• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Here's the budget I was referring to. The revenues are broken out in the upper portion as maintenance fees, bank/investment interest, late fees, maintenance fee interest income, surplus return, and a total maintenance fee revenue line that adds them all up. There's also a line for club rental revenue, but it is zeroed out.

Looking just at the Townhouse Suite column, the budget includes $2,191.42 for maintenance fees, $1.09 for bank/investment interest, $7.73 for late fees, $2.90 for maintenance fee interest income, and $94.26 for surplus return, totaling up to $2,297.40. I anticipate that I will be billed the $2,191.42 for my maintenance fees (plus the VSN fees, as appropriate) and that I will be billed separately for the property taxes.

I would be surprised to be billed for $7.73 for late fees; if I pay late, I expect instead that I'll be billed a $25 late fee for doing so and believe that the $7.73 represents the average amount of late fee collections the COA anticipates collecting from the entire association divided by the number of owners proportionally. (A total of $41,000 in late fees would be 1,640 owners paying late, divided by the 92 units means about 34% of owners pay late.)

I would interpret the bank/investment income interest and maintenance fee interest income line items to represent what the COA anticipates receiving from long term reserves in bank accounts or investments for the first one and for this year's maintenance fees while they are in a bank account prior to being spent during the year.

I would interpret the surplus return to represent the excess that was collected in maintenance fees beyond what was budgeted for reserves. (Sometimes those excesses can be retained for reserves just as easily, but it's up to the board to make that determination.)

I could be wrong in how I'm reading it, but if I do wind up being billed for late fees, interest income, and return of surplus from prior budgets I'm sure I will have questions, particularly since they are listed as revenues separate from the maintenance fee line item rather than expenses. That's just me, though....

That is a lot of writing...

The amount on the bottom - Operating and Reserve Fee (the sum of the Total_Net_Operating and Reserve Fee) is the proposed amount of the annual fees. It has been this way for years. I have the amounts going back to 2006, and is in the Historic MF Database put together by Nico.

This amount is what is usually approved by the BOD, and shows up as the amount due on the MF bill (along with VSN fee if applicable).

btw - the Late Fee (as example) that you mention is a revenue that the VGV HOA received - thus revenue. You are not being charged a Late Fee - the HOA received this revenue from those who were late to pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
My view for the next two weeks.
Sunset Bay oceanfront

Attachments

• 6535F7DA-848F-4C7A-8086-EA8CAA2BEEE8.jpeg
    6535F7DA-848F-4C7A-8086-EA8CAA2BEEE8.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 71
  • 0012E79B-C451-4484-BF01-180B61ABB050.jpeg
    0012E79B-C451-4484-BF01-180B61ABB050.jpeg
    108.3 KB · Views: 72

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
My view for the next two weeks.
Sunset Bay oceanfront
I thought pets weren't allowed??? ;):LOL::LOL:

I love the finishes in SB. Nice view too!

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pat,

Enjoy your vacation. How busy is the town/shops/resort?

We spent 5 nights at Marriott's Frenchmens Cove and it felt empty.
Arrived at Westin yesterday and our general observation is there are many more people here. On the beach and at the pool.
Many restaurants are now open, I will post the list.

We hired a private cab from airport to Marriott to Red Hook. We came on the Westin ferry. Have not been to town. We used Billy and Cory from Landlubber Logistics to pick up and deliver our order from Starfish Market. They will also pick up our take out dinners from the restaurants in town and bring to us. It is our personal preference not to eat in restaurants at this time.

I do plan on going into town to check out some shops and decide if we feel safe/comfortable to come back for drinks.

