• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 testing/Quarantine [ multiple threads merged ]

j59kim

TUG Member
Reaction score
I will say that when we took our test on Saturday/Sunday morning at Walgreens we had our results by Monday/Tuesday evening, respectfully. Not sure how long your friend's stint is in the Bay Area before flying out. On another notes, we took our test for our Maui flight Monday at 9AM and had results by 9PM on yesterday, a 36 hour turnaround. I had to log in to get the results last night (which I was able to track) and got emailed the results this morning.

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
OK, here is the scoop for Maui, which I found by going in person to Walgreens [Lahaina] where a very nice woman gave me the actual information and the card attached below. (Despite what the resorts say, neither Longs or WG do this kind of testing].

Attached is the information for the Doctors On Call from WG. I called them and the woman could not have been nicer. The location nearest to WKORV and MOC is just up the road on Lower Honoapiilani Rd in the Times shopping center (and there is another site by OGG) . They are open M-F 8 am - 3 pm (last tests 2:30 pm).

Appointments are neither required or given. Just call them when you are in the parking lot and a nurse will come and take the tests. The cost is $95 to them and ~$125 for the lab that does the testing and they will take insurance information and try to bill insurance. They are set up to deliver and upload the results to Safe Travels Hawaii within the 72 hour window. Will be going next Wednesday 2/10/2021) so will report on how it goes.

And as an aside, the Times grocery store is a wonderful store, better than Safeway imho, there is a fish shop just up the road from there, a very good ABC store, and light traffic and plenty of parking everywhere.

We went today to Doctors On Call to get tested before our flight to Kauai on Saturday. The process took us about 35 minutes. We parked, called them (808-667-7676) and the nurse came to our car with the paperwork to fill out (4 pages with the usual name and insurance info and demographics). It is helpful to have a photo of your insurance card(s) and ID because she took those to the office while we were filling out the paperwork.

She came back, took our swabs, she collected the paperwork and were given proof that we had been there and that was it. She also gave us information about how to set up an account with Clinical Labs of Hawaii to get our results. She said 12-24 hours has been the turn around time but I will post ours when we get it. One correction to the above is that we get the results and upload them to Safe Travels Hawaii ourselves.

Testing seems to cost $95 for this process and $125 for the lab. They took all of the insurance information, but ours did not cover our SFO-OGG test so it probably won't cover this either.

And in a real piece of covid irony, the testing will cost about twice the amount of the "preferred seating" for the Hawaiian Air inter-island flight itself.

Last edited:

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had our tests done about 1 pm on a Wednesday and by the time we got up Thursday morning our swabs had been flown to HNL and our test results were posted on the Clinical Labs of Hawaii website (one must set up an account there to view and download results; they are not emailed).

Can't tell yet about insurance. They have not charged our card yet (24 hours later) which may mean that insurance covered it, or may just mean that they have not charged it yet.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@j59kim:
May I ask, at which Walgreens did you get your test? We are in SF East Bay area. We need to set an appointment in March.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the Walgreens site Luanne listed, look for locations that offer the Rapid (ID NOW) test. They are the ones marked with the red dot. My friend in Texas and my niece in Florida used those locations and had their test results back in less than 2 hours.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
At the Walgreens site Luanne listed, look for locations that offer the Rapid (ID NOW) test. They are the ones marked with the red dot. My friend in Texas and my niece in Florida used those locations and had their test results back in less than 2 hours.
As I said the ONLY tests in the East Bay, which is what HudsHut is looking for, it the diagnostic lab test.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Oahu to Maui question. Maybe I am over reading but this is what the Maui site say:
All inter-island travelers coming in from outside of Maui County must provide a pre-departure test 72 hours prior to departing for Maui County to be exempt from quarantine.

I assume they mean within 72 hours (e.g. 72 - 1 hour before before) not exactly 72hours or more than 72 hours?

willowglener

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the SF Bay Area folks, CityHealth Urgent Care takes insurance and you only pay $20 for HI documentation after insurance. I got my result back in about 28 hrs. They test all passengers without checking airline affiliation.

Daisy

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
For the SF Bay Area folks, CityHealth Urgent Care takes insurance and you only pay $20 for HI documentation after insurance. I got my result back in about 28 hrs. They test all passengers without checking airline affiliation.

Daisy
That’s great news! I was considering using them for our upcoming trip. 28 hours is great! Did you use the new location at SJC? Their website said they would chose the test for us—either the $20 fee or the $120 fee—even if we select the $20 one. And they would bill insurance for the rest. But if insurance won’t cover it, do you think they will send a bill?

j59kim

TUG Member
Reaction score
@j59kim:
May I ask, at which Walgreens did you get your test? We are in SF East Bay area. We need to set an appointment in March.

We took our test at the Walgreens in San Jose (Meridian). I'm sure you have Walgreens close by. Our next choice was City Health which charges $20 and is at OAK but it was a bit far for us. A great option for you though since you're in the SF East Bay!

willowglener

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s great news! I was considering using them for our upcoming trip. 28 hours is great! Did you use the new location at SJC? Their website said they would chose the test for us—either the $20 fee or the $120 fee—even if we select the $20 one. And they would bill insurance for the rest. But if insurance won’t cover it, do you think they will send a bill?

I used the SJC location. It is right at the economy parking lot 1. Drive thru. I paid $20 with my credit card and Kaiser probably picks up the rest. If not, I’ll deal with it then. My Kaiser test came back at around 40-some hours after test, right before I check in. To me that’s cutting too close.

For Hawaii it’s the standard PCR. $20 documentation fee.

willowglener

TUG Member
Reaction score
We took our test at the Walgreens in San Jose (Meridian). I'm sure you have Walgreens close by. Our next choice was City Health which charges $20 and is at OAK but it was a bit far for us. A great option for you though since you're in the SF East Bay!

I didn’t know how long Walgreens takes. My coworker recommended CityHealth and said the turnaround is fast so I chose it.

Daisy

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Oahu to Maui question. Maybe I am over reading but this is what the Maui site say:
All inter-island travelers coming in from outside of Maui County must provide a pre-departure test 72 hours prior to departing for Maui County to be exempt from quarantine.

I assume they mean within 72 hours (e.g. 72 - 1 hour before before) not exactly 72hours or more than 72 hours?

Your assumption is not correct.

Traveling Rules between islands in Hawaii
  • Travelers flying inter-island to Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii may bypass the mandatory 10-day quarantine if they take an FDA-authorized Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) from the certified CLIA lab not sooner than 72-hours prior to departure with a negative test result.
  • Inter-island travelers will be able to upload their negative test results when they complete their travel and health forms on the 'Safe Travels' digital system: travel.hawaii.gov. The traveler must have the test result with them upon arrival so airport screeners can review the result.
  • Travelers arriving on Maui or the Big Island of Hawaii who choose not to take an inter-island pre-travel test, or who do not arrive with a negative test from an inter-island trusted testing partner, will be subject to the 10-day inter-county quarantine.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Your assumption is not correct.
Ok, what part of assumption is not correct and also what is source of your info.
What you posted says no sooner than 72 hours, which was my assumption, but not the exact words on Maui County site.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza
Ok, what part of assumption is not correct and also what is source of your info.
What you posted says no sooner than 72 hours, which was my assumption, but not the exact words on Maui County site.
So sorry for the misinformation. It is a very ambiguous statement. This is from the Maui County site - if I were you, I would contact the county directly to get the details.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I used the SJC location. It is right at the economy parking lot 1. Drive thru. I paid $20 with my credit card and Kaiser probably picks up the rest. If not, I’ll deal with it then. My Kaiser test came back at around 40-some hours after test, right before I check in. To me that’s cutting too close.

Thanks for the reply. We have appointments with that CityHealth location. If anyone else is using CityHealth, I would love to know about those experiences.

Citrine

Reaction score

is there long line with appointment? I have schedule my test here on 3/17 at 3:45pm for 3/20 morning flight with SW. I also have Kaiser insuranc. Please let me know if Kaiser covered. Very appreciate your feed back.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the information @j59kim It's good to know that they are able to turn it around in time for travel.

Thanks to everyone who replied, your experiences are most helpful.

There is a new CityHealth Urgent Care in Dublin, which is quite close to us. I just made appointments there for the end of the month.

Both CVS and Walgreens limit appointments to 3 days into the future.

We're almost equidistant to OAK and SJC, with SJC being about 10 min farther.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Update on our experience with CityHealth at SJC. Took tests at 8:30 AM yesterday and received results by 8:20 PM today. 36 hour turnaround.

We actually had hoped that we would get our results by this afternoon, but that didn't happen. Our backup "insurance" plan was to go to Carbon Health at SJC at 5:20 PM today, because they say that all results will be available by 2:00 PM the next day, but when we got there, they told us that they have 2-hour on site results for $135, so we rescheduled those backup appointments for tomorrow, and now we don't need them. It would be a great option to have results in 2 hours if you need them quickly.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went today to Doctors On Call to get tested before our flight to Kauai on Saturday. The process took us about 35 minutes. We parked, called them (808-667-7676) and the nurse came to our car with the paperwork to fill out (4 pages with the usual name and insurance info and demographics). It is helpful to have a photo of your insurance card(s) and ID because she took those to the office while we were filling out the paperwork.

Testing seems to cost $95 for this process and $125 for the lab. They took all of the insurance information, but ours did not cover our SFO-OGG test so it probably won't cover this either.
No reason to use doctors on call. We just made an appointment directly at Clinical Labs location in Old Lahaina Center (next to foodland)
Walked in, qtip up the nose and less than 24 hours results on website. Only have to pay for test.
Made it to Kauai and no quarantine.
They use your other safe travel trips to confirm you were in state 72 hours before testing and Kauai

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
No reason to use doctors on call. We just made an appointment directly at Clinical Labs location in Old Lahaina Center (next to foodland)
Walked in, qtip up the nose and less than 24 hours results on website. Only have to pay for test.
Made it to Kauai and no quarantine.
They use your other safe travel trips to confirm you were in state 72 hours before testing and Kauai

Good to know. The resorts were of absolutely no help about testing sites.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went directly to Clinical Labs in Waiemea on Hawaii Island in November. Easy to make appointment, easy test, quick turnaround (even over Thanksgiving). Then over to Kauai. Got there 2 days before the shutdown!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
We have tests scheduled at walgreen Thursday afternoon in Reno. Planning on driving to SJC Saturday for Sunday morning flight. maybe we should make appointment for 2 hour carbon health test in SJC Saturday if walgreen drops the ball.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When we were making appointments, Carbon Health at SJC had a last appointment at 5:20 PM on weekdays and opened at 8:00 AM. Check their hours to see if they will work for you.