• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rookie - First Purchase, How did I do?

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought I just saw a free vv at parkway offered here.

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for bearing with me. Usually it helps my learning process to play "devils advocate", and look at excuses from all angles. My plan is to Rescind. With TUG families help it seems I am able to 1) Save $9500 by paying $1 (best case) upfront - [BTW, What is the full transfer of ownership cost? I'm assuming every time I purchase a TS on the TUG/eBay market I have to pay this, unless original owner pays cost.] 2) Get the option to purchase additional points for under $0.01/point. 3) Use eBay/TUG Classifieds to purchase converted property points at optimal MF/Point ratio while securing my membership with an additional RCI fee [$99 or $129/annually?]. 4) Gracefully pulling out within Florida's 10-day rescinding period - escaping dreaded letter which would legally bind my family to document.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Another one advising to rescind.

You stated that you have 4 more days to rescind. Was this based on what the contract says? I ask because states have different rescission laws. For example, Nevada is 5 days. It also matters where you signed the timeshare purchase contract, not where the resort is located. If you purchased in Florida 10 days would be correct. That would be 10 calendar days. Today and tomorrow count towards those days so if you mail it on Monday you would be down to two days remaining. Hoping you weren’t counting as business days.

Last edited:

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Thank you for bearing with me. Usually it helps my learning process to play "devils advocate", and look at excuses from all angles. My plan is to Rescind. With TUG families help it seems I am able to 1) Save $9500 by paying $1 (best case) upfront - [BTW, What is the full transfer of ownership cost? I'm assuming every time I purchase a TS on the TUG/eBay market I have to pay this, unless original owner pays cost.] 2) Get the option to purchase additional points for under $0.01/point. 3) Use eBay/TUG Classifieds to purchase converted property points at optimal MF/Point ratio while securing my membership with an additional RCI fee [$99 or $129/annually?]. 4) Gracefully pulling out within Florida's 10-day rescinding period - escaping dreaded letter which would legally bind my family to document.

Be careful with eBay. Make sure you research the seller before you bid. There are some very good sellers and those that are scammers as well. If you are patient, you will be able to get a free Vaction Village unit, many of which the sellers have already agreed to pay the transfer fees.

Recind now and research before you take on a timeshare. They are very easy to get into, but if life happens and you have to rid yourself of it, a smart acquisition will allow you to do so if you have to. This community is your greatest asset for purchasing and using timeshares. Use it to its fullest and you will be a happy ti

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only

Some answers.

1. Transfer costs can be had for around 150.00. Sometimes that cost is paid by the seller. I have seen cases with Vacation Village where you pay a dollar on eBay and they pay all transfer costs, give you a free rci membership for a year and a 200 dollar visa gift card to boot.

2. Depends. Sometimes extra points can be purchased sometimes not.

3. Yes, if you want

4. Good to rescind ASAP. DO IT TODAY. SEND IT CERTIFIED, RETURN RECEIPT. POST OFFICE OUTLETS ARE STILL OPEN.

If you really want to be the devils advocate, pay us 9 k and we will find you a free timeshare with double the points. Just kidding

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
If it was me and I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a TS at all. I'd rent. There are no upfront costs. Often you can rent a TS unit for less than the annual MF of the unit, and there are no exit costs if you suffer a reversal of fortune, or just want to use the money for something other than a vacation. But since you asked, many times the transfer cost is borne by the seller, but if you choose, there are TUGgers who do it professionally at a reasonable couple hundred bucks. If you buy a TS that's in RCI Points, you can acquire extra points for (iirc) 2 cents each, but usually you just borrow them from yourself- Unused points carry over to the next use year, and you can 'borrow' from future use years as long as the MF and membership is pre-paid.

Get that letter written.

Jim

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
If it was me and I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't buy a TS at all. I'd rent. There ate no upfront costs. Often you can rent a TS unit for less than the annual MF of the unit, and there are no exit costs if you suffer a reversal of fortune, or just want to use the money for something other than a vacation. But since you asked, many times the transfer cost is borne by the seller, but if you choose, there are TUGgers who do it professionally at a reasonable couple hundred bucks. If you buy a TS that's in RCI Points, you can acquire extra points for (iirc) 2 cents each, but usually you just borrow them from yourself- Unused points carry over to the next use year, and you can 'borrow' from future use years as long as the MF and membership is pre-paid.

Get that letter written.

Jim

I rent only Jim. I used to have timeshares but found I can rent cheaper at all resorts and not have the headache of ownership that binds me to a resort.

I still respect those here that do own. Different strokes, different folks.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Oh, and when you send in your rescind letter, be sure to keep a copy. Also fax it directly to them. The fax number should be in the instructions they give you to rescind. State in you letter that rescind was sent both fax and certified letter in your letter to them.

Follow their instructions on how to rescind to the letter. Remember, they want you enslaved and hate rescinding because they have lost money and control.

Everyone here is giving you excellent advice. They know what they are talking about.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Just for comparison, look on tug for bargain rentals. The maximum charge is 800 a week for last minute. I have used these with great success. I have stayed at Marriotts in Maui, Hilton’s, Hyatt’s at a fraction of the cost of maintenance. I have met wonderful people kind enough to rent it to me. Their generosity has been appreciated.

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another one advising to rescind.

You stated that you have 4 more days to rescind. Was this based on what the contract says? I ask because states have different rescission laws. For example, Nevada is 5 days. It also matters where you signed the timeshare purchase contract, not where the resort is located. If you purchased in Florida 10 days would be correct. That would be 10 calendar days. Today and tomorrow count towards those days so if you mail it on Monday you would be down to two days remaining. Hoping you weren’t counting as business days.
Yes, Thank you. Florida is the State of Timeshare. I purchased on Monday 5/13 I have until 5/23 Thursday.

Rachman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I rent only Jim. I used to have timeshares but found I can rent cheaper at all resorts and not have the headache of ownership that binds me to a resort.

I still respect those here that do own. Different strokes, different folks.

Interesting. Our desire is to go on quarterly getaways for 2-3 days max at a time. I also know I will be addicted to putting together RCI points as it gives a nice dopamine rush when allocating vacations. We may use a week every other year or so. We are in our 40's with a 4 year old and will try to take vacation whenever we can. Is it easy to pick up points (point per penny?)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting. Our desire is to go on quarterly getaways for 2-3 days max at a time. I also know I will be addicted to putting together RCI points as it gives a nice dopamine rush when allocating vacations. We may use a week every other year or so. We are in our 40's with a 4 year old and will try to take vacation whenever we can. Is it easy to pick up points (point per penny?)
The problem with this is that those exchange fees (remember them?) will kill you. There is a fee EVERY time you exchange. The bargain- when it works- is Last Calls. Those are cash paid 7 night vacations- no exchange fees and move-in is within 45 days. They don't care if you just stay for 2-3 days. It's the same price- under $300 depending on size of the unit. Now, don't be expecting Disney or Hilton quality. Odds of finding an ocean view in Summer or a ski-in/out during January school break are slim to none. Expect beach vacays in Winter and Ski resorts in mud season. But heck, a resort always has indoor activities, and the price is right.

Linden

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Smoky Mountains, Club Wyndham Access, Quarter House New Orleans
Looks like Sumday Vacations has some starting at .99 cents. With a 250.00 gift card.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The problem with this is that those exchange fees (remember them?) will kill you. There is a fee EVERY time you exchange. The bargain- when it works- is Last Calls. Those are cash paid 7 night vacations- no exchange fees and move-in is within 45 days. They don't care if you just stay for 2-3 days. It's the same price- under $300 depending on size of the unit. Now, don't be expecting Disney or Hilton quality. Odds of finding an ocean view in Summer or a ski-in/out during January school break are slim to none. Expect beach vacays in Winter and Ski resorts in mud season. But heck, a resort always has indoor activities, and the price is right.

You are bang on there and RCI fees jump a lot yearly. Frankly, they are out of control. That was the MAIN reason I got out of timeshare ownership. The yearly maintenance fees are just the start. Add 300 plus exchange fee, membership fees, fees to combine weeks/points, fees to carry over, it’s just not worth it anymore. And yes, getting the place you want is brutal too. Usually, you get Vegas easy but almost everywhere else desirable by season is not available.

Here are their eye gouging fee schedule.

https://www.rci.com/pre-rci-en_US/help/forms-and-fees/wow-member-fees-us.page

Take a look at fees just to bank your points. If you don’t, your points are gone, they got a free trade and you lost your maintenance fee (through them taking your points because you didn’t extend by paying the extension fee)

Last edited:

montygz

TUG Member
Reaction score

For what you want to do, RCI is not a great value. I've found the best value is booking a week at a time, not for short stays. Also, you get your best resorts when you plan months ahead, not go "whenever."

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
For what you want to do, RCI is not a great value. I've found the best value is booking a week at a time, not for short stays. Also, you get your best resorts when you plan months ahead, not go "whenever."

That’s right...or in my case, I just rent. I can choose where I want to go and when. I can compare accommodations and choose the best deal. I find competition for the renter works in my favour. I have no commitments and no regular fees. I just works for me.

That said, I respect those who choose to own and see value in that.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
We are a family of 7 w/ children under 8. Love long weekend getaways as well. We rent or exchange. To help control cost, purchased drive to locations, EOYE and traders. Will primarily travel off season while children are young.
Take a little risk and do some planning.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
We are a family of 7 w/ children under 8. Love long weekend getaways as well. We rent or exchange. To help control cost, purchased drive to locations, EOYE and traders. Will primarily travel off season while children are young.
Take a little risk and do some planning.

Thats a good way to save with kids. I must say... timeshares do work well for larger groups. In my case, my kids are grown so all i need is something for my partner and I. So we can go hotel room. Many times I try to get a private timeshare rental as the cost is good and more room is nice.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
My biggest thing is I feel in control renting. I can choose what i want and not feel victim to uncontrolled maintenance fees and RCI exchange fees. I dont like to feel i have to vacation to use up expiring points. Or, have someone tell me the fees are going up and i must comply because i agreed to it in writing. To me, thats not freedom but obligation and requirement on their terms that they can change anytime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
What can one do to get rid of TS which has been owned for several years?
We want to get rid of our deeded timeshares at VVP. The resort said they have no deed back program.
They say we must pay $1500 per unit plus other costs!!!
How did you get rid of a VVP TS at minimal cost and without incurring penalties?
Can it just be sold to a willing buyer?

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
What can one do to get rid of TS which has been owned for several years?
We want to get rid of our deeded timeshares at VVP. The resort said they have no deed back program.
They say we must pay $1500 per unit plus other costs!!!
How did you get rid of a VVP TS at minimal cost and without incurring penalties?
Can it just be sold to a willing buyer?

Who says that you must pay $1500 per unit plus other costs?

There is a sticky at the top of this thread that provides instructions on how to give sell your timeshare (see link below). The process of giving away your timeshare is relatively easy but you still have to have a willing buyer ready to take it. If you find a buyer there are closing companies recommended here on TUG that can handle the whole process for you for a minimal fee.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-your-timeshare-and-avoid-getting-scammed.44/

Reaction score
Who says that you must pay $1500 per unit plus other costs?

There is a sticky at the top of this thread that provides instructions on how to give sell your timeshare (see link below). The process of giving away your timeshare is relatively easy but you still have to have a willing buyer ready to take it. If you find a buyer there are closing companies recommended here on TUG that can handle the whole process for you for a minimal fee.

https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-your-timeshare-and-avoid-getting-scammed.44/
Thank you very much RX8!