There seemed to be a lot of places open in Red Hook and we will likely take the ferry over one evening for happy hour drinks ( and bag of chips)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Current restaurants as of 10/11/20

Attachments

• B0D0A9DC-47F1-4981-A290-83A02BC2AA20.png
    B0D0A9DC-47F1-4981-A290-83A02BC2AA20.png
    159.8 KB · Views: 62
  • 9BF46FE9-35E7-455B-BF2A-14A51F76410E.png
    9BF46FE9-35E7-455B-BF2A-14A51F76410E.png
    165.6 KB · Views: 65
  • 98BF7590-2984-49DD-965C-3E143700149C.jpeg
    98BF7590-2984-49DD-965C-3E143700149C.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 52
  • B1B7226E-25CC-49DD-B59A-4FDF9D87D968.png
    B1B7226E-25CC-49DD-B59A-4FDF9D87D968.png
    171.3 KB · Views: 45

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
@GrayFal nice view- enjoy!

Gibber161

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John
We are coming down on an Explorer package that guarantees a 1 bedroom unit. It is my understanding that the hillside villas are the only buildings that have 1 bedroom units. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
We are coming down on an Explorer package that guarantees a 1 bedroom unit. It is my understanding that the hillside villas are the only buildings that have 1 bedroom units. Is this correct or have I been misinformed?

Correct. Only VGV has 1Bd villas.
However, they could put you in a 2Bd instead.

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Hi I am new to TUG and also to timeshare ownership - I have so many questions...We are familiar with Westin St John and have stayed here several times. If we purchase resale in sunset bay, my understanding is that we have a deeded ownership but not a specific unit - we are buying in the Diamond season (176,700 options). We are using Concierge Realty for the closing so I feel good that this is the best route. Our options cannot be used at other resorts, which is ok for us - we love St John and that is why we are buying; is that correct?
My questions - if we buy resale, can we use the options during non-diamond times. We like to vacation in August and September and may want to use the unit during that time, is that allowed or are we restricted to only weeks 1-19, 51, 52?

Here is my biggest concern - we are buying and could take 90 days to close, the membership dues are due January 1st - if we have not closed by then, what happens?

I apologize for all the questions, I am hoping that this is the right place to post these questions. My understanding from Cyntravel is that you all are very knowledgeable and friendly group :)
Thank you

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi I am new to TUG and also to timeshare ownership - I have so many questions...We are familiar with Westin St John and have stayed here several times. If we purchase resale in sunset bay, my understanding is that we have a deeded ownership but not a specific unit - we are buying in the Diamond season (176,700 options). We are using Concierge Realty for the closing so I feel good that this is the best route. Our options cannot be used at other resorts, which is ok for us - we love St John and that is why we are buying; is that correct?
My questions - if we buy resale, can we use the options during non-diamond times. We like to vacation in August and September and may want to use the unit during that time, is that allowed or are we restricted to only weeks 1-19, 51, 52?

Here is my biggest concern - we are buying and could take 90 days to close, the membership dues are due January 1st - if we have not closed by then, what happens?

I apologize for all the questions, I am hoping that this is the right place to post these questions. My understanding from Cyntravel is that you all are very knowledgeable and friendly group :)
Thank you
Hi, welcome. You should be able to book lesser seasons, but I believe that doesn’t open up until 8 months in advance, whereas in the diamond season you should be able to book 12 months out. Keep in mind you are restricted to Sunset Bay units, So if the weeks you want are not available in Sunset Bay, you will be shut out from booking, if say week 36 (or whatever) is only available at the other phases. There is a resale owner I believe it is GrayFal, that may be able to better explain the restrictions.

If it doesn’t close before the maintenance fee is paid/due, Vistana will notify the closing company that it needs to be paid Before they will conduct the transfer. I had a WSJ closing that took a VERY long time, almost 2 years, to the point where I contacted the sellers personally and we worked out that they would pay, show me the receipt, and I would reimburse them directly, because our closing company was obviously shit. It worked out fine.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hi, welcome. You should be able to book lesser seasons, but I believe that doesn’t open up until 8 months in advance, whereas in the diamond season you should be able to book 12 months out. Keep in mind you are restricted to Sunset Bay units, So if the weeks you want are not available in Sunset Bay, you will be shut out from booking, if say week 36 (or whatever) is only available at the other phases. There is a resale owner I believe it is GrayFal, that may be able to better explain the restrictions.

