• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Masks and male behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluehende

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Here you go
One quick search
[Personal insult removed]

I will leave your insult alone as it says way more about you than me. May I suggest decaf next time.

Look at my reply and you will see that I volunteer in many organizations that DO get kids outside. Now with a quick search find something that says kids are staying inside so much that a generation of immune systems are compromised. Kids do different things today. Many more organized activities than I had. I had more than my parents. My guess is my parents had more than their parents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I will leave your insult alone as it says way more about you than me. May I suggest decaf next time.

Look at my reply and you will see that I volunteer in many organizations that DO get kids outside. Now with a quick search find something that says kids are staying inside so much that a generation of immune systems are compromised. Kids do different things today. Many more organized activities than I had. I had more than my parents. My guess is my parents had more than their parents.

(removed personal attack/lecture)

My apologies for hurting your feelings

I will leave it at that

Last edited by a moderator:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
This is strange to me. It seems like her employer is monitoring her behavior and she apologized because of her employer.

Happens all the time in the education field. Not only does administration watch social media channels, some of the parents watch them as well.

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
OTOH, maybe the non-mask wearer has great hygiene and religiously stays more than 6’ away from everyone else.
I'd like to believe this to be the case, but find it highly unlikely. Absent a medical reason for not wearing a mask, the person that refuses to wear one, either lacks consideration for others, or has been somehow swayed into believing that C19 is some type of hoax. They're easy to pick out. The markers are words such as "freedom", "rights", and liberty. As soon as you see those words, take cover, because an informed conversation is not going to follow. Guidance from recognized experts, they don't care. Peer reviewed scientific journals, they don't care. They just have this thing fixated in their minds that, someone is trying to take their "liberty", and will abandon all logical reasoning that does not support their preconceived conclusion.

The whole mask contention is basically an American issue. Most of the world thinks these people are crazy.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd like to believe this to be the case, but find it highly unlikely. Absent a medical reason for not wearing a mask, the person that refuses to wear one, either lacks consideration for others, or has been somehow swayed into believing that C19 is some type of hoax. They're easy to pick out. The markers are words such as "freedom", "rights", and liberty. As soon as you see those words, take cover, because an informed conversation is not going to follow. Guidance from recognized experts, they don't care. Peer reviewed scientific journals, they don't care. They just have this thing fixated in their minds that, someone is trying to take their "liberty", and will abandon all logical reasoning that does not support their preconceived conclusion.

The whole mask contention is basically an American issue. Most of the world thinks these people are crazy.
I have a dog named "Liberty" . Is that OK?

cman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a dog named "Liberty" . Is that OK?
You don't have a "right", "freedom", or "liberty" to increase the risk to others. That's a delusional thought. If you want to increase your risk profile, then go for it. But don't ask us to accept "your" risks.

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
You don't have a "right", "freedom", or "liberty" to increase the risk to others. That's a delusional thought. If you want to increase your risk profile, then go for it. But don't ask us to accept "your" risks.
Wow - quite the comment about the fact that my dog's name is Liberty.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score

This is just another media distortion.

Maybe many Americans think the same thing Sweden and other countries do.

"Face masks in public spaces do not provide any greater protection to the population," Johan Carlson from the Swedish Public Health Agency Folkhälsomyndigheten said at a press conference on May 13th.

Swedish health authorities argue that keeping a distance, washing your hands, not touching your face, and staying at home if you experience any symptoms are still the best ways to halt the spread of the coronavirus. There is a concern that wearing face masks would make people follow these guidelines less strictly.

Prime minister Stefan Löfven told reporters at the same press conference: "There is a risk of a false sense of security, that you believe that you can't be infected if you wear a face mask."

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Another day on TUG with the same people arguing the same points. Why should this day be any different than any other day?

And some people think the media doesn’t influence opinion... :p

As for me, it just makes sense to wear a mask. I read those studies about how fast and far droplets travel with sneezes, coughs and just regular talking. I don’t need conclusive scientific proof to make me only want to be near (ie. at least six feet away) others that are wearing masks. If it’s later proven that they don’t help, no biggie - we just spent some time being overly cautious. I don’t get why this is such a problem for some people...but then I circle back to the media and the instinctive reaction for those people to do the opposite of what some people say “just because“.

3346dde8c87be5a2eebf3c70f02e8c47.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
The only thing these face coverings/bandannas/masks (FCs) do with respect to COVID19 is stop the spread of droplets from sneezes and coughs from someone with COVID19 to surfaces (or if they sneeze on you). But they also then would concentrate the virus in the mask of the wearer to be reabsorbed. They don't stop virus in the breath of asymptomatic people, even if this is a potential spread source. (There is no confirmed research of transmission via aerosolized virus in breath vs. droplets.)

