• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

HGVC's Deed Back Process

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
its absolutely not a one size fits all model, but at this stage of the game every timeshare should have had YEARS to come up with a viable solution for owners vs what is currently available.

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
In Worldmark (Pure Points System) once an Account is in Default it goes back to Wyndumb and they pay the Past Due Amounts and future Maintenance Fees. With Pure Points this is much easier done than in Deed Based Timeshares.
That is interesting that in a Pure Points System there is no Deed so taking over the account is easier since it is only a matter of record keeping no actual Deeded Property needs to be dealt with. While I would have always thought that having Deeded Property was better perhaps in the Delinquent Maintenance Environment that is not true. The protections that one gets with Deeded Property become an actual problem when trying to get rid of Timeshares.

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
All my deed backs are finally off my account. The last one was recorded on 2/5/24 and did not drop from my account until about 5/21/24. Altogether a 6 month process from when I sent in the notarized warranty deed. Towards the end of April they locked my account from making new reservations due to the overdue maintenance fees for these deeds. My account is now unlocked again.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All my deed backs are finally off my account. The last one was recorded on 2/5/24 and did not drop from my account until about 5/21/24. Altogether a 6 month process from when I sent in the notarized warranty deed. Towards the end of April they locked my account from making new reservations due to the overdue maintenance fees for these deeds. My account is now unlocked again.
Did you Deedback all of your HGVC contracts? If so then why would they unlock your account? Do you still have an account?

My understanding was that once you Deedback all of your HGVC contracts your account would be closed, you could no longer make reservations and any reservations that you had would be cancelled.

We are Deeding back 3 or our 6 contracts the call center told us that since we paid our maintenance on all of our contracts for 2024 we would be able to use those points, but we would not be able to use the 2025 points for the contracts that we are Deeding Back. However, the Deedback HGVC group said that we should convert all our 2024 points to Hilton Honors because once the Deedback goes through all our reservations would be cancelled using the 2024 points on the contracts that we are Deeding Back even though we paid the maintenance for those points.

I think that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing!!

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you Deedback all of your HGVC contracts? If so then why would they unlock your account? Do you still have an account?

My understanding was that once you Deedback all of your HGVC contracts your account would be closed, you could no longer make reservations and any reservations that you had would be cancelled.

We are Deeding back 3 or our 6 contracts the call center told us that since we paid our maintenance on all of our contracts for 2024 we would be able to use those points, but we would not be able to use the 2025 points for the contracts that we are Deeding Back. However, the Deedback HGVC group said that we should convert all our 2024 points to Hilton Honors because once the Deedback goes through all our reservations would be cancelled using the 2024 points on the contracts that we are Deeding Back even though we paid the maintenance for those points.

I think that one hand doesn't know what the other hand is doing!!
I only deeded back a small portion of what I owned.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I only deeded back a small portion of what I owned.

Then they NEVER should have LOCKED your account. They should have just removed the points for the contracts that you Deeded Back from your account.

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
Then they NEVER should have LOCKED your account. They should have just removed the points for the contracts that you Deeded Back from your account.
I agree. They should have some way to prevent this from happening. E-mailed Portfolio Services after I noticed and they gave the same response they always did that it can take up to 120 days after recording. I didn't care too much so I didn't push back. I already had all my trips for the year already booked.

I do wonder why timeline varied so much. Gave six deeds back. Two were Flamingo deeds for same amount of points. One was recorded early Jan and was off my account early Feb. The second one was the problem one that took six months. Maybe they only remove it from my account after they sold it to someone else. Just a guess.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree. They should have some way to prevent this from happening. E-mailed Portfolio Services after I noticed and they gave the same response they always did that it can take up to 120 days after recording. I didn't care too much so I didn't push back. I already had all my trips for the year already booked.

I do wonder why timeline varied so much. Gave six deeds back. Two were Flamingo deeds for same amount of points. One was recorded early Jan and was off my account early Feb. The second one was the problem one that took six months. Maybe they only remove it from my account after they sold it to someone else. Just a guess.
I just checked my account today and my 3 Deedbacks have been completed. I used or saved and then used all of my 2024 points and the reservations in 2024 and 2025 are still all there. The points have been adjusted for 2025 and 2026 which is what I thought was going to happen. I will be saving over $4K a year in maintenance fees for 2025 and going forward which was our goal.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I just checked my account today and my 3 Deedbacks have been completed. I used or saved and then used all of my 2024 points and the reservations in 2024 and 2025 are still all there. The points have been adjusted for 2025 and 2026 which is what I thought was going to happen. I will be saving over $4K a year in maintenance fees for 2025 and going forward which was our goal.
Congratulations!

