• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Refund for Coronavirus cancellations?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I used to use my email address and phone number but this year, I'm using the renters email and mobile phone. I got tired of getting all the texts that resorts are sending.
I'm tempted, but I know I get sales calls on my phone number that would have gone to the renter and I just hate to subject them to that. Tempted to use a dummy number, but what if something important really did happen?

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I originally thought we might be okay for our June reservation at Ocean Ridge, but now I'm not so sure and I'm looking at the points deposit deadline at the end of March. Sigh. It would be nice if that was extended.
I have some things with a May 18 expiration (the end of the credit pool points, I can't be the only one). Working on getting all my stuff cancelled and then plan to see if they'll extend. I'm sure hoping so, they give hint to that in the notice. I've read on FB that they've been able to get the points expiration moved out. I'll let you know how that goes.

I also have to say Wyndham has been great in allowing these cancellations and the fees that they have. On the flip side, I do plan to continue to pay my maintenance fees :)

I hope they will reimburse guest certificates - anybody have any luck with that?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have some things with a May 18 expiration (the end of the credit pool points, I can't be the only one). Working on getting all my stuff cancelled and then plan to see if they'll extend. I'm sure hoping so, they give hint to that in the notice. I've read on FB that they've been able to get the points expiration moved out. I'll let you know how that goes.

I also have to say Wyndham has been great in allowing these cancellations and the fees that they have. On the flip side, I do plan to continue to pay my maintenance fees :)

I hope they will reimburse guest certificates - anybody have any luck with that?

That would be nice but I'm still using my free ones. They could give me back my free ones but I don't expect to run out, the way things are going.

Last edited:

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I'm tempted, but I know I get sales calls on my phone number that would have gone to the renter and I just hate to subject them to that. Tempted to use a dummy number, but what if something important really did happen?

That's why I used to use my phone number and email address -- I didn't want my renters to have to put up with Wyndham sales without their permission.

Too many calls, too many texts. Plus, my phone is locked in a box most of the day. I start the phone and get all excited with all the texts and emails only to find out it is the resorts touting their crafts class that night or water aerobics tomorrow AM.

jhoug

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just refunded someone last week for Park City Mar 26-29 minus the guest certificate because most of there party was worried about traveling. This was just before the 15 days and Wyndham’s policy change. Don’t think I got the certificate back.
Now Utah ski resorts closed and Wyndham Park City closed at least til Mar 30. Several other Wyndham resorts having closures too.

Then at 7:09 am this morning most of us in Salt Lake Valley awoke to a 5.7 earthquake.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)

Very interested in what happens with the credit pool. We cancelled our Taos trip (we were to check in today). Some of the points went back to our use year but the vast majority went back to the credit pool and expire 3/30. So far I've been told there is nothing that can be done on these credit pool points. We obviously cannot use them. I need to call gain now that they've stopped taking reservations until after 3/31.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
Very interested in what happens with the credit pool. We cancelled our Taos trip (we were to check in today). Some of the points went back to our use year but the vast majority went back to the credit pool and expire 3/30. So far I've been told there is nothing that can be done on these credit pool points. We obviously cannot use them. I need to call gain now that they've stopped taking reservations until after 3/31.
Well, shoot. I haven't cancelled my stuff yet (mine are April reservations), but I called and was told if you are cancelling stuff that has points expiring because of a March 31 use year, they will move those points forward for you. But she said if they are credit pool points, they would not. Mine don't expire until May so I have some chance of using them, we'll see how the next few weeks go. I would hope you could argue it's impossible to use yours since they aren't taking reservations the rest of the month. Good luck! She also said they are no longer refunding reservation transactions (the policy was changed yesterday, the recording when you call in was not). And she said not refund on guest certificates.

She did say maybe they'll let you transfer to RCI, but it wasn't a definite option, sounded like that discussion is ongoing.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Here is a link to the actual order on the state website. Basically, any establishment that makes over 50% of it’s gross income from alcohol sales must stop selling alcohol and restaurants must limit occupancy to 50% and ensure a 6-foot distance between any group of patrons and limiting parties to no more than 10 individuals.