This is correct. You can book "resort Season" at 8 months out only at SB. Keep in mind that at 8 months out you are competing with ALL others StarOptions owners; you no longer have any priority. This can be tricky as 8 months prior to August is December - you could get shut out of your years usage of January-April as most owners will have booked their time one year out.

I am currently closing on a SB 148K contract first use 2021. Vistana requested 2021 fees be put into escrow at start of closing process

Last edited:

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
This is correct. You can book "resort Season" at 8 months out only at SB. Keep in mind that at 8 months out you are competing with ALL others StarOptions owners; you no longer have any priority. This can be tricky as 8 months prior to August is December - you could get shut out of your years usage of January-April as most owners will have booked their time one year out.

I am currently closing on a SB 148K contract first use 2021. Vistana requested 2021 fees be put into escrow at start of closing process
Great information thank you - we are very flexible on our travel, which is one reason we decided to take the plunge. We signed the papers this morning and they think it will take about 75-90 days and we may have to put the fees for 2021 in escrow, which is fine. Do you think we should ask the current owners to book a week now or just wait and see what occurs. If we could not get a week that would work for us, we could take any week and rent that out and go on our own with out use of the options, correct?
We are so excited - St John is one of our favorite places in the world :)

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ

If it doesn’t close before the maintenance fee is paid/due, Vistana will notify the closing company that it needs to be paid Before they will conduct the transfer. I had a WSJ closing that took a VERY long time, almost 2 years, to the point where I contacted the sellers personally and we worked out that they would pay, show me the receipt, and I would reimburse them directly, because our closing company was obviously shit. It worked out fine.

Thanks - I read a lot on the realty company and the closing company and hoping they are better than your experience. Someone told me that the hardest part to all this is learning the Vistana website (lol) I may need to take a class (lol)

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Great information thank you - we are very flexible on our travel, which is one reason we decided to take the plunge. We signed the papers this morning and they think it will take about 75-90 days and we may have to put the fees for 2021 in escrow, which is fine. Do you think we should ask the current owners to book a week now or just wait and see what occurs. If we could not get a week that would work for us, we could take any week and rent that out and go on our own with out use of the options, correct?
Yes, if you are buying from an actual person ( as opposed to an eBay/ post card company type of sale) ask them to make a resie for you in your season, say week 17 or 18. Then, when you get to the 8th month mark of 8/15 resie on 12/15, they can check the website to see if sunset bay is available for your preferred date. If it is, they can call Vistana make the switch for them. If you cancel a resie outside of 60 days, there is no change fee.

When I look at WSJ to book on Vistana website it first lists availability in Coral Vista and Sunset Bay. After that it generically lists all other availability. So as an owner, you can see What is available in your phase.

I am not sure what you mean by “go on our own with out use of options”
If they make a resie for you, that will use your 2021 options. If you make your resie in Resort season 19-50 you will have left over options or else make a 10-12 day resie instead.

Last edited:

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you!! We would actually prefer to be on the hillside.
I suggest when you get your arrival email that you specify you would like to be up there. I specified I wanted my two resies in Sunset Bay and they honored my request. My first three day Staroptions resie should have been in Hillside and my 11 day HomeOption resie In SB

