• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Trouble - Marriott Grand Residence Tahoe [Management Agreement in Jeopardy?]

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Not sure. I have only been to one HGVC resort - Tuscany Village in Orlando. It seemed nice enough, probably comparable to Grande Vista although I did not have kids then so not sure of the activities.

Grande Vista Operating - $1,254
Tuscany Village Operating - $1,026

So 22% higher for Marriott. No idea if they are like for like or if there are significant differences. Maybe there is something to learn from how they manage that could help a Marriott BOD. My point being that $228 is a nit to me and being Marriott Lifetime Titanium I much prefer the way I am treated at Marriot Resorts and II options sans Marriott to RCI options sans HGVC. If they charge for services that I get included in my Marriott Club Dues then net/net there is not much financial difference in the end. I would never vote to change to HGVC.
I can't speak to Marriott or give numbers directly, but I'd say that to most people commenting here, 22% is a significant difference. If it wasn't I imagine the BOD could just agree to a 22% maintenance fee rise at Tahoe and make up the shortfall right? Your issue here is you are looking at it as a fixed value like $228, but I bet for the Residence Tahoe people, it'd be thousands and thousands of dollars due to the large fractional shares. Heck, from what I know, your comparison is 1 BR, many 2BR Marriotts I've seen are MF around $3,000 vs $1,500 at HGVC properties. But this is me looking at the thousand foot level of MF to points and suite type, and not specific level of amenities or luxury. Sadly I have no exposure to II so can't even begin to compare vs RCI. I'm not convinced it's enough of a difference to pick up some unaffiliated timeshare to get access to II. (and Marriott is out of my pricerange)

WBP

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I understand that the BOD is claiming that Marriott violated the rules by attaining fractionals via nonjudicial foreclosures and then "conveying title to Marriott affiliates" (quote paraphrased from the BOD's response letter,) which aren't we all assuming means that Marriott conveyed them to the Abound Trust?

And you're entirely correct, without the details of how those transactions occurred it's impossible for us to verify any and all speculation - but I'm not looking to verify anything, just trying to think why after all this time of GR Tahoe intervals being conveyed to that trust, the BOD is challenging only these particular "at least six (and perhaps more than ten)" few intervals.

I wonder who the ARCHITECT is of this "Snatch and Grab" plan (of GRC Fractions at Lake Tahoe) at MVW's Corporate Headquarters? This plan had to be conceived by someone, and I wonder who that someone is.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I wonder who the ARCHITECT is of this "Snatch and Grab" plan (of GRC Fractions at Lake Tahoe) at MVW's Corporate Headquarters? This plan had to be conceived by someone, and I wonder who that someone is.
For what it's worth, the complete sets of documents comprising the Public Offering Statement for my two resorts comprehensively delineate the process by which delinquent intervals can be re-attained by Marriott whether through judicial or non-judicial foreclosures and/or other means. GR Tahoe is a fractionals-based property as opposed to a Weeks-based property so there are probably major and minor differences in the documents, but it'd shock me into silence (again!) to learn that what you call a "Snatch and Grab" plan that's particular to GR Tahoe hasn't been in effect since the property's declaration and/or any subsequent superseding docs.

As for the original "ARCHITECT" of whatever the plans might be, we'd have to look at all the laws/regs pertaining to timeshares that were written by local, state and national agents because the timeshare companies (all of them, not just Marriott) are required to be in compliance with them in order to gain approval/permits based on the docs that require filing with the agencies.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't know if we have enough details behind the shares or interests to fully understand or cast a judgement on why they were conveyed back to MORI vs the HOA. Were there also unpaid loan balances? Was there a repurchase agreement between the HOA and MORI for reacquired inventory like they have at many other resorts? I don't think we know these details and I doubt we will ever find out.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
The thought was to compare like resorts in the same area. It doesn't really matter which area.

That’s fine, but this thread is about Tahoe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
That’s fine, but this thread is about Tahoe.

I get it, but the post you were replying to didn't seem to be directly referring to Tahoe. You know how threads get off track...

