• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Help with vidanta and private reserve travel club (merged)

rpennisi

Reaction score
Along the lines of commissions, does anyone know what the deal is with the 5 white Mercedes cars parked by Salum at RM and at Grand Bliss at NV? I can't imagine what it would take for a sales person to get one of them, but who knows with the way GL, etc sales are going "through the roof".

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Along the lines of commissions, does anyone know what the deal is with the 5 white Mercedes cars parked by Salum at RM and at Grand Bliss at NV? I can't imagine what it would take for a sales person to get one of them, but who knows with the way GL, etc sales are going "through the roof".

I think they have an annual drawing for them for the most successful sales folks. Heard that from one of them.

Greg Venditti

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Private Reserve Tavel Collection
It doesn't really matter what anyone said to you either on the phone or in person. It matters what the contract says. The travel collection or whatever they are calling it may be considered a timeshare or it may be considered a vacation club. I am not sure that vacation clubs in Mexico are eligible for a rescission the same way that a timeshare is required to have. Profecto should be able to answer that. They probably can determine if you paid for a vacation club or a more traditional timeshare. But back to the contract. What does it say about cancelling? If eligible it should tell you the number of days and how and where to send a cancellation within the rescission window. Even if it says you can't cancel you would want to double check that with Profecto. If you purchased something that Mexican law requires a rescission period and your contract says you can't, you would still be able to cancel and the fact that the contract was incorrect may give you the extra days you need.

So stop talking to the salespeople. They aren't there to help you or tell you the truth. Unfortunately the law doesn't seem to care if they lied or not as long as the correct information was in the contract.
This is a vacation package not a timeshare. The contract as they call it says I can cancel but I cannot get my initial money back. I paid it in full $7,200. I read it as a $99 a year membership fee. They're saying the whole $7,200 is nonrefundable. I cannot get ahold of Profeco. I have emailed them twice another numbers work that are listed on the website. If you happen to have a number that would be greatly appreciated. The sales person is calling me back. They refused to put an addendum that says this is a lifetime membership and the 200 weeks are good for life. But on the contract they put 7 years. I guess I could sell the weeks to people but I don't know how I'd go about it. I was told they are transferable. I was told there's 85,000 properties and $99 a week with no fees for a studio 199 for one-bedroom 299 for two-bedroom + 399 for three-bedroom. Hall with no fees and transferable. A person would just have to get the room through me.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
I just googled Profeco and got a link to this web page: https://www.gob.mx/profeco/documentos/conciliation-from-abroad?state=published
It may have the same email address you've already tried. There is a phone number listed at the bottom.

Have you tried to talk with the people at the Member Services dept. at Vidanta? Some people have reported success in working through them to resolve issues with a purchase.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
What is PROFECO?
The Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor (Office of the Federal Prosecutor for the Consumer), known as PROFECO, is the consumer protection agency designed to protect consumers against abuses or fraud by companies operating in Mexico. If you are having a dispute with a timeshare developer in Mexico, you may contact “PROFECO” by email at extranjeros@profeco.gob.mx or by telephone to file a formal complaint.

Go to PROFECO’s webpage at www.profeco.gob.mx (Spanish) or www.profeco.gob.mx/english.htm (English) to find more information and current telephone numbers for PROFECO.

https://www.profeco.gob.mx/Folletos/Queja_ing.pdf

https://www.profeco.gob.mx/revista/publicaciones/otras_pub_09/tiempos compartidos inglesV.pdf
If you were dissatisfied with products or services provided during a visit to Mexico, you may file a complaint through the Federal Agency of Consumer Affairs (Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor, PROFECO).

In order to file a complaint, you must do the following:

• Fill out a complaint form avalilable at Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor, PROFECO
  • Enclose the document to prove the consumer relationship (agreement, invoice, receipt, publicity, etc.)
  • Submit all documents that may serve as proof of your complaint, such as copies of cheques, credit card slips, receipts, credit card statements, airplane tickets or any other document that might be relevant to your claim.
  • If the complain of a person is presented by a legal guardian in Mexico it must be through a simple signed power before two witnesses. It must include a copy of the official identification of the person who accepts the power and two witnesses.
  • Copy of your official identification (passport, driver’s license).
  • All this information must be sent by e-mail to: turista@profeco.gob.mx or by postal mail to the following address:
Procuraduría Federal del Consumidor
Dirección General de Quejas y Conciliación
Av. José Vasconcelos No. 208, 6º piso,
Col. Condesa, Delegación Cuauhtémoc
México, D.F. C.P.: 06140
Tel: (011-5255) 5211-1723
Fax: (011-5255) 5625-6621

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
This is a vacation package not a timeshare. The contract as they call it says I can cancel but I cannot get my initial money back. I paid it in full $7,200. I read it as a $99 a year membership fee. They're saying the whole $7,200 is nonrefundable. I cannot get ahold of Profeco.

