• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
This proves why actual experience for things like these is more reliable than any information you may get from owner services or even people onsite.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
If they give you any problems on check out, tell them all the bar charges were for non-alcoholic drinks and let them try to prove differently. The data is probably buried in their system but I doubt the check-out clerk can access it.

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
If they give you any problems on check out, tell them all the bar charges were for non-alcoholic drinks and let them try to prove differently. The data is probably buried in their system but I doubt the check-out clerk can access it.
Thanks for the tip!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I see that the Maui Vistana resorts now allow the use of Resort Credits for Trilogy cruises!

tkrisnel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD), Westin Kaanapali North (2 BD LO/EOY - ODD; and 2 BD LO/EOY - EVEN)
Update on resort credits in Maui. We had a bunch of restricted baked options (thanks to covid). Cashed in 153,000 options, for over $1800! Stayed at Westin Nanea for 9 days. We did Triology cruise. massages at Spa Heleni, multipe drinks of the day at the bar every days, several breakfasts and dinners, and went home with a ton of souvenirs from the on-site market. Everything was seamless! And front desk staff was helpful in getting us a mid-week status on usage and remainder of points.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
Update on resort credits in Maui. We had a bunch of restricted baked options (thanks to covid). Cashed in 153,000 options, for over $1800! Stayed at Westin Nanea for 9 days. We did Triology cruise. massages at Spa Heleni, multipe drinks of the day at the bar every days, several breakfasts and dinners, and went home with a ton of souvenirs from the on-site market. Everything was seamless! And front desk staff was helpful in getting us a mid-week status on usage and remainder of points.
How long did you bake your options for? It sounds like a good way of getting something useful out of them. ;)

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
How long did you bake your options for? It sounds like a good way of getting something useful out of them. ;)
Banked StarOptions are good for the two calendar years after the use year.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2019 I had expiring banked options and with nowhere to use, I converted to $1210 Resort Credits for a Westin Desert Willow stay in March 2020. It turned out that nothing was open, no Marketplace and no restaurant and they had a limited pool bar which they just opened up 5 days before. I was pretty unhappy because when I converted to resort credits, the Vistana rep said I could use at the Marketplace. The WDW manager contacted Vistana and they extended my expired banked SOs to expire in Dec 2022. Score! :)

Last edited:

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
I'm thinking of converting some of our SO to resort credits for my upcoming WKORV stay. I have around 10k that will expire this December and a bunch that expires next year. My cost per point if I use my SDO Plat works out to around 0.8 cents per SO, and the resort credit is worth 1.2 cents per SO, so it's not a bad deal. I think I can easily go through about $550 of resort credit.

For those who have done this, what is the best way to convert - is it online or do you have to call in? They can pull from multiple SO "buckets" (i.e., 2022 banked and 2023 banked) in the same request, correct?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm thinking of converting some of our SO to resort credits for my upcoming WKORV stay. I have around 10k that will expire this December and a bunch that expires next year. My cost per point if I use my SDO Plat works out to around 0.8 cents per SO, and the resort credit is worth 1.2 cents per SO, so it's not a bad deal. I think I can easily go through about $550 of resort credit.

For those who have done this, what is the best way to convert - is it online or do you have to call in? They can pull from multiple SO "buckets" (i.e., 2022 banked and 2023 banked) in the same request, correct?
Calling in is probably easiest if you can get them on the phone without an interminable wait on hold. But I have also had success using the chat or "send us a message" function on the website dashboard. If you use the "send us a message", be really clear and explicit about which year(s) and which VOIs you are pulling from. Assume that you are dealing with an idiot and make the instructions idiot-proof (though you may well get lucky and have your request handled by someone competent.)

So long as I've clearly included everything they needed to know, they've done the resort credit conversion that way and sent me an email confirmation, and no waiting on hold was required.

I believe that they can combine SOs from different buckets, you just need to give them really clear instructions so they don't screw it up. So if you can get through on the phone, I think that's a superior choice. But in 2020 and 2021 it was really hard to reach anyone.

The last crucial step occurs when you arrive at the property. You apparently MUST "activate" the resort credit by going to see the concierge on arrival and asking them to do so. Supposedly they will not let you use the credit at check-out if it hasn't been activated. (I suspect this is just another way to get you in front of someone who will try to sign you up for a sales presentation...) But the concierge will also let you know all the places the resort credit can be used, and you will have to sign a document acknowledging that.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

You'll need to call in to CS. And yes they can pull from different SO buckets, usually the oldest ones first. You'll need to have the concierge activate the credit after you arrive at the resort. I don't recall seeing the credit being listed on my online Vistana reservation.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA

We just did the same thing with $880 in resort credit over two weeks at WKORV, including a Trilogy dinner cruise and many dinners at Auntie’s Kitchen. Most of it was from restricted StarOptions expiring at the end of 2021 that I converted to the resort credit at the last minute. This is an awesome benefit. I hope they keep it around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Just to confirm, only StarOptions from developer-bough contracts can be used for resort credit? No resales?

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just to confirm, only StarOptions from developer-bough contracts can be used for resort credit? No resales?
Yes, this only works for enrolled weeks/options, so they either have to be developer-bought or requalified.

MarineBlue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland 2B
Westin Lagunamar 1B EOY
Westin Lagunamar 2B EOY
Just yesterday, I wanted to convert our expiring (enrolled) Options for credit at WDW. Our adult son and new wife are going to use the three nights I had booked under our name. I called to change the name on the reservation and then asked about them using our expiring Options for credit at the resort. Customer Service said they don't issue credits for a different name on the reservation. CS did confirm that you talk to CS first to get the credit, and then when on-site go to the Concierge to activate. Their loss... the Concierge missed out on a sales opportunity to convince a couple to attend a presentation!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Yes, this only works for enrolled weeks/options, so they either have to be developer-bought or requalified.

I don’t think this is correct - I used a combination of different types of restricted SOs - there is no link to where these SOs came from. I have resale Mandatory SOs in the SOs used for Resort Credit.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don’t think this is correct - I used a combination of different types of restricted SOs - there is no link to where these SOs came from. I have resale Mandatory SOs in the SOs used for Resort Credit.

If you have a mix of resale and qualified VOIs, you might be able to get away with using restricted SOs from the mandatory resale VOIs for resort credit. I don’t think Vistana’s system is smart enough to track where the SOs came from once you are in a different year. This might be the case for banked SOs too, I don’t think they know where they came from.

But I believe the terms of the resort credit program state that it’s only for ownerships that are eligible for conversion to Bonvoy points or something like that. They just may not have a way to keep track.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just yesterday, I wanted to convert our expiring (enrolled) Options for credit at WDW. Our adult son and new wife are going to use the three nights I had booked under our name. I called to change the name on the reservation and then asked about them using our expiring Options for credit at the resort. Customer Service said they don't issue credits for a different name on the reservation. CS did confirm that you talk to CS first to get the credit, and then when on-site go to the Concierge to activate. Their loss... the Concierge missed out on a sales opportunity to convince a couple to attend a presentation!
It’s a good thing you hadn’t already requested the resort credits, as they’d have been lost as a result of the name change.

From the T&C;
  1. StarOptions applied to a Resort Credit will be forfeited as a result of a Resort reservation name change into a third-party.
I wonder if you could have solved this by merely adding your son’s name to the reservation instead of changing it completely?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
It’s a good thing you hadn’t already requested the resort credits, as they’d have been lost as a result of the name change.

From the T&C;
  1. StarOptions applied to a Resort Credit will be forfeited as a result of a Resort reservation name change into a third-party.
I wonder if you could have solved this by merely adding your son’s name to the reservation instead of changing it completely?

Also, I think the resort credits are specific to each reservation.
So if you have a resort credit at say WKV, and you have to cancel the reservation, then you lose the credit. I recall CS reading me the T&C when I've called to convert options to credit. I could be wrong. Maybe CS could transfer the credit to another reservation stay.

I had a short stay at WDW in December that I had to cancel. I didn't get the credit for that stay as there weren't many services or restaurants open at the time of reservation, and was glad I hadn't. So best to check what you can use the credit on for your reservation. I usually wait a week or two before check-in to redeem options for credit.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Also, I think the resort credits are specific to each reservation.
So if you have a resort credit at say WKV, and you have to cancel the reservation, then you lose the credit. I recall CS reading me the T&C when I've called to convert options to credit. I could be wrong. Maybe CS could transfer the credit to another reservation stay.

I had a short stay at WDW in December that I had to cancel. I didn't get the credit for that stay as there weren't many services or restaurants open at the time of reservation, and was glad I hadn't. So best to check what you can use the credit on for your reservation. I usually wait a week or two before check-in to redeem options for credit.
You can’t cancel the resort credit, as you say. But if you cancel the underlying reservation, the resort credit SOs will be returned to your account. If the cancellation is within 60 days of check in, the resort credit SOs will be returned as restricted SOs (and so would the SOs for the cancelled villa.)

I think waiting until a week or two before check-in to attach the resort credit is a good idea. The only exception might be that I *think* you can use, for example, expiring 2022 SOs as a resort credit for a 2023 reservation. That might be a better option than paying to bank them and then exchanging them for resort credit later, and it’s certainly a better option than letting them expire.

rcv82

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SMV
WKORV (OFD)
Westin Flex
MVC Trust
GTL
GP8
CWA
The only exception might be that I *think* you can use, for example, expiring 2022 SOs as a resort credit for a 2023 reservation. That might be a better option than paying to bank them and then exchanging them for resort credit later, and it’s certainly a better option than letting them expire.

Yes, this worked for me, even with expiring restricted SOs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

suzanna945

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St John
I'm trying to understand and get this straight: we have 14,000 "dangling" Staroptions, expiring in 2023. We have a stay coming up at Westin Lagunamar (not our home resort) this year. Is it possible to convert the 14,000 Staroptions to resort credit at our Westin Lagunamar stay this year? And if so, a Concierge must be involved?

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to understand and get this straight: we have 14,000 "dangling" Staroptions, expiring in 2023. We have a stay coming up at Westin Lagunamar (not our home resort) this year. Is it possible to convert the 14,000 Staroptions to resort credit at our Westin Lagunamar stay this year? And if so, a Concierge must be involved?
You call owner services to convert the SOs into resort credit and attach it to a reservation. When you get to Westin Lagunamar, you go to the concierge to activate the resort credit. On check out, you will find that the resort credit has been applied and any unused resort credit is forfeited. If you only own resale, you cannot convert SOs to resort credit.

Added: Only a handful of resorts participate in the program. You will need to check with owner services on the current list.

Last edited: