• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI Suspended Eagle Village Tamiment

194725RR

Reaction score
I know that 20 years ago there was a developer who bought the old Tamiment hotel property with plans of a multi leveled residential development. It was nixed by the county because the utilities had to be upgraded first and there was this major push back from the town. The developer forfeited the property, but it took until 2021 for the legal stuff to clear. To me, the fact that the utilities have finally been upgraded mean redevelopment is a possibility.
Interesting perspective. Your updates are appreciated.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, talked to Stephanie. The paperwork was signed. The Oakes Group intends on renovating the units to be rented out to wedding guests who use the Lake House venue in Poconos Park. Timeline is said to be 6 months. John Oakes is in communication with RCI about the timeline, she has no info on what would happen if not completed. But, the plan is to renovate Phase 1 first because it is all floating weeks. No deeds attached to the ownership. Phase 2 and Phase 3 are all deeded, so Stephanie says she can not touch those, for rental or anything otherwise. But the hitch Is there are less than 1300 owners now out of a possible 3468. And more are defaulting. They do not plan on reselling timeshare units because they lose control of the deeds when people sell off to third party resellers. Also people died leaving no wills and the units went into limbo. They instead now do 3 year leases. People can lease for 3 years, pay MFs, and then be done. I guess the hope is, once renovated, they can do extended leases. That way as people age out they can keep a younger ownership clientel. Once Phase 1 is completed, they will do Phase 2 and then 3. They can shift the deeded owners of those phases over to the renovated Phase 1 until Phase 2 and 3 are completed, there by reinstating RCI. She also said RCI intends to reinstate RCI owners points, but will not allow other RCI members to swap in to EV until renovations are at least completed for Phase 1. But if points are reinstated, I guess that would mean EV RCi members can use their points to go other places? She did not know the details on that, just that points would be reinstated. How many points? Don't know. As the week has progressed, I now have little teeny ants in the lower bathroom, and the bedroom roof leaked during a night rainstorm. I asked about selling and she gave me Resale Closings' number. She said they will not resell deeded back property. Resale Closings will do the paperwork to transfer the deed back for a fee. I have talked to them and it is about 2600.00 a week. I also complained to them about Concord Servicing not sending out statements if MFs are paid, and also about the website being down. They knew about the website but seemed confused about what to do about it. Details like how much EV would receive from John Oakes'use of renovated units was not known. Or how maintenance would be accomplished. I guess, what few owners are left will try to sell on their own once renovations are completed (like me). RCI owners will hopefully continue with swaps in the future. Only time will tell. But it is not being sold or closed for now.

194725RR

Reaction score
So, talked to Stephanie. The paperwork was signed. The Oakes Group intends on renovating the units to be rented out to wedding guests who use the Lake House venue in Poconos Park. Timeline is said to be 6 months. John Oakes is in communication with RCI about the timeline, she has no info on what would happen if not completed. But, the plan is to renovate Phase 1 first because it is all floating weeks. No deeds attached to the ownership. Phase 2 and Phase 3 are all deeded, so Stephanie says she can not touch those, for rental or anything otherwise. But the hitch Is there are less than 1300 owners now out of a possible 3468. And more are defaulting. They do not plan on reselling timeshare units because they lose control of the deeds when people sell off to third party resellers. Also people died leaving no wills and the units went into limbo. They instead now do 3 year leases. People can lease for 3 years, pay MFs, and then be done. I guess the hope is, once renovated, they can do extended leases. That way as people age out they can keep a younger ownership clientel. Once Phase 1 is completed, they will do Phase 2 and then 3. They can shift the deeded owners of those phases over to the renovated Phase 1 until Phase 2 and 3 are completed, there by reinstating RCI. She also said RCI intends to reinstate RCI owners points, but will not allow other RCI members to swap in to EV until renovations are at least completed for Phase 1. But if points are reinstated, I guess that would mean EV RCi members can use their points to go other places? She did not know the details on that, just that points would be reinstated. How many points? Don't know. As the week has progressed, I now have little teeny ants in the lower bathroom, and the bedroom roof leaked during a night rainstorm. I asked about selling and she gave me Resale Closings' number. She said they will not resell deeded back property. Resale Closings will do the paperwork to transfer the deed back for a fee. I have talked to them and it is about 2600.00 a week. I also complained to them about Concord Servicing not sending out statements if MFs are paid, and also about the website being down. They knew about the website but seemed confused about what to do about it. Details like how much EV would receive from John Oakes'use of renovated units was not known. Or how maintenance would be accomplished. I guess, what few owners are left will try to sell on their own once renovations are completed (like me). RCI owners will hopefully continue with swaps in the future. Only time will tell. But it is not being sold or closed for now.
Thank you for this very helpful information.

