• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Using StarOptions for Resort Credit - New Feature

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Has anyone actually used StarOptions from resale contracts towards resort credit? I have heard many times that only StarOptions from developer-purchased contracts qualify. But I have not seen a single report from someone using resale StarOptions.

Reaction score
I called customer service about this last week. They said that it has to be used only at certain resorts and you simply call customer service in advance of your trip and they will deduct the amount of points your request for food and bev credit for that stay.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Has anyone actually used StarOptions from resale contracts towards resort credit? I have heard many times that only StarOptions from developer-purchased contracts qualify. But I have not seen a single report from someone using resale StarOptions.

It would be interesting to hear of someone's experience in this since Vistana specifically states "StarOptions from any bucket, such as restricted, banked, etc., can be used to request Resort Credits . . ." (emphasis added by controller1)

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It would be interesting to hear of someone's experience in this since Vistana specifically states "StarOptions from any bucket, such as restricted, banked, etc., can be used to request Resort Credits . . ." (emphasis added by controller1)
This could get complicated. Does Vistana have the ability to track, realtime, where every SO originated? Some people have developer and resale weeks. What happens if these SOs have been combined to make reservations which have been cancelled, and this process has been repeated many times? I have some SOs that expire in 2021 and have no clue what contract they come from...

jabberwocky

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVR, SDO, WKORV-N, Westin Flex, HGVC (BLVD)
This could get complicated. Does Vistana have the ability to track, realtime, where every SO originated? Some people have developer and resale weeks. What happens if these SOs have been combined to make reservations which have been cancelled, and this process has been repeated many times? I have some SOs that expire in 2021 and have no clue what contract they come from...
I think they do have the capability to track where the SO came from. One of my cancelled reservations in March was just before the 120 day policy was introduced and involved banked SO that were to expire this year and some expiring in 2021.

Fortunately when Vistana made the 120 policy retroactive in March we were included, but for a bit it showed Restricted SO with a 2020 expiry as well as 2021 expiry on two separate lines.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I wish we could just transfer StarOptions into a Resort Credit bucket to be used when we check out to offset resort charges - at ALL the resorts. Just like when we transfer Options to Points. Or, better yet, just allow us to use Points for resort credit.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I wish we could just transfer StarOptions into a Resort Credit bucket to be used when we check out to offset resort charges - at ALL the resorts. Just like when we transfer Options to Points. Or, better yet, just allow us to use Points for resort credit.

I know Spa Helani (WKORVN also serving WKORV and Nanea) allows the use of Marriott Bonvoy points for payment of services. The exchange rate is horrendous.

Now that I think of it that might have been SPG Starpoints. I'm not sure that ability transferred when the loyalty programs combined in August 2018.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
There's a 3:1 difference between Starpoints and Bonvoy.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
There's a 3:1 difference between Starpoints and Bonvoy.

Very aware of that. But I'm not sure if the ability to use Bonvoy points is available as it was with Starpoints. When one could use Starpoints at the spa the rate was about 100 Starpoints:$1 which valued the Starpoints at one cent or much less than one could get in using them for lodging.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Yea, I used to rate them at about 2 cents or so.

needvaca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MGO, WKV, SVV Bella
Yes they do. Very exactly actually. I have multiple ownerships and it shows exactly online how many SOs I have for each. Each time I make a reservation, you can choose which eaxact SOs to use. Or it chooses for you with the ones that will expire first. And then it shows you which ownerships still have SOs available to use. And they know exactly which ownerships are developer vs resale. I own both.
I was told before that I couldn’t use my resale SOd for resort credit. Then I pushed it via email with Vistana and they agreed that I could use my specific SVV resale SOs for resort credit. They wouldn’t say if I could use any resale SOs, so I think they are still figuring it out.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Yes they do. Very exactly actually. I have multiple ownerships and it shows exactly online how many SOs I have for each. Each time I make a reservation, you can choose which eaxact SOs to use. Or it chooses for you with the ones that will expire first. And then it shows you which ownerships still have SOs available to use. And they know exactly which ownerships are developer vs resale. I own both.
I was told before that I couldn’t use my resale SOd for resort credit. Then I pushed it via email with Vistana and they agreed that I could use my specific SVV resale SOs for resort credit. They wouldn’t say if I could use any resale SOs, so I think they are still figuring it out.
They do seem to combine them into a single bucket though when you bank StarOptions.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Marriott's rate is worse for the owners. You get only 33.84 cents per point vs. paying 58 cents per point.

With Vistana you can generally get more back or break even than MF, depending on ownership.

I agree... although I believe MF for points is more like 64 cents at this point. So 34c is almost a 50% haircut.

What's more - Marriott allows transfer of points between owners and the going rate is 63c-68c so there is very little reason to do this if you can sell your points to another member. I just converted one of my weeks to pints and renred the points very easily in that range. The exception to the ability to transfer points is if your points were already moved once (transfer from another owner, bank, borrow) then you are in a "use it or lose it" situation so I could see someone doing this then to make the most of some leftover points. Living in FL, there are some resorts in my area that are extremely cheap in hurricane season - I can get a studio for ~70 points a night on 60 day advance notice - so I'd rather use leftover points for a short "staycation"...

