• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble - Marriott Grand Residence Tahoe [Management Agreement in Jeopardy?]

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Management Agreement between Marriott (MORI) and this resort can be found in pages 25-40 of the attachment at @davidvel's Post #80 in this thread.

Where in it does it say that the Manager must "curb expenses" when directed to do so by the resort BOD? (It doesn't say that. In fact it says that the Manager is responsible for procuring and paying the bills for the line items at issue here.)

Where does it say that the Manager must conform the resort Budgets that it provides to the BOD to a metric that has nothing to do with the property itself, in this case a random CPI that the BOD has apparently set as the be-all and end-all for budgeting purposes? (It doesn't say that. *I think* Article 5.11 Merger appears to say that no other such agreement can be a part of the Management Agreement, but it won't come as a surprise if the lawyers here correct me on that.)

Without either of those stipulations, the BOD has no right to complain that it and the Owner Association are the wronged parties in this debacle.

(I'm sure you'll easily dismiss this as just another defense from a Marriott apologist who never sees wrong in what Marriott does or somebody who probably works for Marriott or is a timeshare salesperson or has friends in high Marriott places or whatever other nonsense ... but I'm not any of those things. What I am is a realist, and what I know is that if anytime the owners expect to take on the Marriott behemoth and win when it's the BOD that has been malignant, they'll be in a losing battle. Marriott might step in and provide partial relief to owners because it recognizes that the owners aren't at fault for the BOD's wrongdoing, which has occurred once or twice over the years, but Marriott won't lose. What I also see is that we're finally learning the reason why GR Tahoe has been TUGgers' favorite direct-purchase Bundle Package (Weeks/Fractionals and Abound Points) - and that's because the BOD's underfunding of the resort has been highly irresponsible.)

*Getting in to the nitty gritty in this thread keeps leading to more questions rather than answers. One more question I'd have as an owner: the BOD claims that resort funds were debited by Marriott for settlement of a class action suit and later credited back. Where in the Budgets for the years in question were those funds incorporated?

Preparing and approving a budget seems pointless if the manager is ultimately free to spend any amount they choose. Isn't the manager ultimately accountable to the board, not the other way around?

If, for example, a Marriott employee overspent their department budget without approval, they'd probably face severe consequences. Why not the same when it comes to our money?

MM9

Reaction score
I would like to contribute to this discussion. Since 2004, I have served as an elected board member of my Homeowners Association, also assuming the role of president for a two-year term. Our association oversees a sizable subdivision comprising over 400 homes, managing various amenities such as a Guard Gate, Country Club, Golf Course, Pool House, and Nature Preserve, among others, entailing significant expenses.

During a workshop focused on Community Governance, I found a particularly valuable insight, which revolved around the utilization of the CPI Index. This index, encompassing Consumer Staples & Housing, significantly correlates with the rate of General Inflation, rendering it a commendable metric for strategic planning. Notably, legal professionals, Community Management Companies, and Consultants frequently advocate for its adoption in planning due to its reliability.

I firmly believe that the criticisms directed at board members for employing this methodology are unjustified and misplaced. Utilizing the CPI Index is a widespread industry practice and serves as a dependable financial planning tool. While it is not the definitive solution for all considerations, its reliability warrants its inclusion in their planning.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Preparing and approving a budget seems pointless if the manager is ultimately free to spend any amount they choose. Isn't the manager ultimately accountable to the board, not the other way around?

If, for example, a Marriott employee overspent their department budget without approval, they'd probably face severe consequences. Why not the same when it comes to our money?
The question, though, is what constitutes "overspending." The Manager named in the Management Agreement procures the utilities/insurance/appointments/etc and has the right to be reimbursed by the resort for those costs. The Manager determines the "brand standard" (which is defined in several of the governing docs) and the items necessary to uphold it, and is entitled to reimbursement by the resort. The Manager is entitled to a percentage-based Management Fee that's non-negotiable and must be reimbursed by the resort. And on and on and on and on ...

I guess I've just never thought that the Marriott timeshare set-up means that Marriott as the Manager is accountable to the individual resort Boards in the truest sense. Certainly I'd complain - and be getting out ASAP - if I were seeing illegal activity or egregious overspending by the Manager at my resorts but I don't see that (and on rare occasions I have seen Marriott capitulate to BOD recommendations at my resorts.) As a given I think the Boards really have very little power over how the typical Marriott timeshare is funded because the various governing docs give Marriott so much power to begin with! The Owners have even less power than the Boards - and even then the little bit of power they do have is minimized because so few owners participate in the process!