Do you know if the John Oakes renovations will be restoring units and fixing things to the original specifications? For example, if a roof is leaking will they just fix the section of roof that is leaking or will they replace the full roof? If a dishwasher isn't working, will they just fix it? Or will the units be modernized with new HVAC, plumbing, fixtures, and appliances?

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the pool. It is stained on the bottom. We tried cleaning it and it was not scum, just stain. There was one staff personnel blowing off the mulch from the sidewalk. He said the mower was broken. No money to buy a new one. I see noone else today except the cleaner next door.
1000021240.jpg
1000021241.jpg

TugFhj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Are they planning to send out detail information? Is the renovations starting in 6 months or completion? So the Oakes group is going to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to renovate the units out of the goodness of his heart? Is he expecting to request thousands from the remining owners for the next MF? I am not really seeing a plan yet for those of us that use RCI and for that matter maintenance of exiting units, they have no money for a lawnmower or leaf pickup or insect control, etc...
I do not mean to be asking all these questions of you or expect answers, just still frustrated by the lack of concern and information that is being provided from the board.

kevlev

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts Ocean Pointe and Grand Vista + points
I should mention. The sofa and chairs are very soiled. I threw blankets and sheets over them .
All in all, better than I expected. We'll cross our fingers before checking in next week! Thank you SOOOO much for your detailed reporting.

kevlev

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All in all, better than I expected. We'll cross our fingers before checking in next week! Thank you SOOOO much for your detailed reporting.
And enjoy the rest of our week. FYI, although it's 20 minutes away the Minisink Hotel, near Shawnee Inn, is a great place for bar food and cheap beer.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
To TugFhj: Yes, it seems incredible that someone wants to spend money on this place. I conveyed that to Stephanie and she said he has major money and investors. I guess if he renovates phase 1 and basically owns them, he has to pay MFs. Hence EV has an income again. It will take time and I feel we have to give them that. But 6 months was some type of guideline RCI gave him. We will have to wait and see. I took a pic of Phase 1. There is only 1 car there at night.
1000021243.jpg

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
To Kevlev, thank you. I am just hanging out in this extremely quiet place, reading, fishing and swimming in the lake. Hopefully, you can get more answers out of Stephanie, and even see if things start happening. This might be a stretch, but I swear I saw John Oakes this morning. We are leaving Wednesdsy. My husband has fixed the shower handle, jacuzzi plug and a board in the porch. I swept the porches, just to make it a little nicer for the next owner.

TugFhj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI, John Oakes is on Facebook, he post and responds on the Poconos Park page. Seems to care about the area and people.

194725RR

Reaction score
Just an FYI, John Oakes is on Facebook, he post and responds on the Poconos Park page. Seems to care about the area and people.
Thanks for the information. You're right. He seems like a genuinely nice guy who wants to do good.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Is the Pocono Park Facebook page also John Oakes Facebook page and this is the page he responds to? If so, I would like to ask him first hand if all this information that was given by Stephanie Mills is true. Sorry to be a doubting Thomas, but it just does sit right with me that he would be spending all this money to fix up Eagle Village, but won't buy them a new lawn mower.

194725RR

Reaction score
Pocono Park's Facebook account has a Messenger option by clicking the 3 dots. He is the CEO. Below is their Facebook page link. It would seem best to reach out to him through his professional account.

Below is the link to his personal account:
(https://www.facebook.com/johnoakes360?mibextid=ZbWKwL)

The link below spells out his overarching plan:
(https://www.facebook.com/share/p/P82uuA2ukx4WXest/?mibextid=oFDknk)

Thank you for your continued focus on helping us achieve a resolution.

nellevad

TUG Member
Reaction score
I feel I need to clarify. I was told John Oakes has a group of investors. It's not just him. It's a legal agreement and we have to be patient and see how it is manifested. I wish I hadn't mentioned the lawnmower. We need to let this play out. I wouldn't want him to feel attacked or harassed. Let's be careful. He doesn't own EV, is not the management or the treasurer. I don't believe he will have anything to do with our budget, daily maintenance etc. He is renovating phase 1, through whatever contract he has agreed upon at the moment, and negotiating with RCI. I think we need to continue to press management to communicate with us. That would be the proper channel. The one thing I forgot to get was the board of directors names and contacts. Perhaps someone else could?

194725RR

Reaction score
I feel I need to clarify. I was told John Oakes has a group of investors. It's not just him. It's a legal agreement and we have to be patient and see how it is manifested. I wish I hadn't mentioned the lawnmower. We need to let this play out. I wouldn't want him to feel attacked or harassed. Let's be careful. He doesn't own EV, is not the management or the treasurer. I don't believe he will have anything to do with our budget, daily maintenance etc. He is renovating phase 1, through whatever contract he has agreed upon at the moment, and negotiating with RCI. I think we need to continue to press management to communicate with us. That would be the proper channel. The one thing I forgot to get was the board of directors names and contacts. Perhaps someone else could?
Thank you, as always, for your helpful perspective. Great points.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
Pocono Park's Facebook account has a Messenger option by clicking the 3 dots. He is the CEO. Below is their Facebook page link. It would seem best to reach out to him through his professional account.

Below is the link to his personal account:
(https://www.facebook.com/johnoakes360?mibextid=ZbWKwL)

The link below spells out his overarching plan:
(https://www.facebook.com/share/p/P82uuA2ukx4WXest/?mibextid=oFDknk)

Thank you for your continued focus on helping us achieve a resolution.
Thank you!

Meema

TUG Member
Reaction score
I emailed that, NO RESPONSE
I pretty much have given up due to brush off from AG office and echoing silence from EV . Only agency I have heard from is the collection agency investigating my refusal to pay maintenance. That was last March/April Good luck

Sammy1234

Reaction score
I emailed that, NO RESPONSE
I pretty much have given up due to brush off from AG office and echoing silence from EV . Only agency I have heard from is the collection agency investigating my refusal to pay maintenance. That was last March/April Good luck
So far he, John Oakes has not answered my message either about letting us the timeshare owners know what is going on.
Plus, I don't get the mentality of the response from the person who mentioned he wished he had not mentioned that the maintenance person said, they can't even afford a new lawn mower. WTH, that response is just as bad as Eagle Village keeping us in the dark. If any of this news from the property manager is true, I will be really surprised. I myself am not falling for the soon to be pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

kevlev

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So far he, John Oakes has not answered my message either about letting us the timeshare owners know what is going on.
Plus, I don't get the mentality of the response from the person who mentioned he wished he had not mentioned that the maintenance person said, they can't even afford a new lawn mower. WTH, that response is just as bad as Eagle Village keeping us in the dark. If any of this news from the property manager is true, I will be really surprised. I myself am not falling for the soon to be pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.
The person who said that, Nellevad, has done more heavy lifting in finding out EVs status. You're use the word "mentality" is LESS than optimal.

Sammy1234

Reaction score
The person who said that, Nellevad, has done more heavy lifting in finding out EVs status. You're use the word "mentality" is LESS than optimal.
He, is also trying to paint a picture that is not conducive for the rest of us. He is in a newer part that he luckily can rent out and make some extra money. The majority of us are in the old part that we do not want to stay in and most certainly could not rent out without getting complaints. So, we are stuck paying for a week that we can't use. Why would he not want to let us know about them not being able to afford a lawn mower - ? Let me answer that, he is trying to make it look better than it really is. If John Oakes is such a great guy, why isn't he answering messages to let us know what's going on? The only reason he can do more heavy lifting is because he has a unit that is habitable. If I had unit that I wouldn't be afraid to stay in, I would love to spend a week there with my kids and grandkids and I too would snap a couple of pictures and let you know how nice it is in my unit that was actually being maintained. But no, I had to pay for a hotel this year to go on vacation because one, I would not stay at Eagle Village and two, I can't trade my week with RCI.