I haven't seen someone sneeze or cough in the last 2 months, and I'm out in public daily. If someone sneezed or coughed and didn't have a mask I'd be pissed, even if it might be allergies.

Nothing wrong with these FCs, but the transmission of COVID19 in public is through the eyes, mouth and nose, from infected droplets; almost always something you touched. Whether someone is infected is wearing a mask will not protect you from everything they touch. Best thing anyone can do is wear their own FC and continually use straight isopropyl (not the gel sanitizers) after touching anything, and routinely washing their hands and face when at home. This will prevent almost all transmission, regardless of what others do.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Another day on TUG with the same people arguing the same points. Why should this day be any different than any other day?

And some people think the media doesn’t influence opinion... :p

As for me, it just makes sense to wear a mask. I read those studies about how fast and far droplets travel with sneezes, coughs and just regular talking. I don’t need conclusive scientific proof to make me only want to be near (ie. at least six feet away) others that are wearing masks. If it’s later proven that they don’t help, no biggie - we just spent some time being overly cautious. I don’t get why this is such a problem for some people...but then I circle back to the media and the instinctive reaction for those people to do the opposite of what some people say “just because“.

3346dde8c87be5a2eebf3c70f02e8c47.jpg

When is the last time that someone sneezed or coughed on/near you, with or without a mask? I haven't seen anyone cough or sneeze in the last 2 months, and would run and sanitize myself with ispropol if it happened.

NO ONE WHO IS COUGHING OR SNEEZING SHOULD BE OUT IN PUBLIC, OR ALLOWED TO BE IN PUBLIC, regardless of mask use. But these are the 2 primary bases for making people wear masks.

No, masks themselves aren't bad, it's how they use them. Masks are good,

Unless ... the mask makes people who are sick (have illness symptoms) think they won't contaminate and transmit to others if they have a mask and go out.

Unless ... people who are coughing or sneezing put a mask on and go out.

Unless ... people don't discard their mask, and accumulate much more virus and continually inhale it than if they had no mask.

Unless .. there are people (including asymptomatic carriers) that think that wearing a mask will protect themselves and others, and don't otherwise properly sanitize.

Unless...many other reasons.

NO ONE WHO IS COUGHING OR SNEEZING SHOULD BE OUT IN PUBLIC, OR ALLOWED TO BE IN PUBLIC. But these are the 2 primary bases for making people wear masks.

Unless people are sneezing or coughing on you, wearing your own mask and consistently sanitizing your hands is the best protection.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
When is the last time that someone sneezed or coughed on/near you, with or without a mask? I haven't seen anyone cough or sneeze in the last 2 months, and would run and sanitize myself with ispropol if it happened.

NO ONE WHO IS COUGHING OR SNEEZING SHOULD BE OUT IN PUBLIC, OR ALLOWED TO BE IN PUBLIC, regardless of mask use. But these are the 2 primary bases for making people wear masks.

No, masks themselves aren't bad, it's how they use them. Masks are good,

Unless ... the mask makes people who are sick (have illness symptoms) think they won't contaminate and transmit to others if they have a mask and go out.

Unless ... people who are coughing or sneezing put a mask on and go out.

Unless ... people don't discard their mask, and accumulate much more virus and continually inhale it than if they had no mask.

Unless .. there are people (including asymptomatic carriers) that think that wearing a mask will protect themselves and others, and don't otherwise properly sanitize.

Unless...many other reasons.

NO ONE WHO IS COUGHING OR SNEEZING SHOULD BE OUT IN PUBLIC, OR ALLOWED TO BE IN PUBLIC. But these are the 2 primary bases for making people wear masks.

Unless people are sneezing or coughing on you, wearing your own mask and consistently sanitizing your hands is the best protection.

From your posts, I’m fairly sure you understand the issue. And the point of my post. Yet, you then make the statement that people are not in public who are sneezing or coughing...are you kidding? I’m not in public much at all right now but pre-C19 this was commonplace. Sure, people who cough or sneeze shouldn’t be in public now, but by the time they sneeze what are you going to do? C’mon...again, the point of the mask is to protect others. See my comments about the studies. I’m not going to wait for conclusive proof that we should all wear masks...it just makes sense. Sure, it’s not perfect, and sure, there are likely better solutions, but I don’t understand intelligent people promoting others not to wear masks. That just doesn’t make sense.

Life isn’t perfect. Neither are masks. But they sure as heck are better than nothing at all. And, at least where I live, it’s now mandatory so our opinions are pointless. Hopefully it won’t get bad enough in your area to justify it, too.

