 & 12), 3 BR Bay Vista! We've been watching for a while and entertained a few resale listings but finally pulled the trigger! I'm really hoping we can get down there in March 2021.... We shall see I guess.

We are so excited and just wanted to share! We love St John and are really happy we can count on regular visits there. We've never done more than 10 days, and usually only go for 7 days, so 2 weeks will be such a treat.

Tell me what you love about WSJ, Bay Vista or mid/late March.....

cyntravel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a map of the different properties in Westin St. John.
I am a new owner trying to find the different types of units in each section and their locations.

I believe Sunset Bay Villas does not have elevators?

Thanks for your help.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I am a new owner trying to find the different types of units in each section and their locations.

Thanks for your help.

Lots of good info at this website put together by @alexadeparis:

Dig through the site you’ll find the current and past site maps.

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5

Thanks for your help.
No elevators 2 story building. There are two ocean front buildings and 4 poolside buildings. These 6 buildings surround the main pool area.

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how busy the resort was - i.e. at capacity, or not many people there?

I'm looking to post my unit for Feb. 2021 and am wondering if it will rent? Or if I should just bank the points (they would get banked until 12/31/2021, is that correct? Or is it 12/2022)?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Anyone know how busy the resort was - i.e. at capacity, or not many people there?

I'm looking to post my unit for Feb. 2021 and am wondering if it will rent? Or if I should just bank the points (they would get banked until 12/31/2021, is that correct? Or is it 12/2022)?
12/31/2023 for 2021 use year.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Do I need to cancel my reservation by a certain date to get the points banked until 12/31/2023? Or pay a fee to get it banked until 2023?
You just need to bank available star options by the banking deadline that applies to you. Elite members have a longer time period to bank points.

as long as you cancel the reservation 60+ days before the check in they won’t be restricted and will be able to be banked. If you know you’re not using your 2021 reservation, you can cancel it now and let the star options sit there. You have plenty of time to bank 2021 star options.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do I need to cancel my reservation by a certain date to get the points banked until 12/31/2023? Or pay a fee to get it banked until 2023?
Others can confirm, but as long as your reservation is a home resort reservation, you can cancel until the day before and have no issues. AGAIN, others would need to confirm since WSJ is odd with fixed weeks. Special rules may apply.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
geeez, I couldn’t have been any faster and the units are gone...... two nights in a row. I guess WSJ isn’t meant to be for me.

YYJMSP

TUG Member
Reaction score
geeez, I couldn’t have been any faster and the units are gone...... two nights in a row. I guess WSJ isn’t meant to be for me.

it's been a few years since we went, but i'm pretty sure it took us 9 consecutive days of trying to finally get a 2BR in the summer time at 8mos out...

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
it's been a few years since we went, but i'm pretty sure it took us 9 consecutive days of trying to finally get a 2BR in the summer time at 8mos out...
I can get a two bedroom but not for 148K SO, I’ll go at the end of the summer and save the 51,700 SO. That’s another unit for Bahamas. I just booked 8 nights over Memorial Day week at Atlantis. I’ll try again for Labor Day for WSJ. I was just so close! Timed perfectly, someone just timed it that much better I guess.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Does anyone know why the Virgin Grand recycle shed is locked? We arrived yesterday, and I tried to get in, only to find that our pool villa key would not work. I asked the concierge about this, and she had no answer. If you can't get in, how can anything be left for others t o use?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Does anyone know why the Virgin Grand recycle shed is locked? We arrived yesterday, and I tried to get in, only to find that our pool villa key would not work. I asked the concierge about this, and she had no answer. If you can't get in, how can anything be left for others t o use?

I would assume it is COVID related in that anything left would need to be cleaned/sterilized prior to someone else using it.

Gatorfan

Reaction score
When we were there in early July there was a note attached to the door indicating it had been closed due to COVID.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2021 MFs for VGV have been proposed - they rarely are altered from these amounts - so be prepared.

Does not include VSN fee, or Property Taxes - these are paid separately. Also, doesn’t include that BS $25/nite USVI Fee.

Studio: $1722.97
1Bd TH: $2297.40
2Bd TH: $2871.80
2Bd Prem: $3445.93
3Bd Pool: $3446.17

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
2021 MFs for VGV have been proposed - they rarely are altered from these amounts - so be prepared.