WIth Vistana it does appear that the 1.2c per SO ($110/9000) gives you back the value of maintenance fees at least for some of the loweer MF resorts like WKV (at WKV MFs are around $1700 for 148,100 SO).

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Lagunamar - Cancun
Using an Option at a less than ideal rate is better than losing it completely because you have no way to use it.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
They do seem to combine them into a single bucket though when you bank StarOptions.
I know that, but that was not my question.

I own a lot of weeks. I know I can chose the SOs that are used for every SO reservation. When you cancel in a timely manner SOs go back to their respective origin unit and then you can select the SO source when making reservations, like you mentioned. However, if you cancelled under the COVID policy closer than 60 days, the SOS become restricted (see @dioxide45 post). Think about then using restricted SOs and cancelling over and over. I think all Vistana knows at this point is that SOs are restricted and they expire on 12/31/2021. I seriously doubt they can tell with certainty where the COVID banked SOs originally came from: Developer, Resale, Retroed, Banked, etc...

EGBOK

Reaction score
New TUG member here! This is my first post so not sure I’m asking in the correct thread bu here goes! :unsure:
We have a trip coming up the first week of April at Nanea (we’re owners at the Westin kaanapali (first one). We have quite a few star options left that are going to expire in Dec (canceled trips due to Covid-19). We want to put them toward the resort credit but I would like to know what we can use them for? I know food and drinks at the resort but what about cabanas? Or Spa charges?
Thank you for any help! :love:

LahainaMoon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN
The resort credit applies to food and beverage only. Exact details are shown in your dashboard for each resort where this applies.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
New TUG member here! This is my first post so not sure I’m asking in the correct thread bu here goes! :unsure:
We have a trip coming up the first week of April at Nanea (we’re owners at the Westin kaanapali (first one). We have quite a few star options left that are going to expire in Dec (canceled trips due to Covid-19). We want to put them toward the resort credit but I would like to know what we can use them for? I know food and drinks at the resort but what about cabanas? Or Spa charges?
Thank you for any help! :love:
I was just there (March 5-14) at WKORV. I was in the same situation and decided to cash in 18,000 options for $220 in resort credit. Note that my comments apply to WKORV and WKORVN — right now they are prohibiting WKORV/N guests from utilizing Nanea facilities and vice-versa. My advice would be to call a Nanea concierge and ask what's open and where you can use the credit, my understanding is that you will be limited to whatever is open at Nanea and won't be able to use WKORV/N stuff.

The two of us found it challenging to use $220 on our 9-night stay. The only place the credit was usable was the pool bar at the two resorts and the food-truck-poolside-restaurant (Paniola Grill or something like that) at WKORV-N. At the end of our stay, Auntie's Kitchen reopened with just a few grab-and-go type entrees and we were able to use some of the credits there. You could not redeem the resort credits at the general store off of the lobby, and there is/was no "sit down" type dining open at either resort. So at least during our stay, it was basically drinks at the pool and sort of take-out breakfast or lunch at Paniola's or Auntie's. And we aren't big drinkers, so at the end of our stay we still had something like $70 left.

Ordinarily I think you could also use the credit for spa services (now closed) or at Pelehu (also closed.) If you are big drinkers, it won't be hard to use credit sitting at the pool and drinking Mai Tais, if the weather cooperates, but we had a few days where the pool wasn't really an option because of weather. On the morning of our departure we used up the rest of the credit with a big breakfast at Auntie's and a VERY generous tip charged to the room (figured I'd rather see the rest of the resort credits go to the staff than simply lose it through non-use.)

One other note: since they don't provide any way for you to view your folio during the stay, the only way to know how much credit is left is to wait in line and ask at the front desk, or keep careful track of your spending. Also, the resort credit needs to be manually credited to your folio, and that didn't happen until I went to the front desk to enquire, I think maybe the concierge is supposed to do it when you tell them about the resort credit at the beginning of your stay, but mine didn't.

While we were there, I heard rumors that all of the restaurants were soon going to reopen, and so maybe that has happened. If so, that will dramatically increase the ways you can use the credit. We had expected to be able to use quite a bit of it by having dinner at one of the restaurants one night, but none of what was open was really a viable dinner option, and they closed really early, like 7 pm as I recall.

So long as you have a plan for how you're going to use them, the resort credit is a decent way to use options that you'd otherwise not be able to use. Have a great time at Nanea!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I had redeemed 99,000 SOs or $1,210, most of them were from expiring 2020 SOs, for a 3-night stay at Palm Desert in March. The website said the pool bar and Marketplace were opened. When we got there, we were told that the Marketplace was closed indefinitely because they did not even have a vendor. Their pool bar just opened 3 days before we arrived. We were frustrated and the front desk manager contacted Vistana the following morning and we got the credits moved to another stay which we went ahead and booked although the dates are not ideal. We will try to move that reservation 3 weeks out and hopefully the credits can be moved as well.

Last edited:

critterchick

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just there (March 5-14) at WKORV. I was in the same situation and decided to cash in 18,000 options for $220 in resort credit. Note that my comments apply to WKORV and WKORVN — right now they are prohibiting WKORV/N guests from utilizing Nanea facilities and vice-versa. My advice would be to call a Nanea concierge and ask what's open and where you can use the credit, my understanding is that you will be limited to whatever is open at Nanea and won't be able to use WKORV/N stuff.

So one can't eat dinner at Pulehu (sp) if staying at Nanea? We'll have about 30k options left at the end of this year and I was hoping to cash most of them in for our upcoming stay in May. But I don't think we would be inclined to spend much of it at Nanea.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
So one can't eat dinner at Pulehu (sp) if staying at Nanea? We'll have about 30k options left at the end of this year and I was hoping to cash most of them in for our upcoming stay in May. But I don't think we would be inclined to spend much of it at Nanea.

Yes one can eat at Pulehu if staying at Nanea IF Pulehu is open and right now it is not. One cannot use the pool at North/South if staying at Nanea. During Covid cross resorts for using amenities is a no-no but you are allowed to cross resorts for F&B.

From the resorts' websites: Reciprocal use of The Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas amenities is prohibited. Thank you in advance for your understanding and support of our efforts to mitigate the impact of COVID-19 at the resort. However, Food and Beverage charges are available between The Westin Kā’anapali Ocean Resort Villas and The Westin Nanea Villas.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)

The two of us found it challenging to use $220 on our 9-night stay. The only place the credit was usable was the pool bar at the two resorts and the food-truck-poolside-restaurant (Paniola Grill or something like that) at WKORV-N. At the end of our stay, Auntie's Kitchen reopened with just a few grab-and-go type entrees and we were able to use some of the credits there. You could not redeem the resort credits at the general store off of the lobby, and there is/was no "sit down" type dining open at either resort. So at least during our stay, it was basically drinks at the pool and sort of take-out breakfast or lunch at Paniola's or Auntie's. And we aren't big drinkers, so at the end of our stay we still had something like $70 left.

Ordinarily I think you could also use the credit for spa services (now closed) or at Pelehu (also closed.) If you are big drinkers, it won't be hard to use credit sitting at the pool and drinking Mai Tais, if the weather cooperates, but we had a few days where the pool wasn't really an option because of weather. On the morning of our departure we used up the rest of the credit with a big breakfast at Auntie's and a VERY generous tip charged to the room (figured I'd rather see the rest of the resort credits go to the staff than simply lose it through non-use.)

One other note: since they don't provide any way for you to view your folio during the stay, the only way to know how much credit is left is to wait in line and ask at the front desk, or keep careful track of your spending. Also, the resort credit needs to be manually credited to your folio, and that didn't happen until I went to the front desk to enquire, I think maybe the concierge is supposed to do it when you tell them about the resort credit at the beginning of your stay, but mine didn't.

While we were there, I heard rumors that all of the restaurants were soon going to reopen, and so maybe that has happened. If so, that will dramatically increase the ways you can use the credit. We had expected to be able to use quite a bit of it by having dinner at one of the restaurants one night, but none of what was open was really a viable dinner option, and they closed really early, like 7 pm as I recall.

So long as you have a plan for how you're going to use them, the resort credit is a decent way to use options that you'd otherwise not be able to use. Have a great time at Nanea!
At WKORVN now and nothing new has opened since your stay.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sonomamon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOR North
Does anyone know if the credits could be used for anything that would be charged to the room? Items bought at the store on property, Maui Jim sunglasses purchased from towel shack, etc?
I have over 150k banked and restricted options leftover from last year's canceled vacation at KOR North, and I can't eat that much food or drink that many cocktails. Especially since I don't really love the restaurants on property. But if I can get some merch, maybe.
Also, does this include anything charged to the room at other Marriott/Westin/Sheraton properties?

Thank you.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Does anyone know if the credits could be used for anything that would be charged to the room? Items bought at the store on property, Maui Jim sunglasses purchased from towel shack, etc?
I have over 150k banked and restricted options leftover from last year's canceled vacation at KOR North, and I can't eat that much food or drink that many cocktails. Especially since I don't really love the restaurants on property. But if I can get some merch, maybe.
Also, does this include anything charged to the room at other Marriott/Westin/Sheraton properties?

Thank you.
See this other thread;

Sonomamon

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
KOR North
The resort credit applies to food and beverage only. Exact details are shown in your dashboard for each resort where this applies.
So you can't use the credits for anything that would be charged to the room? Items bought at the store on property, Maui Jim sunglasses purchased from towel shack, etc?
And did I see we can't use credit at other Marriott/Westin/Sheraton properties?

Thank you.

Oh, I finally found it on the dashboard. So it can be used at the market/general store on property at KORN. But I guess not for sunglasses. Well, I will have to consider using some of my SO for credit, I guess. Not going until fall.

Last edited: