• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Refund for Coronavirus cancellations?

Wyndhamgirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Avon PR
I have rented several rooms at Disney on eBay for the next several weeks. Due to the Coronavirus several are requesting refunds. How would you handle these requests? i understand Disney is closed however Bonnet Creek is open and it’s past the cancellation date so I would be at a loss. Please help me figure out what to do.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have rented several rooms at Disney on eBay for the next several weeks. Due to the Coronavirus several are requesting refunds. How would you handle these requests? i understand Disney is closed however Bonnet Creek is open and it’s past the cancellation date so I would be at a loss. Please help me figure out what to do.
This is a tough one. Same question was hot topic on a FB page here in Palm Springs area after BNP Paribas was cancelled. Responses varied in a wide manner, reminded me of the childhood game of 'hot potato ' meaning, who is left holding the loss. Bottom line is, can you afford to be kind? Share the loss 50/50?

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
Looks like they're relaxing the cancellation deadlines until May 15th, points and reservation transactions returned if cancelled 24 hours prior to arrival:

Our Commitment to Your Travel Plans

Understanding that your travel plans may change as this situation evolves, we are adjusting our existing cancellation policy to reflect additional flexibility. We encourage you to follow the guidance of public health authorities, and your own medical providers, to make travel decisions that are best for you and your family.

• If you wish to cancel reservations for arrival prior to May 15, 2020, you may do so online or via phone up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled arrival
  • Within 72 hours of receiving your cancellation request:

• We will put your vacation points or credits back in your account
    • Our friends and family help make challenging situations easier to navigate. As a valued member of our family, you can count on us to be here for you, ready to welcome you for your next vacation.
Our friends and family help make challenging situations easier to navigate. As a valued member of our family, you can count on us to be here for you, ready to welcome you for your next vacation.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What Wyndham is now doing in this time of uncertainty shows commitment to their customer owners. Nice move Wyndham, nice move!

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!

I personally am not refunding my reservation through Redweek. I rely on them to sustain my ownership and pay my maintenance fees, since I own more points then I use. You are under no obligation to refund the reservation.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
I personally am not refunding my reservation through Redweek. I rely on them to sustain my ownership and pay my maintenance fees, since I own more points then I use. You are under no obligation to refund the reservation.

This is a good reason to never rent from an owner! The only fair way to approach this is a 50/50 split. I’m disappointed that some owners think the renter is the only one who should lose money in this case. Please don’t give me legalese to justify your stance. I understand that. I’m simply talking about doing the right thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Well are you not just the reason people hate those of us with extra points. I would never hold a sick person to their obligation if it wasn’t going to cost me my points. You could book and rent out later in the year.

Baby Jane

Reaction score
Does anyone know when the notification was put on the website? I cancelled this weekend in Nashville yesterday but didn’t know about the new policy. I went to look on the website and my reservation isn’t in current past or cancelled? I guess I will wait the 72 hours and see if I get mine back or not

Ron2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek Resort and Wyndham CWA
You should offer to rebook at a later date using the same number of points that you recover from cancellation. Wyndham has made it possible to recover your points so do the right thing and be fair to your renters. I have done it and my renters appreciate it.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I posted this a few minutes ago on a different forum, before I saw this string.

"This has nothing to do with RedWeek.com. It was an ebay transaction from late January.

A first-time renter asked yesterday afternoon about canceling a 4BR Presidential unit at Bonnet Creek the week of April 11. I subtracted selling expenses and sent her the balance though PayPal.

We talked about a rental later in the year but that's hard to do without knowing availability and not having a clue when this virus thing will run its course. I told her I'd give her dibs on a 4BR Presidential for spring break in 2021.