kevlev

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
He, is also trying to paint a picture that is not conducive for the rest of us. He is in a newer part that he luckily can rent out and make some extra money. The majority of us are in the old part that we do not want to stay in and most certainly could not rent out without getting complaints. So, we are stuck paying for a week that we can't use. Why would he not want to let us know about them not being able to afford a lawn mower - ? Let me answer that, he is trying to make it look better than it really is. If John Oakes is such a great guy, why isn't he answering messages to let us know what's going on? The only reason he can do more heavy lifting is because he has a unit that is habitable. If I had unit that I wouldn't be afraid to stay in, I would love to spend a week there with my kids and grandkids and I too would snap a couple of pictures and let you know how nice it is in my unit that was actually being maintained. But no, I had to pay for a hotel this year to go on vacation because one, I would not stay at Eagle Village and two, I can't trade my week with RCI.
I'm in Phase 3 and hoping to occupy this coming week. Trust me, my unit will NOT be a bed of roses, just occupiable! Again SHE( Nellevad) did us a great service just being on the ground and reporting in this huge "knowledge vacuum". Still sorry that you're in an even suckier situation being in 1 or 2

Sammy1234

Reaction score
I'm in Phase 3 and hoping to occupy this coming week. Trust me, my unit will NOT be a bed of roses, just occupiable! Again SHE( Nellevad) did us a great service just being on the ground and reporting in this huge "knowledge vacuum". Still sorry that you're in an even suckier situation being in 1 or 2
Just for the record, Nellevad, is not the only person trying to get this situation taken care of. I, and I am not pointing this out to make myself look good, but I have spent a lot of time emailing the code enforcer in this township a lot of emails with screenshots of all the complaints, etc. At first I was getting emails back saying he was looking into this. But for some reason, he is not getting back to me. Also, other people have been spending time filing complaints with the Attorney General's Office. This whole thing with nobody getting back to us, is very concerning. I also would not believe a word the property manager told me. Remember the email she gave us saying she understands our concerns and therefore, set up an email address to send her questions and concerns, she never replied back to one of the emails timeshare owners sent her. So, until I see something being done up there sometime soon, its just another example of the deceit going on up there.

Saworkman01

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Eagle Village Tamiment
Thank you for all the updates. I do question if it is legal for hired management to decide not to attempt to sell timeshares when we are by design a timeshare community. It was not designed for "them" to maintain control of deeds. I believe they can't sell them and failed at giving them away previously. Who would even want to lease them at this point? Again, I don't think it is Stephanie's job to change our operational design regardless of the rationale. Desperation and trying to maintain her job makes me concerned if they are operating legally and in OUR collective interest. Our Boards complete lack of response, information sharing, and noticed meetings is even more troublesome. Who is actually the Captain of our sinking ship? I believe we need all new board members ASAP. Some of us from this forum certainly couldn't do any worse than the bunch we have in office currently.

callwill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for all the updates. I do question if it is legal for hired management to decide not to attempt to sell timeshares when we are by design a timeshare community. It was not designed for "them" to maintain control of deeds. I believe they can't sell them and failed at giving them away previously. Who would even want to lease them at this point? Again, I don't think it is Stephanie's job to change our operational design regardless of the rationale. Desperation and trying to maintain her job makes me concerned if they are operating legally and in OUR collective interest. Our Boards complete lack of response, information sharing, and noticed meetings is even more troublesome. Who is actually the Captain of our sinking ship? I believe we need all new board members ASAP. Some of us from this forum certainly couldn't do any worse than the bunch we have in office currently.
As you well know, your elected BoD is supposed to be "the captain". Like school boards however, they too often let a "superintendent" run the show and tell them what to do especially as financial doomsday panic grips the people that are supposed to be in charge.