• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 testing/Quarantine [ multiple threads merged ]

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
we did the test at Walgreens in Reno Thursday afternoon and had our result back in 2 hours. Just loaded our info into Safe traves webste and got out QR code back this morning. We take off for Maui tomorrow from SJC.

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned from getting tested at Walgreens. Very quick and easy. Now waiting for the results. The guy said we should have results within 24 hours. We are SO ready to go to Mau!

californiagirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are negative!!! Holy cow we got our results less than an hour from getting the test. Covid numbers have plummeted in our area so they are testing a fraction of the number of people compared with the peak. Hawaii here we come!

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just returned. Three Islands and traveling with someone who recovered from Covid.
Negative test to Hawaii, then he threw an inconclusive in Maui.
Lab didn't seem to know what to do.
Luckily on a Sunday, filed for Covid Recovered exemption and got it back in less than an hour.
DOH called Monday and asked for same docs to take off the watch list.

If you are Covid Recovered and Have a Positive NAAT test and Letter from Doctor you can apply for exemption
See AG page for all the details: https://ag.hawaii.gov/travelexemption/
The form is somewhat confusing, when it asks reason for exemption just put Covid Recovered
They will send you back an email approval it has a exemption code you put on the travel form you fill out (And if you are wondering what that exemption code field on the travel hawaii site is for). Enter code and press Verify button. It is only good for the date and trip you specify so you will have to fill out an exemption for each flight.

We applied again to go Maui to Kauai and got turned down first time for exemption (filled out some fields wrong I think)
Applied again but also did test since we didn't get response. Test was negative then hour later got back exemption form approved.
Used Negative test since that was easier.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wanted to report back that CityHealth Urgent Care in Dublin was awesome. They billed insurance. Charged us $20 "admin fee". We received results in just under 24 hours!! Yippee

pspercy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club x2
DC points

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
That's just guidance, though. Hawaii can still require negative tests to avoid the mandatory quarantine, and I wouldn't expect them to change that stance unless they get that passport program off the group for those who can prove that they've been vaccinated.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
Maui is going to require a second mandatory rapid test upon arrival. The mayor says that they want to find out what the traveler positive test rate is. It will take them at least 10 days (he says) to get it up and running.

NTP66

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club (x2)
Not a fan, but if it's not something I'm going to have to pay for, I don't care. Whatever it takes to get me on my way on vacation.

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
This is a better article about the mandatory second test on Maui:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I think that the standard tests are pretty accurate BUT they aren't necessary 100% accurate. There may be some false negatives and some false positives. It is my opinion that the Rapid tests (the ones that may only take a few minutes) have a higher false rate. So, there may be people arriving who are covid free who show up with the Rapid test as a false positive. So, I wonder what the protocol for that might be? That is, are they put on the next plane back to the mainland, given a second Rapid test or given a standard PCR test and quarantined until the results are available.

In some respect, doing a standard PCR test (72 hours before departure) followed by a Rapid test upon arrival may reveal more about the false positive accuracy of the Rapid test than reveal the percent of infected people arriving.

10spro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DSV-I (x3)
Marriott DC Points
Westin WKORV OFD
Maui is going to require a second mandatory rapid test upon arrival. The mayor says that they want to find out what the traveler positive test rate is. It will take them at least 10 days (he says) to get it up and running.

It's tough to know the right thing. We are vaccinated, scheduled for our pre-travel test, and now have to do a 2nd test when we get there. We got stuck for 2+ hours in that line at the airport back in December, just to show the guy our negative result that was already in SafeTravels and get the green paper. I can't imagine how long the line will be now, having to show results of the first test, wait in another line to get the second test, wait in another line to get that result...all the while my luggage is going around the carousel unsupervised. I'm going online now to see what other flights get there earlier in the morning, hoping to beat the crowds.

rgong

TUG Member
Reaction score
Headed to the Big Island in mid-May! Sorry if this has already been answered, but is the Walgreens "ID Now" Rapid test considered a Nucleic Acid Amplification Test (NAAT) that is accepted by Hawaii? And what is the cost of this test for travel? Also, has anyone flown to the Big Island recently (from the mainland), and how bad is the wait at the airport after deplaning for pre-test verification and any additional post-arrival testing?

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Walgreens ID NOW test is accepted in Hawaii. My neighbor and niece used them this past February when they visited us while we were there. Walgreens is a trusted partner. I don't know the cost.