Also, comparing GRCLT to a regular timeshare may also not be a fair comparison given the different type of usage. I think overall the PP was just wanting to know why MVC maintenance fee increases are so out of line with their competitors.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting myself back on topic.

Like Horizons was marketed to more middle class families I believe the Grand Residence was marketed as an exclusive luxury alternative to multi/decamillionaires who did not want to sink $3 - $5M into a vacation home. I assume most owners are in at ~ $500k plus fees. Any trading was to be done with other Residences and mixing at the resort was to be with people of the same social class. This idea got folded into the Abound program instead of what was promised.

I can see why people would be upset when the new system gives you "options" at less luxurious resorts and a low per point cost that allows you to enter into a moderately profitable points rental business if you want to waste your time with that. At the same time all the other owners are now allowed into your "house" and most did not pay a fraction of what you did. Over the years the ongoing cost of MF has been going up a lot because that is how Marriott protects their brand and the general economy. You might not see much value in activities like a wine tasting class if you have 500 bottles in your cellar, etc. If you want to use as a vacation home and don't value the other Abound properties, potential rental income, and incoming traders then you have little to lose and can probably gain a 10-20% reduction in MF by getting a different management company. If I had to guess, this is the root issue between the BOD and MVC.

Which is a long way to say that if you put a big value on the MVC affiliation and are an owner at the GR then you need to let your voice be known to the BOD. Regardless of how Trust ownership issues get worked out being in a constant state of head butting and lawsuits is no fun for anyone. I don't see MVC backing down on how they operate so the BOD is not going to get the reductions they want which will lead to the next step in the game of chicken. Think this was the same dynamic that led to some of the Ritz fractionals leaving the system.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't know if we have enough details behind the shares or interests to fully understand or cast a judgement on why they were conveyed back to MORI vs the HOA. Were there also unpaid loan balances? Was there a repurchase agreement between the HOA and MORI for reacquired inventory like they have at many other resorts? I don't think we know these details and I doubt we will ever find out.
If there is a repurchase agreement for GRCLT similar to the ones at many of the resorts (and the one dated 1/1/2015 for the Trust), the audited financial statements for the GRCLT property may have a reference to it; of course, only a member can request the AFS from the association.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score

Like Horizons was marketed to more middle class families I believe the Grand Residence was marketed as an exclusive luxury alternative to multi/decamillionaires who did not want to sink $3 - $5M into a vacation home. I assume most owners are in at ~ $500k plus fees. Any trading was to be done with other Residences and mixing at the resort was to be with people of the same social class. This idea got folded into the Abound program instead of what was promised.

I can see why people would be upset when the new system gives you "options" at less luxurious resorts and a low per point cost that allows you to enter into a moderately profitable points rental business if you want to waste your time with that. At the same time all the other owners are now allowed into your "house" and most did not pay a fraction of what you did. Over the years the ongoing cost of MF has been going up a lot because that is how Marriott protects their brand and the general economy. You might not see much value in activities like a wine tasting class if you have 500 bottles in your cellar, etc. If you want to use as a vacation home and don't value the other Abound properties, potential rental income, and incoming traders then you have little to lose and can probably gain a 10-20% reduction in MF by getting a different management company. If I had to guess, this is the root issue between the BOD and MVC.

Which is a long way to say that if you put a big value on the MVC affiliation and are an owner at the GR then you need to let your voice be known to the BOD. Regardless of how Trust ownership issues get worked out being in a constant state of head butting and lawsuits is no fun for anyone. I don't see MVC backing down on how they operate so the BOD is not going to get the reductions they want which will lead to the next step in the game of chicken. Think this was the same dynamic that led to some of the Ritz fractionals leaving the system.
Which is what I said in my post #332.

The real question is - how many current owners put a big value in Marriott affiliation? The people here are timeshare interested (Timeshare Users Group, remember) but that doesn't mean that the majority of owners are timeshare centric.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I get it, but the post you were replying to didn't seem to be directly referring to Tahoe. You know how threads get off track...

Also, comparing GRCLT to a regular timeshare may also not be a fair comparison given the different type of usage. I think overall the PP was just wanting to know why MVC maintenance fee increases are so out of line with their competitors.

Yes, so to be as close to GR as possible choose timeshares in that same locale. I emphasize this since earlier there were posts re the impact regional costs have on MF, so comparing Florida resorts to Tahoe don’t make much sense to me.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I assume most owners are in at ~ $500k plus fees.

Direct purchases? FWIW, I see a 13 week 1 bed / 2 bath unit for sale right now for $75,000. I wonder how many current owners bought direct vs resale.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Direct purchases? FWIW, I see a 13 week 1 bed / 2 bath unit for sale right now for $75,000. I wonder how many current owners bought direct vs resale.

It's like saying I paid $250K to get to Chairman's Club. Yeah... NO!

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score

I'm going to say that I think you're pretty far off here. At least in our case, I can't speak for others, but I don't suspect we're atypical. I'll just give you our story as an example.

We bought a quarter share at the end of 2009. Retail value from Marriott then, before they had a destination club points system, was in the range of 140-180k or so for a 1 bdr 1 bath, which is what we bought in the end. We paid substantially less buying resale, and were able to get a unit (deeded and assigned) with a high floor and view that we preferred. We know years in advance which weeks we have our unit assigned, and every 4 years you get both Christmas and New Years week, which we usually rent out. Our weeks shift to one week later than the current year each subsequent year, because one of the quartershare owners of your unit gets those two weeks on a regularly rotating basis, which pushes you back a week the following year until you get those 2 weeks again every 4 years.

At the time of our purchase, we were considering buying a condo in South Lake. They were in the range of about 200-300k for what we were looking at - still fairly basic quality then. We decided we didn't want to pay that much, since we were still working then and couldn't get up there that often, and weren't thinking about renting it much. Also, Airbnb was not on our radar then. Just the cost of mortgage and maintenance in winter turned us away from buying a condo there.

We thought we would go mostly to Tahoe regardless of what we bought, since we really liked it there. We can drive up easily from the Bay Area. We weren't real knowledgeable about trading yet, but we knew it might become a possibility.

We did not see the Grand Residence as a super luxury place like a Ritz in Aspen or Vail, but as a really nice Marriott quality timeshare, very similar to Timber Lodge but smaller and more personal. We had rented for short stays at Timber Lodge and Grand Residence before we bought at Grand Residence. We did not feel like we were buying in with a bunch of millionaires either.

As to the points system, they didn't bring us in when they started, because they had to develop it differently for the fractionals. It took a few years. When they made it available, they gave us the ability to buy in on a grandfathered basis. At first I was skeptical, because I thought we either had to keep our weeks ownership, or switch fully to points with no going back. When I came to understand that we could treat each week separately, and use, rent, trade, or enroll it however we chose each year, it made a lot of sense. Since then, we plan out the usage fully in advance, so we can make reservations at the 13 month mark for points if necessary.

So having spent a LOT of time now at Tahoe over the years (retired 10 years now), we added a lot of points trading, often for less than a week, to our GRC usage and II trades. We string together trips mostly in the SW and Hawaii, and between trading and points usage, and some other timeshares we own, it works very well.

I have no problem with a lot more people using our units now under the points system, other than short term users who may not respect the property unit as much as we owners do, since they're assigned and deeded to us. But I haven't really noticed a lot of extra wear and tear on our unit so far from the advent of the points system. Maybe it increases our housekeeping fees though.

While we don't use the planned events or even the facilities like the pool or gym much at all, I see why they're an attraction to other visitors. But I don't see that they need to be as at high a level as at places that seem to attract more families with lots of kids, like Timber Lodge or perhaps Newport Coast, and which aren't fractionals with dedicated owners.

Bottom line, I don't compare us to Ritz owners or the like, and we do greatly value the points system as well as the somewhat more personal touch at Grand Residence - which is less about exclusivity or getting spoiled by extra service than about a more relaxed, personal approach with acknowledgement of fractional owners as part of the mix. So, I would like to see the BOD and Management work out a compromise and remain as Marriott, unless MVC starts going really overboard with their fee demands.

wuv pooh

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm going to say that I think you're pretty far off here. At least in our case, I can't speak for others, but I don't suspect we're atypical. I'll just give you our story as an example.

Bottom line, I don't compare us to Ritz owners or the like, and we do greatly value the points system as well as the somewhat more personal touch at Grand Residence - which is less about exclusivity or getting spoiled by extra service than about a more relaxed, personal approach with acknowledgement of fractional owners as part of the mix. So, I would like to see the BOD and Management work out a compromise and remain as Marriott, unless MVC starts going really overboard with their fee demands.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe I am confusing with the Ritz or you bought at a great time, right after the real estate collapse. If you remember the runup to 2008 everyone was going to be rich due to real estate rising and Marriott mined a lot of home equity. People were paying $50k - $75k for a single week at places like Marco Island and Oceana Palms and up to $100k per week for holiday fixed weeks in Hawaii before incentives. Crazy times and I assumed Residence was similar or higher. $10k per week would have been a great deal for 13 weeks, even better resale, when the conversion to points occurred.

Reactions: MM9

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Maybe I am confusing with the Ritz or you bought at a great time, right after the real estate collapse. If you remember the runup to 2008 everyone was going to be rich due to real estate rising and Marriott mined a lot of home equity. People were paying $50k - $75k for a single week at places like Marco Island and Oceana Palms and up to $100k per week for holiday fixed weeks in Hawaii before incentives. Crazy times and I assumed Residence was similar or higher. $10k per week would have been a great deal for 13 weeks, even better resale, when the conversion to points occurred.
It actually dropped lower after we bought resale, but we're satisfied with what we got.

I have never understood paying 75-100k for a week of anything!

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I have stayed at both the Grand Residence and Timber Lodge and there's not a significant difference in quality between the 2.

Except… the studio at GR has a full kitchen!

vikingsholm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have stayed at both the Grand Residence and Timber Lodge and there's not a significant difference in quality between the 2.

Generally agree, but the GRC has full size owners' lockers in a private area plus a key access lounge with kitchen, TV, pool table and large balcony for owners, which I'm not sure if they've opened up for all people staying there with DC points or still is owners access only.

daviator

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKORVN, WDW, Westin FLEX, Marriott's MOC, Abound (Trust) Points
Many insurance companies pulled out of insuring homes in Tahoe area due to fire risks. Tahoe homeowners' insurance rates have gone through the roof. San Francisco homes do not face the same fire risk.
True, but commercial property insurance policy premiums in San Francisco are up 50-100% over what they were a year ago. And many of the largest insurers have left the state in the past few months. The insurance situation is a mess statewide. I am personally dealing with these increases in San Francisco and know firsthand that they are real, despite the fact that the fire risk in San Francisco is essentially unchanged for decades.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
True, but commercial property insurance policy premiums in San Francisco are up 50-100% over what they were a year ago. And many of the largest insurers have left the state in the past few months. The insurance situation is a mess statewide. I am personally dealing with these increases in San Francisco and know firsthand that they are real, despite the fact that the fire risk in San Francisco is essentially unchanged for decades.
I get that the specifics of the resort's costs are worth discussing but for me, if I were an owner at GR Tahoe, my displeasure (putting it mildly) with the board would be the simple fact that Manager Marriott presented the BOD with a budget that included utility (electric, etc) and insurance charges as billed and the BOD took it upon themselves to severely underfund those line items (whether based on a random CPI or any other metric of their choosing.) Seriously? The BOD took a chance that Marriott would NOT step in to cover for their recklessness so that the property wouldn't go dark and cold and unprotected in the event of loss?!?!

For me, THAT blatant underfunding would be the dealbreaker and I'd vote out every sitting member of the BOD at the earliest opportunity. Only after they were all gone would I contact the new board to discuss their approach to lowering the costs in other budget areas. And if the majority ownership didn't agree and kept the current members onboard, then it would be me getting gone.

Last edited:

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I get that the specifics of the resort's costs are worth discussing but for me, if I were an owner at GR Tahoe, my displeasure (putting it mildly) with the board would be the simple fact that Manager Marriott presented the BOD with a budget that included utility (electric, etc) and insurance charges as billed and the BOD took it upon themselves to severely underfund those line items (whether based on a random CPI or any other metric of their choosing.) Seriously? The BOD took a chance that Marriott would NOT step in to cover for their recklessness so that the property wouldn't go dark and cold and unprotected in the event of loss?!?!

For me, THAT blatant underfunding would be the dealbreaker and I'd vote out every sitting member of the BOD at the earliest opportunity. Only after they were all gone would I contact the new board to discuss their approach to lowering the costs in other budget areas. And if the majority ownership didn't agree and kept the current members onboard, then it would be me getting gone.
We really don't know the details regarding this issue. I would like to know the following information:
  1. Why weren't the higher rates incorporated into the budget planning process?
  2. When did MVC learn of the significant increases and when did they inform the BOD?
  3. Did anyone consider cutting the budget in other areas in order to balance the budget?
It appears that both sides are at least partially to blame regarding this situation. When I read between the lines, there also seems to be a vendetta/ power struggle between at least one MVC manager and BOD member.

LeslieDet

TUG Member
Reaction score

Such good points you are making. If I were an owner there I'd also want to understand exactly what is meant by wording in the July 2023 minutes, which are a reference to the 2023 budget, where it is stated "as risk was incorporated into the 2023 budget". Perhaps I missed the discussion in this long feed, but if the manager presented the BOD with a proposed 2023 budget that the BOD refused to approve, and instead reduced the amounts for these categories, then that adds additional instances of BOD recklessness.

"A variance in Gas expense in the amount of($58,150), due to rate increases that exceeded the budget expectations as risk was incorporated into the 2023 budget for the expense
Overage in Insurance in the amount of ($30,256), due to policy premium increases exceeding the budget as risk was incorporated into the 2023 budget for this expense"

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We really don't know the details regarding this issue. I would like to know the following information:
Based on information in the letter from Marriott (Post #1) and the response from the GR Tahoe BOD (Post #56) the higher utility and insurance costs were incorporated into the 2023 and 2024 budgets that were submitted by Manager Marriott to the BOD, and the BOD elected instead to underfund the budgets. What happened after, the mechanics of it all, I mean, isn't quite clear from the letters but the BOD seems to be claiming that Manager Marriott then dipped into the coffers unbeknownst to the BOD to cover the shortfall, supposedly in violation of an "agreement" between the two that the budget would conform to a random CPI-metric, but possibly with legal authority if the legal experts who have chimed in here are correct.
  1. When did MVC learn of the significant increases and when did they inform the BOD?
Apparently it was in time to incorporate them into the budgets that were submitted by Manager Marriott to the GR Tahoe BOD, else they wouldn't be in the budgets, yes? (I suppose this brings up a new argument of whether Manager Marriott is beholden to some law/reg/"agreement" that stipulates they must notify the resort of such increases within a number of days of learning them, but if so I've never heard of such a thing.)
  1. Did anyone consider cutting the budget in other areas in order to balance the budget?
Good question to be asking both Manager Marriott and the GR Tahoe BOD because they both have a hand in the budget process; Manager Marriott when it compiles the expenses to submit the budget to the resort's BOD and the BOD when it meets to approve the budget. But what is it you mean by "balance the budget" exactly? Because if you mean that every GR Tahoe budget must conform to the random CPI that this BOD mandates, I think it's imperative on the BOD to furnish the document that they obtained when, as they claim, Manager Marriott agreed to that as the budget standard. Again, I've never heard of that kind of agreement being in place at any other Marriott timeshare.
It appears that both sides are at least partially to blame regarding this situation. When I read between the lines, there also seems to be a vendetta/ power struggle between at least one MVC manager and BOD member.
As I said in Post #368 it confuses me in the context of the issues raised by this thread when people refer to Manager Marriott as a single person. In this context the reference is to the Marriott entity (MORI/MVC/MVW/whatever) that's named in the Management Agreement governing document, and not to the General Manager of the property who is a MVW employee, so it wouldn't logically follow that "one manager" is involved in a vendetta with one or more members of this resort BOD. If you're instead saying that the GM of the property has the vendetta, maybe, but the GM doesn't really have any power in the budget process or most other activities requiring Manager/BOD interaction. S/he's there to run the day-to-day operations of the resort, including the relatively recent task of overseeing and distributing the emails submitted to the BOD via the resort-specific unique mailboxes that have been mentioned in this thread.