Does not include VSN fee, or Property Taxes - these are paid separately. Also, doesn’t include that BS $25/nite USVI Fee.

So... for example - the total cost of our June 2Bd TH (95.7K SOs) is ~$3200/week when PropTax and USVI Fee are included.
Ouch!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

It's my first year owning at WSJ and I just got the budget proposal, too. The amounts you listed, @DavidnRobin, are from the bottom line of the revenue side and seem to include revenue from Bank/Investment Interest, Late Fees, Maintenance Fee Interest Income, and Surplus Return along with what I would guess is the Maintenance Fee on the top line. If that interpretation of the budget is right, I would put them at:

Studio: $1643.47
1Bd TH: $2191.42
2Bd TH: $2739.31
2Bd Prem: $3286.96
3Bd Pool: $3287.18

In your experience, do they generally match the top budget revenue line for the maintenance fees or the Total Maintenance Fee Revenue line?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It's my first year owning at WSJ and I just got the budget proposal, too. The amounts you listed, @DavidnRobin, are from the bottom line of the revenue side and seem to include revenue from Bank/Investment Interest, Late Fees, Maintenance Fee Interest Income, and Surplus Return along with what I would guess is the Maintenance Fee on the top line. If that interpretation of the budget is right, I would put them at:

Studio: $1643.47
1Bd TH: $2191.42
2Bd TH: $2739.31
2Bd Prem: $3286.96
3Bd Pool: $3287.18

In your experience, do they generally match the top budget revenue line for the maintenance fees or the Total Maintenance Fee Revenue line?

The bottom line of budget (the numbers I listed) is the total 2021 MFs. The items you listed are all a part of that bottom-line amount. This is likely what will be billed as MFs.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The bottom line of budget (the numbers I listed) is the total 2021 MFs. The items you listed are all a part of that bottom-line amount. This is likely what will be billed as MFs.

Here's the budget I was referring to. The revenues are broken out in the upper portion as maintenance fees, bank/investment interest, late fees, maintenance fee interest income, surplus return, and a total maintenance fee revenue line that adds them all up. There's also a line for club rental revenue, but it is zeroed out.

Looking just at the Townhouse Suite column, the budget includes $2,191.42 for maintenance fees, $1.09 for bank/investment interest, $7.73 for late fees, $2.90 for maintenance fee interest income, and $94.26 for surplus return, totaling up to $2,297.40. I anticipate that I will be billed the $2,191.42 for my maintenance fees (plus the VSN fees, as appropriate) and that I will be billed separately for the property taxes.

I would be surprised to be billed for $7.73 for late fees; if I pay late, I expect instead that I'll be billed a $25 late fee for doing so and believe that the $7.73 represents the average amount of late fee collections the COA anticipates collecting from the entire association divided by the number of owners proportionally. (A total of $41,000 in late fees would be 1,640 owners paying late, divided by the 92 units means about 34% of owners pay late.)

I would interpret the bank/investment income interest and maintenance fee interest income line items to represent what the COA anticipates receiving from long term reserves in bank accounts or investments for the first one and for this year's maintenance fees while they are in a bank account prior to being spent during the year.

I would interpret the surplus return to represent the excess that was collected in maintenance fees beyond what was budgeted for reserves. (Sometimes those excesses can be retained for reserves just as easily, but it's up to the board to make that determination.)

I could be wrong in how I'm reading it, but if I do wind up being billed for late fees, interest income, and return of surplus from prior budgets I'm sure I will have questions, particularly since they are listed as revenues separate from the maintenance fee line item rather than expenses. That's just me, though....

Attachments

• VGV 2021 Proposed Budget.pdf
    755 KB · Views: 12

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Parking Tip: The visitor center in Cruz Bay has been closed for the last two weeks, due to corona virus. The permit parking spaces there have thus become free to use, which is convenient for anyone visiting Mongoose Junction or using the hiking trails to Salomon Bay or Honeymoon bay...and not too bad for walking to the center of Cruz Bay (there is a shortcut along the waterfront if heading to Uncle Joe's or beyond). Not sure how long this will continue, but check it out if you will be at WSJ in the next few weeks.