• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I don't recall seeing the credit being listed on my online Vistana reservation.

My most recent conversion now shows in the body of my Vistana reservation.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I'm trying to understand and get this straight: we have 14,000 "dangling" Staroptions, expiring in 2023. We have a stay coming up at Westin Lagunamar (not our home resort) this year. Is it possible to convert the 14,000 Staroptions to resort credit at our Westin Lagunamar stay this year? And if so, a Concierge must be involved?
You call owner services to convert the SOs into resort credit and attach it to a reservation. When you get to Westin Lagunamar, you go to the concierge to activate the resort credit. On check out, you will find that the resort credit has been applied and any unused resort credit is forfeited. If you only own resale, you cannot convert SOs to resort credit.

Westin Lagunamar does not participate in the Resort Credit program.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)

Eligibility #1 contradicts itself. (Not the first time…)
The Resort Info (‘What I Own’) on the Vistana Dashboard states that VSN Mandatory resorts (regardless of Developer or resale) are listed as VSN Members.
It does not distinguish where or how the VOI was attained.
Also, a VSN Fee is paid (that is mandatory) so the SOs are equivalent no matter what their source.

When I called to convert - there was no discussion on source of the SOs. They gave me my choice of which I could use. I used 2 allotments (of 3 types) of the most restricted ones that I have.

As it was unlikely I could use these SOs - it was a deal. I plan to do again in Sept at WKORV if still available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

blondietink

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Saratoga Springs; Sheraton Vistana Villages St. Augustine; Westin Adventuras
I'm trying to understand and get this straight: we have 14,000 "dangling" Staroptions, expiring in 2023. We have a stay coming up at Westin Lagunamar (not our home resort) this year. Is it possible to convert the 14,000 Staroptions to resort credit at our Westin Lagunamar stay this year? And if so, a Concierge must be involved?

Lagunamar does not participate in the resort credit program.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
This thread has been silent for a while, but I am hoping someone has info on when/why there were/are changes to this program. I have converted staroptions to resort credit several times and love it. Currently looking to book our 2024 vacation, and was hoping to convert remaining expiring staroptions, but current vistana website list only 2 properties participating in the program. When did this change? It was never all of the properties, but it certainly was a much longer list.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This thread has been silent for a while, but I am hoping someone has info on when/why there were/are changes to this program. I have converted staroptions to resort credit several times and love it. Currently looking to book our 2024 vacation, and was hoping to convert remaining expiring staroptions, but current vistana website list only 2 properties participating in the program. When did this change? It was never all of the properties, but it certainly was a much longer list.
Which properties are they listing? Were the Maui properties removed? Perhaps because of the situation there?

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
They are only listing 2 properties now: Princeville and Steamboat Springs.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When the program was first rolled out many properties were included, and Nanea added later as well.

1696368601977.png

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've noticed a couple of resorts disappear from the list, reappear, and redisappear, all within a couple of days. One of them was Sheraton Steamboat, but even though it wasn't showing at the time I was able to get them to do the credit transaction via chat. I know it's not the greatest value, but I was willing to do it just to test the process out.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
MVC : Don’t worry about getting restricted StarOptions, they can be converted to Resort Credit.

Me: Nope

7c510c2bee37b2db98dc840ecf6129dc.jpg

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I wonder if it has anything to do with what your own? Oddly, I own at the first 2 resorts below, and I used to own at the 3rd one:

Screen Shot 2023-10-03 at 2.41.03 PM.png

sponger76

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it has anything to do with what your own? Oddly, I own at the first 2 resorts below, and I used to own at the 3rd one:

View attachment 82059
I only own Sheraton Flex and Westin Aventuras within Vistana but I'm seeing the same as you. But as I said previously, I've seen the list change even within the same day. Maybe it's just a problem of the page not showing all the eligible properties for some reason?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
When I go to the Vistana site, it lists eight properties as being eligible for resort credit.