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just looked at a closing timeline.
Won eBay auction 4/6, got closing docs 5/1. Mailed notarized info to them 5/7 and new ownership was in my account 6/25/19. @alexadeparis I am sorry yours took so long.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Won eBay auction 4/6, got closing docs 5/1. Mailed notarized info to them 5/7 and new ownership was in my account 6/25/19. @alexadeparis I am sorry yours took so long.
it was the horrific closing company, every time something happened to move it forward it was because I had to call and ask WTF was going on - then they did the deed wrong twice, then they got it right but taxes were due, then they paid the taxes but didn't pay the fees, etc. I only lost one year of use because i bought it when they were closed - but i contracted for it June 2018 and it wasn't in my vistana account until Jan of this year. a hot mess. I did pay 2019 fees and was a "guest" of the seller. But even getting them to make a reservation through the closing company was insane, so i finally contacted the sellers direct. i ended up having to take the ferry and spend one night at Wyndham Margaritaville because there was a one night gap between my SO ressie and my SO ressie from the seller - they could only do SO because the delays with the closing company cost me the home reservation, with the miscommunication, and when the smoke cleared there was "no room at the inn" for that missing night. WSJ was nice about it and held most of our baggage, we basically packed one carry on between the two of us for that single night on STT and left the 2 big bags. After that fiasco, the sellers and i just basically acted in concert as though it was already in my name, they paid 2020 mf and property taxes and i reimbursed. So all's well that ends well. Basically, I could now close any WSJ unit myself between all the phone calls to the government offices and hounding them at every turn, i know the exact procedure from A to Z now. But i STILL haven't stayed in my Fixed Week Pool Villa yet due to it not arriving in my account until January, the pandemic, and other things in my schedule. Hope to next year.

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
Yes, if you are buying from an actual person ( as opposed to an eBay/ post card company type of sale) ask them to make a resie for you in your season, say week 17 or 18. Then, when you get to the 8th month mark of 8/15 resie on 12/15, they can check the website to see if sunset bay is available for your preferred date. If it is, they can call Vistana make the switch for them. If you cancel a resie outside of 60 days, there is no change fee.

When I look at WSJ to book on Vistana website it first lists availability in Coral Vista and Sunset Bay. After that it generically lists all other availability. So as an owner, you can see What is available in your phase.

I am not sure what you mean by “go on our own with out use of options”
If they make a resie for you, that will use your 2021 options. If you make your resie in Resort season 19-50 you will have left over options or else make a 10-12 day resie instead.
I was thinking that if worse case scenario and we don't get to make a reservation, we could always just book without using our options but I like your idea better :)

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
WOW - that was fast - our gal is saying 75 days.....hoping to get it for Christmas :)

DST

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Bay - STJ
it was the horrific closing company, every time something happened to move it forward it was because I had to call and ask WTF was going on - then they did the deed wrong twice, then they got it right but taxes were due, then they paid the taxes but didn't pay the fees, etc. I only lost one year of use because i bought it when they were closed - but i contracted for it June 2018 and it wasn't in my vistana account until Jan of this year. a hot mess. I did pay 2019 fees and was a "guest" of the seller. But even getting them to make a reservation through the closing company was insane, so i finally contacted the sellers direct. i ended up having to take the ferry and spend one night at Wyndham Margaritaville because there was a one night gap between my SO ressie and my SO ressie from the seller - they could only do SO because the delays with the closing company cost me the home reservation, with the miscommunication, and when the smoke cleared there was "no room at the inn" for that missing night. WSJ was nice about it and held most of our baggage, we basically packed one carry on between the two of us for that single night on STT and left the 2 big bags. After that fiasco, the sellers and i just basically acted in concert as though it was already in my name, they paid 2020 mf and property taxes and i reimbursed. So all's well that ends well. Basically, I could now close any WSJ unit myself between all the phone calls to the government offices and hounding them at every turn, i know the exact procedure from A to Z now. But i STILL haven't stayed in my Fixed Week Pool Villa yet due to it not arriving in my account until January, the pandemic, and other things in my schedule. Hope to next year.
WOW - sorry to hear baout your experience, this is what made us very cautious to do it without going through Westin but I think we are in good shape.....or at least I hope we are

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
WOW - sorry to hear baout your experience, this is what made us very cautious to do it without going through Westin but I think we are in good shape.....or at least I hope we are

Many (many) people have bought resale WSJ without issue (including us), but wise to go in eyes-wide-open.
Often times it is the Seller not knowing what they exactly own because Sales is not entirely transparent, and USVI is on island time when it comes to transfer and taxes.
Just do your due diligence and research - like you are doing.
Unfortunately, too many do not.
Congrats!