1 ) IMO - based on TUG reading: Profeco is basically a administrative entity - not an enforcement agency (IMO) They cannot force a TS company to do anything beyond comply with the 5 day recession timelines spelled out by Mexican law . They are helpful however & Mexican TS companies seem to prefer not to have bad PR when Profeco is advised of an issue - so filing with Profeco may assist resolution.

2) who is “ they” - (ie) “They’re saying ..... “
Is it sales ?

3) Have you had a conversation with Vidanta Member Services ?

Last edited:

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Makes me glad that I skipped the owners meeting again this year. Was at Salum Monday and Tuesday nights, didn’t see the cars lined up. I did run into two couples in the member services area that were canceling contracts they had signed the day before.

J Savino

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Celebrate Park
Vida Vacations & Grand Mayan lies

Thanks to everyone who posted reports about Vidanta scams. These reports helped me to request cancellation of the timeshare I purchased.

I would like to relate my experience to help other people who were also deceived by Vidanta.

I stayed with my family at the Grand Luxxe Jungle , in the Riviera Maya, from 01/14/19 to 01/26/19, using 2 exchange weeks of Interval International, who I have affiliation since 2013 with Westgate Resorts.

The room I stayed in Vidanta was of high luxury, with a full kitchen. In addition, there were several facilities, such as concierge, swimming pools, golf course, tennis courts, restaurants, shops... Although the price of restaurants and shopping products were above the average, the quality was very good. New facilities were being built. We were impressed with the size of the complex and the quality of the facilities. We could never imagine that this group would be able to apply so many scams to its consumers.

On 01/16/2019, we witnessed the presentation of Vidanta (performed by sales representative Jason Cachaguay). He explained the following advantages over the package we already had:

1) There would be no annuity payment (unlike our situation at Westgate Resorts). FALSE!!! There is an annual fee of USD 400.00 for maintenance of the Vida Lifestyle (kind of a travel agency);

2) When use the timeshare (transferring the week of Vidanta), weeks would duplicate (because of that we accept exchange our 2 weeks (Westgate), for 1 week (Vidanta) FALSE !!! This only occurs when transferring to SFX, for a limited time;

3) SFX had a larger inventory than Interval International and RCI together (a pyramid image was shown , where SFX was at the top). FALSE!!! Although not paying annuity in SFX (gold member), the transfer options are very limited.

We agreed to exchange our current timeshare with a USD 17,000 payment because we would not need to pay more annuities and the exchange options would be much higher. We have a presentation of Jason, where there were trading options in Brazil, Punta Cana, India or Greece.

We tried to use SFX in February/2019. Otherwise, the damage would be much greater.

After enabling membership with SFX, we discovered that there were no exchange options in Brazil. We also tried to make the reservation in Punta Cana (only option presented by Jason, who actually existed in SFX). Unfortunately, there was no availability in any week of 2019 (we tried every week).

We consulted SFX by email, which confirmed that there were no options in Brazil, unlike the Jason presentation.

At this point, we began our cancellation process with Vidanta on 02/25/2019.

We tried phone contact, without success. We sent an e-mail reporting the above facts and requesting the cancellation of the contract. We already paid USD 9,650.

We received the answer that the options of "exchange" in Brazil would be through Vida Lifestyle and Interval International. The Vidanta group reported that Jason's presentation is just a draft and is not part of his contract.

If our family was in a Grand Luxxe unit Jungle in the Vidanta Riviera Maya with an exchange made by Interval International, a company which we were affiliated, what would be our motivation for the exchange of our upper unit (double room with kitchen) for a lower unit (junior loft) with an additional payment of $ 17,000?

