• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble - Marriott Grand Residence Tahoe [Management Agreement in Jeopardy?]

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is false. We have already established from an owner that the BOD was notified.

We have also established, by the BOD letter, that they work with MVC to reach a compromise budget that is less than what MVC originally proposes.

The fact that the BOD, when presented with a 19.7% increase unilaterally decided that it should be 4.8% because last year "we negotiated SF CPI +1.4%" seems pretty dumb. The logical approach would be to start at 19.7% minus the same % below Marriott proposal from last year and then, if that is not satisfactory, propose service cuts (no activities, trash 1x per week, no soap, etc.) or alternatives to get to a lower number. In no instance should you set an arbitrary number, provide no guidance, and then refuse to provide the money when the legitimate expenses of the resort are paid by the management company. That is negligent and will result in the power getting cut off when MVC decides that they no longer want to fund the association.
How is the BOD proposing a 4.8% increase any dumber than MVC asking for a 19.7% increase? Higher insurance costs don't require a 19.7% increase in the total MF's. I wish the BOD at some other MVC resorts would stand up to MVC when they are asking for increases far exceeding inflation while owners really have no power to challenge.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The problem is that continued shortfalls only increase the percentage increase next year. Not only do you have to pay back the past year's underbudget, but you also then have to come up with that same amount the next year. So a 5% shortfall last year could easily mean a need for a 10%+ increase this year without really getting anything new out of the budget.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
How is the BOD proposing a 4.8% increase any dumber than MVC asking for a 19.7% increase? Higher insurance costs don't require a 19.7% increase in the total MF's. I wish the BOD at some other MVC resorts would stand up to MVC when they are asking for increases far exceeding inflation while owners really have no power to challenge.
Well it is pretty arrogant to think that you know better than someone who has been managing commercial properties for 70 years, but I digress.

Once you drop the tin hat theories about how incompetent, greedy, and evil Marriott is it becomes pretty simple.

1. You need a spreadsheet with the number from last year and the number from this year.
2. You need the person from Marriott who approved the budget.
3. For every variance that is material the person from Marriott will know the reason for the change. If not, then I agree that they are incompetent.
4. For every variance that you don't like there are limited options based on the reason:

Mr. Marriott why did the trash budget go up 20%? Our contractor raised their price 20%.
Is there an alternative? - No. Done
Is there an alternative? - Yes. Did you bid the contract? - Yes, but our current vendor was low bid. Done
Did you bid the contract? - No. Why not? We just received the increase and will bid the contract in Q1. Done.
Did you bid the contract? - No. Why not? Corporate policy is to only bid contracts every 3 years. Can you make an exception for this? Yes. Done. Can you make an exception for this? No. Escalate to corporate.
Can you reduce service from 3x to 2x per week? No. Corporate policy requires 3x per week.
Can you make an exception for this? No. This is a brand requirement. Done.

Why did front desk charge increase by 25%? We have to pay $20/hr to staff vs. $15/hr from 18 months ago.
Is there an alternative? We have hired part time staff for busy periods but receive no resumes at lower salaries.
Can you cut staff? Yes, we can cut staff but service level will be reduced. Corporate policy requires front desk to be staffed 24 hours with 2+ people during day shifts.
Can you go below the minimum if we accept longer wait times? No. This is a brand requirement.

Etc.

2 reasonably intelligent adults can get this done in an hour or two. There are only so many material categories and only so many reasons. Everything is a matter of service level, available competition, time, or brand requirements. The BOD would quickly know if MVC was failing in their responsibility or if these are the results of limited supply in a resort area, something that they are working on that will take some time, or brand requirements that they cannot change.

The fact of the letter tells me that BOD is not being reasonable and has imposed an arbitrary standard (CPI + 1.4%) without understanding why the budget increased 19.7%. If they knew what they were doing they would say these are the things that MVC refused to consider, or they would propose reductions to the owners for services that the owners may not want - activities, coffee in the room, soap, mid week housekeeping, etc. This is not rocket science and the drama just distracts from what needs to be done.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm sure this thread is fascinating but is there a tldr version? :)

There should be a “frivolous” report option on TUG.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our comments that the BOD will not survive is not because Marriott will remove them, they can't. If I were an owner at Grand Residence at Lake Tahoe, I would be voting them out.

It wouldn't be MVW-as-manager removing the board.

It would be MVW-holding-voting-power-for-units-owned-by-the-trust that would be doing the removing.

Somewhere earlier in the thread I believe someone said the resort is 30%+ owned by the trust? If that's the case I think it's very likely that MVW will use those votes to replace the board over time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It wouldn't be MVW-as-manager removing the board.

It would be MVW-holding-voting-power-for-units-owned-by-the-trust that would be doing the removing.

Somewhere earlier in the thread I believe someone said the resort is 30%+ owned by the trust? If that's the case I think it's very likely that MVW will use those votes to replace the board over time.
... and my point is if that is the case, it would have been done. This problem that we are now reading about has been years in the making.

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
... and my point is if that is the case, it would have been done. This problem that we are now reading about has been years in the making.

Maybe. There is quite a lot of marketing value to MVW (and maybe even some legal protection) in the idea that the HOA boards are independent and provide oversight. I think it's unlikely they'd want to publicly replace an entire board en-masse.

But would they vote the trust for friendlier candidates as positions come up? I think they will, because this is now worse PR and they won't want to give up the contract to fix the problem.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Do we know the term limits for board members? How often do they come up for vote. I suspect they aren't all up for vote at the same time.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Hindsite

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish the BOD at some other MVC resorts would stand up to MVC when they are asking for increases far exceeding inflation while owners really have no power to challenge.
I'm certain they do and don't expect to hear about it aired in public.
As @bazzap has said many times, the work done by Owner boards in the European and Asian resorts has resulted in some excellent outcomes for owners. Not always at all resorts, but it is there and known about. I'm sure there are other examples in the US and Caribbean that are likewise, but the drama gets cause when it doesn't happen, not when it does.
My presumption is that the process outlined in post 454 goes on, both during the budget preparation my MVC and at the owner BOD meetings, its basic business practice and the BOD owners that I am aware of, have more than enough capability to do that. I base my presumption on discussions with the management teams and BOD members, where they seem to be able to answer my questions on what and why. I've yet to come up with a miraculous solution to thorny cost drivers that I find in my maint fees, so am not surprised when the BOD don't either.

Last edited:

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's dumber because based on the limited information provided in the Board's letter, it was based on nothing more than a metric unrelated to resort management and putting their fingers in the sky to feel the wind. As many others have pointed out, my primary problem is that the Board has not pointed to any line items that can be reasonably adjusted to account for where the budget has fat to be trimmed. I fully expect that if the Board concluded the MVC proposed budget was inflated and approved a significantly lower budget, they would have at their hands a litany of areas where savings could be identified. However, they have not articulated anything in their letter to owners.

The problem is that continued shortfalls only increase the percentage increase next year. Not only do you have to pay back the past year's underbudget, but you also then have to come up with that same amount the next year. So a 5% shortfall last year could easily mean a need for a 10%+ increase this year without really getting anything new out of the budget.
Exactly. Looking at the single (2024) year proposed increase of 19.7% as outrageous, completely ignores that there have already been two years of budget shortfalls. This compounding effect means 2024 must both absorb previous shortfalls and be increased to ensure no future shortfalls.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
Do we know the term limits for board members? How often do they come up for vote. I suspect they aren't all up for vote at the same time.
A quick google search shows a 2-year term for 2 BOD positions at a time. This is from 2018.

Term limits for BOD positions was the expectation I had when I asked earlier in the thread about the BOD make-up, specifically if/how many of the members had been seated during all of the legal entanglements between the BOD and Marriot (looking for patterns,) but according to longtime owner @TimGolobic (Post #110) there aren't the Marriott-typical term limits for the GR Tahoe BOD positions:

"... Aside from the most recently elected member, all of the current Board members have served multiple terms, there are not term limits. Marriott has one seat they control, and the original developer has a permanent seat. As owners, we value the history and institutional knowledge that those repeatedly re-elected officers brings. Marriott wants high turnover to make that historical knowledge go away. And they have tried to un-seat long-time members during elections, once successfully, but not since. ..."

I'd put a lot more stock into a statement in a required document (notice of annual meeting and BOD elections) from the Manager that confirms the existence of term limits than I would in a message posted on a bulletin board from an owner that denies them, but if there are term limits then how is it that at least one BOD member appears to have been seated long enough to likely spearhead what appears to be repeated legal challenges by the BOD against the Manager? No doubt the BOD make-up is clearly defined elsewhere in the resort's governing docs but at this point we only have access to the Management Agreement.

igopogo

TUG Member
Reaction score
but according to longtime owner @TimGolobic (Post #110)
Tim is more than just a longtime owner, as anyone who owns at GRC knows, and I would take his knowledge to the bank. He’s also not someone to speak unless he has something of value to say.

I am trying to remain somewhat neutral in my own opinion, but it’s very frustrating that I’ve sent a request to the board for some very specific information about financials and I have heard nothing back. All I get is a message that the board has received my message. The absence of facts overall is fueling this fire which seems to be favoring MVC. If the manager’s goal is to see a change on the BOD, this is just advancing that goal.

Board, if you are listening (I can’t imagine you are not), we need to hear from you with details and unassailable facts.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Few commented that the BOD will not survive this situation. On the contrary, I think Mike McCormick may be the scapegoat if Marriott perceives things taking a negative turn. Attempting to remove the entire board is a detrimental idea for Marriott. Across all resorts, it is in their best interest to uphold the concept of an "independent" board. If they attempt to alter this board visibly, it essentially confirms the notion that other boards lack independence. Some here avoid discussing the manager's fiduciary duty, instead focusing on the board's duty. The notion that the manager is not accountable for literally everything becomes obsolete when there is clear evidence of a subordinate relationship.
Do you mean Tom McCormack, the VP whose signature is on the letter that was sent to owners informing them of the dire situation at their resort?

Don't make the mistake of thinking that his letter doesn't state exactly the company's position and the information the company wants to convey to the owners. He's not a scapegoat, he's not acting independently - he's an officer of the company tasked with notifying owners of a situation in exactly the manner that the governing docs require owners to be notified in this situation. That letter isn't an idle threat, it wasn't sent out as notice that Marriott is going to frivolously sacrifice an officer of the company if the GR Tahoe BOD doesn't get its ducks in a row.

Longtime Marriott owners here on TUG should recognize that this isn't the first time seeing Marriott exert its power when driven to the extremes by legal issues involving resort budgets. It's not the first time that the Management Agreement between Marriott and the resort is in danger of being severed in accordance with the process delineated in the governing documents, and if it is severed here it won't be the first time for that, either. Marriott's timeshare business, whether as a segment of Marriott, Int'l or as the separated Marriott Vacations Worldwide, has survived similar situations in the past and will survive this one, too, regardless of the outcome. It's the owners who suffer, so if the owners have strong opinions either way about Marriott being the property manager for their resort, they need to let Marriott know those opinions directly.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tim is more than just a longtime owner, as anyone who owns at GRC knows, and I would take his knowledge to the bank. He’s also not someone to speak unless he has something of value to say.

I am trying to remain somewhat neutral in my own opinion, but it’s very frustrating that I’ve sent a request to the board for some very specific information about financials and I have heard nothing back. All I get is a message that the board has received my message. The absence of facts overall is fueling this fire which seems to be favoring MVC. If the manager’s goal is to see a change on the BOD, this is just advancing that goal.

Board, if you are listening (I can’t imagine you are not), we need to hear from you with details and unassailable facts.
I'm not in a position to question Tim either (and didn't question his knowledge until the document in Post #462 surfaced,) but there needs to be an explanation for why his understanding of the BOD term limits appears to conflict with the information that was put in writing in the 2018 annual meeting packet. Doesn't there?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well it is pretty arrogant to think that you know better than someone who has been managing commercial properties for 70 years, but I digress.

Once you drop the tin hat theories about how incompetent, greedy, and evil Marriott is it becomes pretty simple.

1. You need a spreadsheet with the number from last year and the number from this year.
3. For every variance that is material the person from Marriott will know the reason for the change. If not, then I agree that they are incompetent.
4. For every variance that you don't like there are limited options based on the reason:

Etc.

2 reasonably intelligent adults can get this done in an hour or two. There are only so many material categories and only so many reasons. Everything is a matter of service level, available competition, time, or brand requirements. The BOD would quickly know if MVC was failing in their responsibility or if these are the results of limited supply in a resort area, something that they are working on that will take some time, or brand requirements that they cannot change.

The fact of the letter tells me that BOD is not being reasonable and has imposed an arbitrary standard (CPI + 1.4%) without understanding why the budget increased 19.7%. If they knew what they were doing they would say these are the things that MVC refused to consider, or they would propose reductions to the owners for services that the owners may not want - activities, coffee in the room, soap, mid week housekeeping, etc. This is not rocket science and the drama just distracts from what needs to be done.
I see no evidence that the BOD or MVC actually went through this process. There is a big difference between the 5% and 20% proposals and I don't believe that objective individuals can't work together to come up with a reasonable compromise. Having read posts from both sides, (including post 110), nobody is without fault in this matter. I own at seven MVC resorts (since 1984) and review the details of each budget, although some resorts (Oceana Palms and Ocean Point) make it difficult to compare costs per unit to the previous year. MVC management today is not the same as it was when the Marriott family was involved. I've noticed that resort BOD's with strong owner representation appear to be doing a better job of managing MF increases than those that are heavily trust owned. Keep in mind that MVC makes more money at resorts with higher increases. I also think that the management company should pay any expenses incurred due to their mismanagement (such as NCV lawsuit and roof problems at Ocean Point).

I've worked for major corporations that changed their philosophy from 'providing the best product at a fair price' to 'maximize short term profits even if it hurts customers (owners) and/or employees'. These companies gradually lost customers and profits declined. I see this trend occurring at MVC and I may be forced to get rid of my portfolio if this continues.

Last edited:

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score

Mr. Marriott why did the trash budget go up 20%? Our contractor raised their price 20%.
Is there an alternative? - No. Done
Is there an alternative? - Yes. Did you bid the contract? - Yes, but our current vendor was low bid. Done
Did you bid the contract? - No. Why not? We just received the increase and will bid the contract in Q1. Done.
Did you bid the contract? - No. Why not? Corporate policy is to only bid contracts every 3 years. Can you make an exception for this? Yes. Done. Can you make an exception for this? No. Escalate to corporate.
Can you reduce service from 3x to 2x per week? No. Corporate policy requires 3x per week.
Can you make an exception for this? No. This is a brand requirement. Done.

Why did front desk charge increase by 25%? We have to pay $20/hr to staff vs. $15/hr from 18 months ago.
Is there an alternative? We have hired part time staff for busy periods but receive no resumes at lower salaries.
Can you cut staff? Yes, we can cut staff but service level will be reduced. Corporate policy requires front desk to be staffed 24 hours with 2+ people during day shifts.
Can you go below the minimum if we accept longer wait times? No. This is a brand requirement.

Etc.

Your description outlines a process that appears robotic and bureaucratic, focusing on checkboxes rather than delving into the true distinction between an adept manager capable of achieving more with fewer resources and a subpar one who might meet all the specified criteria but consistently exceeds the budget without yielding improved results.

TimGolobic

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Residence Club
I'm not in a position to question Tim either (and didn't question his knowledge until the document in Post #462 surfaced,) but there needs to be an explanation for why his understanding of the BOD term limits appears to conflict with the information that was put in writing in the 2018 annual meeting packet. Doesn't there?
Here I am, not speaking unless something of value to say (thanks igopogo). I've only been skimming over the last several pages of comments as they seem to have gone off the rails [content deleted by Moderator]. A Board member serves a 2-year term, but nowhere does it say there is a limit on the number of terms an owner can serve, ie: a term limit. There has been no violation by any of our incredibly dedicated and under-appreciated Board members that have served for multiple terms.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you mean Tom McCormack, the VP whose signature is on the letter that was sent to owners informing them of the dire situation at their resort?

Don't make the mistake of thinking that his letter doesn't state exactly the company's position and the information the company wants to convey to the owners. He's not a scapegoat, he's not acting independently - he's an officer of the company tasked with notifying owners of a situation in exactly the manner that the governing docs require owners to be notified in this situation. That letter isn't an idle threat, it wasn't sent out as notice that Marriott is going to frivolously sacrifice an officer of the company if the GR Tahoe BOD doesn't get its ducks in a row.

Longtime Marriott owners here on TUG should recognize that this isn't the first time seeing Marriott exert its power when driven to the extremes by legal issues involving resort budgets. It's not the first time that the Management Agreement between Marriott and the resort is in danger of being severed in accordance with the process delineated in the governing documents, and if it is severed here it won't be the first time for that, either. Marriott's timeshare business, whether as a segment of Marriott, Int'l or as the separated Marriott Vacations Worldwide, has survived similar situations in the past and will survive this one, too, regardless of the outcome. It's the owners who suffer, so if the owners have strong opinions either way about Marriott being the property manager for their resort, they need to let Marriott know those opinions directly.
The question is, what power does Marriott actually have? How many of the severed former Marriott timeshares were not developed (and the governing docs written) by Marriott? We are fighting in a fog of ignorance.

Let's say Marriott dumps GRC. Is that the "end of the world" for the owners? Maybe the severed GRC might find a better deal with another timeshare company, one that has experience with managing non-owned timeshares, such as HGVC?

Food for thought. . .

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here I am, not speaking unless something of value to say (thanks igopogo). I've only been skimming over the last several pages of comments as they seem to have gone off the rails [content deleted by Moderator]. A Board member serves a 2-year term, but nowhere does it say there is a limit on the number of terms an owner can serve, ie: a term limit. There has been no violation by any of our incredibly dedicated and under-appreciated Board members that have served for multiple terms.
I hit Like on your post and then removed it, because while I appreciate that you're contributing here, I don't have all the information that you apparently do so I can't say that I agree with all of your points.

One thing that stands out though, as Moderator of this forum, is your particular criticism of a TUG poster. If you have objections or disagreements with the content of a post, dissecting the message is allowed by the TUG Rules but shooting the messenger is not. I've edited your post accordingly.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The question is, what power does Marriott actually have? How many of the severed former Marriott timeshares were not developed (and the governing docs written) by Marriott? We are fighting in a fog of ignorance.

Let's say Marriott dumps GRC. Is that the "end of the world" for the owners? Maybe the severed GRC might find a better deal with another timeshare company, one that has experience with managing non-owned timeshares, such as HGVC?

Food for thought. . .
I really don't understand what difference it makes whether Marriott developed a resort from the ground up or acquired it from another entity or took over the management of it from another entity. Much as all of the ownership entitlements and restrictions that attach to a single interval (Week or Points or Fractionals) transfer to all succeeding owners upon resale/gift/family transfer unless the original docs or transfer docs specify differently, the same is true (and delineated as such) if a succeeding Manager takes over and a new Management Agreement is contracted. Any succeeding Manager would, therefore, be subject to the same t&c's as in the original Master Deed, Timeshare Declaration, etc docs or similar ones unless otherwise specified, but the management t&c's would become whatever is delineated in the new Management Agreement. We have that document and it's not substantially different from any that exist at other Marriott timeshares, so why is there a question of whether Marriott is entitled to enforce their typical management "style" that's indicated in the existing, current Management Agreement?

As for whether it's a good or bad thing if this situation results in GR Tahoe changing property managers, that's a matter of the individual owner's individual opinions. No doubt some want Marriott to be gone and others want Marriott to stay. For me I wouldn't say it's good or bad - it is what it is. I also wouldn't say that it's reasonable to expect a Marriott-managed property to be an outlier with the name on the door but the management style/norms substantially different from any other property with the name on the door.

I'm not a GR Tahoe owner. The interest for me here is the process which I always find interesting and engage because it'll help me if ever my resorts end up in similar situations. Whatever happens here I hope that the owners can continue to get out of their timeshares what they want. :)

Last edited:

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see no evidence that the BOD or MVC actually went through this process. There is a big difference between the 5% and 20% proposals and I don't believe that objective individuals can't work together to come up with a reasonable compromise. Having read posts from both sides, (including post 110), nobody is without fault in this matter. I own at seven MVC resorts (since 1984) and review the details of each budget, although some resorts (Oceana Palms and Ocean Point) make it difficult to compare costs per unit to the previous year. MVC management today is not the same as it was when the Marriott family was involved. I've noticed that resort BOD's with strong owner representation appear to be doing a better job of managing MF increases than those that are heavily trust owned. Keep in mind that MVC makes more money at resorts with higher increases. I also think that the management company should pay any expenses incurred due to their mismanagement (such as NCV lawsuit and roof problems at Ocean Point).

I've worked for major corporations that changed their philosophy from 'providing the best product at a fair price' to 'maximize short term profits even if it hurts customers (owners) and/or employees'. These companies gradually lost customers and profits declined. I see this trend occurring at MVC and I may be forced to get rid of my portfolio if this continues.
Sure. Or it could just be a combination of 40+ feet of snow blowing the removal budget, followed by devastating wildfires skyrocketing insurance premiums, a $20 minimum wage requirement for fast food workers increasing salaries, regulated utility rates increasing combined with a summer heat dome/winter polar vortex, HVAC parts quadrupling, paying for previous years deficit in current budget, etc. You can't just put your head in the sand and say CPI nah nah nah nah.

Look, we all know Marriott is higher priced. They are not Motel 6, no frills clean dry bed. When I call for something it shows up at my villa in 15 minutes. When I need an engineer they show up within the hour. That level of service is expensive. Would I be willing to wait 3 hrs, 24 hrs, 72 hrs? Maybe depending on the savings, but the reality is since I only own one week out of 50 x # of units I prefer the service. My vacation time is extremely valuable and I don't want to wait around for somebody or wait 45 minutes to check in. If you don't like that value proposition then you probably should get rid of your portfolio. It is only going to get worse.

GR is more unique due to the fractional aspect. Owners have more skin in the game, so have more incentive to care. Unfortunately, some things are out of MVC control and trying to restrict things related to "brand standards" is a no go because it directly impacts MVC brand perception and their revenue model tied to having higher costs (standards). You can't change mother nature or CA minimum wage law, but you can change your management company and the service you receive. If the owners truly want those savings then they will change, it has happened before.