• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 testing/Quarantine [ multiple threads merged ]

Mr. Vker

Reaction score
"Do you have to quarantine in the US...?"

Hawaii is in the US. No return covid test. No quarantine unless required by employer or local ordnance.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
What island are you flying to because it makes a difference. Kaua'i went on its own and they are not part of the Preferred Provider Program. Kaua'i will accept any FDA approved test molecular or antigen. Several CVS stores in the area give a free test and you have the results in 30 minutes. There is a CVS store in Eagan that offers the test; you do have to make a reservation. There is a place RapidRx, also in Eagan, that gives results in 15 minutes, but the test is $115. Reservations required.

Read the requirements for each island very carefully and follow them to the letter!
If you want to avoid quarantine in Kauai you have to be in Antplace (other than Kauai) in State of Hawaii first, wait 72 hours and then get another test within 72 hours of travel to Kauai. It’s a mess. Reason we are not going there first. Also, inter-island tests to avoid quarantine must be trusted. The any test you mentioned is if you are doing resort bubble or other Kauai limited quarantine.

Last edited:

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We are heading to Maui this weekend, just did our pre travel test this morning with the Hawaiian Airlines partner at SJC. They promise results in 36 hours.

I don't see any reason to create your safe travels account particularly early, we did our about 2 weeks prior to the trip.

Thanks for your reply. I hope that everything went smoothly for you this weekend.

We created our four Safe Travels accounts today and loaded all the information we have so far. I didn't see a place under Documents to upload any photos, but will look again. We also installed the AlohaSafe Alerts app on our four phones.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't see any negatives to registering each passenger at the Safe Travels site now, though I don't think you lose anything by waiting a little. You shouldn't wait until the last minute either. Whenever you do it, you will know what to expect and can get familiar with how the site operates. Even if you add a trip, you can delete it if things change. You will have to upload pictures of everyone in the Documents section of the site, then associate them with the trip. I think getting things done early will avoid the stress of running into things that aren't clear from reading the web site.

Thank you for your advice. We make all the accounts today and when we clicked on Documents, there wasn't any place that indicated we should load photos. I wonder if it shows up closer to our trip.

luv_maui

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your advice. We make all the accounts today and when we clicked on Documents, there wasn't any place that indicated we should load photos. I wonder if it shows up closer to our trip.
Did you go to documents section, then click on “Upload”

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Not all Walgreens offers the rapid test. In Hawaii none of the Walgreens offers the rapid test. Depends on the area.
When I first looked on the Walgreen's site, I only saw Las Vegas and Phoenix. Then I saw a tiny "click for more" symbol. So I clicked and it showed me 10 more sites. I think that I had to click 47 times to get the complete list of 480 sites. BUT, there is not a single rapid test site in California. I suspect that it has something to do with a goofy Ca. restriction/law/tax and isn't Walgreen's fault.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

Go to Documents, then click on Upload File. On the next screen, there is a drop down for Document Type. The types include COVID Test Result and Recent Photo of Yourself, along with Student Letter and Military Orders.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you go to documents section, then click on “Upload”

Thank you, luv_maui and Henry M. It wasn't clear that Upload was for more than just Covid test results, so I didn't initially click on it. Are there any requirements for the photos? We will likely just take them on our phones, if there isn't a size limitation.

We have decided to go with Carbon Health for our tests and are getting ready to schedule the four time slots. I can't find information on the Carbon Health site about a cancellation/refund policy. Do they require payment upfront? I am wondering what happens if we can't go for some reason, if Alaska changes the flight time, etc. I sent them a message and I called them today. I was on hold for 25 minutes and then it went right to voicemail, even though the repeating message told me I was next in line. So I don't have any answers yet.

dannybaker

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We are planning a trip in May and need to know does insurance pay for testing? Or do you pay? We have Cvs and walgreens Near our home. Is there a preferred place to get tested?

thank you

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe check with the Hawaii tourism folks as you get closer to departure- this changes all the time. I think I read here in the TUG Either Hawaii or Covid forums that Walgreens was acceptable. They email you a QR code you show to authorities when you arrive in Hawaii. Then, yopu have to do something similar coming home.
As to insurance covering it, For travel purposes I doubt it's covered. I had a hospital procedure recently that required a negative Covid test within 48 hours and it was covered, but for travel......doubtful. Check with your insurance.

Jim

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would check if there is a Walgreen's near you that does the ID NOW Rapid Test. It only takes a couple of hours to get an e-mail with the result. They also do a different test but that one takes longer to get results. Not all Walgreens locations have the ID NOW test.

Check at https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing. Only the locations labeled with a red circle have the rapid test.

CVS no longer guarantees results in time for travel to Hawaii. IF there's a Walgreen's with the ID NOW test close to you, I'd go for that.

My insurance program covers COVID testing, provided I've met my yearly deductible. I suppose it varies by program. I do not need to have a second test to go back to the mainland. Some states may require you to quarantine, but I am not aware of any that require a COVID test before arrival, other than Hawaii.

Things do change over time, so Jim's suggestion to check close to your departure date is important.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
And if you have to pay remember that you can use FSA or HSA dollars so that helps a little.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
And if you have to pay remember that you can use FSA or HSA dollars so that helps a little.
If you have them.

