• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC's Deed Back Process

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I totally agree that they can do all of those things and make an owner who wants to get out of their timeshare jump through other hoops that you didn't think of but if there are too many hoops or they are too high and expensive owners will just stop paying maintenance so their Deed Back Program didn't accomplish what the primary purposes of the program is; avoid maintenance deliqencies, avoid the costs of foreclosure, get the Property back in inventory so it can be resold quickly, get a maintenance paying owner for the Property quickly.
Some people just won't go into default though. There is a big stigma around default. I suspect they use the fee to deed back as a method to temper demand for deed backs. Open it up to being free and the HOA or developer gets flooded with more weeks than it knows what to do with. Put the fee there and some people will just keep paying.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
The point is that no one should buy with hopes that this will be in place (as is).

Regardless of the purpose, if there are significant reductions in sales/rentals, they will need to make adjustments.
The travel industry has their ups and downs. With any economic downturn, there will be lots of timeshare owners unable to pay and wanting to get out. They won't be able to accomodate everyone.
I totally agree with what your saying here. I will add to your dooms day economic downturn with lots of owners unable to pay and wanting to get out; there will be more maintenance delinquencies and higher maintenance for those owners that continue to pay their maintenance to make up for those that don't pay.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Some people just won't go into default though. There is a big stigma around default. I suspect they use the fee to deed back as a method to temper demand for deed backs. Open it up to being free and the HOA or developer gets flooded with more weeks than it knows what to do with. Put the fee there and some people will just keep paying.
Good points. I totally agree that there needs to be a balance to keep the system running. However, perhaps the world at this time has built enough timeshares and few if any should be built. Instead of building more timeshares the developers need to concentrate on Deeded Back timeshares which gives them free inventory to sell so they won't have more weeks than they know what to do with!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I totally agree with what your saying here. I will add to your dooms day economic downturn with lots of owners unable to pay and wanting to get out; there will be more maintenance delinquencies and higher maintenance for those owners that continue to pay their maintenance to make up for those that don't pay.
Yes and that's what we saw with the Great Recession that occurred in the late 2000s. It wasn't pretty. Some timeshare systems were hit harder than others.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes and that's what we saw with the Great Recession that occurred in the late 2000s. It wasn't pretty. Some timeshare systems were hit harder than others.
Yes I remember 2008/2009 and that was bad economic times. My husband and I were on our own high with getting ready for and then retiring to our 15 week retirement celebration trip spending the winter in San Diego, Kauai, Honolulu, Maui, Hawaii Island, and Miami South Beach all in Timeshares.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
For those not negatively affected by the Recission it was a time one could get great deals on Timeshares and Real Estate in general.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
For those not negatively affected by the Recission it was a time one could get great deals on Timeshares and Real Estate in general.
Yes, resales were much higher. Lots of folks got great deals.
I bought my first Lagoon Tower week when prices dropped.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
It's only a recession when other's lose their job. It's a depression when you lose your own.

SpaceSkier

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations at the Boulevard
I just started the Deedback process. The email address at the beginning of the thread worked for me after three tries. I got phone calls saying they didn't do deed surrenders the first two times. For your information, I have Las Vegas, the Boulevard, Gold, every other year studio.

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
My deed back (District) is going pretty quickly for this last one. It only took them about 2 weeks from when they received notarized deed to record it.

Still on my account a week later but even if they take 3 months this time I don't have to worry about my account getting locked again.

One strange thing is there's now a $225 account balance for that deed for attorney fees. Can't pay for it online have to call to pay. Hopefully they wipe it out when they remove the deed from my account like they did for the MF for all the other deed backs. Nothing I signed stated I had to pay attorney fees.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My deed back (District) is going pretty quickly for this last one. It only took them about 2 weeks from when they received notarized deed to record it.

Still on my account a week later but even if they take 3 months this time I don't have to worry about my account getting locked again.

