• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

New Year weightloss thread -- who's in??

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think, that only holds true (WW 1 = 50 calories) if you are eating carbs. Per the Biggest Loser book I'm eating approx 1,500 calories just most of them are in vegetables & fruit & whole grains. I'm really seeing how 1/2 the plate must be veggies. There are very few carbs on the diet. Once the 30 days are up I'll probably go back to the WW way but make sure I eat more "healthy" type foods. I was snacking too much on WW desserts, 100 Calorie snack paks, jello cups, diet pepsi, etc.. instead of grabbing a fruit or veggies to eat. I'm hoping this will help me lose some of the cravings. However, tonight I'm in a real "pickle" as I didn't realize that I had a girl scout and PTA meeting so, no chance to make dinner. I'll probably repeat yesterday's lunch. To stay on track.

Actually no. There is a math formula which derives a point value by calculating total calorie value, fat & fiber grams to = point value. I've ran through it a few times and it's not restricted to carbs. (That's the nerd in me talking right there!)

That said, I get what you are saying about snacking and broad food choices. I understand what you are doing. Hang in there.

ciscogizmo1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Shadow Ridge, Timber Lodge & Waiohai
Westin: Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Villas
Disney: Beach Club Villas & Bay Lake Towers
Actually no. There is a math formula which derives a point value by calculating total calorie value, fat & fiber grams to = point value. I've ran through it a few times and it's not restricted to carbs. (That's the nerd in me talking right there!)

That said, I get what you are saying about snacking and broad food choices. I understand what you are doing. Hang in there.
I disagree as I can find tons of foods that are one point that are greater than 50 calories. Maybe you aren't looking at enough high fiber foods. For example, Orowheat makes double fiber bread that has 8 grams of fiber and 70 calories per slice. It is one point on WW. If you take a bunch of those 20 calories and add them up you'll get extra calories. I truely believe weight loss is achieved by increasing your fiber intake thru fruits and vegetables and high fiber foods.

Last edited:

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I disagree as I can find tons of foods that are one point that are greater than 50 calories. Maybe you aren't looking at enough high fiber foods. For example, Orowheat makes double fiber bread that has 8 grams of fiber and 70 calories per slice. It is one point on WW. If you take a bunch of those 20 calories and add them up you'll get extra calories. I truely believe weight loss is achieved by increasing your fiber intake thru fruits and vegetables and high fiber foods.

Here's the formula: One point = (calories/50) + (fat grams/12) - (min{r, 4}/5)

see the link below for an explanation.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/research/diet.htm

Lastly...50 calories = 1 point not a definitive value by any stretch of the imagination, but rather a loose rule of thumb when you need to quickly assess the points value and you only know the calories. Generally when you increase the fiber, the point value goes down a bit and when you increase the fat grams, the point value goes up.

In my first post where I gave this value I wrote: "As a very loose rule of thumb, 1 WW point = 50 calories (approximately)."

Last edited:

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
been stuck at 248/249 for a few weeks. although I have had to put 2 new holes in my belts recently, so thats good.

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's really good Brian!

Weigh-in this morning had me down 0.2 lbs. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but sometimes we hit platues along the way. I had a lot of activity this week and I recall last Saturday biking up a hill I HATE while telling myself I do it because I like the weight loss. THAT didn't exactly happen the way I thought!!!!

I feel a bit like those on the biggest looser who have terrific 1st and/or 2nd week weight loss, work out harder and hit the platue wall. At least I've seen that and know it happens.

The good news is it was STILL down. Now it's time to look over my journal, review what I ate and improve where I can.

Keep at it folks!

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Welcome to the TUG PLATEAU thread! Actually, I am UP a pound! :doh: Sooooo disappointed. I have been following my diet about 90% and the other 10% I have been eating nothing but salad with roasted chicken and light Ranch dressing. I also worked out EVERY day this week. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I think I need to shake things up a bit. My body is obviously "over" Jenny Craig 200 calorie meals and it's not helping despite the price tag. I am going ot dust off my old South Beach diet and try a low carb program for a month to see if it helps. I am really at my wit's end on what else to do since I am eating 1200-1500 calories a day consistently now for months. :shrug:

Sigh, sigh, sigh.

Katherine

bass

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to WW last week and was up .4 lb. Checked in yesterday and stayed the same (I was sure that I had lost 1 lb. or maybe even 2).:( I'm still in and I am going to try to lose 1 lb a week. Good luck to everyone.:cheer: :cheer:

Nancy

bass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Went to WW yesterday. Lost 1.4 lb. finally. I thought it was never going to happen again. I feel more confident now. Good luck everyone.

Nancy
:cheer: :cheer:

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I understand the plateau feeling. I am not down to 151 and kind of stuck. I have one week until I turn 50, so I have one week to lose 1 pound. I SHOULD be able to do that.

I'm still doing Nutrisystem - but I can't wait to be done with it. One problem is it gives you a lot of gas - I hear because it's high in fiber. HAs anyone had gas problems with higher fiber foods?