She was happy. She'll be back. "

I didn't know about Wyndham's relaxed cancellation policy yet. It didn't really matter since check-in is more than fifteen days out. Wyndham's policy gives me more time to re-rent the reservation.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Does anyone know when the notification was put on the website? I cancelled this weekend in Nashville yesterday but didn’t know about the new policy. I went to look on the website and my reservation isn’t in current past or cancelled? I guess I will wait the 72 hours and see if I get mine back or not

Had you checked in? We checked in for Wednesday - Sunday. When the tournament was cancelled, we checked out yesterday. We were told since we had already checked in, they couldn’t do anything until after our checkout date. They told us to call back Monday.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
Starting pay for teachers in FL is below the poverty line. I can't afford to be nice if my husband is out of work from this pandemic. If you work in a field where you have a stable high paying job, then yes it's nice to cancel. Everyone is going to be affected from this.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
This is a good reason to never rent from an owner! The only fair way to approach this is a 50/50 split. I’m disappointed that some owners think the renter is the only one who should lose money in this case. Please don’t give me legalese to justify your stance. I understand that. I’m simply talking about doing the right thing.

So We should lose money on maint fee and be left with points We can’t use? I’d be on the side of an owner well before the side of a large corporation not allowing refunds. Owners aren’t travel insurers, we aren’t large corporations. Travel insurance isn’t even compensating for these claims. Why shouldn’t owners be allowed to protect themselves. By you saying that, I’m guessing you think that owners should never be allowed to put strict cancellation policies in place? You may want to stay off of airbnb and VRBO as well. It’s not just timeshare owners in this predicament but all vacation owners. There are plenty of people still traveling and enjoying trips with zero issues. If a renter is afraid to travel out of fear of what may happen that is on the renter not the owner. If a renter has covid19, then they can make a claim with their travel insurance policy.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You should offer to rebook at a later date using the same number of points that you recover from cancellation. Wyndham has made it possible to recover your points so do the right thing and be fair to your renters. I have done it and my renters appreciate it.
I’m offering to book at a later date but that also means I’m incurring fees to do so that I’m responsible for. And if the points are less, that’s not my issue. To be honest, the fact that the renters are cancelling is out of fear at the moment. I know things can change rapidly

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So We should lose money on maint fee and be left with points We can’t use? I’d be on the side of an owner well before the side of a large corporation not allowing refunds. Owners aren’t travel insurers, we aren’t large corporations. Travel insurance isn’t even compensating for these claims. Why shouldn’t owners be allowed to protect themselves. By you saying that, I’m guessing you think that owners should never be allowed to put strict cancellation policies in place? You may want to stay off of airbnb and VRBO as well. It’s not just timeshare owners in this predicament but all vacation owners. There are plenty of people still traveling and enjoying trips with zero issues. If a renter is afraid to travel out of fear of what may happen that is on the renter not the owner. If a renter has covid19, then they can make a claim with their travel insurance policy.

Yes, you’re the owner! You are responsible for your maintenance fees. It is in your contract! Not a 3rd person that you rented to but is now unable to travel.
And just so you know, I am an owner. I bought the points to use for my family’s vacation and that is how they are used. I don’t run a commercial enterprise with points I don’t need, which, by the way, is forbidden by your contract!

Harry

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, you’re the owner! You are responsible for your maintenance fees. It is in your contract! Not a 3rd person that you rented to but is now unable to travel.
And just so you know, I am an owner. I bought the points to use for my family’s vacation and that is how they are used. I don’t run a commercial enterprise with points I don’t need, which, by the way, is forbidden by your contract!

Harry
I’m allowed to rent my home reservation. The renter can travel, the renter doesn’t want to travel. Again I’m NOT A TRAVEL INSURANCE AGENCY. The only thing I’m obligated to do is stick to the terms and conditions in the contract. I AM going above and beyond and spending ALOT of time trying to accommodate the renters FEAR. But you’re right. I’m doing too much. I’ll, email now and tell them I’m sticking to the contract. Thanks for the advice.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you bought too many points that's on you, especially if you can't afford them. At the very least refund the rental income minus the guest certificates fee. It the right thing to do. You have the rest of the year to peddle your extra points.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m allowed to rent my home reservation. The renter can travel, the renter doesn’t want to travel. Again I’m NOT A TRAVEL INSURANCE AGENCY. The only thing I’m obligated to do is stick to the terms and conditions in the contract. I AM going above and beyond and spending ALOT of time trying to accommodate the renters FEAR. But you’re right. I’m doing too much. I’ll, email now and tell them I’m sticking to the contract. Thanks for the advice.
You do whatever makes you feel good. But, don’t mischaracterize what I said. These are my words on the issue: “Please don’t give me legalese to justify your stance. I understand that. I’m simply talking about doing the right thing.”

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You do whatever makes you feel good. But, don’t mischaracterize what I said. These are my words on the issue: “Please don’t give me legalese to justify your stance. I understand that. I’m simply talking about doing the right thing.”
As am I. I’ve been trying to do the right thing and the company that’s supposed to be doing the work would rather I do it. I’m trying to find alternatives but getting no responses in a timely manner. There is only so much I can do. At this point doing the right thing would be to abide by the existing contract. For the record, I’ve also rented many times and on a few occasions plans changed and I lost money. That’s the risk you take when you want to save a thousand or two by renting through an owner. You win some you lose some.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
100% resale!!
I have no moral issues not offering a refund because I need the money to live. 75% of the kids I teach have never been to Disney even though it's an hour away. The people I rent to are all financially better off than I am and the kids I teach.

I've never in my life been able to afford to fly across the country and buy tickets Disney tickets for an entire family for thousands of dollars. The only way I personally can afford any vacation whatsoever is by renting out my points and doing updates. I have extra points for when I'm in my 30's and my financial situation starts to stabilize and I can actually travel to Midtown 45 and Canterbury.

A recession is coming that is bigger than 2008. A $1,200 rental is a month's rent and I will take it and save it for a rainy day. My daughter gets first priority. Sorry.

Arimaas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have no moral issues not offering a refund because I need the money to live. 75% of the kids I teach have never been to Disney even though it's an hour away. The people I rent to are all financially better off than I am and the kids I teach.

I've never in my life been able to afford to fly across the country and buy tickets Disney tickets for an entire family for thousands of dollars. The only way I personally can afford any vacation whatsoever is by renting out my points and doing updates. I have extra points for when I'm in my 30's and my financial situation starts to stabilize and I can actually travel to Midtown 45 and Canterbury.

A recession is coming that is bigger than 2008. A $1,200 rental is a month's rent and I will take it and save it for a rainy day. My daughter gets first priority. Sorry.

I have no skin in this game, and you can do whatever you want with your rental, but, just my opinion, don't take it out on someone because "they can afford to fly across the country and buy the tickets".

Do whatever you feel comfortable doing, that's between you and the renter.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

Harry

Yes, you're the renter! You are responsible for your rent. It is in your contract. . . . . .

If renters want the right to cancel without penalty the day before check-in, they should rent directly from Wyndham, Marriott, etc. and pay 3x the price for that right. This is a great example of the economic value of the ability to cancel without penalty -- although some renters now want that benefit without having paid for it.

I may view it differently in situations where the owner can cancel the underlying reservation without penalty, but when the week is fixed, the owner cannot rebook, or there is an economic loss for some other reason, the renter was willing to accept the benefit of a cheaper rental (cheaper than from the developer) and must accept the burdens that come with it.

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I

don’t know everyone financial situations however, my renter lives in the most expensive zip code in the US......

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
What would you do if the resort shut down due to the virus? It's like when a resort shuts down due to a hurricane. Would you refund then? If you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others.

BDMX2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Santa Barbara
Wyndham Bonnet Creek
It showed up overnight, I was poking around yesterday thinking about adding points protection for an upcoming WBC trip so I know the message wasn't there yesterday evening. I also received an email with the same info, the email had a timestamp of 2:30 am Eastern. You might want to call if you don't see your points show up in 72 hours. I would think they would honor your cancellation.