• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Refund for Coronavirus cancellations?

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
What would you do if the resort shut down due to the virus? It's like when a resort shuts down due to a hurricane. Would you refund then? If you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others.
There are things in the contract for uninhabitable resort. Choosing to not want to go is not the same reason. Did you know that travel insurance companies are not allowing this as a claim since pandemics are NOT covered? I’ve rented and decided not to go due to a hurricane coming and beginning the day if my arrival, Dorian. I didn’t have travel insurance. I lost the money I paid to rent for the second bedroom since half of my party decided not to go. That’s life. This is different. There are zero cases where the resort is. They received millions of Americans a year in tourism. Statistically it’s safer to be there than where my renter resides since it is currently a hotbed of covid cases.

to answer your question, if the resort was uninhabitable of course I would absolutely refund. In the case of my rental I have offered to change the dates and I’ve Been working all week to get that done. I’ve been flexible when I had a strict cancellation policy in place. The fact is, not traveling out of fear isn’t a covered claim. Not traveling due to no resort that’s open again, that’sa completely different situation and I won’t sit here and lament over every single scenario. We are talking about one scenario and frankly, this scenario is subjective at to this point in time. Are people over reacting? Maybe maybe not. I for one feel this is a very serious time, which is why I’m willing on working with my renter as best as i can. I do not appreciate the owner being responsible for cancellation fees.

ilya

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have canceled 2 of my reservations minus the guest certificate fee.. I think Wyndham should refund that as well but they are not at this point. Only points and reservation fee.. any luck that they will offer that at some point. If not how do you fight that kne?

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Yes, you're the renter! You are responsible for your rent. It is in your contract. . . . . .

If renters want the right to cancel without penalty the day before check-in, they should rent directly from Wyndham, Marriott, etc. and pay 3x the price for that right. This is a great example of the economic value of the ability to cancel without penalty -- although some renters now want that benefit without having paid for it.

I may view it differently in situations where the owner can cancel the underlying reservation without penalty, but when the week is fixed, the owner cannot rebook, or there is an economic loss for some other reason, the renter was willing to accept the benefit of a cheaper rental (cheaper than from the developer) and must accept the burdens that come with it.
Yes, everybody should screw everybody over, especially during a pandemic. You guys do whatever you want. I’m done with you.

Wyndhamgirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Avon PR
What would you do if the resort shut down due to the virus? It's like when a resort shuts down due to a hurricane. Would you refund then? If you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others.
Thank you everyone for the advice! I am giving a partial refund to those that reach out to me for a refund. I think that is fair and compensated me for the work involved. So far they have accepted the partial refund! Now I have to find something else to rent:(. Im taking a break until all this blows over!

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I'm giving refunds minus any fees I've incurred (which is guest confirmation fees). I'll get the points back and be busy later this year. It sucks, April is by far my busiest month, but I keep telling myself do the right thing and you'll be okay. So far, that's worked for me (hurricanes, illnesses, deaths, and now this). I personally can't imagine keeping thousands of dollars of someone's money. I also am thankful that people are doing the right thing and not traveling. I truly believe social distancing is absolutely necessary to get us through this, and will do what I need to do to help facilitate that.

I, too, am ready to take a break @Wyndhamgirl.This has been crazy and deflating. A lot of time spent, and still have bills to pay myself.

I also have a daughter who is a doctor and will be treating COVID-19 patients. That's where my concerns are today, 100%.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Yes, everybody should screw everybody over, especially during a pandemic. You guys do whatever you want. I’m done with you.
Sure so screw the owner. I didn’t force the renter to pick my listing. There were PLENTY of more expensive listings to choose from with flexible cancellation policies. You agree to a non refundable policy to save 700 bucks then you live with the consequences. Also, let’s not get carried away here with the pandemic. The world is ending, why haven’t any of the travel insurance companies paid out on claims? Cancelling at a certain point leaves owners with restricted usage in many cases. Then what? Oh Well? Before I go let me just say, I put a strict cancellation policy in place and against the advice of everyone on here, I offered an alternative of a new week later in the year, putting myself at further risk of another situation or hurricane happening. I’m assuming the risk in this case. I could have easily responded two weeks later from the request of the agent with “sorry, i was dealing with this pandemic and haven’t checked this email in weeks, sorry I didn’t get back to you in time. When do I get my check?” But, I literally spent more time back and forth trying to work it out with the renter through an agent who took time to respond and mediate all while constantly checking for alternative dates, than actually doing my day job. In the end, the renter is going in August. So, I’m done with you.......