A note: Marriott (again, whichever entity) enters into a Management Agreement with each resort separately, and these documents are one component of the Public Offering Statement which must be filed/permitted with the local/state/federal agencies that oversee timeshare laws. Many of the items in these documents are pretty much universal throughout the entire portfolio across all resorts but a few may be distinct to the individual resorts. I believe the budget process (i.e. Manager Marriott receives the bills, determines the schedule/products for upkeep/maintenance/improvements, and submits the budget to the BOD for consideration/approval) is one of the things that probably varies very little, if at all, across the portfolio. It's a "brand standard" for them, a control issue, and I can't imagine that they'd freely allow any single resort to deviate from it - not when all the rest of the resorts would be clamoring to follow suit. The reason I'm noting this is because I don't know for certain that it's what happens at GR Tahoe (although all indications in this thread are that it does,) so I'd appreciate being corrected if anyone can explain whatever different process is happening there.

Last edited:

timsi

TUG Member
Reaction score
  2. When did MVC learn of the significant increases and when did they inform the BOD?
  3. Did anyone consider cutting the budget in other areas in order to balance the budget?

My thoughts exactly. There is no evidence that the management has made any attempt to curb expenses elsewhere, as requested by the board. Without that, complaining that they don't have the money to cover the increase in utility costs is like a couple claiming they have to go into debt because grocery costs have risen while planning a trip to Paris at the same time.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My thoughts exactly. There is no evidence that the management has made any attempt to curb expenses elsewhere, as requested by the board. Without that, complaining that they don't have the money to cover the increase in utility costs is like a couple claiming they have to go into debt because grocery costs have risen while planning a trip to Paris at the same time.
The Management Agreement between Marriott (MORI) and this resort can be found in pages 25-40 of the attachment at @davidvel's Post #80 in this thread.

Where in it does it say that the Manager must "curb expenses" when directed to do so by the resort BOD? (It doesn't say that. In fact it says that the Manager is responsible for procuring and paying the bills for the line items at issue here.)

Where does it say that the Manager may or must conform the resort Budgets that it provides to the BOD to a metric that has nothing to do with the property itself, in this case a random CPI that the BOD has apparently set as the be-all and end-all for budgeting purposes? (It doesn't say that. *I think* Article 5.11 Merger appears to say that no other such agreement can be a part of the Management Agreement, but it won't come as a surprise if the lawyers here correct me on that.)

Without either of those stipulations, the BOD has no right to complain that it is the wronged party in this debacle.

(I'm sure you'll easily dismiss this as just another defense from a Marriott apologist who never sees wrong in what Marriott does or somebody who probably works for Marriott or is a timeshare salesperson or has friends in high Marriott places or whatever other nonsense ... but I'm not any of those things. What I am is a realist, and what I know is that if anytime the owners expect to take on the Marriott behemoth and win when it's the BOD that has been malignant, they'll be in a losing battle. Marriott might step in and provide partial relief to owners because it recognizes that the owners aren't at fault for the BOD's wrongdoing, which has occurred once or twice over the years, but it will cost the owners and Marriott won't lose. What I also see is that we're finally learning the reason why GR Tahoe has been TUGgers' favorite direct-purchase Bundle Package (Weeks/Fractionals and Abound Points) - and that's because the BOD's underfunding of the resort has been highly irresponsible.)

*Getting in to the nitty gritty in this thread keeps leading to more questions rather than answers. One more question I'd have as an owner: the BOD claims that resort funds were debited by Marriott for settlement of a class action suit and later credited back. Where in the Budgets for the years in question were those funds incorporated?

Last edited: