• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Hopefully, that is not correct. The Vistana site says otherwise, and if it still says it when I convert my SO to credits, I will print the page, with the countdown to my vacation at the top, to prove it said this on the date I converted.

Resort Credit | Vistana™ Signature Experiences

The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pūlehu, an Italian Grill
  • Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Pu‘ukoli‘i General Store
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas North
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono

But it also says this, which sounds like food/drink only:

Activate Upon Arrival
Visit the Concierge to activate your Resort Credit to start spending on eligible on-site food and beverage.

And this which clearly says merchandise:
  1. Credit may only be applied at check-out to designated eligible amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets that are purchased on‑site and charged to your villa folio. Not valid for room, tax, gift cards, gratuities, charitable donations, or any other items, fees, or services.
  2. Designated amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets are subject to change.
`
We received the resort credit terms and conditions sheet at check in a few days ago that we had to sign. Also went into the marketplace at WKORV and verified resort credit usage is ok there. View attachment 33920

It appears Vistana has updated the list of outlets where one may use the Resort Credits in Maui.

Screen Shot 2021-05-09 at 6.26.15 PM.png

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
It appears Vistana has updated the list of outlets where one may use the Resort Credits in Maui.

View attachment 35456
Thanks for the update. So this validates what I was saying, which nobody seemed to believe — that the resort credit could not be used at the market.

I think when the other on-site restaurants reopen, you should be able to use the credits there too. So does this mean that Mauka Makai has reopened and that people from WKORV/N are able to eat there? When I was there in March, they were not allowing WKORV/N folks to use facilities at Nanea, or vice-versa, but I think only the pool bar/grill was open at that point.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Has anyone checked out and used Resort Credits at the WKORV market?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Are they now able to be used at the WKORV market? It's not on the list of approved venues.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I doubt it. They were really clear in March that the resort credits could not be used there. When you activate the credits (you have to see the concierge for that) they give you a list of the venues where they can be used, and the WKORV market isn't on it. I *think* the WKORVN market might be on it, but when I was there the North market wasn't open (or so I was told, I didn't go look.)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I doubt it. They were really clear in March that the resort credits could not be used there. When you activate the credits (you have to see the concierge for that) they give you a list of the venues where they can be used, and the WKORV market isn't on it. I *think* the WKORVN market might be on it, but when I was there the North market wasn't open (or so I was told, I didn't go look.)

I would also doubt it since the WKORV market is not owned by Vistana but is contracted. The WKORVN market is owned by Vistana but it is not showing as open on the resort's status page.

duke

TUG Member
Reaction score
Ah ha..... While the Resort Credit can only be used for Food and Beverage ..... The Gift Credit from the Timeshare Sales Presentation ($150) can be used for the Market, Taxes, and all other charges.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ah ha..... While the Resort Credit can only be used for Food and Beverage ..... The Gift Credit from the Timeshare Sales Presentation ($150) can be used for the Market, Taxes, and all other charges.
I believe the resort credit can also be used for the spa and for excursions, kids club, and things like that, when they all reopen.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I believe the resort credit can also be used for the spa and for excursions, kids club, and things like that, when they all reopen.

Yes that has happened with Spa Helani in Maui as it has reopened.

Screen Shot 2021-06-09 at 9.43.20 PM.png

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Opportunities to use the Resort Credits continue to improve in Hawaii. Blue Hawaiian Helicopters can now be booked with Resort Credits through the concierge. This new offering is available at all three resorts in Maui and the two in Kauai.

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 3.54.08 PM.png

lily28

TUG Member
Reaction score
i was told i can’t use the resort credit because i have resale staroptions

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
i was told i can’t use the resort credit because i have resale staroptions
Apparently that is the case. Only for developer or requalified StarOptions.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Is this stated anywhere in writing?
Yes. In the terms and conditions.

OFFER TERMS & CONDITIONS
This offer permits eligible StarOptions to be redeemed for a Resort Credit at participating Westin® Vacation Club and Sheraton® Vacation Club resorts to be applied toward eligible amenity services, which may vary by Resort.
ELIGIBILITY
  1. Participants must be VSN members with sufficient available StarOptions to reserve a Resort Credit. Vacation Ownership Interests (“VOIs”) purchased through an unauthorized resale agent or HOA resale offer, or VOIs not enrolled in the VSN, are not eligible for this offer.

Miafinos

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
Just got back from Maui, stayed at WKORV and used some resort credit. As many have already noted here, the options have expanded a bit. We did eat at Auntie's Kitchen, Pailolo Grill, Inu Bar, and Mauka Makai. Mauka Makai was the better option for breakfast. Pailolo seemed a bit better for lunch and dinner. I wasn't crazy about the food at Auntie's Kitchen. I was told that the credit covered tips as well, just not tax. We also booked some massages at the spa and used credit towards that. Be aware that there is a significant tax charged for massages that the resort credit does not typically cover. All in all it was a good option to use some Covid-related restricted options that otherwise would have been difficult to use.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Just got back from Maui, stayed at WKORV and used some resort credit. As many have already noted here, the options have expanded a bit. We did eat at Auntie's Kitchen, Pailolo Grill, Inu Bar, and Mauka Makai. Mauka Makai was the better option for breakfast. Pailolo seemed a bit better for lunch and dinner. I wasn't crazy about the food at Auntie's Kitchen. I was told that the credit covered tips as well, just not tax. We also booked some massages at the spa and used credit towards that. Be aware that there is a significant tax charged for massages that the resort credit does not typically cover. All in all it was a good option to use some Covid-related restricted options that otherwise would have been difficult to use.

Are the breakfast buffets back? or is it just to go or table service at Aunties. Curious as it keeps changing and I am not there to see it.

Miafinos

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV
Are the breakfast buffets back? or is it just to go or table service at Aunties. Curious as it keeps changing and I am not there to see it.
Breakfast buffets are not back yet. To go and dine in service were both open. You stand in line at the register and place your order, take the assigned number to an open table, then they bring the food out to you when ready. Pailolo was serving on actual plates, but all of the other places were serving in to go boxes even if you were dining in.

Moparman42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas x2
Breakfast buffets are not back yet. To go and dine in service were both open. You stand in line at the register and place your order, take the assigned number to an open table, then they bring the food out to you when ready. Pailolo was serving on actual plates, but all of the other places were serving in to go boxes even if you were dining in.

cool. Still better than it was in November and January when I was there last. Heading back in October, so I am hoping. thank you for the info!

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
Update on using options for resort credit - CALL THE RESORT IN ADVANCE. Apologies for the length of this post.

Like many - I was pleased to learn of this feature as we have so many Options likely to go unused due to COVID. We are at WDW (desert willow) for one week, cashed in 45,000 options for $550 in resort credit. Checked the owner website and spoke with owner services in advance to be certain of terms and conditions. Website clearly reads:

1630009236211.png

1630009288586.png

I knew going in that in-villa dining, Agave, Palo Verde and Marketplace were all closed - I went with it anyway figuring between 6 adults we could easily eat and drink $500 at the pool bar in a week.

At check-in I was told by a management level employee that my reservation reflected the resort credit, I just needed to activate with the concierge. He also said the credit could be used at the pool bar and the marketplace (which just reopened!) for food and beverage, and also at the sun shop for pool toys and floats - extra bonus! Fantastic I thought.

So - next day I go to concierge and activate the credit. Concierge advises credit can be used at pool bar for food and beverage. I ask - what about the marketplace and sun shop - I am told no. I think no big deal, I had not planned on those options anyway.

A day later, we are in the lobby and I see the guy that checked me in, so I decide to follow-up about the resort credit and conflicting info I had been given. He confirms:
sun shop - YES
marketplace - YES, food/bev only
Pool Bar - YES, but only food and NON-ALCOHOLIC beverages.

WAIT A MINUTE! Nobody at owner services mentioned that and no one and property mentioned that, and so far we charged $200 in alcohol. I told him that was not clear anywhere and was not acceptable. He advised he would look into it and call me.

He calls within the hour - confirms no alcohol and says the info was in the email I received confirming my resort credit. Here's my email:

1630010048227.png

So - I print him a copy of my email as well as a copy of the info on the Vistana owners website - we go round and round about the definition of the word "beverage." He suggests that if they intended to include alcohol, it would have read "alcoholic beverages". I contend when you list a bar as a outlet where the credit can be used, it is only logical the consumer would assume that to mean alcoholic beverages. I also point out that the list of exclusions is fairly detailed and alcohol is not listed.

He finally agrees to look at it again, he calls me the next morning to let me know that after discussing the situation with owner services, they will allow me to use the resort credit for alcohol charges already incurred and offers suggestions of how to spend the remaining credit. All and all they made it right, but it was an issue that could have been easily avoided with better, timely information.

I don't know if my issue was unique to this property or perhaps California, but for those thinking of utilizing large report credits, you may want to do a bit of digging first.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I wonder if they really have a method to differentiate at checkout? Your charges for each check will all show up as a single amount billed to your folio. Your folio won't split out alcoholic beverage vs food. Just the amount billed by Agave.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
I wonder if they really have a method to differentiate at checkout? Your charges for each check will all show up as a single amount billed to your folio. Your folio won't split out alcoholic beverage vs food. Just the amount billed by Agave.
I wondered that too, and thought maybe I should just let it go and see what happens at check-out. Unfortunately, I had already gone down the other road when I came to that revelation.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Just another example of a bureaucracy run amok. Very poor customer service that they wouldn’t immediately concede the issue and allow you to use the credit as expected.

And, yet another reason why I will never bother buying a timeshare direct. Who needs these types of “benefits”…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have used resort credit twice now, at Westin Desert Willow (in April of this year) and at Westin Ka'anapali South (in March of this year.) Both times the credit was mostly used at the pool bar, for alcohol (since nothing else was open) and there was never any mention of restrictions against use for alcohol. In fact, if that restriction existed, it would make the resort credit option largely worthless.

When you activate the resort credit with the concierge (I don't know if that's actually necessary, I feel like it's just something they tell you so that you'll have to go and let them convince you to do an owner update) they give you a paper listing the places you can use the credit. In my limited experience, that paper has never made any distinction as to what you can purchase at the facilities listed.

I have to wonder if the check-in guy didn't perhaps transfer in from the Marriott side where there are many folks whose religious views prejudice them against alcohol use. Or something. Anyway, the restriction this guy is telling you about does not exist, and if they try to pull that on me when I'm there in October (I already converted my last 2021 SOs to resort credit at WDW for that trip) I am not going to let them get away with it.

Edit: I even heard anecdotal reports that you could use the resort credit to pay for the local fees and room taxes that are assessed on stays at some resorts.

Edit #2: The terms say you can't use the credit for gratuities, but that's exactly how I used the last of my remaining resort credit at WDW in April. I gave an extra-generous gratuity at Auntie's to eat up the last of my remaining resort credit, I figured I'd rather see it go to the staff than just waste it.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have used resort credit twice now, at Westin Desert Willow (in April of this year) and at Westin Ka'anapali South (in March of this year.) Both times the credit was mostly used at the pool bar, for alcohol (since nothing else was open) and there was never any mention of restrictions against use for alcohol. In fact, if that restriction existed, it would make the resort credit option largely worthless.

When you activate the resort credit with the concierge (I don't know if that's actually necessary, I feel like it's just something they tell you so that you'll have to go and let them convince you to do an owner update) they give you a paper listing the places you can use the credit. In my limited experience, that paper has never made any distinction as to what you can purchase at the facilities listed.

I have to wonder if the check-in guy didn't perhaps transfer in from the Marriott side where there are many folks whose religious views prejudice them against alcohol use. Or something. Anyway, the restriction this guy is telling you about does not exist, and if they try to pull that on me when I'm there in October (I already converted my last 2021 SOs to resort credit at WDW for that trip) I am not going to let them get away with it.

Edit: I even heard anecdotal reports that you could use the resort credit to pay for the local fees and room taxes that are assessed on stays at some resorts.

Edit #2: The terms say you can't use the credit for gratuities, but that's exactly how I used the last of my remaining resort credit at WDW in April. I gave an extra-generous gratuity at Auntie's to eat up the last of my remaining resort credit, I figured I'd rather see it go to the staff than just waste it.
Thanks for the info on your experience - sounds like I got the wrong guy and the wrong day; and I should have just let it go until checkout to see how it played out.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Edit #2: The terms say you can't use the credit for gratuities, but that's exactly how I used the last of my remaining resort credit at WDW in April. I gave an extra-generous gratuity at Auntie's to eat up the last of my remaining resort credit,
This is why I don't think they have a method to differentiate. When you add a tip to the tip line of the bill, the total hits the folio and the credit would be able to be applied to it because it was from a restaurant that was on the list.