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
<snip> If you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others.

This is the most ridiculous non sequitur I've seen on this board.

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wednesday I canceled an RCI Extra Vacation at 16 days before check-in, losing $260 which is 50% of the rental cost.

If never occurred to me to ask them to wave their 50%. I was well aware of the terms and accepted the risk.

The cost to me is minor compared to the savings I've had over the years.

keno999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Worldmark
Morritt's Grand Tortuga
We were just able to cancel an RCI reservation that we had donated to a charity auction as the people didn't want to travel next week. We did have points protection and RCI returned the points to our account. They also said they will put put a credit for the exchange fee and guest certificate in our account but it must be used by June 30. I'm not sure how that will work since I don't see a place on our account for credited $ but we'll see.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the most ridiculous non sequitur I've seen on this board.
You had to snip out part of the statement so it's taken out of context. I stand by my original statement, "if you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others." It's about morals. You don't screw over others during a state of emergency, especially when Wyndham is willing to waive cancellation penalties.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Red week still has the money in escrow for my rental. I'm just not refunding because I rented a $2900 room for $1200. Part of renting from owners is getting a good deal without being contractually obligated year after year with a deed. They have an option to choose refund policy.

I put strict in my rental, which means no refunds at all and I undercut every other listing. The renter could have even picked another listing that had flexible cancellation for more money. You pay for the priviledge of cancellation. The reason we have a state of emergency is to stop large gatherings so the hospitals don't go over capacity. Thats it. People can still enjoy their condo and all the amenities of the beautiful resort. Just because the theme parks are shut down, it doesn't mean you can't have a nice vacation. I have been to bonnet creek at least 5 times and have never stepped foot inside a park while I stayed there because I was too busy enjoying their 2 lazy rivers, 5 pools, 9 hot tubs, arcade, daily activities and mini golf.

I'm going to Ocean Walk tomorrow, then Santa Barbara and Sea gardens next week and will have a blast without hardly leaving the resorts.

Ron2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bonnet Creek Resort and Wyndham CWA
If your resort shuts down, Wyndham will refund your points. I know this because I've been through it at Myrtle Beach when we had to evacuate because a hurricane was on the way. So if you can't afford to refund the rental, then offer to book a future reservation. It doesn't cost that much even if you need to book a replacement reservation for them next year. You can either use the refunded points for another rental or move the points to a future year. The good will is far more valuable than the cost of getting your renter a replacement reservation, especially if you ever want to rent to them again.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
If your resort shuts down, Wyndham will refund your points. I know this because I've been through it at Myrtle Beach when we had to evacuate because a hurricane was on the way. So if you can't afford to refund the rental, then offer to book a future reservation. It doesn't cost that much even if you need to book a replacement reservation for them next year. You can either use the refunded points for another rental or move the points to a future year. The good will is far more valuable than the cost of getting your renter a replacement reservation, especially if you ever want to rent to them again.
Totally agree. It's the right thing to do...

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Is Wyndham refunding transaction credits. Had to cancel and rebook a transaction with a family friend because the military won’t let him travel anymore.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Is Wyndham refunding transaction credits. Had to cancel and rebook a transaction with a family friend because the military won’t let him travel anymore.

Yes. I cancelled one yesterday and the transaction and points were both refunded immediately. I called the VIP line to do mine. The person I spoke to said they can refund them immediately but if you cancel online, it will take up to 72 hours for you to see them back in your account. I called because I was rescheduling a trip planned for next week and I needed the points back in my account in order to reserve the new dates.

Harry

Last edited:

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
You had to snip out part of the statement so it's taken out of context. I stand by my original statement, "if you can't afford to refund you shouldn't be renting to others." It's about morals. You don't screw over others during a state of emergency, especially when Wyndham is willing to waive cancellation penalties.
WRONG. BIGLY WRONG! Statements like this have now reinforced for me that in the future I will never offer a refund. Thanks! I won’t even offer alternatives like I did. Nope. Thank you! I’ll always think of you when I tell someone sorry Charlie thanks for the free cash.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

I didn't have to snip anything. The statement stands very well by itself. The rest of the totally nonsense post doesn't make it any better.

No one is screwing anyone; no one is advocating screwing anyone. When OP opened the string, there was no state of emergency and Wyndham wasn't waiving cancellations fees.

You could just as easily say, "If you can't afford a cancellation, you shouldn't be renting." It is just as stupid.

Last edited:

sjdanb

Reaction score
FYI: The Wyndham statement concerning timeshare reservations:
Our Commitment to Your Travel Plans

Understanding that your travel plans may change as this situation evolves, we are adjusting our existing cancellation policy to reflect additional flexibility. We encourage you to follow the guidance of public health authorities, and your own medical providers, to make travel decisions that are best for you and your family.

• If you wish to cancel reservations for arrival prior to May 15, 2020, you may do so online or via phone up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled arrival
  • Within 72 hours of receiving your cancellation request:

• We will put your vacation points or credits back in your account
    • We will return your reservation transaction
Our friends and family help make challenging situations easier to navigate. As a valued member of our family, you can count on us to be here for you, ready to welcome you for your next vacation.

Sincerely,

michael-brown-signature.jpg

Michael D. Brown
President and CEO
Wyndham Destinations

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can a redweek rental with escrow allow a change of dates? To me it gets into a grey area where the person has a better chance of getting their money back if allowed.
If you cannot afford a refund how can you afford to have a unit sit empty if no one rents it. This lowers the price for all people trying to rent units as you are desperate. Thankfully you only have a few weeks of rental a year and I had over a thousand. Going forward I would not expect people wanting to rent from you.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know how Extra Holidays is handling the refund situation due to the virus? Are they allowing renters to cancel, and if so are owners getting their points back?

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Based on people's responses, I feel like people aren't aware of just how many people are going to be out of a job. I can afford my ownership under normal circumstances, but I'm operating on the assumption that my family is going to have to live off of my teachers salary since my profession is mostly recession proof.

55plus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Indoor waterpark resorts in Wisconsin Dells other than Wyndham Glacier Canyon are closing. There are several other indoor waterpark resorts across the country closing. It might be a matter of time before Wyndham follows.

keno999

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham
Worldmark
Morritt's Grand Tortuga
Looks like they're relaxing the cancellation deadlines until May 15th, points and reservation transactions returned if cancelled 24 hours prior to arrival:

Our Commitment to Your Travel Plans

Understanding that your travel plans may change as this situation evolves, we are adjusting our existing cancellation policy to reflect additional flexibility. We encourage you to follow the guidance of public health authorities, and your own medical providers, to make travel decisions that are best for you and your family.

• If you wish to cancel reservations for arrival prior to May 15, 2020, you may do so online or via phone up to 24 hours prior to your scheduled arrival
  • Within 72 hours of receiving your cancellation request:

• We will put your vacation points or credits back in your account
    • Our friends and family help make challenging situations easier to navigate. As a valued member of our family, you can count on us to be here for you, ready to welcome you for your next vacation.
Our friends and family help make challenging situations easier to navigate. As a valued member of our family, you can count on us to be here for you, ready to welcome you for your next vacation.
We had just bought points protection 2 days before this announcement. Asked for a refund but were denied (as expected). So, just cancelled 2 studios at Margaritaville St Thomas for next week. I was ready to cancel a couple of weeks ago but my wife and daughter (and her family) were still holding out hope.

simon63

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
FAVC
I've just asked to the owner to cancel my reservation at Grand Desert, we were agree to leave the week open for a future reservation, I think the best way is try to find solution for both.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had just bought points protection 2 days before this announcement. Asked for a refund but were denied (as expected). So, just cancelled 2 studios at Margaritaville St Thomas for next week. I was ready to cancel a couple of weeks ago but my wife and daughter (and her family) were still holding out hope.
DW called Wyndham again today about the reservation we cut short at Margaritaville Nashville last week. We stayed one night of a 4 night reservation but they couldn’t refund our points until after our original checkout date which was Sunday. This morning, Owner Care was able to access the information and they refunded 82,000 points for the 3 unused nights to our account. We did not have Points Protection for this reservation. I do have Points Protection for a trip to Destin scheduled for April 3rd. I was wondering if I could get a refund of the PP fee if I have to cancel. Looks like no.