Again, I don't consider myself a Marriott apologist for having this attitude. I bought timeshares for future vacations knowing that effectively the power is held by the name that's on the door. If I didn't like what I knew was conveyed to Marriott by that power structure, I wouldn't have bought Marriott timeshares. If I thought I had to fight to keep Marriott in line, I wouldn't want to vacation where the name is on the door.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
The question, though, is what constitutes "overspending." The Manager named in the Management Agreement procures the utilities/insurance/appointments/etc and has the right to be reimbursed by the resort for those costs. The Manager determines the "brand standard" (which is defined in several of the governing docs) and the items necessary to uphold it, and is entitled to reimbursement by the resort. The Manager is entitled to a percentage-based Management Fee that's non-negotiable and must be reimbursed by the resort. And on and on and on and on ...

I guess I've just never thought that the Marriott timeshare set-up means that Marriott as the Manager is accountable to the individual resort Boards in the truest sense. Certainly I'd complain - and be getting out ASAP - if I were seeing illegal activity or egregious overspending by the Manager at my resorts but I don't see that (and on rare occasions I have seen Marriott capitulate to BOD recommendations at my resorts.) As a given I think the Boards really have very little power over how the typical Marriott timeshare is funded because the various governing docs give Marriott so much power to begin with! The Owners have even less power than the Boards - and even then the little bit of power they do have is minimized because so few owners participate in the process!

Again, I don't consider myself a Marriott apologist for having this attitude. I bought timeshares for future vacations knowing that effectively the power is held by the name that's on the door. If I didn't like what I knew was conveyed to Marriott by that power structure, I wouldn't have bought Marriott timeshares. If I thought I had to fight to keep Marriott in line, I wouldn't want to vacation where the name is on the door.

Sue, a resort I cannot name in this forum, but managed by a Marriott subsidiary, has had 3 years of surpluses, 5.5 millions in 2023. Yet, the manager asked for even more money for 2024. It seems we always have to give them more money and it does not necessarily have to be related to the "brand standards".

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would like to contribute to this discussion. Since 2004, I have served as an elected board member of my Homeowners Association, also assuming the role of president for a two-year term. Our association oversees a sizable subdivision comprising over 400 homes, managing various amenities such as a Guard Gate, Country Club, Golf Course, Pool House, and Nature Preserve, among others, entailing significant expenses.

During a workshop focused on Community Governance, I found a particularly valuable insight, which revolved around the utilization of the CPI Index. This index, encompassing Consumer Staples & Housing, significantly correlates with the rate of General Inflation, rendering it a commendable metric for strategic planning. Notably, legal professionals, Community Management Companies, and Consultants frequently advocate for its adoption in planning due to its reliability.

I firmly believe that the criticisms directed at board members for employing this methodology are unjustified and misplaced. Utilizing the CPI Index is a widespread industry practice and serves as a dependable financial planning tool. While it is not the definitive solution for all considerations, its reliability warrants its inclusion in their planning.
I appreciate your point of view, thanks for participating.

But the very first post in this thread quotes the letter from Marriott to Owners in which it's stated: "Unfortunately, the 2023 financial shortfall is forecasted to be approximately $550,000, with the key drivers being related to utilities and insurance costs, as noted above. Without Board action to fund this shortfall, we have run out of funds to operate the resort as of December 1, 2023. As a result, the Management Company will be unable to pay any Association bills related to the operation of your resort."

In your position as a sitting member of a BOD, if you were confronted with this same situation would you insist on conforming to a CPI that results in the type of shortfall that's happening at this resort, or would you elect to fund these necessary line items on the submitted Budget?

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you share the correlation between the line items in the HOA budget and the line items that make up CPI? I've taken a look and just can't get it to match to any substantive level.
Food and Beverage - Not included in HOA maint fees
Energy - consumer and commercial energy prices can be wildly different
Housing - part match to cover maintenance aspects but not rental or equivalent
Transport - there will be HOA costs in this area for maintenance vehicles etc
Apparel - Not included in HOA maint fees
Medical Care - could be partly in employee costs
Recreation - Different to activity costs at resorts
Education and communications - May be part of employee costs
Other goods and services - would cover Audit, legal and management fee costs, not sure of the correlation of HOA to CPI

I don't see CPI providing guidance for:
Employee costs for front desk, maintenance and site support services
Additional landscaping and pest control that a timeshare incurs
Additional Housekeeping costs that a timeshare incurs
Taxation will use different rates/categories compared to consumer rates

All assistance appreciated as it is a topic that comes up across my ownerships

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sue, a resort I cannot name in this forum, but managed by a Marriott subsidiary, has had 3 years of surpluses, 5.5 millions in 2023. Yet, the manager asked for even more money for 2024. It seems we always have to give them more money and it does not necessarily have to be related to the "brand standards".
Again, this thread is too singularly important to drag in other timeshare companies and get this thread off-track. That situation has been mentioned elsewhere on TUG and we can leave it for the owners there. I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I know next to nothing, and don't care to learn more, about that company which is now affiliated with Marriott.

Last edited:

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score

While a CPI index may be useful guidance for community HOAs in typical urban communities, those are communities with residential properties. The HOA may operate a golf course and Club, but it's not employing staff to clean and maintain each of those 400 homes. The operations of those communities are different from resort properties, with hired operational management, rentals, significant number of employees, and revenues generated from hospitality services. The resort destinations also tend to have higher than an average suburban community utility costs and maintenance costs because it's a resort destination. Plus, residential HOAs do not budget for reserves to replace all of the furniture and fixtures of each home, and unless the homes are all connected, each homeowner is on their own to carry casualty insurance. Your HOA will only pay for the casualty coverage for the common area buildings, not the entire community. And, don't forget that in the type of community where you served on your HOA, your HOA is not responsible for maintaining the interiors and replacing the furniture and fixtures in all 400 homes. So, while using a CPI factor may offer guidance for budgeting a residential community's HOA with a gate guard and a country club and golf, etc., it isn't an apple to apple comparison between owner-occupied units and fractional ownership interests with a mixed use commercial area like exists at GRCLT.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Again, this thread is too singularly important to drag in other timeshare companies and get this thread off-track. That situation has been mentioned elsewhere on TUG and we can leave it for the owners there. I don't have an opinion one way or the other because I know next to nothing, and don't care to learn more, about that company which is now affiliated with Marriott.
The budget of a Marriott-owned and managed resort that is also part of Abound is directly relevant to any discussion of Marriott's budgeting practices.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The budget of a Marriott-owned and managed resort that is also part of Abound is directly relevant to any discussion of Marriott's budgeting practices.
But a resort which was developed by a completely different company than Marriott and has lately come under the Marriott umbrella and/or affiliated with Abound will have a completely different set of original governing docs from the ones with which I'm most familiar. The bulk of my comments in situations/threads like this involve reading the docs and trying to flesh out their meaning in the context of the raised issues, so you'll forgive me if I don't want to become familiar with the language of a company that means nothing to me and so choose not to post related to issues about which I'm completely ignorant.

Please, for the sake of GR Tahoe owners, don't drag all-encompassing complaints about Marriott into this important thread that already has its fair share. And note, that's literal. There's no doubt that Marriott has earned criticism here. This thread's singular focus must remain GR Tahoe.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Based on information in the letter from Marriott (Post #1) and the response from the GR Tahoe BOD (Post #56) the higher utility and insurance costs were incorporated into the 2023 and 2024 budgets that were submitted by Manager Marriott to the BOD, and the BOD elected instead to underfund the budgets. What happened after, the mechanics of it all, I mean, isn't quite clear from the letters but the BOD seems to be claiming that Manager Marriott then dipped into the coffers unbeknownst to the BOD to cover the shortfall, supposedly in violation of an "agreement" between the two that the budget would conform to a random CPI-metric, but possibly with legal authority if the legal experts who have chimed in here are correct.

Apparently it was in time to incorporate them into the budgets that were submitted by Manager Marriott to the GR Tahoe BOD, else they wouldn't be in the budgets, yes? (I suppose this brings up a new argument of whether Manager Marriott is beholden to some law/reg/"agreement" that stipulates they must notify the resort of such increases within a number of days of learning them, but if so I've never heard of such a thing.)

Good question to be asking both Manager Marriott and the GR Tahoe BOD because they both have a hand in the budget process; Manager Marriott when it compiles the expenses to submit the budget to the resort's BOD and the BOD when it meets to approve the budget. But what is it you mean by "balance the budget" exactly? Because if you mean that every GR Tahoe budget must conform to the random CPI that this BOD mandates, I think it's imperative on the BOD to furnish the document that they obtained when, as they claim, Manager Marriott agreed to that as the budget standard. Again, I've never heard of that kind of agreement being in place at any other Marriott timeshare.

As I said in Post #368 it confuses me in the context of the issues raised by this thread when people refer to Manager Marriott as a single person. In this context the reference is to the Marriott entity (MORI/MVC/MVW/whatever) that's named in the Management Agreement governing document, and not to the General Manager of the property who is a MVW employee, so it wouldn't logically follow that "one manager" is involved in a vendetta with one or more members of this resort BOD. If you're instead saying that the GM of the property has the vendetta, maybe, but the GM doesn't really have any power in the budget process or most other activities requiring Manager/BOD interaction. S/he's there to run the day-to-day operations of the resort, including the relatively recent task of overseeing and distributing the emails submitted to the BOD via the resort-specific unique mailboxes that have been mentioned in this thread.

