• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Current happy HGVC owner... looking to add another property for our timeshare stable

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo, 2br Platinum
HGVC Craigendarroch, 2br Platinum
We current own a resale Flamingo 11,200 2BR platinum deed and thus far, it has been very good for us. We just got back last month from a 12day stint at HGVC Kingsland and had an absolute blast. Add that to a week last fall in Orlando and we still had a few points leftover from this years points. For the cost it was an absolute deal. We're now thinking we want to add another property to have another long vacation every year. My first thought was to buy another Flaming 2BR as it doesn't have a ROFR and has very low maintenance fees. HGVC properties also are pretty inexpensive as far as transfer fees, etc. too for seller to buyer transfers.

With that said, we'd potentially be open to buying another brand of timeshare. Understanding it comes down to where we want to spend our vacations and how often. We tend to stay most of our vacation days in Hawaii (Maui/Big island), but also spend a week or two each year in Vegas or Orlando. In the future, I honestly don't think things are going to change a lot...

As is HGVC checks those boxes.... anyone have thoughts on me buying the equiv. of what I have now just via another company? (HGVC 11,200 points):

Marriot? - Years ago I thought I read it was very expensive to transfer ownership via resales?

Wyndam - Not sure if this one is expensive to buy/transfer via resale or not?

HVC - Understanding that Diamond required ownership in the Hawaiian collection to stay there with no RCI/Interval transfer.... is this still a thing with Hilton ownership/transfer?

Other timeshares companies?

As I said, I'm very happy with HGVC ownership and I'd save a bit on RCI/HGVC annuals fees if I had multiple properties with Hilton, but am absolutely open to owning another brand if it treated me with the same value/flexibility that HGVC has...

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
If you do want to stay with HGVC, I'd suggest looking at other Vegas properties, Boulevard, in particular, as the MF ratio is generally lower than Flamingo. There are also some units at Kings Land with good ratios. I'd take a look at the Maintenance Fee sticky above to see where the sweet spots are.

We are also looking at Diamond ownership for staying in Maui and Kauai going forward. But have not done the full investigation as yet.

Cheers.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Good tip! I originally bought at Flamingo because Hilton couldn't stop the sale due to ROFR.... but Boulevard is definitely a bit less. I was also looking at Ocean tower, as it has low MF.... though after seeing it a few weeks ago, it's very old. Part of it is already under renovation, so I'm not sure if they're going to be doing a special assessment in the near future.

As far as Marriott transfers, this article details what I was talking about for costs. Marriot Transfer fees for points based resale

That would seem to kill all Marriott resales (unless spending near $10k for a decent amount of points)... but maybe not?

Last edited:

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Vegas, Orlando, Big Island - seems perfect for HGVC. There's even a Maui location now. Why change?

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
The old part of Ocean Tower are still hotel rooms, the renovation is the conversion to timeshare units. I doubt there will be any assessments. Sales are recent so you may have a hard time finding a resale there.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are happy with just staying in Waikiki, the Big Island, Vegas and Orlando there is no real reason to look outside of HGVC. Find the least expensive points (balancing initial price and MFs) and go from there.

Marriott (aside from Maui) is actually quite inexpensive to purchase resale because (unlike HGVC) the ability to elect a week into points doesn’t transfer to a new resale buyer. If you are interested in staying in Ko Olina on the west side of O’ahu or on Kauai this could be the right answer for you. We *love* Kauai and own every other year (EOY) weeks at Waiohai and Kauai Beach Club.

Maui Marriott weeks are more expensive, but if you prefer that island then buying at Maui Ocean Club could be for you. Another possibility would be to purchase a week at one of the Westin resorts in Kaanapali.

Lastly, if you do want to consider the HVC (ex-Diamond) Hawaiian resorts, keep in mind that resale buyers can only stay in their Home Collection (and Home Resort if applicable). Both the trust and individual resort deeds are *very* inexpensive (and hard to get rid of) because the MFs are quite high. And the HVC Hawaii Collection is something of a misnomer as most of the resorts in the Collection are on the mainland. Honestly, the only way I would consider buying into the Hawaii Collection is to buy a deeded week at a resort you want to visit frequently (e.g. The Point at Poipu on Kauai).

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
With that said, we'd potentially be open to buying another brand of timeshare. Understanding it comes down to where we want to spend our vacations and how often. We tend to stay most of our vacation days in Hawaii (Maui/Big island), but also spend a week or two each year in Vegas or Orlando. In the future, I honestly don't think things are going to change a lot...