145 is my goal - but sometimes I think - what would be wrong with 135? And then I think - because at one point it'll be time to stop the focus on this losing and focus on maintaining.

SDKath

TUG Member
Reaction score
Sooooo, how is everyone doing?

I am STILL the same weight I was in Jan and Feb. No progress one way or the other. Soooo frustrating. I think my metabolism has had enough dieting. Sigh. I work out 30 minutes just about every day! SIgh, sigh, sigh.

Katherine

UWSurfer

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Up 2.4 (grumble grumble grumble).

I know why...but it's still not fun.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had my birthday party Saturday (but don't turn 50 until this Saturday) - and went off Nutrisystem for 2 days - was careful, but put back 2 lbs. I have to work , work, work to get rid of them. Now I have 7 to get to goal. I can SEE IT

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
haven't been on for a while. Lost my Mom last week. So sad.

All last week didnt' go to Gym and eat terrible - soda's and chocalate. Oh well.

This week been to gym 3 days in a row. A little sore from (trying) to run on the treadmill. Weight about the same - maybe dropped a pound.

I have to refocus on working out, eating heatlhy, drinking water and losing weight. I know it is coming off, just can't let up the focus.

njdoofus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Too late to join?

Just found TUG this week and bought my membership this morning (though I didn't get my info by email yet). Is it too late to join in? I started on Jan. 2 at 241.5 and was at 218 this a.m.:D

cherrysaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Boy I am really late getting in on this subject. I have been trying hard to eat right & exercise but it is so hard... I get started & do really well for a few weeks then a weekend will come where I am out at an occasion- eat very badly & just continue it... uugghhh.
I am looking to lose about 10lbs. I know it's not alot of weight to lose but it has been such a struggle.
I started a spinning class this past Sunday. Has anyone on here done this? It is so hard. I truly have no muscles in my legs. It's all I can do to pedal that darn bike for the 45 minute class. I can't do all the stand up work as I can't move back & forth off that seat... and let's just mention that teeny tiny hard as a rock seat... after the 1st class I was unable to sit on a hard surface for 24 hours or better!!! They are horrific. I have continued to torture myself this week getting in my three 45 minute classes. If anyone has any advice about the spinning aside form "stop doing it" LOL I'll take it!!
Sue

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
haven't been on for a while. Lost my Mom last week. So sad.

All last week didnt' go to Gym and eat terrible - soda's and chocalate. Oh well.

This week been to gym 3 days in a row. A little sore from (trying) to run on the treadmill. Weight about the same - maybe dropped a pound.

I have to refocus on working out, eating heatlhy, drinking water and losing weight. I know it is coming off, just can't let up the focus.

I am so sorry about your mother. Just worry about you right now.

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just found TUG this week and bought my membership this morning (though I didn't get my info by email yet). Is it too late to join in? I started on Jan. 2 at 241.5 and was at 218 this a.m.:D

We would love to have you!!

Cherrysaw - Spinning hurts your butt for the first 3 times - you get used to it. You burn about 600 calories - go for it!

cherrysaw

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cherrysaw - Spinning hurts your butt for the first 3 times - you get used to it. You burn about 600 calories - go for it![/QUOTE]

Well today was day 3- it still hurts!!! I think it will still hurt on day 4 too!! I think I may pick up a seat cover... I am hoping that will help.

njdoofus

TUG Member
Reaction score
wow - how did you lose that much weight so fast?

Never too late to join. Welcome.

Thanks for having me. At 241 on my 5'6" frame, there was plenty of room to lose. I basically completely overhauled my diet (which was horrendous), and started exercising (which I had been doing zero). The first 15 came off quickly. I've hit a bit of a wall the last two weeks, but breaking through the 20-pound mark felt pretty good. :D

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
My birthday is tomorrow - and last weekend was a lot of drinking. I realized that's what I'm doing wrong again - suddenly. So today I slow that down (meaning - I can have a glass of wine, not 3 - I don't have a drinking problem, but I do love my yummy wine).

So here's to losing again.

bass

TUG Member
Reaction score
Happy Birthday Ellen:clap: Enjoy your day!

Went to WW yesterday and gained back the 1.4 lbs that I lost last week but will try very hard to do better this week.

Good luck everyone.

Nancy:cheer:

ownsmany

TUG Member
Reaction score
My birthday is tomorrow - and last weekend was a lot of drinking. I realized that's what I'm doing wrong again - suddenly. So today I slow that down (meaning - I can have a glass of wine, not 3 - I don't have a drinking problem, but I do love my yummy wine).

So here's to losing again.

I love wine also. I gave it up a few month ago when I started to really want to lose weight. I think I will have to add it back it, as I really nice a glass of wine at least a few times a week.

Enjoy your birthday!!!

Zac495

TUG Member
Reaction score
Okay - last night I did not avoid wine. Ugh. ugh. I promise to get better now that this silly birthday is over. :) I did not weight myself.

Hang in everyone! This can be a slump time. Let's keep this thread going and keep us on track!