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Most insurance companies won't pay for the test if it's for travel.

luv_maui

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, luv_maui and Henry M. It wasn't clear that Upload was for more than just Covid test results, so I didn't initially click on it. Are there any requirements for the photos? We will likely just take them on our phones, if there isn't a size limitation.

We have decided to go with Carbon Health for our tests and are getting ready to schedule the four time slots. I can't find information on the Carbon Health site about a cancellation/refund policy. Do they require payment upfront? I am wondering what happens if we can't go for some reason, if Alaska changes the flight time, etc. I sent them a message and I called them today. I was on hold for 25 minutes and then it went right to voicemail, even though the repeating message told me I was next in line. So I don't have any answers yet.
1) we just uploaded nice head shot using our phones like a passport photo. No issues
2) no payment up front but I think there’s a $50 cancellation fee, but I suppose you could keep pushing out the COVID test date until you go to Hawaii. We cancelled one trip and pushed our date out for COVID test
3) airlines keep changing times and although I’ve heard within 72 hrs before departure isn’t always followed closely, I don’t risk it and always make sure my test is 72 hrs or less from scheduled departure. Here in Oregon carbon health returns test results within 2 hrs but usually we have them right after we take test on our way home, so within 20 minutes. So we take our test 2 days before departure instead of 3 so no issues no matter time flight leaves unless it’s pushed back a full day

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
1) we just uploaded nice head shot using our phones like a passport photo. No issues
2) no payment up front but I think there’s a $50 cancellation fee, but I suppose you could keep pushing out the COVID test date until you go to Hawaii. We cancelled one trip and pushed our date out for COVID test
3) airlines keep changing times and although I’ve heard within 72 hrs before departure isn’t always followed closely, I don’t risk it and always make sure my test is 72 hrs or less from scheduled departure. Here in Oregon carbon health returns test results within 2 hrs but usually we have them right after we take test on our way home, so within 20 minutes. So we take our test 2 days before departure instead of 3 so no issues no matter time flight leaves unless it’s pushed back a full day

Thanks for your reply. We just made four Carbon accounts and four appointments for 72 hours before departure. The system didn't insist that we load our credit card information, so we chose the option to add it later. The email confirmations we received had options for cancelling or rescheduling, so maybe there isn't a $50 cancellation fee. Especially if they don't have our credit card information? I emailed customer support to ask them, so I will see if they reply.

I wish that Worksite Labs would do testing for other airlines (it's exclusive to Hawaiian Airlines right now). They charge $90, and results look like they will also be timely. That would save us 4x$80! Maybe they will change their policy before we need to be tested, who knows!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our granddaughter's classmate was supposed to go to Hawaii yesterday but she tested positive for Covid and their entire family cancelled their trip. And our granddaughter is quarantining herself because their Maui trip is 3/13.

Denise L

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We are heading to Maui this weekend, just did our pre travel test this morning with the Hawaiian Airlines partner at SJC. They promise results in 36 hours.

I don't see any reason to create your safe travels account particularly early, we did our about 2 weeks prior to the trip.

1Kflyerguy, did you get your results back in 36 hours, as promised? How was the testing experience? We want to fly Hawaiian Airlines next, so I am curious as to how it went. Also, I think Hawaiian has the pre-clear wristband option like Alaska does, so I assume you were able to walk right off of the plane and start your vacation!

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
Has anyone travelled with kids less than 5 years old? I know they don’t need the testing. Is there any other requirement? How would they get their QR code? Thanks

stslc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mountainside, MOC Sequel
Has anyone travelled with kids less than 5 years old? I know they don’t need the testing. Is there any other requirement? How would they get their QR code? Thanks
You add minors to your profile on the safe travels site.

liongate88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC (AUL), WKV, SVV, HGVC (BLVD, GW, Elara), HRC , WM
You add minors to your profile on the safe travels site.
Would they be issued a QR code? They did not elaborate much on their website other than saying “less the 5 yo does not need PCR testing”

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
1Kflyerguy, did you get your results back in 36 hours, as promised? How was the testing experience? We want to fly Hawaiian Airlines next, so I am curious as to how it went. Also, I think Hawaiian has the pre-clear wristband option like Alaska does, so I assume you were able to walk right off of the plane and start your vacation!

Hawaiian is starting the pre-clear, but it was not in place at San Jose yet. I have not heard a data announced for San Jose with Hawaiian. The pre-clear would be nice, but to be honest even without the pre-clear the wait in OGG was not bad.

As for using the Hawaiian test partner, they worked out well. My wife's tests came back in just under 24 hours, mine took right until 36 hours or so. The tests were done as self administered drive-up in old parking area at the airport. I noticed an issue with my birthdate on the paperwork, which they corrected prior to administering the test. That might have caused the delay for my results, not sure. I was getting worried and emailed the support at around 34 hours, and they got back with the results right at 36 hours or so.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Friend flying connecting in San Jose from Dallas. Is worried that Walgreens s may not be fast enough because of weekend and wants plan B. Carenow is not on Hawaii lab list but is the official partner of American Airlines (which is listed) and both state works for Hawaii travel. But she is flying SWA so will AA partner still count?

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
She called and they said you had to have an AA ticket to schedule the test for anyone who is wondering.