Harry

Good thing they waited until after St. Patrick's Day to impose that 6-foot distance thing. I was wondering how 55plus kept everybody six feet away over at McGuire's in Destin.

Rolltydr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA, Ocean Blvd, Fairfield Glade
Good thing they waited until after St. Patrick's Day to impose that 6-foot distance thing. I was wondering how 55plus kept everybody six feet away over at McGuire's in Destin.

Actually, it’s probably not a good thing he waited that long. It only allowed a lot more people to be exposed. That’s the whole problem with the slow response in this country. But, hey, everybody have fun!

Harry

jumoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wyndham has an update. Many resorts closed through April 18th.

Has anyone been successful in getting their Points Protection $$ back? I put it on a couple units right at day 15, now the resort is closed for my dates. Doesn't seem fair that they keep my $$, but I wanted to see if anyone had any success before I call.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Give them a call. They will refund.

r4rab

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
CWA Margaritaville(USVI)
Called yesterday evening. Still being told nothing can be done about the credit pool points. Looks like they are likely to expire unused since we cancelled our vacation. I guess if that's the worst that happens to us from al this then we can live with that.

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
I personally am not refunding my reservation through Redweek. I rely on them to sustain my ownership and pay my maintenance fees, since I own more points then I use. You are under no obligation to refund the reservation.

Careful. They might file a credit card dispute. The credit card companies almost always side with the customer.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
If they file a chargeback, there is also a fee in the hundreds that could fall on you as well.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
I highly doubt there will be any validity in not giving refunds when the resort is open and the cancellation policy is strict in the contract that both parties signed. It says online that Bonnet Creek currently will still be open easter week. If that changes, then a refund is in order.

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
@cbyrne1174 i have always respected you. I’m one for gaming the system and screwing the man, especially TS systems.

I grew up in your situation, with poor parents and who didn’t always have dinner. Heck, Christmas dinner one year was porridge and salted soybeans. Obviously, with hard work, luck, and God’s grace, I’m lucky to have a six figure salary and seven (7) timeshares.

If Wyndham is giving you back the points with a cancellation prior to 24 hours before check in, I think you should give a partial refund minus costs of guest reservations. If Wyndham isn’t giving you a points refund, I think you are entitled to your redweek funds.

I bought a 20 pack of N95 masks for $25. I was planning to use them all for me and my wife, until folks begged me for them. I only set aside 3 for me and my wife. I gave many to good friends, many elderly. I sold 5 to my co-workers at $1.25 cost (all over 50 years old), although I could have charged $10.

I went to a gas station today. They paid a guy with gloves to open and close the door for everyone passing by. He looked like a guy who just got laid off and took this unhealthy job to support his family. I have dozens of surgical masks, so I gave the guy three of them. I hope he stays healthy.

We are all in this together.

cbyrne1174

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Marriott, DVC
100% resale!!
Civilians aren't supposed to have surgical masks. They need them for NYC. Last I heard they are running out of supplies within a few days. There's currently 4000+ known cases.

I have no problem rebooking my reservation if the resort is closed, but I'm at Ocean Walk right now and this whole ordeal hasn't impacted my trip much. I just have to avoid the beach during the day time when its packed. I've just enjoyed my balcony the whole time.

If Disney stays closed, of course I will rebook my reservation to a later date, but I'm under no obligation to completely refund it. Disney will reopen, it's just a matter of when. I just feel like we've had enough time to know this was coming and the FDA is going to bypass the 'clinical trial' phase of using Chloroquine since its been proven safe for human consumption since 1949 once there is a higher stress on our healthcare system. It eliminates the virus completely in 75% of people within 6 days. It takes 2 weeks for a person to die after the onset of symptoms. That already lowers the death rate by 75%. That makes the death rate go to 0.25% assuming it naturally is 1%.

The economy can't handle being shut down for more than a few weeks and were going to have to either give out Chloroquine or sacrifice 1% of our population. I don't see the majority of people being okay with shutting down for 18 months to reach herd immunity. I'm assuming they will just give out the meds to everyone with symptoms, make self tests easily accessible, quarantine the elderly and let everyone else go back to work.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@cbyrne1174 as someone who has a sister who is a doctor, our use of n95 and surgical masks is wise. Doctors and nurses each use two n95 masks daily and at least eight surgical masks daily. Because of how infectious COVID-19 is, they discard surgical masks every hour.