Take a look at Vistana.

I use HGVC for Oahu and the Big Island and Vistana for Maui and Kauai. Similar to HGVC, after the home resort booking window ends, all Vistana resorts opens up for point based bookings called StarOptions for any number of nights (no minimum number of nights), in any unit size and you can checkin any day. Just make sure you buy a resale “mandatory” resort which comes with StarOptions and access to Vistana’s internal network of resorts.

Vistana also trades with a different exchange company (Interval International).

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
+1 We also own Vistana mandatory and it complements HGVC quite well. However, it can get a confusing at times to keep track of two systems. Staroptions work very similar to HGVC points but you must book at midnight at 12 months for home week, or 8 months for club so the system is more restrictive for popular properties such as Maui.

Reservations are time-stamped for view priority so no moving reservations around as in HGVC. Usually you book and move on.

Another option is to buy a Craigendarroch Lodge or a Florida Gulf resale. The points can be used and combined in HGVC but also in DeX and II which could get you more destinations (but these are week trades - if you want short stays this is not the best value).

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
+1 We also own Vistana mandatory and it complements HGVC quite well. However, it can get a confusing at times to keep track of two systems. Staroptions work very similar to HGVC points but you must book at midnight at 12 months for home week, or 8 months for club so the system is more restrictive for popular properties such as Maui.

Reservations are time-stamped for view priority so no moving reservations around as in HGVC. Usually you book and move on.

Another option is to buy a Craigendarroch Lodge or a Florida Gulf resale. The points can be used and combined in HGVC but also in DeX and II which could get you more destinations (but these are week trades - if you want short stays this is not the best value).
I've been considering an Eagle's Nest resale. Then you can stay, convert to points or it also trades in II.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vegas, Orlando, Big Island - seems perfect for HGVC. There's even a Maui location now. Why change?
That was my initial thought, but I was thinking having a different company provides some level of variety/choice.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
That was my initial thought, but I was thinking having a different company provides some level of variety/choice.
It does. I have HGV and Vistana and I think they compliment each other nicely. You can get into Vistana reasonably.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
I think unless you wanted to start going somewhere else, why learn and deal with a second system? I'd also throw in the Scotland HGVC Craig deed. Easy to buy from their resale office, not super expensive, and gets you an option to join Interval and Dex in addition to the normal RCI account.

And TBH, I think exchanging in Interval or Dex or RCI (and especially looking at Extra Vacations in RCI) is a smarter way to expand your "very occasional theoretical other location trips... Dex also supposedly has good cash stay options also.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Man, there are a ton of options available.

In the last few days, I've looked at Marriott and Wyndham, but hadn't really looked at Vistana at all. Digging into the Starwood system, I'm gonna definitely say it's a bit confusing due to the Westin/Sheradon relationship within the Starwood system. I'm clear on the mandatory resort (VSN) system for Staroptions, but unless I'm having a much harder time finding properties resale versus the big guys like HGVC and Wyndham.

Regarding Wyndham Club (not Workmark), I like the sheer quantity of locations in their network, but their maintenance fees to point value seems to be less valuable than HGVC. Right now, we have 11,200 HGVC points and have been able to stay 6 nights in Orlando/12 nights on the Big island/1.5 nights in Vegas (other 1.5 was using part of next years points). Looking at Wyndham points charts (which are much more scattered than HGVC) it appears I'd like something like 300k in Wyndham Club points for the same buying power, which comes with about 180% of the MFs. One plus for Wyndham club membership, it appears that is pays the RCI annual fees and can have multiple brands under 1 account. or at least that is what I've read in a few folks TUG posts.

The whole reason I posted this question in the HGVC forums was because I wanted to get others perspective. You've definitely given me some other options that I hadn't thought about... but I'm starting to think our best option is to just buy more into HGVC and exchange if we want something that isn't in the HGVC network. Obviously, that is why the RCI exists, but I haven't yet needed it.

jp10558

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Seaworld
Wyndham Smoky Mountains
Foxrun Lake Lure
Man, there are a ton of options available.

In the last few days, I've looked at Marriott and Wyndham, but hadn't really looked at Vistana at all. Digging into the Starwood system, I'm gonna definitely say it's a bit confusing due to the Westin/Sheradon relationship within the Starwood system. I'm clear on the mandatory resort (VSN) system for Staroptions, but unless I'm having a much harder time finding properties resale versus the big guys like HGVC and Wyndham.

Regarding Wyndham Club (not Workmark), I like the sheer quantity of locations in their network, but their maintenance fees to point value seems to be less valuable than HGVC. Right now, we have 11,200 HGVC points and have been able to stay 6 nights in Orlando/12 nights on the Big island/1.5 nights in Vegas (other 1.5 was using part of next years points). Looking at Wyndham points charts (which are much more scattered than HGVC) it appears I'd like something like 300k in Wyndham Club points for the same buying power, which comes with about 180% of the MFs. One plus for Wyndham club membership, it appears that is pays the RCI annual fees and can have multiple brands under 1 account. or at least that is what I've read in a few folks TUG posts.

The whole reason I posted this question in the HGVC forums was because I wanted to get others perspective. You've definitely given me some other options that I hadn't thought about... but I'm starting to think our best option is to just buy more into HGVC and exchange if we want something that isn't in the HGVC network. Obviously, that is why the RCI exists, but I haven't yet needed it.
Wyndham and HGVC pay the same RCI fees for you, and it is specific to the brand. I.e. you get a free RCI account and conversion from the HGVC or Wyndham currency into RCI for exchanges. You still pay the $299 exchange fee and resort fees.

Wyndham points values are so all over the place that I tend to look it up in my owners portal, but assuming you can do some lower season stays you don't need the very high points. I think I get ~ 2 weeks for 405,000 pts I have but it depends on when and where you go, and the size unit you want. The one upside to Wyndham is they don't charge booking fees, so I guess that saves you $69 currently vs HGVC, and HGVC went up $10 in the year or so I've had it, so that's something.

Wyndham is good for lots of locations, but it seemed like you said you didn't want that. I would certainly look at RCI before committing to MFs and a different system. And you could maximize the HGVC points IMHO with a Craig deed that you can then add Dex and II if you wanted to (though you'd only be able to exchange that Craig deed to each, you'd also get their cash offers, which I think Dex is better for). And the Craig MFs are like $1,100 for 11,200pts.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham and HGVC pay the same RCI fees for you, and it is specific to the brand. I.e. you get a free RCI account and conversion from the HGVC or Wyndham currency into RCI for exchanges. You still pay the $299 exchange fee and resort fees.

Wyndham points values are so all over the place that I tend to look it up in my owners portal, but assuming you can do some lower season stays you don't need the very high points. I think I get ~ 2 weeks for 405,000 pts I have but it depends on when and where you go, and the size unit you want. The one upside to Wyndham is they don't charge booking fees, so I guess that saves you $69 currently vs HGVC, and HGVC went up $10 in the year or so I've had it, so that's something.

Wyndham is good for lots of locations, but it seemed like you said you didn't want that. I would certainly look at RCI before committing to MFs and a different system. And you could maximize the HGVC points IMHO with a Craig deed that you can then add Dex and II if you wanted to (though you'd only be able to exchange that Craig deed to each, you'd also get their cash offers, which I think Dex is better for). And the Craig MFs are like $1,100 for 11,200pts.

I'll fully admit, while Craig has been mentioned in this thread, I fully skipped over the DEX association.

Craigendarroch lodge seems pretty interesting... appears that because it's a Hilton "managed" resort, not "owned" it has membership in II versus RCI? As folks have mentioned, It also includes a free membership in DEX, which is a Hilton exchange company that has zero annual fees attached, other than the exchange fees. What I find most interesting about this relationship, DEX appears to include HVC properties... which a HGVC member wouldn't normally be able to take advantage of with RCI (without HGVMax).

Article on TUG about DEX LINK

Am I reading this wrong? Seems like DEX is sort of a Hilton owned product that sort of/kind offers some of the same options as HGVMax (not directly, but access for members wise)?

You all are right, this seems like a better way to go for building hgvc points.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
Am I reading this wrong? Seems like DEX is sort of a Hilton owned product that sort of/kind offers some of the same options as HGVMax (not directly, but access for members wise)?
No, I don’t think that you are( eg. reading this wrong). But actually DeX is a DRI product (that is what all of the material says) which DRI was purchased by HGV. IMO, it has much better access to HVC and even Embarc resorts than HGvMax.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Can you purchase extra points without purchasing another timeshare property.?
Example: Liked purchasing between 4000 to 5000 points and at what costs?

