• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Year weightloss thread -- who's in??

cherrysaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
update on the spinning: I participated in my 4th class today. I did go buy a softer seat cover at Dick's which REALLY helped. Today was the first time I could actually do all the "up, down" stuff. The last 3 classes it was all I could do to just pedal that bike. He also had a alittle Jon Bon Jovi on today which will always get me working hard!
Anyway, my goal with this class is 3X/week. I hope it makes a difference in my weight loss goal.
Sue

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ate healthy all week and it looks like I am up a pound. :annoyed: No idea what is going on or what to do. Working out every night for 30 minutes, eating 1200-1500 calories and no change in my weight for months. :wall: At least I look more fit. But I want to lose another 5-10 pounds.... I want my pre-pregnancy weight back. SIGH!!!

Katherine

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Up 0.6 lbs last Friday. I've been away from the computer & the site so this was the first opportunity I had to post. I'm also not very happy with myself and lack of focus.

On-ward.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think there is something wrong with all of our scales! :rolleyes:

Katherine

njdoofus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stuck, stuck, stuck. Unchanged in the last week. Need one more pound for a 10% loss on the year, but I just can't seem to get it. :wall:

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Stuck, stuck, stuck. Unchanged in the last week. Need one more pound for a 10% loss on the year, but I just can't seem to get it. :wall:

Me too. Weigh in had me up a pound but I went after lunch, when usually I got right after breakfast. Soo I am guessing I am even again -- another week. SIGH.

GOing to work out... again...

Katherine

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I ate healthy all week and it looks like I am up a pound. :annoyed: No idea what is going on or what to do. Working out every night for 30 minutes, eating 1200-1500 calories and no change in my weight for months. :wall: At least I look more fit. But I want to lose another 5-10 pounds.... I want my pre-pregnancy weight back. SIGH!!!

Katherine

Katherine,
I just saw my doctor (annual check up). She said my weight (though still 5 pounds above what the BMI says) is perfect. She said you need to consider bone structure (though you wouldn't look at me and call me a big person, my bones are medium/large), age (stinks - but it's true), and how much you work out (I work out a ton giving me muscle mass). She told me I am AT my goal.

she also said that when people diet and do well - lose weight - and then hit a plateau a few pounds away from goal (and pre-pregnancy thoughts), the body is often saying - "This is where you belong. Don't lose more."

She said as woman we should remember calcium being a HUGE thing to consider in our diets (or get pills) and stop obsessing about every pound (and she is a thin, beautiful, 47 year old woman who LIKES looking good).

So Katherine, do you look good? I do. I can say that! Would I like to lose 6 more? Yes. Maybe I will. Maybe I won't.

Here's another thing - right now you and I are wishing we looked like we did 10, 20 years ago. But 20 years ago, weren't you thinking you looked to fat?

IN 20 years, we're going to look back and wish we enjoyed how we look today. ENJOY HOW YOU LOOK TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Up 0.6 lbs last Friday. I've been away from the computer & the site so this was the first opportunity I had to post. I'm also not very happy with myself and lack of focus.

On-ward.

Busy week with a what seemed to be a carefree, throw caution to the wind attidude about what I was eating. Had four meals out, all with very high calories (& points) plus a couple of others where I was a bit better behaved. Attended my friday meeting at a substitute location this week in NYC and was up .8 lbs. Leader thought it could be water retention from the flying...but I'm certain it was the food.

I've been very active this weeked, but now am sitting on the couch (I can't move :hysterical: ) here at SCI after a 10 mile run catching up on days worth of Tug posts. A bit later after a dip in the hot tub I'll be looking at the calendar for the next 30 days of events and travel which are significant and will be plotting out strategies and menus for this period.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Friday's weigh-in yielded a 1.2 lb loss. FINALLY!

Looks like being a little bit better behave and the running helped. Ran another long run this morning.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yaaay! Congratulations!!!! :cheer:

I am down a pound too this week. I am being more careful too and actually watching my salt intake as my counselor this Friday told me that the fluctuations are likely not my poor diet (I am eating really healthy and "clean" these days) but my sodium and water retention. I am not a huge salt addict but I do love popcorn so I am thinking I might substitute that for something lower in salt.

In any case, my thyroid labs came back all normal (no surprises I guess). The great news is that my cholesterol is AWESOME! It was really good in my 20s, then slipped quite a bit in my 30s when my kids were young and we were eating lots of Mac N Cheese or McDonald's. Since I have been dieting and working out daily, my cholesterol is back down. And so are my blood sugars, which had me concerned because my family history of diabetes is very strong on both sides.

Total Cholesterol: 167 (was 203 :eek: )
LDL: 103 (was 119)
HDL: 67 (was 54 so the exercise brought it up, :clap: )
Trigs: 89 (was 111)
Fasting glucose: 99 (was 109)

Happy weekend! Katherine

Kona Lovers

TUG Member
Reaction score
Lost 12 pounds so far this year.

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm still in too. Lost .2 lbs at WW last Thursday. Wish I could do better. I'm still trying. Best of luck to all.

Nancy:cheer: :cheer:

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
For some reason I've just recently discovered a really good willpower to eat better. I've always been a workout guy 5-6 times a week of cardio and weightlifting, but my diet always worked against all that working out.

I think its because my son is 8 and I'm very active coaching all his sports teams, and I want to continue that for as long as I can so I need to be in good shape.

Over the lasty 3 weeks I've lost about 12 lbs becaase I'm eating better with dessert only once a week. If I eat right with my active life and work out schedule I'll drop every extra pound I'm carrying, with is now about 20-25lbs.