THE WESTIN KĀ‘ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS NORTH

LĀHAINĀ, MAUI , UNITED STATES​

ACTIVITIES​

• Spa Helani, A Heavenly Spa by Westin™
  • Blue Hawaiian Helicopters
  • Trilogy Sailing
  • Wailele Luau
  • Maverick Helicopter

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Pu‘ukoli‘i General Store
  • Kauhale Market

SHERATON VISTANA RESORT

ORLANDO , UNITED STATES​

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Zimmie’s Bar & Grill
  • Castaways Bar & Grill
  • The Outpost Bar (seasonal)
  • Mai Tiki Hut Bar
  • Azzula
  • The Market Place

THE WESTIN PRINCEVILLE OCEAN RESORT VILLAS

PRINCEVILLE, KAUA‘I , UNITED STATES​

ACTIVITIES​

• Papai Rentals (poolside cabanas)
  • Holo Holo Charters
  • Luau Kalamaku
  • Freedom Spa

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Princeville Market
  • Nanea Restaurant & Bar

THE WESTIN KĀ‘ANAPALI OCEAN RESORT VILLAS

ACTIVITIES​

• Trilogy Sailing
  • Wailele Luau
  • Maverick Helicopter

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Kauhale Market

SHERATON STEAMBOAT RESORT VILLAS

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS , UNITED STATES​

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Saddles Market
  • Saddles Lounge
  • Fish Creek Grille (closed December through April)

THE WESTIN NANEA OCEAN VILLAS

ACTIVITIES​

• Trilogy Sailing
  • Wailele Luau
  • Maverick Helicopter

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Kauhale Market

SHERATON DESERT OASIS

SCOTTSDALE , UNITED STATES​

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Splash Bar & Grille

SHERATON KAUA‘I RESORT VILLAS

KOLOA, KAUA‘I , UNITED STATES​

ACTIVITIES​

• Holo Holo Charters

FOOD & BEVERAGE​

• Lava’s Restaurant
  • The Link Cafe

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Six properties here. THough we only own resale, so none of our StarOptions would be eligible.

SHERATON DESERT OASIS

THE WESTIN PRINCEVILLE OCEAN RESORT VILLAS

SHERATON VISTANA VILLAGES

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I only own WSJ, and I see 4 properties. This is really strange.

SHERATON VISTANA RESORT

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Today when I went to look, I see a different list from yesterday, this time with 9 properties, including WKV and WDW, but no longer including Westin Princeville. It's certainly strange.

I'm going to assume this is yet another website anomaly and that the properties which have been part of the resort credit program in the past are still part of the program.

I don't think it has anything to do with my ownership, as I don't own at most of the properties on the list and the list seems to change from day to day or perhaps hour to hour.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had applied resort credits to WKV and WDW in the past, although we were not able to use them at WDW when nothing was open when we visited, no Marketplace and no restaurant. We got the SOs refunded to us unrestricted, so it worked out for us in the end.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the quick replies. It all seems very odd. I don't think it is related to ownership as the list when I checked had zero overlap with my onership. I guess I will give it a go with a live person and see what happens.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for all the quick replies. It all seems very odd. I don't think it is related to ownership as the list when I checked had zero overlap with my onership. I guess I will give it a go with a live person and see what happens.
One other thing to add, since sometimes it's difficult to get through to Vistana on the phone. I have successfully used the "chat" feature on the dashboard to convert extra StarOptions to resort credit on a couple of occasions in the past. I find that to be convenient since you don't have to wait on hold and can usually be multitasking if you have to wait for the agent to respond.

Troyrissa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
How can you tell how much in resort credit you will receive for the number of staroptions?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
How can you tell how much in resort credit you will receive for the number of staroptions?
IIRC, it was $110 for 9000 options when I converted.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
9000 StarOptions costs $200+ for WKORV OFD - thus my photo

Nobody ever said it was a good deal. It's almost never a good deal when you use your ownership to exchange for something else.
But I've happily used "leftover" SOs for resort credit. It's a way to get some value out of a pittance of SOs that wouldn't really be enough to book something. Of course, it might often be a better option to bank them and use them in a future year, but we're past the banking deadline for most folks.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Doesn't apply to resale purchases