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can you purchase extra points without purchasing another timeshare property.?
Example: Liked purchasing between 4000 to 5000 points and at what costs?
I suppose I could... But that would involve me taking to HGVC direct. I'm a resale person all the way and would never buy from the developer.

fishwithwater

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have about the same amount of points in HGVC, a vacation village week which I use to exchange for ski weeks where there is no HGVC, and a Worldmark contract because there are locations I like (specifically Moab and Park City). So I guess it depends on where you like and plan to go.

If you just want a few more days in HGVC, you can get a few of those Aspire credit cards, use the resort credits to pay the MF, and the points and free night certificates for weekend nights which take 2x points to stay at HGVC properties.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have about the same amount of points in HGVC, a vacation village week which I use to exchange for ski weeks where there is no HGVC, and a Worldmark contract because there are locations I like (specifically Moab and Park City). So I guess it depends on where you like and plan to go.

If you just want a few more days in HGVC, you can get a few of those Aspire credit cards, use the resort credits to pay the MF, and the points and free night certificates for weekend nights which take 2x points to stay at HGVC properties.
I'm a credit card incentive guy, but hadn't looked at this card as I didn't think MF qualified for the $400 back in Hilton resort credits. That with the free clear membership pays for the $550 fee.... Plus as you said, it includes free nights, etc on top.

I like this option, though I still think we need another property.

Last edited:

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
but hadn't looked at this card as I didn't think MF qualified for the $400 back in Hilton resort credits
I went from 1 Hilton Aspire card to 2 Hilton Aspire card and 1 Hilton Surpass card last year. The resort credits plus appropriate hilton honors points work correctly for all of our HGVC MFs. But, of course as noted previously, that doesn’t work for certain resorts (of which I don’t own).

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
I'll fully admit, while Craig has been mentioned in this thread, I fully skipped over the DEX association.
Exchanging in DeX certainly looks very promising. I know that several of us are very excited about it (of which I am one). But, it is a little early to tell because we haven’t actually stayed yet in any of our DeX booking (but @HuskerATL is soon). But also we have been given great advice from DRI/HVC members such as @cindyc and @NiteMaire on DeX exchange. So, I certainly feel confident. I just don’t know if we will be charge resort fees at each resort. Overall, I certainly do feel that it will expand our resorts selection and for much better than paying for HgvMax with better inventory.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
tend to stay most of our vacation days in Hawaii (Maui/Big island), but also spend a week or two each year in Vegas or Orlando. In the future, I honestly don't think things are going to change a lot...

As is HGVC checks those boxes
Sounds like you're thinking of paying for an option you really won't use much, which will cost you every year, just as owning an expiring stock option loses value every day. It'd make sense to diversify if you thought your trips would be near 50/50 Hilton vs another brand, but if not, it may be diworsification. More costs. More juggling.
Whenever these come up, the questions "Will you use it EVERY YEAR?" and "What is wrong with renting?" come to my mind.
If you are at the life-stage where 2 wks/yr could soon grow to 4 or 5 wks/yr, go for it. Otherwise, it may just be a shiny-new-thing beckoning.

Maui? Where do you stay recently? HGVC's Maui is neither here nor there to me, and over-priced. Is Maui the main attraction of a Marriott/Vistana?

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
I like Marbrisa with GPX, but Craigendarroch Lodges gives you access to RCI and Interval International. My next one might be there.

Why do we seem to collect these damn things?... and love them so much?

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like you're thinking of paying for an option you really won't use much, which will cost you every year, just as owning an expiring stock option loses value every day. It'd make sense to diversify if you thought your trips would be near 50/50 Hilton vs another brand, but if not, it may be diworsification. More costs. More juggling.
Whenever these come up, the questions "Will you use it EVERY YEAR?" and "What is wrong with renting?" come to my mind.
If you are at the life-stage where 2 wks/yr could soon grow to 4 or 5 wks/yr, go for it. Otherwise, it may just be a shiny-new-thing beckoning.

Maui? Where do you stay recently? HGVC's Maui is neither here nor there to me, and over-priced. Is Maui the main attraction of a Marriott/Vistana?
Kind of funny you mentioned that.... When I said I didn't think things were going to change, I meant location. I'm at point in my life where I want to add another 2 weeks of vacation to our existing annual vacation schedule (in our early 40s with no kids). At this point I'd like to be on one of the Hawaiian Island at least 1 month a year.

As for renting, we actually did that several years running. Each year spending about $2.5k for 13-14 days for lower quality condos. As for Maui, we've always stayed in Kihei... Just sort of our vibe there.