• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Would SO for stay credit include resales? Or just developer purchased

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
So you can't use the credits for anything that would be charged to the room? Items bought at the store on property, Maui Jim sunglasses purchased from towel shack, etc?
I have over 150k banked and restricted options leftover from last year's canceled vacation at KOR North, and I can't eat that much food or drink that many cocktails. Especially since I don't really love the restaurants on property. But if I can get some merch, maybe.
And did I see we can't use credit at other Marriott/Westin/Sheraton properties?

Thank you.

Oh, I finally found it on the dashboard. So it can be used at the market/general store on property at KORN. But I guess not for sunglasses. Well, I will have to consider using some of my SO for credit, I guess. Not going until fall.
I was told it could NOT be used in the market/general store at KOR, pretty sure that applied at KORN too but not positive. I think the stores are not operated by the resort (they are leased to operator(s)) and so although you can do room charges from there, you can't use the resort credit.

Right now, the only place you can use the resort credit is the Pailolo Bar and Grill out at the pool at KORN, the pool bar/Auntie's at KOR, and.... I think that's it.

Sonomamon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOR North
I was told it could NOT be used in the market/general store at KOR, pretty sure that applied at KORN too but not positive. I think the stores are not operated by the resort (they are leased to operator(s)) and so although you can do room charges from there, you can't use the resort credit.

Right now, the only place you can use the resort credit is the Pailolo Bar and Grill out at the pool at KORN, the pool bar/Auntie's at KOR, and.... I think that's it.

Hopefully, that is not correct. The Vistana site says otherwise, and if it still says it when I convert my SO to credits, I will print the page, with the countdown to my vacation at the top, to prove it said this on the date I converted.

Resort Credit | Vistana™ Signature Experiences

The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pūlehu, an Italian Grill
  • Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Pu‘ukoli‘i General Store
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas North
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono

But it also says this, which sounds like food/drink only:

Activate Upon Arrival
Visit the Concierge to activate your Resort Credit to start spending on eligible on-site food and beverage.

And this which clearly says merchandise:
  1. Credit may only be applied at check-out to designated eligible amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets that are purchased on‑site and charged to your villa folio. Not valid for room, tax, gift cards, gratuities, charitable donations, or any other items, fees, or services.
  2. Designated amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets are subject to change.
`

Last edited:

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hopefully, that is not correct. The Vistana site says otherwise, and if it still says it when I convert my SO to credits, I will print the page, with the countdown to my vacation at the top, to prove it said this on the date I converted.

Resort Credit | Vistana™ Signature Experiences

The Westin Nanea Ocean Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono
The Westin Kā‘anapali Ocean Resort Villas North
FOOD & BEVERAGE

• Pailolo Bar & Grill
  • Auntie’s Kitchen
  • Kai Ala Market
  • Mauka Makai Restaurant
  • Inu Pool Bar & Grill
  • Kauhale Market
  • Mea ‘Ono

But it also says this, which sounds like food/drink only:

Activate Upon Arrival
Visit the Concierge to activate your Resort Credit to start spending on eligible on-site food and beverage.

And this which clearly says merchandise:
  1. Credit may only be applied at check-out to designated eligible amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets that are purchased on‑site and charged to your villa folio. Not valid for room, tax, gift cards, gratuities, charitable donations, or any other items, fees, or services.
  2. Designated amenity services, merchandise, and food and beverage outlets are subject to change.
`
I realize it says differently, but I’m reporting what I was told, at the resort, when using the resort credit, just three weeks ago. They gave me a printed copy of that list with only a few things highlighted, and told me the highlighted ones were the only places I could use the credit. Later in my stay, at the front desk, they told me the same thing.

So believe me or not, I’m just telling you what the situation was when I was there.

The list you see online applies to normal times, probably, and these are not normal times.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I realize it says differently, but I’m reporting what I was told, at the resort, when using the resort credit, just three weeks ago. They gave me a printed copy of that list with only a few things highlighted, and told me the highlighted ones were the only places I could use the credit. Later in my stay, at the front desk, they told me the same thing.

So believe me or not, I’m just telling you what the situation was when I was there.

The list you see online applies to normal times, probably, and these are not normal times.
Isn't really the only question about whether the marketplace accepts the credits? Aren't all the other places simply closed?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I know at Sheraton Vistana Villages, they recently outsourced the Marketplace to a vendor. It just reopened a few weeks ago under the new vendor. As of our recent stay we were able to use a room credit (received because of a delayed checkin) at the Marketplace. I suspect that may end at some point with the Marketplace at SVV now outsourced.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I know at Sheraton Vistana Villages, they recently outsourced the Marketplace to a vendor. It just reopened a few weeks ago under the new vendor. As of our recent stay we were able to use a room credit (received because of a delayed checkin) at the Marketplace. I suspect that may end at some point with the Marketplace at SVV now outsourced.

As of the last time I was there, WKORV-N has a Westin run Marketplace while WKORV (S) does not.

Southdown13

TUG Member
Reaction score
We received the resort credit terms and conditions sheet at check in a few days ago that we had to sign. Also went into the marketplace at WKORV and verified resort credit usage is ok there.
CEE049B4-6C3E-47AA-A37C-0D27233B57D8.jpeg

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As of the last time I was there, WKORV-N has a Westin run Marketplace while WKORV (S) does not.

That would explain why they told me I couldn’t use resort credit at the WKORV market, but perhaps you can use it at the market at WKORV North.

Note that you can still do room charges at the market, you just won’t be able to apply resort credit to them when it comes time to pay.

I wouldn’t expect anyone working in the market to know anything about Vistana resort credit or how it can be used, so I wouldn’t trust anything someone there says about the credit. Talk to the concierge or someone at the front desk to get accurate information.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Kai Ala Market at WKORV N was closed when we were there earlier this month.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
The Kai Ala Market at WKORV N was closed when we were there earlier this month.
It was closed when we checked in last week and is still closed today when we checked out of WKORVN.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Are all of those venues currently open? Thinking in particular about Pulehu...
Slapping my forehead.

No, Pulehu isn't open. There is only one dining option open at each property, and it's the pool bar and grill (Auntie's, Paiola, Inu.)

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Slapping my forehead.

No, Pulehu isn't open. There is only one dining option open at each property, and it's the pool bar and grill (Auntie's, Paiola, Inu.)

My understanding from talking to some friends/employees at WKORVN is that everything is scheduled to reopen in April but they're unsure of exactly the date.

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
Slapping my forehead.

No need to slap your forehead. The list that Southdown 13 posted from a more recent stay than yours says that the credit can be redeemed there. One would think that the resort would keep their own list updated.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No need to slap your forehead. The list that Southdown 13 posted from a more recent stay than yours says that the credit can be redeemed there. One would think that the resort would keep their own list updated.
To be clear, they gave me that exact same list, it's a little contract you sign to be able to use the resort credit. But they verbally told me (and used a pink highlighter pen to mark up the list) that you could only use the resort credit at the pool bar/grill at the three resorts (the only dining that's open).

I'm sure that document predates Covid, predates the lease-out of the market at KOR and the closing of the market and the restaurants at the other two resorts.

I virtually slapped my forehead because there's a whole page of discussion on this topic, and about what's open and what's not open, including confirmation from people that the open/closed situation hasn't changed. I didn't mean to be rude, just a bit exasperated. I'll try to refrain myself in the future. :p

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
predates the lease-out of the market at KOR

The WKORV market has been run by a third party for at least the 15 years I’ve been visiting, based on what I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The WKORV market has been run by a third party for at least the 15 years I’ve been visiting, based on what I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Someone else posted above that it had recently changed from Westin-operated to leased out. If that's not true, I apologize for repeating it. What I do know, is that I was told by the concierge and by the front desk at WKORV that the resort credit could not be applied against charges from the market.

Since the market is on the printed list, I assumed that the earlier posting was correct as that would explain why resort credit might have previously been usable at the market, but not any more.

If the market has always been leased, then I don't know why the change to no longer allowing resort credit to be used there.

EDIT: I misread the earlier post, which said that the market had recently been changed to a vendor lease at SVV, not at WKORV.. So that's totally my mistake. So I have no idea why the change in policy.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Someone else posted above that it had recently changed from Westin-operated to leased out. If that's not true, I apologize for repeating it. What I do know, is that I was told by the concierge and by the front desk at WKORV that the resort credit could not be applied against charges from the market.

Since the market is on the printed list, I assumed that the earlier posting was correct as that would explain why resort credit might have previously been usable at the market, but not any more.

If the market has always been leased, then I don't know why the change to no longer allowing resort credit to be used there.

EDIT: I misread the earlier post, which said that the market had recently been changed to a vendor lease at SVV, not at WKORV.. So that's totally my mistake. So I have no idea why the change in policy.

That market has always been treated differently. In the past they had different check-out procedures with their own handwritten receipt, and whenever we wanted to charge to the unit they had to create a different receipt for signature which could, I assume, be sent to accounting to be added. Some years ago they automated this somewhat but IIRC it's still different than other venues on property.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That market has always been treated differently. In the past they had different check-out procedures with their own handwritten receipt, and whenever we wanted to charge to the unit they had to create a different receipt for signature which could, I assume, be sent to accounting to be added. Some years ago they automated this somewhat but IIRC it's still different than other venues on property.
Ah yes, I now remember the handwritten room charge tickets there. You're undoubtedly right that it may always have been operated by a lessee.

So I can't explain why they won't let you use resort credit there, except that perhaps they had to pay the lessee 100% of the amounts charged, and so it was costing them a lot of money over charges from the Westin-operated venues where there is a lot of margin built into the prices.

Sonomamon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOR North

Not saying I don't believe you, but if it is not what it says on their site, they should update the site. What if I exchange all my options, and then have no way to spend all that credit? I would not be happy.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Not saying I don't believe you, but if it is not what it says on their site, they should update the site. What if I exchange all my options, and then have no way to spend all that credit? I would not be happy.
I think the issue right now is simply COVID closures. Most things on property are closed. You can't spend resort credit at someplace that isn't open. Though there does appear to be some discrepancy with the Marketplace perhaps being outsourced to a vendor.

Sonomamon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOR North
I think the issue right now is simply COVID closures. Most things on property are closed. You can't spend resort credit at someplace that isn't open. Though there does appear to be some discrepancy with the Marketplace perhaps being outsourced to a vendor.
It's going to beabout 5 months before I am there. Hoping things change.