• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Complimenting HGVC with other Timeshares

4TimeAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbrisa, Kohala
It’s accepted and common, even in the hotel industry. Many car rental companies require you to be in their 20’s.
There seem to be a couple of companies that just want the money and a few that really want to keep the policy alive but can be flexible. I had never thought of this though and appreciate the heads up.

Kids generally want to travel with parents so it’s free for them and I suspect that will be the trend here.

The main concern seems to be minibars and damage potential. A credit card in their name with possibly a parent phone call to be sure there will be no issues should solve the problem. My thought is worst case, you call it a business meeting and give them a business card.

Some places like Japan apparently 20 is the age of majority. Oh, the things we learn from the internet.

The Auto issue is the youthful drive challenge and based on liability, so I get that. There might be a way around that also, but I don't intend to solve that one!

GT75

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
HGVC GS requires a minimum age of 18.
Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 8.00.44 AM.png

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
Thanks so much. This is the information I was looking for. Appreciate it,

You're welcome. :)

For anyone interested in WorldMark, definitely spend some time on the TUG WorldMark Forum ;)

Here are a few WM threads

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinion Pointe, HGVC The Bay Club, HGVC Elara, Worldmark

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Worldmark is a pure points system - called Worldmark Credits, no deeds. There are a few resorts where you can buy a deeded ownership, but those deeds only allow you to book at that resort - not other WM properties.

Resale buyers are exactly the same in terms of rights and benefits provided by the Club - same WM resorts they can book, same ability to book 13 months out at all resorts, same ability to exchange with II and/or RCI, and same cash booking options. Buying Worldmark Credits directly from Wyndham offers a few benefits that you do not receive if you buy resale - access to exchanges directly booked with Worldmark South Pacific and the Club Pass (access to Club Wyndham resorts). Buying resale, as always here on TUG, is recommended.
Slight correction - the four WorldMark resorts where you can buy deeded ownership were sold in small part as fractionals of one week per quarter making 4 weeks in a year. If you own one of those you can use the weeks, rent them, or pay a very modest fee to convert a week to WorldMark credits (not permanently though you can do it as often as you want). The fractionals are fixed unit rotating weeks and generally work out to a lower cost per credit than straight WorldMark contracts even taking into account the conversion cost.

rog2867

TUG Member
Reaction score
we own Vitana (westin) they have some nice properties but they have not build anything new in a long time. Resale wise though unless you buy one of the mandatory resorts you can't convert to points to use at the other resorts.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
When you book with WM, can you book RCI 1 and II properties? Do you pay same booking fees or less with WM? How much is booking fee for WM properties? Thx

I think WM is a great choice, especially for those of us on the West Coast. You'll have cheaper access to Marriott properties exchanging through Interval, than those who actually own Marriott. We're currently in transition from a HGVC gold week in Orlando, to a platinum contract in Las Vegas, but it was tempting to switch to WM.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I think WM is a great choice, especially for those of us on the West Coast. You'll have cheaper access to Marriott properties exchanging through Interval, than those who actually own Marriott. We're currently in transition from a HGVC gold week in Orlando, to a platinum contract in Las Vegas, but it was tempting to switch to WM.
I own both. The only caution I would have is that WM locations are not the same luxury accommodations as HGVC. They are more midscale. WM is great for shorter trips and lesser known destinations, but it would not be my choice for Hawaii.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
I own both. The only caution I would have is that WM locations are not the same luxury accommodations as HGVC. They are more midscale. WM is great for shorter trips and lesser known destinations, but it would not be my choice for Hawaii.

This is why we are sticking with HGVC, Ohau and Las Vegas, location alone there is no comparison.

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
This is why we are sticking with HGVC, Ohau and Las Vegas, location alone there is no comparison.
I just stayed in Lagoon tower and enjoyed it. I was concerned because the campus has like 4000 units.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
I just stayed in Lagoon tower and enjoyed it. I was concerned because the campus has like 4000 units.

We stayed at Hokaloni last year, right in downtown Waikiki. Smaller property, but you're so close everything, immediately down the escalator.

We bought Wyndham in Kona for the attractive MF, and figured we would prefer a location within the city. Good thing we did, our contract landed with double the points advertised, cheaper per point in MF than anything on the chart!

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We stayed at Hokaloni last year, right in downtown Waikiki. Smaller property, but you're so close everything, immediately down the escalator.

We bought Wyndham in Kona for the attractive MF, and figured we would prefer a location within the city. Good thing we did, our contract landed with double the points advertised, cheaper per point in MF than anything on the chart!
How do you like Wyndham? They look good on paper, but their reputation isn’t the best.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
How do you like Wyndham? They look good on paper, but their reputation isn’t the best.

I like the wider inventory, Sunday nights counting as weeknights, and the properties are similar in quality to WM (better than HGV/DRI). Specifically in Sedona and Kona, where 3 star hotels are pushing upwards of $400 per night, we're breaking even on MF in just a 3 nights. Given that our Kona contract came with double the points, we're using some of those extra points for room upgrades and optional late checkout / extra night. It is easy to overlook a few things when you're getting such great value.

On the negative, they're generally a step down from HGVC. The presentations are much more aggressive, deceptive, and persuasive. The website can be glitchy, and it took them forever to get their new payments processing correctly. My Wyndham Business card earns nothing on MF (not even 1X), so I use my IHG card instead.

GTLINZ

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I skimmed thru this so i apologize for any repeats.

I would think it makes sense to define if you prefer a lot of locations or prefer a few targeted locations. Quality and MFs are a consideration. I think you also want to consider Hawaii locations since an easy plane ride away.

WorldMark does sound like a great option with lots of locations in western locations - low MF, quality may not be so high. I am not familiar with it.

Grand Pacific has some great west locations, is not a points system. Likely more expensive - the 3 resorts i visited were all good quality but not like HGVC. GPX is a great way to get cheaper extra vacations. I looked into it years ago but live on East coast and we focus more on that now. We traveled a lot to Cali years ago and loved it.

This is what I chose to supplement my HGVC ownership - a HRC (Hyatt) deeded week. I use for II access, and I love the Bonita Springs location with the private beach, and also Key West. It is high quality like HGVC (often better). Can get for a reasonable price resale. Expensive MF but is a points system and great exchange rate in Interval. Interval getaways are great and I think the Interval intentory is far better than non-HGVC RCI inventory. Carmel, Tahoe and Sedona are great western locations and you would also have lots of ski options. Maui is an option but VERY hard to get internal exhanges (kinda like Ocean Oak with HGVC).

One of my favorite Cali locations which ironically is available thru II and RCI is San Luis Bay Inn. Almost bought there. That may now be part of HGVC Max - i know they had a lot of DRI intentory before but you could buy weeks when I looked. Maybe it used to trade thru GPX as an affiliate ???

Last edited:

Mongoose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I like the wider inventory, Sunday nights counting as weeknights, and the properties are similar in quality to WM (better than HGV/DRI).
I'm surprised by this. I thought DRI had decent albeit expensive resorts.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
My Wyndham Business card earns nothing on MF (not even 1X), so I use my IHG card instead.
Contact Barclays and complain about not getting points for MF for whatever ones you didn't get. The terms and conditions for the card omits points for loan payments/Wyndham timeshare purchase but allows points for MFs. They just typically improperly code them.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
I'm surprised by this. I thought DRI had decent albeit expensive resorts.

I stayed at 2 DRI properties before the acquisition, and they were nothing alike. One was a nice resort that had seen better days, older mattress. The other was cabin style in the mountains, kept up very well, comfortable, but had very few amenities. We stayed at a rebranded HGV property last year, and it was not renovated. The bedroom wall had obvious water damage, the carpet crusty, exterior stucco damage, etc. Maybe Hilton will work to make improvements.

DRI was an acquisition company only, and only bought inventory from other struggling timeshare companies. That's why their resorts can have such a drastic range from high end resorts to converted hotels.

Contact Barclays and complain about not getting points for MF for whatever ones you didn't get. The terms and conditions for the card omits points for loan payments/Wyndham timeshare purchase but allows points for MFs. They just typically improperly code them.

That is true for the Earner and Earner+ cards, but not the Business Earner (at least when I looked it up).