• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

COVID-19 testing/Quarantine [ multiple threads merged ]

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
When I searched for the Walgreens ID (rapid) test, it showed me a map that only showed test locations in the Phoenix area and in the Las Vegas area. Is their website messed up or are these the only locations for the rapid test?
Not all Walgreens offers the rapid test. In Hawaii none of the Walgreens offers the rapid test. Depends on the area.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
MSP to Hawaii. Anyone done it and recommend good place to get tested?
Flying my daughter and since Delta isn't a Hawaii partner they are trying to figure out safest place to get tested so they have results in time.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Okay, I have to ask. What is MSP?

zentraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Four Seasons Residence Club
We are flying OGG-LIH from Ka'anapali at the end of next week and I am having trouble easily finding out where we can get reliably tested within our 72 hour window. I have asked for a list of local approved test sites at both WKORV and MOC and got general and unless info. (it is clear that they want to do with this specific question.) The Longs and WG websites are also not helpful.

Before I re-invent the wheel, has anyone done this recently? I will post results when I figure them out and others can post sites on Maui, Kauai and Oahu for these purposes. Oahu apparently does NOT need a 72 hour test inter-island, but the others do. When I flew here United had testing at SFO which was a breeze. Apparently nothing like it with Hawaiian Air for OGG.

Last edited:

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aloha Zen

We did KOA-LIH end of November and it was tricky. We went to a lab in Waiemea. I think I used a search on the travel Hawaii site. It all worked but was a close call on the timing. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Go to https://www.walgreens.com/findcare/covid19/testing?ban=covid_vanity_testing and find a Walgreen's location near you that offers the Rapid Diagnostic Test (ID NOW). The locations that do that are marked with a red circle. The results for those tests take a couple of hours to come back. Note that not all Walgreen's provide the rapid test.
On the page it say "Test results for travel purposes cannot be guaranteed in time for travel. "
That was her concern.

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Oahu is pretty easy, there is even a place at airport. Have same Concern about Maui. Hope someone who has been there knows vs just what the site says.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
On the page it say "Test results for travel purposes cannot be guaranteed in time for travel. "
That was her concern.

I believe that is primarily for the PCR test not the ID NOW test. People have been reporting ID NOW test results being received in 3-24 hours. It appears there are several Walgreen's locations in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area performing the ID NOW test, actually more than in most metropolitan areas.

Henry M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
My niece took that test in Tampa and had results in about 2 hours. I think Controller1 is right and the delay refers to the other type of test some of their locations do.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
The Vault test is free if you live in MN. The first time I did Vault, they lost my test. The last two times the results were ready the next day. Vault has a processing center in Oakdale, MN so it no longer has to fly overnight to New Jersey to be processed...it's just a short drive for the UPS driver so you shouldn't have to worry about delays in getting your test to the processing center.

Pipercub925

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was on the phone with someone at Vistana with a timeshare question, and the woman I was speaking with said that President Biden recently made it where anyone returning to the US mainland from Hawaii has to quarantine for 14 days once they are back home. I've looked online, and on the TUG forum and I see there is information about Canadians quarantine restrictions and having to quarantine in hotels, and I found information online about international travelers having to quarantine when entering the US, as well as US citizens returning home after traveling internationally, but I cannot find anything specifically pertaining to traveling to and from the mainland to Hawaii. Does anyone know anything about this or know if its true or not? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I know certain states (mine for instance, New Mexico) requires everyone coming in from out of state, even residents, to quarantine. You might want to check for your state.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Same here in California. We quarantined end of December into January. Had to change several medical appointments.

scottann92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Please help me understand, you have to get tested within a 72 hour window before arriving at Kauai correct? Just like the window before flying to Hawaii. Because on the Beat of Hawaii, someone had said you can't even get tested till the 72 hour window is up. Just want to clarify before travel. Please help

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
OK, here is the scoop for Maui, which I found by going in person to Walgreens [Lahaina] where a very nice woman gave me the actual information and the card attached below. (Despite what the resorts say, neither Longs or WG do this kind of testing].