As for me, I’m using one n95 mask for months, as our my friends, family, and co-workers. If we have to commute to work, we use one surgical mask over the n95 mask in the morning and one for the evening commute. If this stops even one infection amongst us which would presumably affect others, then that will be worth it.

It appears you are seeing things from your point of view. at Ocean Walk, you can’t go to the beach, so you don’t see much nuisance. But you are young. What if your renter has young children and elderly parents who were supposedly to go with them to BC initially? Who knows if the virus is present in the BC room prior to the renters’ arrival. The virus is deadly to the elderly.

Chloroquine is experimental, and there’s no guarantee it will work.

You are within your legal rights to collect rent. @Richelle is correct that the credit card company may pull back the payment. They have done so for many Wyndham and TS deposits past the rescission period, despite the iron-clad contracts.

I respect that you are doing what’s best for you and your family, which should be everyone’s primary obligation. But I can’t respect or disagree with your insistence on putting your renter family through potentially great inconvenience, although you perceive the inconvenience to be minor.

it just depends on balancing one’s primary familial obligation with secondary societal obligation. A lot of people are taking hits for renters knowing we are all in this together. @CPNY @Sandi Bo @chapjim and others have gone out of their way to help renters, which may bite them in the back.

Upset, my MIL commented that I put my health, my wife’s, and my in-laws’ at risk by giving away n95 and surgical masks. My MIL is correct. I increased their health risk slightly so that others could greatly reduce their risks of this terrible virus. We are all in this together.

chapjim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@cbyrne1174 as someone who has a sister who is a doctor, our use of n95 and surgical masks is wise. Doctors and nurses each use two n95 masks daily and at least eight surgical masks daily. Because of how infectious COVID-19 is, they discard surgical masks every hour.

As for me, I’m using one n95 mask for months, as our my friends, family, and co-workers. If we have to commute to work, we use one surgical mask over the n95 mask in the morning and one for the evening commute. If this stops even one infection amongst us which would presumably affect others, then that will be worth it.

It appears you are seeing things from your point of view. at Ocean Walk, you can’t go to the beach, so you don’t see much nuisance. But you are young. What if your renter has young children and elderly parents who were supposedly to go with them to BC initially? Who knows if the virus is present in the BC room prior to the renters’ arrival. The virus is deadly to the elderly.

You are within your legal rights to collect rent. @Richelle is correct that the credit card company may pull back the payment. They have done so for many Wyndham and TS deposits past the rescission period, despite the iron-clad contracts.

I respect that you are doing what’s best for you and your family, which should be everyone’s primary obligation. But I can’t respect or disagree with your insistence on putting your renter family through potentially great inconvenience, although you perceive the inconvenience to be minor.

it just depends on balancing one’s primary familial obligation with secondary societal obligation. A lot of people are taking hits for renters knowing we are all in this together. @CPNY @Sandi Bo @chapjim and others have gone out of their way to help renters, which may bite them in the back.

Upset, my MIL commented that I put my health, my wife’s, and my in-laws’ at risk by giving away n95 and surgical masks. My MIL is correct. I increased their health risk slightly so that others could greatly reduce their risks of this terrible virus. We are all in this together.

Thanks for the shout out!!

I have three rented reservations with check-in dates between now and the end of April. I canceled all the unrented reservations.

One renter, going to Myrtle Beach with an April 18 check-in, said they wanted to wait for a couple of weeks. That's fine. My offer to them was the same as to others. I'll deduct legitimate cash selling expenses -- guest confirmation, ebay final value fee, and PayPal commission, to the extent any of them apply. Another Myrtle Beach renter is waiting to see what happens with the school break. That's fine, too.

The unbelievable one is broker who bought a 4BR Presidential unit for April 11-18 for $3,495. Cash selling expenses were only $200 and I offered to refund $3,295. Guy at the brokerage wants to quibble over the $200. Contract says, "If Owner is unable to provide [Broker's] guest with the agreed upon reservation . . . ." I've done that. If Bonnet Creek closes, then I make a full refund because I can't provide the agreed upon reservation. If Bonnet Creek stays open, no refund is due, regardless of how little there might be to do at the resort or the surrounding area.

I asked the broker if they had presented my offer to their guest and did the guest make a decision. Haven't heard yet. I have the guest's name and address but have no business contacting the guest. I have a contract with the broker, not the guest.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I better not take that hit. My sister in law is a doctor and she just informed us she spent the day Monday sharing and office in the hospital clinic with another dr who tested positive. She asked us today if we had any N95 masks to donate to the hospital because they are being forced to use theirs all day. Medical supply rationing has begun. China didn’t have these problems. We are headed for a disaster I feel. Everyone went out and hoarded masks leaving none in the supply chain for health systems.

im praying for my sister in law, I’m praying for the kids with cancer she treats apparently everyone in the wing was exposed, I’m just praying a lot lately. This is a dire situation we are headed for

Wyndhamgirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Avon PR
Thanks for the shout out!!

I have three rented reservations with check-in dates between now and the end of April. I canceled all the unrented reservations.

One renter, going to Myrtle Beach with an April 18 check-in, said they wanted to wait for a couple of weeks. That's fine. My offer to them was the same as to others. I'll deduct legitimate cash selling expenses -- guest confirmation, ebay final value fee, and PayPal commission, to the extent any of them apply. Another Myrtle Beach renter is waiting to see what happens with the school break. That's fine, too.

The unbelievable one is broker who bought a 4BR Presidential unit for April 11-18 for $3,495. Cash selling expenses were only $200 and I offered to refund $3,295. Guy at the brokerage wants to quibble over the $200. Contract says, "If Owner is unable to provide [Broker's] guest with the agreed upon reservation . . . ." I've done that. If Bonnet Creek closes, then I make a full refund because I can't provide the agreed upon reservation. If Bonnet Creek stays open, no refund is due, regardless of how little there might be to do at the resort or the surrounding area.

I asked the broker if they had presented my offer to their guest and did the guest make a decision. Haven't heard yet. I have the guest's name and address but have no business contacting the guest. I have a contract with the broker, not the guest.

Wyndhamgirl

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Avon PR
I’ve been really frustrated with some of the renters arguing back and forth with me about a partial refund. Some are perfectly fine with a refund minus $125 and some will send 10 messages arguing different points. I’ve stood my ground because I know I will be paying for reservation confirmations when my free ones run out. Wyndham emails the renter and says they are giving everything back which isn’t true So I have to explain that wyndham is not being transparent and they are not returning/refunding guest confirmations. This is a hot mess!!.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’ve been really frustrated with some of the renters arguing back and forth with me about a partial refund. Some are perfectly fine with a refund minus $125 and some will send 10 messages arguing different points. I’ve stood my ground because I know I will be paying for reservation confirmations when my free ones run out. Wyndham emails the renter and says they are giving everything back which isn’t true So I have to explain that wyndham is not being transparent and they are not returning/refunding guest confirmations. This is a hot mess!!.
Appreciate your refunding minus guest confirmations. Forgot to give you the shout out.

Grammarhero

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I better not take that hit. My sister in law is a doctor and she just informed us she spent the day Monday sharing and office in the hospital clinic with another dr who tested positive. She asked us today if we had any N95 masks to donate to the hospital because they are being forced to use theirs all day. Medical supply rationing has begun. China didn’t have these problems. We are headed for a disaster I feel. Everyone went out and hoarded masks leaving none in the supply chain for health systems.

im praying for my sister in law, I’m praying for the kids with cancer she treats apparently everyone in the wing was exposed, I’m just praying a lot lately. This is a dire situation we are headed for
Sorry to hear about your sis in law. My older sis was a child oncologist until she couldn’t emotionally do it any longer.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Sorry to hear about your sis in law. My older sis was a child oncologist until she couldn’t emotionally do it any longer.
Thanks. She said she felt “off” today. So I said it’s either nerves or you have it but a mild case which wouldn’t be such a bad thing if you get done with it. I know Australia is working on an antibody test. Hopefully they can push that along. I’d love to be able to test to see if I had it.