And, thanks for the reminder about touching items. When I go out now I take hand sanitizer. I use it after each stop and before I start to drive my car. It’s important, too.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t understand intelligent people promoting others not to wear masks.
It is not " intelligent people promoting others not to wear masks." It is intelligent people pointing out why masks should be a recommendation for adults to make their own decisions and not mandatory pronouncements that give a false sense of security.

Last edited:

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
It is not " intelligent people promoting others not to wear masks." It is intelligent people pointing out why masks should be a recommendation for adults to make their own decisions and not mandatory pronouncements that give a false sense of security.

I understand the distinction, I simply believe it is inappropriate. No one wants a false sense of security, but at the moment it is the prevalent belief that masks help. It’s also the requirement where I live. I don’t see the downside to wearing masks even when not required, given the evidence to date, and I am absolutely open to new evidence...short of that, my comments stand. Advising others not to wear masks, and not wearing one yourself, is simply inconsiderate to others. I don’t mean to offend you, but that’s the way I see it. This is truly the wrong issue to worry about when there are so many other issues...such as the continuing inability for all medical staff to obtain proper PPEs months after this pandemic began.

aded83d5111488b495792f5819b72670.jpg

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
From your posts, I’m fairly sure you understand the issue. And the point of my post. Yet, you then make the statement that people are not in public who are sneezing or coughing...are you kidding? I’m not in public much at all right now but pre-C19 this was commonplace. Sure, people who cough or sneeze shouldn’t be in public now, but by the time they sneeze what are you going to do? C’mon...again, the point of the mask is to protect others. See my comments about the studies. I’m not going to wait for conclusive proof that we should all wear masks...it just makes sense. Sure, it’s not perfect, and sure, there are likely better solutions, but I don’t understand intelligent people promoting others not to wear masks. That just doesn’t make sense.

Life isn’t perfect. Neither are masks. But they sure as heck are better than nothing at all. And, at least where I live, it’s now mandatory so our opinions are pointless. Hopefully it won’t get bad enough in your area to justify it, too.

And, thanks for the reminder about touching items. When I go out now I take hand sanitizer. I use it after each stop and before I start to drive my car. It’s important, too.

I don't know what to tell/say to you. I am in public every day. I have to go to my workplace, I care for an immunocompromised relative and spend time at the medical center, grocery, costco, home depot, routinely. I use my isopropol spray on EVERYTHING, and my hands everything I touch something. I wear a mask. I am not promoting that people not wear a mask.

Yes pre- C19 people freely sneezed their flu, norovirus, cold-coronvirus, and whatever else without a mask. No one cared and told them to wear a mask.

My point was since COVID19 I have not been in public and seen anyone cough or sneeze; which is good news as symtompatic people should never be out. That is all that a mask protects "others" against.

You never responded to "When is the last time that someone sneezed or coughed on/near you, with or without a mask? "

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
On a related topic, I’m reading more about face shields. Options are available as part of a hat, etc. This may be the next recommended step.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
You never responded to "When is the last time that someone sneezed or coughed on/near you, with or without a mask? "

I’m not a good person to ask, since I’ve been primarily isolated for a while. But yeah...someone sneezed (and others coughed) near me at the last restaurant I was at in March.

Glad to learn you are wearing a mask.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was in the pharmacy line at Costco a few weeks ago (mid-#quarantimes) and the guy in the couple behind me coughed and sneezed. Not wearing a mask, did not cover with tissue or sleeve, and did not immediately get out sanitizer. I spent two weeks hoping I was at least six feet away. So, yes, people are still sneezing and coughing in public in the middle of a respiratory pandemic. And I am glad that if that man appears again the pharmacy line, this time he will have a mask.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Then how do you explain that smoking is still allowed?

I'm jumping in here because I don't wear a mask when I'm out in public but I do take the precautions of extra social distancing and shielding coughs and sneezes.
Science may indeed suggest that isn't enough. And to be clear, I am NOT saying science is wrong when I choose not to wear a mask.

But there are many things science tells us we should be doing - and yet we don't for a variety of reasons.

Do I feel like I am placing others at risk? No, because as noted above, I am maintaining extra social distance everywhere possible and practical.
If others choose to encroach upon my space, they are assuming the risk.

One thing that has amazed me during all this is how people constantly encroach upon other folks personal space when if they had just an iota of patience, the person currently in the space would likely have moved on.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
And to the point that people who are not coughing or sneezing should not be allowed out in public......

Can we also ask the ladies who bathe in perfume to stay home? I'll be fine until I run into the scent wake left behind and then sneeze....

geekette

Reaction score
....Then how do you explain that smoking is still allowed?

tax revenue and maybe big tobacco lobby.

I'm not sure many public spaces remain where smoking is allowed.

this is kind of the same thing - my right to smoke ends at the tip of your nose. Your right to be unmasked stops at the tip of my nose. It's all about shared airspace and the compromising of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.