We conclude that the Vidanta group not only agrees with this type of approach, but also order its sellers to use any “not in the contract" artifacts and therefore would not have legal value, to make the sale effective.

We exchanged some messages by e-mail, where Fernanda Longo, from the Vidanta group, has offered progressive discounts to keep us with their product. However, we do not wish to do business with a company that even aware of the abusive and misleading practice of its representatives, claims that there is a signed contract and a contract verification record and that the "draft" has no legal value.

I formally submitted a registered letter (using DHL) to request the contract cancellation. This letter was received on 03/04/2019.

I made the complaint at PROFECO, stating that the group Vidanta acted in bad faith, in violation of Articles 32 and 92 of the Ley Federal de Proteccion al Consumidor because they sold a product that does not exist. I still have not received a response from PROFECO.

I filed a dispute with my credit card, reporting this history. The amounts paid have been reversed, but the process is still under review.

In all messages, Fernanda Longo informs that will not refund the amount already paid, threating us they will send the contract to collection agencies and saying that the dispute with the credit card takes about 6 months.

We are awaiting the outcome of this problem.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Vida Vacations ....On 01/16/2019,
We agreed to exchange our current timeshare with a USD 17,000 payment .....
At this point, we began our cancellation process with Vidanta on 02/25/2019.
We already paid USD 9,650.
The Vidanta group reported that Jason's presentation is just a draft ......
.....a lower unit (junior loft) with an additional payment of $ 17,000?
I filed a dispute with my credit card, reporting this history. The amounts paid have been reversed, but the process is still under review.
In all messages, Fernanda Longo informs that will not refund the amount already paid, .
We are awaiting the outcome of this problem.

if your credit card company has reversed all charges - I would suggest you request that they cancel the card number.

1) It appears you bought a Celebrate Park contract for $ 17,000 / with a deposit of $ 9650

2) Under Mexican law you had 5 days to review the written contract and you did not rescind with in this time .
What matters is what is WRITTEN .Anything the salesperson told you that is not written down
Is technically irrelevant .

3) Vidanta Member Sevices : it sounds like Fernanda Longo is the VMS person you are in contact with .Member Services adjudicates issues that member / owners raise regarding their contracts . VMS is not Vida Sales .VMS has a reputation of resolving issues that involve verbal sales commitments that differ from the written contract .

4) Trade ins - are rarely a good idea . I would suggest you read other TUG Mexican forum Threads on this topic. (you may choose to keep your Westgate contract / as far as Westgate is concerned - you likely remain the owner anyway .(at this time)

5) I suggest you read & reread the contract you have with Vidanta,
So you understand the details .

6) Good Luck / welcome to TUG .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Riviera Maya
Hi,
I just purchased Vidanta Private Residence membership yesterday, but I cannot cancel it today because they are saying this is not a timeshare contract. All they offered was $600 partial refund instead of $4000 that I paid with my credit card. What options do I have here? Is this really a done deal like they said? I sent an email to PROFECO, but no response yet. Any help will be really appreciated!

Kenny

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Call your credit card company immediately to dispute the charge and cancel card.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
To cover your basis, write the letter today rescinding. Send it by certified mail. Keep a copy.
Did you buy a "discovery" type program that is only good for 2 or so years using the vacation club? Is $4000 the total cost or just the down payment? I haven't really heard definitively if those types of programs are covered by rescission laws (in the US some states cover those programs and some do not) and by the time you find out through profecto it would be too late if you hadn't already sent the letter.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Riviera Maya
I am still in Mexico with limited resources. I fly back to the states tomorrow, and I will do both email/letter first thing next day. Any form I can download for the rescinding letter? It's a 200 wks program with no expiration with some Vidanta weeks for 7 yrs. All for $4000. I honestly thought this was another timeshare that I could cancel in 5 days. If I dispute my CC charge, they won't pursue any other way to collect the money? TX for all of your help!!!

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you dispute your charge with the CC you may win or you may not. It depends what the contract says. It may be that Mexican law does not cover those types of programs. I don't know. As long as you have rescinded you will be covered if they are covered by Mexican law. I doubt they will pursue it if your credit card sides with you for the dispute (not just the immediate one while they are looking into the matter). There is no form letter. Include your name, dates, the contract number, a copy of the first page and the signature page. Say you wish to rescind and you would like all your money returned. Make sure you sign it along with anyone else who was on the purchase contract.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you dispute your charge with the CC you may win or you may not. It depends what the contract says. It may be that Mexican law does not cover those types of programs. I don't know. As long as you have rescinded you will be covered if they are covered by Mexican law. I doubt they will pursue it if your credit card sides with you for the dispute (not just the immediate one while they are looking into the matter). There is no form letter. Include your name, dates, the contract number, a copy of the first page and the signature page. Say you wish to rescind and you would like all your money returned. Make sure you sign it along with anyone else who was on the purchase contract.
To reiterate ^^^^ That's all that is necessary.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Riviera Maya
TX a lot for your help. I am in the process of disputing the charge with CCC. Capital One is usually pretty good with these things, so I am optimistic, but I will post the updates in case some ppl are interested. Still no response from PROFECO yet.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Go over to Membership Services ASAP and talk to them - not Sales. They are generally in the same area with different offices.

Hate for you to waste another day of vacation, but it may be worth it. Sometimes the "exit" packages are harder to get out of than the regular contracts that are specifically covered by the 5 day period to rescind. Make waves - tell them you are going to post everywhere on the internet if they do not cancel your contract and refund your CC.

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Several years go we bought from Grand Mayan in Cabo. Afterwards but while still in Mexico I checked them out and they were being sued all over the USA for the very lie that convinced us to buy. I talked to some folks in Cabo and with their Guidance I typed up a recession letter, had it notarized in Cabo (multiple copies), and delivered one original to Grand Mayan. I went by myself with no Credit Cards to deliever the recission.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go over to Membership Services ASAP and talk to them - not Sales. They are generally in the same area with different offices.

Hate for you to waste another day of vacation, but it may be worth it. Sometimes the "exit" packages are harder to get out of than the regular contracts because they specifically are covered by the 5 day period to rescind. Make waves - tell them you are going to post everywhere on the internet if they do not cancel your contract and refund your CC.
I LIKE this suggestion. No one knows them any better than Phyllis. If you can possibly rescind, this will help you do it.

Jim

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Hi,
I just purchased Vidanta Private Residence membership yesterday,
but I cannot cancel it today because they are saying this is not a timeshare contract. All they offered was $600 partial refund instead of $4000 that I paid with my credit card. What options do I have here? Is this really a done deal like they say .....

Kenny
You bought an exit package -
Private Reserve Travel Club - offered by ICE (International Cruise & Excursions) at a Vidanta resort .

I have bumped 2 other TUG Mexican forum threads that relate to this product .
You may wish to read them .
[added: (May3) all 3 threads have been combined / thanks to Karen G - Mexican Forum Moderator.]

Do go to Member Services as suggested by Pittle/ Phyllis .
and please let us know the response / perhaps this forum can give you further input
to help you .

Last edited:
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Riviera Maya
I could not go to the member services as it was a travel day for me yesterday. I am back in CA now. I got a good sample rescindment letter from mescam.com, and I sent it as a registered(certified not available to mexico) mail and email. I also filed a complaint to profeco, and my CC dispute is in process. I think I covered all the basis. I really hope I get my money back! TX for all you guys help and support!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Riviera Maya
I finally talked to a Contract Specialist from Member Services just now, and we agreed that he will not fight my credit card dispute. He wants me to sign a paper, but not sure if I'm doing the right thing here... need some help!

Date: MAY 7 2019.

MUTUAL SETTLEMENT AND RELEASE
Dear,
This will confirm that we have recently discussed with you certain issues relating to the referenced Contract and that we have reached the following mutual agreement:
The Company will terminate the membership with no refund upon the receipt of the signed agreement.

The above is in the PDF he sent for me to sign. Here is the additional details that the Contract Specialist included in the email body as I asked him to

Hoping this email finds you well and thank you for taking the time to take my call. As to our conversation, we are going to proceed with the cancelation of your contract and since there has been a credit card dispute from your end we will be accepting the dispute so the document that I will send to you will state cancelation without refund because we will be accepting the dispute.

Since I have this additional detail in the email, I can sign this agreement, right? It kinda looks like I am accepting cancellation with no refund. It's just so hard to trust words from them at this point :(