Good luck to everyone, and if you can use your kids or loved ones as motivation to do so, it works for me.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Friday's weigh-in showed a 2.6 lb loss after a week of relatively good behavior and lots of activity. :whoopie:

So what did I do over the next 24 hours? Ate chinese food, pizza, several beers and slept in late this morning. :wall: (sick, sick, sick).

I was supposed to go on a long run this morning with the running group...they left 30 minutes ago as I sit here typing this. :shrug:

I detect sabotage in the making. Time to make some plans and get moving!

I leave for back to back weeks next Friday...week one in Orlando (vacation), week two in Las Vegas (for business). Lots of planning ahead.

Last edited:

Ginny

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm checking in, after being off for a few months. The winter months are alway hard to diet, but when the days start to get longer I once again feel the urge to lose some weight. Trying to make permanent changes is very slowwww.

I've been going to a nutrition/weight loss class with a certified nutritionist and that has been really helpful. She suggested the online health and nutrition social network site, "SparkPeople." which has been great! There are some good databases for keeping track of nutrition and fitness, forums, articles, 'teams' for competitive fitness, motivation... and it's totally free. It's been working better for me than the online tools I've paid for.

It's at http://www.sparkpeople.com

--Ginny

pwrshift

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Manor Club - 3 weeks platinum, 2 weeks at Marriott Beachplace Towers, and 1 week at Marriott Canyon Villas
Katherine,

... She said you need to consider bone structure (though you wouldn't look at me and call me a big person, my bones are medium/large),!!!!!

My doc said he's never seen a fat skeleton.

Brian

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
My doc said he's never seen a fat skeleton.

Brian

:hysterical:

Now come on - you KNOW what I mean. You can't compare tiny women to larger boned women - they WILL weight more. MEN! :)

Down 18 pounds total - stuck again- but I think my trip to Arizona will help - we'll hike at the Grand Canyon which is exercise I'm not used to.

dmharris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Katherine,

Here's another thing - right now you and I are wishing we looked like we did 10, 20 years ago. But 20 years ago, weren't you thinking you looked to fat?

IN 20 years, we're going to look back and wish we enjoyed how we look today. ENJOY HOW YOU LOOK TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ellen,

This is so true. Yesterday I found a box of old journals from my 20's and early 30's when I was less than 120 lbs. and wanted to be 108! I thought I was fat, fat, fat!! Now 35 pounds heavier I don't think it, I KNOW IT!

So for Lent, instead of giving up something, I took up exercise 3 days a week as a commitment to God! And guess what? I have been at it every week, religiously (no pun intended!). My motivation has been great! Imagine the repercussions if you don't do what you promised to God! So I'm sticking to it! And even without dieting I've dropped 5 pounds!

I also agree about yummy wine and how it does add on the pounds. Hard to give up with a good plate of spaghetti, isn't it?

And Happy Belated Birthday!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
You guys are too funny! I love the fat skeleton comment. I will have to use that again. :)

dmharris, congrats on your loss! I think exercise is the KEY to losing weight. I know when I miss a week, even if I eat well, my weight doesn't change. When I exercise, I can get my scale to move in the right direction, even if slowly.

I am doing well this week, down 2 pounds, but for all the wrong reasons. I got the stomach flu Tuesday night and it is now Sunday and I still can't eat a full meal! My tummy is still so gurgly and upset and my appetite is nowhere to be found. I have not been well enough to exercise either. SIGH. So while I am down, I am not sure how much will come back when I get back to normal. In any case, I am going to continue to eat healthy and hope that it stays down the 2 pounds I earned by throwing up for a week!

Katherine

pjrose

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am doing well this week, down 2 pounds, but for all the wrong reasons. I got the stomach flu Tuesday night and it is now Sunday and I still can't eat a full meal! My tummy is still so gurgly and upset and my appetite is nowhere to be found.

That happened to me the other week when I ate sugar-free jelly beans - I don't think I've ever been so bloated and gassy, and then the trips to the bathroom..... OMG, those things were EVIL :eek:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have posted earlier...down 0.6 lbs last Friday and I'm very fortunate to have registered that.

I'm in Orlando now doing the parks and lazing about the resort thing. Not exactly a weight loss condusive week...but on the otherhand we're doing most of our own cooking in the unit.

Next week I'm in Las Vegas and that will be a real challange.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

Just reporting in that I managed to lose ANOTHER pound this week so I am thrilled!!! :whoopie: I read a great article a couple days ago about diet plateaus (the story of my life it seems). It said to really vary your exercise type and intensity and also vary the amount of food you eat each day. Basically it recommended eating very little one day (like a couple points below your minimum points if you are doing WW) and then eating MORE than you should the next day. By keeping your food intake dynamic, your metabolism will not slow so much.

I like this idea! Here is what happened to me last week. I had the stomach flu so I hardly ate anything all week! I initially lost like 4 pounds and then it quickly came back when I started drinking fluids again. I was even for the week despite eating NOTHING for almost 6 days! Then this past week I recovered and ate what I was supposed to for my diet. All of a sudden, I am down 3-4 pounds. As a matter of fact, my biggest drop was the day I overate (DH and I celebrated our anniversary). HMMMMMMMMMMM.

So now I am trying to stay disciplined and trying to eat less today than I should even for my diet plan. THen tomorrow I will have a bit more of a splurge and see what happens. In the end, we should be "even" for the calories consumed for the week but I am trying the varied approach to see if it helps.

I am now at the lowest weight I have been since my kids so I am happy so far. :) Katherine

bass

TUG Member
Reaction score
I gained 2 lbs 2 weeks ago at WW. Last week I lost 1 lb. I'm still below goal but I'm disappointed in myself. If I could lose 5 lbs. I would feel better. Still trying. Keep it going everyone. :cheer: :cheer:

Nancy

bass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Katherine,

I meant to say congratulations. :clap: You've kept it up! You go girl!!

Nancy: