• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 testing/Quarantine [ multiple threads merged ]

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
At our departure airport (PDX), we were pre-cleared so free to go when we land in Maui in about 5-6 hrs. Hopefully it works. Will update later tonight.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
At our departure airport (PDX), we were pre-cleared so free to go when we land in Maui in about 5-6 hrs. Hopefully it works. Will update later tonight.

It should work. There have been at least a half dozen reports on TUG that it works.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Good news. We're flying to Maui in March and the Alaska recommended testing location is just down the street from my house.

bonjourashley

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Hawaiian Airlines just started the pre-clear program from some of their airports. I'm scheduled to fly them from OAK in March and I'm hoping it's rolled out by then. Seems so much easier than waiting in line upon arrival. Luv_Maui please tell us about your experience when you can.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
We landed 50 minutes early but our arrival gate has a plane departing in 20-30 minutes so we are waiting until they depart.

At PDX airport Alaska airlines checked our QR code, verified our negative covid test hard copy via scan, checked our IDs, did not ask to see our accommodations confirmation or return flight info as I volunteered it, and she appreciated my organization with everything she wanted promptly. Then she put on our wrists these green wristbands that state “Alaska | Hawaii pre-clear” and numbered

Will report how it goes once we get to OGG gate if it’s as simple as flashing our wristband and then going straight to baggage claim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was an Alaska airline preclear line . Followed it, Flashed our green pre-clear wristband and walked straight to baggage claim!

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have to quarantine at all?

There was an Alaska airline preclear line . Followed it, Flashed our green pre-clear wristband and walked straight to baggage claim!

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you have to quarantine at all?
No quarantine. We completed the state of Hawaii requirements to earn exemption from quarantine. Alaska airline’s pre-clear program helped simply save time by going through review at PDX Alaska airlines counter vs potentially backed up line at OGG. However, the Maui county required “aloha safe alert monitoring “ for exposure to covid notification is the unknown potential interruption to a trip if notified.

JanT

TUG Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you don't have to quarantine. For some reason, I thought they were back to a 10 or 14 day quarantine even if you had a negative test within 72 hours. I haven't been following closely to see what has changed, etc. Have a wonderful time and enjoy the sunshine and warmth! It's cloudy and rainy here in Texas today. So wishing we were back in Hawaii! Aloha!!

No quarantine. We completed the state of Hawaii requirements to earn exemption from quarantine. Alaska airline’s pre-clear program helped simply save time by going through review at PDX Alaska airlines counter vs potentially backed up line at OGG. However, the Maui county required “aloha safe alert monitoring “ for exposure to covid notification is the unknown potential interruption to a trip if notified.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Thanks for the update. We are flying on Alaska in early March out of SJC. Debating whether to use Carbon Health testing at SJC for $170 per person, or another option like Vault. Hoping there might be some less expensive options by then.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update. We are flying on Alaska in early March out of SJC. Debating whether to use Carbon Health testing at SJC for $170 per person, or another option like Vault. Hoping there might be some less expensive options by then.
I know many have had success with Vault, but I simply like the quicker response from Carbon health. For whatever reason so far, the one here in PDX gets certified results in our 2 times of use, within 20 minutes. I know expensive but I’m willing to pay the price for our valuable Hawaii trips. At least twice more this year.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
We enjoyed meeting you both at Ko Olina. We are excited for you to be heading back to Hawaii! We do not return until May/June. It makes me wish we lived on the west coast instead of Florida.

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Also traveling on Alaska from SJC to Maui in March. Would love to be able to get rapid test at SJC and preclear. Hope they come up with something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagila

TUG Member
Reaction score
Message we received from Alaska Airlines in preparation for our departure to Maui.

----------------

Alaska Airlines guests with negative COVID-19 test results are now able to pre-clear at the departure gate, and bypass airport screening upon arrival in Hawaii.

The State of Hawai‘i requires that all guests - even those that plan to quarantine - have a Safe Travels profile with trip details and a completed health questionnaire. You will not be able to exit the airport in Hawai’i without this. Unfortunately, we are unable to pre-clear guests that plan to quarantine.

To qualify for Pre-Clear before the departure of your Hawai'i-bound flight:

Download the AlohaSafe COVID-19 exposure app. It is recommended that guests traveling to Hawai‘i download the AlohaSafe Alert app - the State’s official exposure notification application, to help mitigate the spread of COVID-19. For guests traveling to Maui, download of the app or the GAEN equivalent app from your home state is required or you will be required to quarantine for 10 days, or the length of your stay, whichever is shorter.

When you arrive at the airport for your Hawai'i-bound flight, please see an Alaska Airlines agent at the counter or departure gate. The agent will verify that your Safe Travels profile is updated with your trip details and documents, and provide you with a Pre-Clear wristband.

Your Pre-Clear wristband will allow you to skip airport arrival screening in Hawai‘i. However, your lodging and car rental company may still need to verify the QR code from your Safe Travels profile.

Please refresh your Safe Travels profile after receiving your wristband to update your QR code.

If your negative test results are still pending and we are unable to pre-clear you, we can move you to the next available flight. Otherwise, you will be required to self-quarantine on arrival in Hawai'i for 10 days or the duration of your stay, whichever is shorter. Testing or further document verification will not be available upon arrival in Hawai'i.

If you are planning or are required to quarantine, be prepared to verify quarantine location. Vacation rentals are not permitted as a quarantine location.

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Mahalo,

Alaska Airlines

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We enjoyed meeting you both at Ko Olina. We are excited for you to be heading back to Hawaii! We do not return until May/June. It makes me wish we lived on the west coast instead of Florida.

At least you have easy access to the Caribbean! Long haul from California (although grateful for an easy trip to Hawaii - in Maui now).

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Just got back yesterday from MCO. Took the Walgreens 1 hour ID Now test and got emailed results within 50 min. Uploaded the results to the Hawaii Covid website and report was verified negative. Within 24 hours of departure to Hawaii filled out the questionnaire on the Hawaii website. Immediately got emailed the QR code after filling it out.

In SFO United had about 8 tables that would verify your QR code there instead of getting off the plane in HNL. After verification got a wristband that signifies you are cleared to go when landing. On arrival people with bands went straight to baggage claim and if you did not have a pre clearance band you went to a line to get verified. Quiet painless and made it like the old days when you walked off the jetway straight to your ride or baggage claim.

amy241

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Sanibel Cottages (Affiliate)
Marriott Ko ‘Olina
Just got back yesterday from MCO. Took the Walgreens 1 hour ID Now test and got emailed results within 50 min. Uploaded the results to the Hawaii Covid website and report was verified negative. Within 24 hours of departure to Hawaii filled out the questionnaire on the Hawaii website. Immediately got emailed the QR code after filling it out.

In SFO United had about 8 tables that would verify your QR code there instead of getting off the plane in HNL. After verification got a wristband that signifies you are cleared to go when landing. On arrival people with bands went straight to baggage claim and if you did not have a pre clearance band you went to a line to get verified. Quiet painless and made it like the old days when you walked off the jetway straight to your ride or baggage claim.

It sounds like you connected through SFO On United. Hawaiian Air will soon be offering a nonstop to MCO. This new pre-clear program sounds great!

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
It was very convenient. No rush or waiting at HNL. People show up to departure gate at SFO different times so no long waits there. United only operates the pre check 90 minutes before flight starts boarding. Our connector got there 30 min before SFO leg boarding so no lines. Fast and very convenient compared to the check at HNL when everyone is getting off plane.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
It was very convenient. No rush or waiting at HNL. People show up to departure gate at SFO different times so no long waits there. United only operates the pre check 90 minutes before flight starts boarding. Our connector got there 30 min before SFO leg boarding so no lines. Fast and very convenient compared to the check at HNL when everyone is getting off plane.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
If airlines can help reduce hassle of coming to Hawaii, then more tourists will come. So all in favor of “pre-clear” before you board your flight. But......have to leave Maui in 2 days. Won’t be back until late June. But considered coming back for March-May, but decided against.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We are hoping we can make it there next month. My biggest worry is getting the test results back in time and onto four separate adult phones/apps. I am wondering if anything will change before then, so I haven't signed up for Safe Travels yet or loaded the tracking app. Is there any reason to do this a month in advance?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
We are hoping we can make it there next month. My biggest worry is getting the test results back in time and onto four separate adult phones/apps. I am wondering if anything will change before then, so I haven't signed up for Safe Travels yet or loaded the tracking app. Is there any reason to do this a month in advance?

We are heading to Maui this weekend, just did our pre travel test this morning with the Hawaiian Airlines partner at SJC. They promise results in 36 hours.

I don't see any reason to create your safe travels account particularly early, we did our about 2 weeks prior to the trip.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My niece just came to visit and used the Walgreens Rapid Test (IDNOW, on their site). The test results came back within two hours or so. Not all Walgreens have the rapid test. You need to look in https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing for the centers in your area. The ones with IDNOW testing have a red circle beside them.

I don't see any negatives to registering each passenger at the Safe Travels site now, though I don't think you lose anything by waiting a little. You shouldn't wait until the last minute either. Whenever you do it, you will know what to expect and can get familiar with how the site operates. Even if you add a trip, you can delete it if things change. You will have to upload pictures of everyone in the Documents section of the site, then associate them with the trip. I think getting things done early will avoid the stress of running into things that aren't clear from reading the web site.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx

When I searched for the Walgreens ID (rapid) test, it showed me a map that only showed test locations in the Phoenix area and in the Las Vegas area. Is their website messed up or are these the only locations for the rapid test?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
When I searched for the Walgreens ID (rapid) test, it showed me a map that only showed test locations in the Phoenix area and in the Las Vegas area. Is their website messed up or are these the only locations for the rapid test?

Those tests are available pretty much nationwide but limited locations. It does appear there are none in California for some reason, at least when I just searched.