Please share details on 3 deedbacks.
Timeline, Resort name, unit size/type, annual/EOY

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Congratulations!

Please share details on 3 deedbacks.
Timeline, Resort name, unit size/type, annual/EOY
The Deedbacks were all for every year 1 BR units at the McAlpin in South Beach. Sent the forms in February so it took about 3 months.

We bought those units because our original plan was to vacation in the winter in South Beach when we lived in NY. In 2007 we first visited Honolulu and stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Waikiki and South Beach have lots in common but we felt that Waikiki was better for many reasons and by buying some more points and staying in a Studio in the Lagoon Tower we could afford to stay in Hawaii for the entire winter. That precipitated my husband and I retiring in 2009 to stay in Hawaii for the winter from 2009 to 2020.

We now live there so we have tooooo many points for an occasional vacation from Honolulu.

brial05

TUG Member
Reaction score
Can confirm, they won't do a deed back for my EOY Elara 1 bd Gold.
EOY is not a whole unit, there is another half. You can see what your contract states regarding the purchase of the other half which they are legally bound to offer. If it is super cheap in their eyes, you can use it as a make weight against them.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Is it possible to deed back a unit and keep other deeds to still use the system if you have too many points? or is it all or nothing?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
EOY is not a whole unit, there is another half. You can see what your contract states regarding the purchase of the other half which they are legally bound to offer. If it is super cheap in their eyes, you can use it as a make weight against them.
They’re in the process of deeding back their EOY.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Is it possible to deed back a unit and keep other deeds to still use the system if you have too many points? or is it all or nothing?
Snezz1e reported that he was able to deedback a subset of his ownership. See post #130 in this thread.

Last edited:

Snezz1e

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, I only just deeded back a small portion of my ownership. Just started the process on a EOY District deed that I own. I tried modifying a prior agreement with the deed number and sending it in to see if it saved some time. No response for a month. I sent a follow-up e-mail and they finally responded with their own agreement for me to sign. Only took another 1.5 days to get the warranty deed paperwork to get notarize.

So if you get no response, be sure to follow-up.

knits1

Reaction score
As of 12/28/2023
  • The contact email for HGVC deed back is pfoliosvc@hgvc.com.
  • No additional fees as of 12/28/2023
  • May take 90-120 days to process the deed back.
HOA VOLUNTARY SURRENDER
PROGRAM TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Other terms and conditions to the Voluntary Surrender Agreement (“Agreement”):
1. Property Maintenance and Expenses (Homeowner’s Association Assessments).
If all the terms and conditions of this Agreement are met, you will be released from all remaining property maintenance and expenses (“HOA Fees”) associated with your vacation ownership interest upon the successful conveyance of your vacation ownership interest back to us.
2. Satisfaction and Release of Liability (HOA Liens).
If all the terms and conditions of this Agreement are met and, upon conveyance of your vacation ownership interest to us by Warranty Deed (or the equivalent in the state where your vacation ownership interest is located), we will release any liens held by Hilton encumbering the vacation ownership interest. Upon recording the required lien release(s), as any Homeowner’s Association lien(s) for delinquent assessments (if applicable) will be satisfied, which will result in Hilton (and/or its affiliates) foregoing all rights to pursue a deficiency judgment.
3. Foreclosure Sale Suspension – only applicable to owners already in foreclosure.
We will suspend any foreclosure sale date until the conveyance of your Property has been completed, provided you return a validly executed and recordable deed and continue to abide by the terms and conditions of this Agreement. If any of the terms and conditions of this agreement are not met within 45 days as of the date of this agreement, we may initiate or continue the foreclosure process as permitted by the mortgage documents, recorded liens and/or governing association documents.
4. Termination of This Agreement.
We may terminate this Agreement at any time if:
a. Your financial situation improves significantly, you qualify for loan modification, you bring the account current or you pay off the obligations associated with the account (mortgage, association assessments, and/or other fees) in full.
b. You fail to act in good faith with the Agreement.
c. A significant change occurs to the property condition or value.
d. There is evidence of fraud or misrepresentation.
e. You file for bankruptcy and the Bankruptcy Court declines to approve the agreement.
f. Litigation is initiated or threatened that could affect title to the property or interfere with a valid conveyance.
5. Settlement of a Debt.
The proposed transaction represents our attempt to reach a settlement of your account, which may be associated with delinquent obligations (such as a delinquent mortgage or Homeowner’s Association assessments). You are choosing to enter into this Agreement even though there is no guarantee that the transaction will be successful. In the event this transaction is unsuccessful, we may exercise our remedies under the mortgage or governing association documents, including foreclosure. In consideration for Hilton’s willingness to accept the return of the Vacation Ownership Interest (VOI), you agree to release Hilton from and against any and all present or future claims and/or disputes that you may assert or may have asserted against Hilton of any nature whatsoever, known or unknown and immediately withdraw any such complaints made against the Indemnified Parties with any local, state, or federal agency, and cancel any credit card dispute or investigations it may have opened in connection with the Contract.
6. Credit Reporting Considerations
We cannot provide opinions or assumptions as to the impact to the borrower’s credit score, nor do we have control over, or responsibility for, the impact on the borrower’s credit score.
7. Membership Benefits.
Benefits associated with the above contract and HGVClub Membership shall automatically terminate once you no longer own a vacation ownership interest at an affiliated resort. Once HGVClub Membership is terminated, benefits and privileges of HGVClub Membership automatically and immediately cease. For instance, any unused Bonus Points or any Hilton Honors privileges granted solely in connection with HGVClub Membership shall automatically expire. Furthermore, reservations are subject to cancellation upon termination of the HGVClub Membership.
8. No Refund.
Owner understands and agrees that no refund of any amounts paid by the owner in connection with the VOI will be due or payable to Owner or any third party. Additionally, any chargeback attempts on credit card or debit card payment(s) previously made in connection with the VOI may be deemed as a failure to act in good faith by the owner and result in termination of this agreement.
Alright, my deedback for Hilton, Anderson resort in South Carolina is done. It was a confusing process for me, So I will summarize here what happen for "educational" purpose.
I have deeded back a camping membership and Resort before, but this was my one and only HGVC.
About May 15th, I contacted Hilton and the individual insisted I had to fill out a form online. When I went to the form, I realized this was a hardship form. I was clear I had no loan, but that is the only information she provided me. I e-mailed to that address that I didn't have a loan, I had already tried reselling and I just wanted to a deed back. I also called back and spoke with a person that was going to send an e-mail requesting a deed back.
Best guess, she send it to resell. I ended up with 2 different people from resell sending me that my "resell listing has expired" and I needed to renew, sending me a contract. I e-mailed back and forth with resell, and one of the contacts gave me the information for their attorney to do deed back on the 16th of May . You have to e-mail them, but they don't give you the e-mail address....LOL.
I called the attorney who than e-mailed portfolio with my request for a deed back on the 16th of May.
NOW- the analogy that Hilton is a bunch of silos is spot on. A doesn't know what B or C is doing. And here is where it got frustrating and confusing to me. Everyone that called back was customer service and not very forthcoming what department exactly. Portfolio (?) called told me I'm passed the grace period to give my resort back and since I wasn't interested in trying to list it and sell it, my case was closed. That's about couple days after I joined here. I e-mailed portfolio around 7th (? of June) telling them I want to deed back, surrender or whatever they want to call it. Didn't hear anything. Got 2 more calls from Hilton, customer service, and after digging, one was for Loan department telling me I didn't have a loan they couldn't help me and to contact that attorney. The other, still don't know what department, telling me they couldn't help me, at which point I was frustrated cause she told me my case was closed. So I asked they put stuff in writing because I'm so confused and like a paper trail at this point.
While this was going on, the attorney was going to e-mail me the paperwork on the 6th of June for my deed back, but now, because I said I wanted things in writing (apparently that made into a unified system, cause nothing else had to that point), send me the paperwork instead which took about 8 days to get to me, and I found out when I e-mailed them asking. They e-mailed me the paperwork on June 10th and i got it notarized and send it back to them the same day. Today I got my final paperwork with the information that it will now be send to portfolio to close my account.
So, unless you knew about the portfolio, or was told by someone at Hilton to e-mail their attorney, expect a bunch of calls from different departments that have one mission, to either have you resell , or plain won't help you, or tell you the case is closed (whatever case that might be). I'm not sure why two different departments told me to contact attorney, which is ultimately how I got mine done. The Attorney also was going thru portfolio department to request/and finalize everything. I deeded back with no expectation for reimbursement. There was no cost to me.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Alright, my deedback for Hilton, Anderson resort in South Carolina is done. It was a confusing process for me, So I will summarize here what happen for "educational" purpose.
I have deeded back a camping membership and Resort before, but this was my one and only HGVC.
About May 15th, I contacted Hilton and the individual insisted I had to fill out a form online. When I went to the form, I realized this was a hardship form. I was clear I had no loan, but that is the only information she provided me. I e-mailed to that address that I didn't have a loan, I had already tried reselling and I just wanted to a deed back. I also called back and spoke with a person that was going to send an e-mail requesting a deed back.
Best guess, she send it to resell. I ended up with 2 different people from resell sending me that my "resell listing has expired" and I needed to renew, sending me a contract. I e-mailed back and forth with resell, and one of the contacts gave me the information for their attorney to do deed back on the 16th of May . You have to e-mail them, but they don't give you the e-mail address....LOL.
I called the attorney who than e-mailed portfolio with my request for a deed back on the 16th of May.
NOW- the analogy that Hilton is a bunch of silos is spot on. A doesn't know what B or C is doing. And here is where it got frustrating and confusing to me. Everyone that called back was customer service and not very forthcoming what department exactly. Portfolio (?) called told me I'm passed the grace period to give my resort back and since I wasn't interested in trying to list it and sell it, my case was closed. That's about couple days after I joined here. I e-mailed portfolio around 7th (? of June) telling them I want to deed back, surrender or whatever they want to call it. Didn't hear anything. Got 2 more calls from Hilton, customer service, and after digging, one was for Loan department telling me I didn't have a loan they couldn't help me and to contact that attorney. The other, still don't know what department, telling me they couldn't help me, at which point I was frustrated cause she told me my case was closed. So I asked they put stuff in writing because I'm so confused and like a paper trail at this point.
While this was going on, the attorney was going to e-mail me the paperwork on the 6th of June for my deed back, but now, because I said I wanted things in writing (apparently that made into a unified system, cause nothing else had to that point), send me the paperwork instead which took about 8 days to get to me, and I found out when I e-mailed them asking. They e-mailed me the paperwork on June 10th and i got it notarized and send it back to them the same day. Today I got my final paperwork with the information that it will now be send to portfolio to close my account.
So, unless you knew about the portfolio, or was told by someone at Hilton to e-mail their attorney, expect a bunch of calls from different departments that have one mission, to either have you resell , or plain won't help you, or tell you the case is closed (whatever case that might be). I'm not sure why two different departments told me to contact attorney, which is ultimately how I got mine done. The Attorney also was going thru portfolio department to request/and finalize everything. I deeded back with no expectation for reimbursement. There was no cost to me.
Thanks for providing this information. Maybe you can add the email addresses that worked and the paperwork that they sent you so that others will know what is needed.

knits1

Reaction score
Thanks for providing this information. Maybe you can add the email addresses that worked and the paperwork that they sent you so that others will know what is needed.
contact@kingcunnigham.com Judging from his paperwork, he only does South Carolina (I think he was also licensed in NC, but paperwork is already in my safe). So you would only contact him for the anderson resort.

the paperwork is specific to our unit. So it has the 16th of that unit # , the week and what unit and all that.

The e-mail you send if going that route would be the same as for the portfolio. Your unit, week, resort, contract number and that you want to do a deed back. In my case I was not asking for compensation, so that was included.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
So happy to hear that your Anderson week was accepted. Thanks for coming back and sharing the good news.

SpaceSkier

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations at the Boulevard

Last edited:

cindyts

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Max
Sorry for being naive. We have an outstanding loan. Any shot of this working for us? We are just planning to not pay and have it foreclosed at the moment.
Hi - I'm in the same situation. Wondering what you end up doing?

patriciotck

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
None
Hello. I am thinking of getting a contract in the resale market. Does Hilton take back even when I purchase resale in the future or only if I bought from the developer?

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Hello. I am thinking of getting a contract in the resale market. Does Hilton take back even when I purchase resale in the future or only if I bought from the developer?
I believe some of these might be resales but rules can easily change tomorrow.
They can put limitations, add fees and/or cancel/pause their voluntary surrender program at any time.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I believe some of these might be resales but rules can easily change tomorrow.
They can put limitations, add fees and/or cancel/pause their voluntary surrender program at any time.
I totally agree that they can do all of those things and make an owner who wants to get out of their timeshare jump through other hoops that you didn't think of but if there are too many hoops or they are too high and expensive owners will just stop paying maintenance so their Deed Back Program didn't accomplish what the primary purposes of the program is; avoid maintenance deliqencies, avoid the costs of foreclosure, get the Property back in inventory so it can be resold quickly, get a maintenance paying owner for the Property quickly.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
I totally agree that they can do all of those things and make an owner who wants to get out of their timeshare jump through other hoops that you didn't think of but if there are too many hoops or they are too high and expensive owners will just stop paying maintenance so their Deed Back Program didn't accomplish what the primary purposes of the program is; avoid maintenance deliqencies, avoid the costs of foreclosure, get the Property back in inventory so it can be resold quickly, get a maintenance paying owner for the Property quickly.
The point is that no one should buy with hopes that this will be in place (as is).

Regardless of the purpose, if there are significant reductions in sales/rentals, they will need to make adjustments.
The travel industry has their ups and downs. With any economic downturn, there will be lots of timeshare owners unable to pay and wanting to get out. They won't be able to accomodate everyone.