One strange thing is there's now a $225 account balance for that deed for attorney fees. Can't pay for it online have to call to pay. Hopefully they wipe it out when they remove the deed from my account like they did for the MF for all the other deed backs. Nothing I signed stated I had to pay attorney fees.
Let us know about the Attorney fees. However, if the attorney fees are only $225 for these Deedbacks then that is another reason for the Timeshare Companies to do Deedbacks rather than wait a few years and then do a foreclosure which must cost more that $225 for Attorney fees since it is a court legal act.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Update: Received email of deed to sign back over. Did notary the same day and USPS shipped with sign approval. They received. Now awaiting final confirmation of everything being disbanded.

Here's the latest update from Kumo. :cheer:
It was posted today on the free timeshare forum (link).

My sign in no longer works on HGV saying I'm no longer a member. THANK YOU everyone on here for a great forum and wealth of information...

Redeye563

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just started the Deedback process. The email address at the beginning of the thread worked for me after three tries. I got phone calls saying they didn't do deed surrenders the first two times. For your information, I have Las Vegas, the Boulevard, Gold, every other year studio.
Over how long a period were your attempts?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
wanted to update the original post to include the diagram that details out the default process for hilton should owners find themselves in that situation.

also included it here! kudos to TUG member @alwysonvac who posted this!

1725051006267.png

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Here's a link to a TUG member's recent deed back experience (post includes step by step process and timeline).

rkTugg59

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here's a link to a TUG member's recent deed back experience (post includes step by step process and timeline).

My husband and I are in our early 80s. We are not able to travel like we used to. We don't want to pay our dues for next year. Our kids don't want our membership, we don't want to gift it, we just want out. We are Diamond Resorts members, never changed to the points program, We are in contact with the deedback program. We are approved for the deedback but were told it is paused right now. We were also told it would cost $1,000 for the process, so we are just waiting. If I understood correctly, we will not have to pay the new year's assessment. Hope I am right.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
My husband and I are in our early 80s. We are not able to travel like we used to. We don't want to pay our dues for next year. Our kids don't want our membership, we don't want to gift it, we just want out. We are Diamond Resorts members, never changed to the points program, We are in contact with the deedback program. We are approved for the deedback but were told it is paused right now. We were also told it would cost $1,000 for the process, so we are just waiting. If I understood correctly, we will not have to pay the new year's assessment. Hope I am right.

The latest TUG discussion regarding Diamond’s deal back process can be found here

wfgould

TUG Member
Reaction score
Reporting a successful deedback...

Orlando Vacation Suites (Seaworld)
Week 45 - Silver
5,600 points

Took just under 6 weeks from initial inquiry until I received the documents to complete the deal. I was not the original purchaser - bought it thru eBay approximately 18 years ago. I have two other contracts I am keeping for now (both Las Vegas) and an upcoming vacation in a Waikiki unit. Those were not impacted (as it should be).

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard

Week 45 - Silver
5,600 points

Took just under 6 weeks from initial inquiry until I received the documents to complete the deal. I was not the original purchaser - bought it thru eBay approximately 18 years ago. I have two other contracts I am keeping for now (both Las Vegas) and an upcoming vacation in a Waikiki unit. Those were not impacted (as it should be).
Nice!

Reactions: mm4

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
I tried this but now they are asking me to fill out all my financial information on that sheet. Boo. If anyone had better luck, I'd love to hear tips.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I tried this but now they are asking me to fill out all my financial information on that sheet. Boo. If anyone had better luck, I'd love to hear tips.
Don't provide any financial information. Just write non applicable next to each option and reiterate" NO LOAN OR OUTSTANDING MAINTENANCE FEE (VOLUNTARY SURRENDER)"

Here's a recent example

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
If it’s the same hardship document posted in this thread (see post #65). Financial information is only required when you’re declaring a hardship.

1727071408768.png

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Week 45 - Silver
5,600 points

That is great that you were able to Deedback a Silver Week which many refer to as a "Dog Week". HGVC is doing what I have been recommending that all Timeshare Companies Deedback any unwanted units so that owners that are paying their maintenance are not burdened with paying higher maintenance do to Delinquent Owners.