Attached is the information for the Doctors On Call from WG. I called them and the woman could not have been nicer. The location nearest to WKORV and MOC is just up the road on Lower Honoapiilani Rd in the Times shopping center (and there is another site by OGG) . They are open M-F 8 am - 3 pm.

Appointments are neither required or given. Just call them when you are in the parking lot and a nurse will come and take the tests. The cost is $75 to them and ~$130 for the lab that does the testing and they will take insurance information and try to bill insurance. They are set up to deliver and upload the results to Safe Travels Hawaii within the 72 hour window. Will be going next Wednesday 2/10/2021) so will report on how it goes.

And as an aside, the Times grocery store is a wonderful store, better than Safeway imho, there is a fish shop just up the road from there, a very good ABC store, and light traffic and plenty of parking everywhere.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 27

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Same here in California. We quarantined end of December into January. Had to change several medical appointments.

This is a suggestion in California, not an order.

Lv2Trvl

TUG Member
Reaction score
True. But I chose not to fib to my oncologist and dentist about where I was. want them on my side . Needed a root canal and crown after losing half a tooth December 1st on Kauai. Six month cancer check up got rescheduled 12/22 to next week. So I followed the California requests. But really had a terrific month on Hawaii and Kauai islands! Looking forward to our next trip!

zentraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Please help me understand, you have to get tested within a 72 hour window before arriving at Kauai correct? Just like the window before flying to Hawaii. Because on the Beat of Hawaii, someone had said you can't even get tested till the 72 hour window is up. Just want to clarify before travel. Please help

Yes, my understanding is that if you are doing inter-island traveling you need the same 72 hour negative test window. Just like flying from SFO or anywhere in the mainland into the any of the islands.

I think Oahu is not requiring it, i.e. if we were flying Maui to Oahu we would be OK, but Maui to Kauai we need the test. The rules change frequently so double check before your particular travel dates.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
When flying to Kauai, there are apparently two separate 72-hour windows.

First, you need to be physically present in the State of Hawaii for at least 72 hours before you can test. So you can't just test right after landing in Maui. You have to wait at least 72 hours.

Second, you need to test within 72 hours of your flight to Kauai.

Foggy1

TUG Member
Reaction score
True. But I chose not to fib to my oncologist and dentist about where I was. want them on my side . Needed a root canal and crown after losing half a tooth December 1st on Kauai. Six month cancer check up got rescheduled 12/22 to next week. So I followed the California requests. But really had a terrific month on Hawaii and Kauai islands! Looking forward to our next trip!

The same “suggestion” was issued by Washington in Nov and I had to reschedule 3 Medical appointments and a hair cut(?) by 14 days to meet the “suggestion.”

Since then, I’ve had 8 Eye and Dental appointment where, in addition to Temp. checks and several other health related questions, one constant is, “Have you been out of State during the last 14 days?”

We are leaving for Maui in a week and ALL of my follow up appointments after I return were scheduled for 14 days after return.

While the “14 day quarantine is only a suggestion”, the Medical people are taking it seriously…..as we all should.

scottann92

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you so much, I didn't know there were two separate windows.
When flying to Kauai, there are apparently two separate 72-hour windows.

First, you need to be physically present in the State of Hawaii for at least 72 hours before you can test. So you can't just test right after landing in Maui. You have to wait at least 72 hours.

Second, you need to test within 72 hours of your flight to Kauai.

Poobah

TUG Member
Reaction score
What island are you flying to because it makes a difference. Kaua'i went on its own and they are not part of the Preferred Provider Program. Kaua'i will accept any FDA approved test molecular or antigen. Several CVS stores in the area give a free test and you have the results in 30 minutes. There is a CVS store in Eagan that offers the test; you do have to make a reservation. There is a place RapidRx, also in Eagan, that gives results in 15 minutes, but the test is $115. Reservations required.

Read the requirements for each island very carefully and follow them to the letter!