A note: Marriott (again, whichever entity) enters into a Management Agreement with each resort separately, and these documents are one component of the Public Offering Statement which must be filed/permitted with the local/state/federal agencies that oversee timeshare laws. Many of the items in these documents are pretty much universal throughout the entire portfolio across all resorts but a few may be distinct to the individual resorts. I believe the budget process (i.e. Manager Marriott receives the bills, determines the schedule/products for upkeep/maintenance/improvements, and submits the budget to the BOD for consideration/approval) is one of the things that probably varies very little, if at all, across the portfolio. It's a "brand standard" for them, a control issue, and I can't imagine that they'd freely allow any single resort to deviate from it - not when all the rest of the resorts would be clamoring to follow suit. The reason I'm noting this is because I don't know for certain that it's what happens at GR Tahoe (although all indications in this thread are that it does,) so I'd appreciate being corrected if anyone can explain whatever different process is happening there.
Key Quotes from Post 56 (BOD Response letter)
'One of the primary duties of the Board is to approve an annual budget. Beginning approximately 15 years ago, the Board and Management Company agreed that a reasonable benchmark to aid the Board in its deliberations to approve a budget for the following year was the San Francisco Consumer Price Index for August. The Board would typically approve a budget with a percentage increase, year-over-year, that was higher than the San Francisco CPI, based on the Board’s reasoned judgment of what the anticipated basic expenses of the Association for the following year would be.'
'Although the Board values the Management Company’s input in its deliberations to approve a budget, the Board historically has approved a budget that is greater than the San Francisco CPI but less than the Management Company’s recommendation, again based on the Board’s reasoned judgment of the estimated basic expenses for the following year. We believe this prudent fiscal approach to budget deliberations and approval has served and continues to serve the Association and its owners very well.'
'In September of this year, we discovered in the minutia of the Association’s 2022 Tax Return prepared by the Management Company that indicated the Management Company had overspent the 2022 Budget by $238,000 without ever disclosing it to the Board and without ever obtaining the prior written consent of the Board, as required by law. The Management Company has ignored our request to reimburse these funds.'
'As to the 2024 Budget, in October of this year the Management Company presented a pro forma budget to the Board that intentionally omitted the San Francisco CPI benchmark and instead included an astonishing year-over-year increase of 19.7%. Even with increased utility and insurance costs, which the Board recognizes may be significant, the Board concluded that such a drastic increase was excessive and unnecessary to meet the anticipated basic expenses for 2024. Ultimately, the Board approved a 2024 Budget with a year-over-year increase of 4.8% (the San Francisco CPI was 3.4%). A similar variance between what the Management Company presented to the Board and what the Board ultimately approved occurred for 2023.

It appears that MVC started spending non-budgeted $238,00 funds in 2022 without Board approval, so this started a shortfall problem. Although the San Francisco CPI is used as a guideline, the BOD has approved previous budgets with higher, but reasonable increases. MVC was aware of the approved budget amounts and their proposal of a 20% increase for 2024 does seem to be unreasonable. A reasonable manager would review the individual expense items to identify items that could be reduced to accommodate nondiscretionary increases. I've worked for 50 years for major corporations, usually in a corporate function. In times of high inflation or reduced revenue, expenses (and staff) needed to be cut. I can't recall many situations where I was actually able to spend my $2+ million budget, so we made adjustments during the year accommodate changes to 'balance' the new budget. MVC proposed a ridiculous budget increase and there was no indication that they made any suggested modifications to the BOD, and the BOD also appears to have drawn a line in the sand.

When I used the term 'manager', I was referring to the responsible key person/people (Mike McCormick?) from MVC who managed the interactions with the BOD. I've worked with a few arrogant, control-freek jerks who were the key account lead who cared more about demonstrating their power than preserving a partnership' with clients (BOD) or suppliers (MVC).

My personal observation over the past several years since the spinoff is that MVC cares more about their investors than owners of the resorts. I think there will likely be more of these types of situations developing if the owner's needs aren't considered. Unfortunately, many BOD's are becoming more under the control of MVC management than owners of the individual resorts who are impacted by MF increases that greatly exceed inflation.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you share the correlation between the line items in the HOA budget and the line items that make up CPI? I've taken a look and just can't get it to match to any substantive level.
Food and Beverage - Not included in HOA maint fees
Energy - consumer and commercial energy prices can be wildly different
Housing - part match to cover maintenance aspects but not rental or equivalent
Transport - there will be HOA costs in this area for maintenance vehicles etc
Apparel - Not included in HOA maint fees
Medical Care - could be partly in employee costs
Recreation - Different to activity costs at resorts
Education and communications - May be part of employee costs
Other goods and services - would cover Audit, legal and management fee costs, not sure of the correlation of HOA to CPI

I don't see CPI providing guidance for:
Employee costs for front desk, maintenance and site support services
Additional landscaping and pest control that a timeshare incurs
Additional Housekeeping costs that a timeshare incurs
Taxation will use different rates/categories compared to consumer rates

All assistance appreciated as it is a topic that comes up across my ownerships
The CPI is an overall inflation indicator that incorporates the designated key components. I would expect that the inflation rates for the items you listed would be similar to the overall inflation rate, with a few exceptions (insurance, taxes) for some specific locations. Employee costs, landscaping, and housekeeping would likely be similar to the other key items on the list. As long is the CPI is determined at a relevant local level, it provides a good benchmark for the costs increases. I can understand a concern for using the San Francisco CPI for Tahoe. (Does anyone know the area of coverage for the SF CPI? Does it include the East Bay or Sacramento areas?)

Reactions: MM9

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
The CPI is an overall inflation indicator that incorporates the designated key components. I would expect that the inflation rates for the items you listed would be similar to the overall inflation rate, with a few exceptions (insurance, taxes) for some specific locations. Employee costs, landscaping, and housekeeping would likely be similar to the other key items on the list. As long is the CPI is determined at a relevant local level, it provides a good benchmark for the costs increases. I can understand a concern for using the San Francisco CPI for Tahoe. (Does anyone know the area of coverage for the SF CPI? Does it include the East Bay or Sacramento areas?)
The items I set out are the summary lines for SF CPI, care of bls.gov. I really can't see any decent correlation between the basket of items that make up CPI and the line items in an HOA budget.
As with all statistics, you can find a wide variety of compilations of elements. To get the "true" inflation impact on an HOA budget, you need to get into the individual cost lines, find the associated detail in the CPI stats, and then re-compile the HOA budget. If you then compare that with what the budget that Resort management put forward, you can tell where they are under or over-performing against CPI. If you don't do the bottom up analysis, you are using CPI to get a general "feel" for the direction and scale of uninfluenceable cost increase, which is OK if the BOD understands that is what it is and are able to work on that basis.
Commercial vs consumer energy prices are an area where I expect to see the largest difference as in may locations businesses haven't had the benefit of intervention from governments that consumers have. Heating for pools and spas won't be reflected in CPI, nor will the resort employee costs.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Unless there is a specific contractual term to the contrary in the management agreement, the board absolutely has 100% say over what the manager does with respect to the hoa. Though, I agree that the provisions and the management agreement allow MORI to pay certain necessary expenses such as utilities and insurance, and be reimbursed by the HOA for those costs.

However, if there was some row that developed between the board and Mori with respect to a disagreement over excess charges, the prudent thing would be for Mori to inform the board of the issue, and allow the board to act in amending the budget, either to increase the budget if there were funds to do so, or decrease remaining expenditures across other discretionary areas to make up for the shortfall.

The board seems to be alleging that Mori did not inform them, and simply spent over the approved amount on both the necessary items, and other items which theoretically could be reduced to make up for the shortfall.

As you know, I have been critical of the relationship between Marriott and the respective resorts, including the amount of control that Marriott exerts in place of the lawfully required boards of directors. These agreements certainly cede enormous amounts of authority and control from the board to marriott. For example, the reference to Brand standards seems to provide Marriott in unlimited and unfettered right to define what that means and spend according to its own definition. These types of authority transfers seem to be out of whack with at least California association law, and the control that is intended to be exercised by a board of directors over an hoa. I wouldn't be surprised if a court were to find that these types of arrangements somehow violate the spirit and letter of HOA law.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems as though you are relying heavily upon the wording from the BOD president's letter. Don't forget the wording from the management letter that started this post:

"Over the last two years, the budgets established by the Board, on an annual basis, for the Association have not adequately covered the expenses to operate the resort, with the shortfall largely driven by utility costs (gas and electricity) and property insurance premiums. The reality of property insurance costs in South Lake Tahoe after the 2021 Caldor Wildfire and the rate increases that have been enacted by the electricity company are creating cost pressures that are necessitating an increase in annual maintenance fees that exceed the increases typically experienced at your resort.

Throughout 2023, we have been working diligently with your Board regarding the needed funding to operate your resort to the standards you have grown to expect from Marriott Grand Residence Club. While the Board has several options to address the cash and budget shortfall for 2023, the Board has chosen not to act on these concerns..."

The BOD president's letter claims there was an agreement to limit increases, but that would have to be an agreement in writing added as an addendum to the management contract. The litigation the BOD filed in 2021 doesn't contain any addendum, and indeed confirms the existence of the 2001 agreement as written. Simply because the BOD president may believe that bills cannot be paid without BOD approval when they exceed the budget, that actually is contradicted by the express terms of the management contract. The manager is obligated to procure and maintain the casualty insurance for the property. That is done without BOD approval per the contract. See sections 3.9(a) and (b), and 4.4 of the contract. Quite telling is 4.2 of the contract, whereby the BOD is required to provide the manager with "sufficient funds to enable Manager to perform all of the acts required of Manager under the provisions of this Agreement". The Manager is obligated by the contract to keep the property operating, in good condition, well repaired and under paragraph 3.8, "Manager shall, at the Association's expense, perform all such other and further acts and things to be done in and about the Project as may be appropriate or necessary to the efficient operation thereof...". And, to top it off, the HOA contractually indemnifies the Manager at section 4.5. Sure, there could be some argument as to the scope of the indemnification provision, but the point is that the contract doesn't include anything that the BOD president is relying upon in making his statement. Thus, don't place undue reliance on his letter. The Management was apparently addressing cost overruns since the rate increases imposed post the 2021 Caldor Wildfire.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It seems as though you are relying heavily upon the wording from the BOD president's letter. Don't forget the wording from the management letter that started this post:

"Over the last two years, the budgets established by the Board, on an annual basis, for the Association have not adequately covered the expenses to operate the resort, with the shortfall largely driven by utility costs (gas and electricity) and property insurance premiums. The reality of property insurance costs in South Lake Tahoe after the 2021 Caldor Wildfire and the rate increases that have been enacted by the electricity company are creating cost pressures that are necessitating an increase in annual maintenance fees that exceed the increases typically experienced at your resort.

Throughout 2023, we have been working diligently with your Board regarding the needed funding to operate your resort to the standards you have grown to expect from Marriott Grand Residence Club. While the Board has several options to address the cash and budget shortfall for 2023, the Board has chosen not to act on these concerns..."
Each letter was obviously written to defend the position of the author: MVC and BOD. I don't totally believe either letter and am focusing on the details provided. MVC initially overspent in 2022 without notifying the BOD of this shortfall. Although I'm sure there were significant increases for insurance rates in the area, they could not justify an overall 20% increase in resort expenses. The 'budget shortfall' for the insurance cost represents only a small proportion of the overall operating budget. Did the management company provide any suggestions regarding what could be cut to be able to accommodate the increase for insurance costs? The BOD and MVC both have a responsibility to come to a resolution. There had to be a lot of additional expenses in the MVC proposed budget to cause a 20% increase.

If I contract a company to remodel my house and sign a contract for the specified services and cost, they are obligated to complete the project at the agreed upon cost unless I make changes to the scope. If the contractor came back to me with a 20% higher cost after completing the project, I would not pay it. If the cost of materials increased during the project, I would work with them to either modify the project or determine a fair incremental cost.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Each letter was obviously written to defend the position of the author: MVC and BOD. I don't totally believe either letter and am focusing on the details provided. MVC initially overspent in 2022 without notifying the BOD of this shortfall. Although I'm sure there were significant increases for insurance rates in the area, they could not justify an overall 20% increase in resort expenses. The 'budget shortfall' for the insurance cost represents only a small proportion of the overall operating budget. Did the management company provide any suggestions regarding what could be cut to be able to accommodate the increase for insurance costs? The BOD and MVC both have a responsibility to come to a resolution. There had to be a lot of additional expenses in the MVC proposed budget to cause a 20% increase.

If I contract a company to remodel my house and sign a contract for the specified services and cost, they are obligated to complete the project at the agreed upon cost unless I make changes to the scope. If the contractor came back to me with a 20% higher cost after completing the project, I would not pay it. If the cost of materials increased during the project, I would work with them to either modify the project or determine a fair incremental cost.
You are not taking into account the BOD meetings that were held during 2021, 2022 and 2023. Look at those July 2023 minutes. The manager clearly notified the BOD with financials. The quarterly reports at each and every meeting would include the income and expense statements, the bank account balances, etc. You cannot simply conclude that the info wasn't communicated when the minutes reflect the financials were provided. The BOD is required to function using the business judgment rule. As we have established, the BOD owes a fiduciary duty to the owners when making decisions that impact the association. Simply because the BOD president claims what he claims does not mean that any wrongful act occurred by management paying the bills. Who knows what the management may have suggested. It seems as though the management made suggestions that the BOD ignored. You can't get blood out of a turnip. Who knows if there were any categories that could be cut?

And, your reference to a construction contract is entirely off base when it comes to the operating costs. That analogy only applies to the management fee paid to the manager. That is the contract price. If the management ends up spending 500 more management hours managing the association than the management company may have budgeted internally to spend, then that "loss" is on management, because management cannot mid contract say, oh BTW, our management fee is now going to be 15% because the HOA is making it more difficult for us to manage and we aren't making any money at the 10% fee. You need to look at the contract. The management did not enter into a contract to secure utilities and insurance at a guaranteed cost; the management is charged with securing the coverage and the HOA is obligated to pay for that coverage. That is the express terms of the contract. Section 4.2.

Just a note on your construction contract analogy, if you hired a contractor on a labor and materials basis, as opposed to a fixed contract price, and the price of goods increases during the work, then you have no legal basis to say, hey, the price of those materials was 20% less 6 months ago, so give me that price even though the contractor didn't secure the materials at the time the price was lower. So, while the HOA can hold management to a 10% management fee, they can't hold management to an unreasonable budget for utilities and insurance when the market price is what it is and the HOA contractually agreed to pay those costs and to "furnish... sufficient... funds" to the manager to pay those bills.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
But a resort which was developed by a completely different company than Marriott and has lately come under the Marriott umbrella and/or affiliated with Abound will have a completely different set of original governing docs from the ones with which I'm most familiar. The bulk of my comments in situations/threads like this involve reading the docs and trying to flesh out their meaning in the context of the raised issues, so you'll forgive me if I don't want to become familiar with the language of a company that means nothing to me and so choose not to post related to issues about which I'm completely ignorant.

Please, for the sake of GR Tahoe owners, don't drag all-encompassing complaints about Marriott into this important thread that already has its fair share. And note, that's literal. There's no doubt that Marriott has earned criticism here. This thread's singular focus must remain GR Tahoe.

The example I provided is unrelated to the governing documents; instead, it pertains to a recurring pattern of requesting budget increases. It seems to be a demand irrespective of whether a resort is in a deficit or a surplus.

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
'One of the primary duties of the Board is to approve an annual budget. Beginning approximately 15 years ago, the Board and Management Company agreed that a reasonable benchmark to aid the Board in its deliberations to approve a budget for the following year was the San Francisco Consumer Price Index for August. The Board would typically approve a budget with a percentage increase, year-over-year, that was higher than the San Francisco CPI, based on the Board’s reasoned judgment of what the anticipated basic expenses of the Association for the following year would be.'
'Although the Board values the Management Company’s input in its deliberations to approve a budget, the Board historically has approved a budget that is greater than the San Francisco CPI but less than the Management Company’s recommendation, again based on the Board’s reasoned judgment of the estimated basic expenses for the following year. We believe this prudent fiscal approach to budget deliberations and approval has served and continues to serve the Association and its owners very well.'
'In September of this year, we discovered in the minutia of the Association’s 2022 Tax Return prepared by the Management Company that indicated the Management Company had overspent the 2022 Budget by $238,000 without ever disclosing it to the Board and without ever obtaining the prior written consent of the Board, as required by law. The Management Company has ignored our request to reimburse these funds.'
'As to the 2024 Budget, in October of this year the Management Company presented a pro forma budget to the Board that intentionally omitted the San Francisco CPI benchmark and instead included an astonishing year-over-year increase of 19.7%. Even with increased utility and insurance costs, which the Board recognizes may be significant, the Board concluded that such a drastic increase was excessive and unnecessary to meet the anticipated basic expenses for 2024. Ultimately, the Board approved a 2024 Budget with a year-over-year increase of 4.8% (the San Francisco CPI was 3.4%). A similar variance between what the Management Company presented to the Board and what the Board ultimately approved occurred for 2023.

It appears that MVC started spending non-budgeted $238,00 funds in 2022 without Board approval, so this started a shortfall problem. Although the San Francisco CPI is used as a guideline, the BOD has approved previous budgets with higher, but reasonable increases. MVC was aware of the approved budget amounts and their proposal of a 20% increase for 2024 does seem to be unreasonable. A reasonable manager would review the individual expense items to identify items that could be reduced to accommodate nondiscretionary increases. I've worked for 50 years for major corporations, usually in a corporate function. In times of high inflation or reduced revenue, expenses (and staff) needed to be cut. I can't recall many situations where I was actually able to spend my $2+ million budget, so we made adjustments during the year accommodate changes to 'balance' the new budget. MVC proposed a ridiculous budget increase and there was no indication that they made any suggested modifications to the BOD, and the BOD also appears to have drawn a line in the sand.

When I used the term 'manager', I was referring to the responsible key person/people (Mike McCormick?) from MVC who managed the interactions with the BOD. I've worked with a few arrogant, control-freek jerks who were the key account lead who cared more about demonstrating their power than preserving a partnership' with clients (BOD) or suppliers (MVC).

My personal observation over the past several years since the spinoff is that MVC cares more about their investors than owners of the resorts. I think there will likely be more of these types of situations developing if the owner's needs aren't considered. Unfortunately, many BOD's are becoming more under the control of MVC management than owners of the individual resorts who are impacted by MF increases that greatly exceed inflation.

Few commented that the BOD will not survive this situation. On the contrary, I think Mike McCormick may be the scapegoat if Marriott perceives things taking a negative turn. Attempting to remove the entire board is a detrimental idea for Marriott. Across all resorts, it is in their best interest to uphold the concept of an "independent" board. If they attempt to alter this board visibly, it essentially confirms the notion that other boards lack independence. Some here avoid discussing the manager's fiduciary duty, instead focusing on the board's duty. The notion that the manager is not accountable for literally everything becomes obsolete when there is clear evidence of a subordinate relationship.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
This entire thread has been fascinating, especially since I am a retired attorney. I guess we will just have to see what transpires, especially if litigation is commenced by the BOD or Marriott tries to cast the Grand Residences - Tahoe adrift (which would really be a shame since it is a great place to stay). In the meantime, I'm breaking out the popcorn!

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Few commented that the BOD will not survive this situation. On the contrary, I think Mike McCormick may be the scapegoat if Marriott perceives things taking a negative turn. Attempting to remove the entire board is a detrimental idea for Marriott. Across all resorts, it is in their best interest to uphold the concept of an "independent" board. If they attempt to alter this board visibly, it essentially confirms the notion that other boards lack independence. Some here avoid discussing the manager's fiduciary duty, instead focusing on the board's duty. The notion that the manager is not accountable for literally everything becomes obsolete when there is clear evidence of a subordinate relationship.
Our comments that the BOD will not survive is not because Marriott will remove them, they can't. If I were an owner at Grand Residence at Lake Tahoe, I would be voting them out.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The example I provided is unrelated to the governing documents; instead, it pertains to a recurring pattern of requesting budget increases. It seems to be a demand irrespective of whether a resort is in a deficit or a surplus.
There is NOTHING that a timeshare developer, manager, BOD or owner association does, can or can’t do, will or won’t do that’s “unrelated to the governing documents.” If you claim that Marriott is or isn’t doing something correctly, I go to the governing docs to find the language that either proves or disproves your allegation. It’s as simple as that. If you want to goad me into commenting on matters at resorts that aren’t supported by the typical Marriott documents with which I’m familiar, you’re not going to be successful.

Now for the last time, in this thread we’re remaining focused on GR Tahoe. If you have a problem with that, report this post and let the other mods/Admin have their say.

Last edited:

MM9

Reaction score
I appreciate your point of view, thanks for participating.

But the very first post in this thread quotes the letter from Marriott to Owners in which it's stated: "Unfortunately, the 2023 financial shortfall is forecasted to be approximately $550,000, with the key drivers being related to utilities and insurance costs, as noted above. Without Board action to fund this shortfall, we have run out of funds to operate the resort as of December 1, 2023. As a result, the Management Company will be unable to pay any Association bills related to the operation of your resort."

In your position as a sitting member of a BOD, if you were confronted with this same situation would you insist on conforming to a CPI that results in the type of shortfall that's happening at this resort, or would you elect to fund these necessary line items on the submitted Budget?

Upon reviewing the 2024 Budget alongside the Board's response, I find myself in a position of mixed perspectives, lacking sufficient information to provide a definitive assessment.

However, I wish to highlight certain observations. Firstly, the projected Insurance Costs for 2024 amounting to $145,125 strike me as a relatively modest figure within the broader budget context. Conversely, the allocation of $12,000 for Postage and Printing appears notably excessive in comparison.

Additionally, the Electric Company expenses stand at a considerable $832,000. Exploring operational adjustments, such as optimizing Laundry Operations during non-peak hours, might present an opportunity to curtail these expenses effectively.

Moreover, the budget allocation of $257,000 designated for Security appears, from my viewpoint, excessively high. I feel as though incorporating a staggered approach with additional surveillance might be a more cost-effective alternative.
In response to your question, if presented with a request to approve additional funds for the budget, specifically allocated towards electricity and insurance, I would unequivocally allocate funds. Nevertheless, I would still be committed to making a concerted effort to explore avenues for cost reduction in these areas and others.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is false. We have already established from an owner that the BOD was notified.
For some reason I don’t have July 22 minutes, but the October minutes state that the BOD is aware of a shortfall and refused to wire money to the manager.

The minutes I have for every meeting (including this most recent) state “subject to approval at the next board meeting”
We have also established, by the BOD letter, that they work with MVC to reach a compromise budget that is less than what MVC originally proposes.

The fact that the BOD, when presented with a 19.7% increase unilaterally decided that it should be 4.8% because last year "we negotiated SF CPI +1.4%" seems pretty dumb. The logical approach would be to start at 19.7% minus the same % below Marriott proposal from last year and then, if that is not satisfactory, propose service cuts (no activities, trash 1x per week, no soap, etc.) or alternatives to get to a lower number. In no instance should you set an arbitrary number, provide no guidance, and then refuse to provide the money when the legitimate expenses of the resort are paid by the management company. That is negligent and will result in the power getting cut off when MVC decides that they no longer want to fund the association.

Last edited:

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our comments that the BOD will not survive is not because Marriott will remove them, they can't. If I were an owner at Grand Residence at Lake Tahoe, I would be voting them out.
Marriott has various tools at its disposal, including a significant voting block. I understand that, if you were an owner, you would recommend vote them out even without all the necessary facts. However, other owners may prefer a more thorough understanding before deciding.

The selection and voting process will face increased scrutiny compared to before, and I am unsure how Marriott can guarantee a favorable outcome if they seek to maintain the appearance of independence we are discussing here. It is possible that a new board may not handle this much differently than the current one.