• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Club with HGV Max
I just discovered you now have to spend $20,000 in a year to get gold status with AMEX Hilton Honors. Before, it was $15,000. This sets me back a couple of months 😞

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I just discovered you now have to spend $20,000 in a year to get gold status with AMEX Hilton Honors. Before, it was $15,000. This sets me back a couple of months 😞

Get the AMEX aspire and the $550 fee will give you DIamond status. Much lower spend.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona
I have the Hilton Surpass and Hilton Business. The quarterly hotel credits are too much of a hassle, especially when we normally pay with points. I have the Aspire card too, and am thinking of converting it into a pseudo business card.

Business Hilton: $60K X 5 X $.006 = $1,800
Aspire Card: $60K X 3 X $.006 = $1,080 + 2 free nights
If my additional 2 free night certificates are worth $720 or more, the Aspire comes out ahead.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I have the Hilton Surpass and Hilton Business. The quarterly hotel credits are too much of a hassle, especially when we normally pay with points. I have the Aspire card too, and am thinking of converting it into a pseudo business card.

Business Hilton: $60K X 5 X $.006 = $1,800
Aspire Card: $60K X 3 X $.006 = $1,080 + 2 free nights
If my additional 2 free night certificates are worth $720 or more, the Aspire comes out ahead.
I have the Aspire, but have recently been thinking of adding a Surpass card. I agree quarterly credit are a bit of a hassle, but i usually stay at enough hotels to make these work. Its seems pretty easy to use the Q1 and Q4 credits by making MF payments. That just leaves Q2 and Q3. Even with points stays i often have some type of hotel expense, food, drink or parking etc.. If i only use the card for groceries, i should be able to earn the Free Night Cert.

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”
I have the Aspire, but have recently been thinking of adding a Surpass card. I agree quarterly credit are a bit of a hassle, but i usually stay at enough hotels to make these work. Its seems pretty easy to use the Q1 and Q4 credits by making MF payments. That just leaves Q2 and Q3. Even with points stays i often have some type of hotel expense, food, drink or parking etc.. If i only use the card for groceries, i should be able to earn the Free Night Cert.
The surpass works well for me…gas, groceries, and an extra HH point for online purchases (Amazon, etc). Fairly complimentary to the Aspire in spending categories for HH point generation.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

Yeah we like the Surpass for grocery and gas, and I'll top it off with online retail for $15K per year in spending. I'm only going to cancel the Business Hilton. One $50 credit per quarter is a lot easier than worrying about another $60 credit too. I didn't even think of MF, I could stack that on top of our $200 Aspire credit for club dues.

BradV

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The Boulevard + Elara
I'm a new HGVC owner. I purchased three deeds on the resale market. If I get the AMEX Hilton credit card, will the $200 semi-annual statement credit cover my $69 booking fees? Is that an "eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts"?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm a new HGVC owner. I purchased three deeds on the resale market. If I get the AMEX Hilton credit card, will the $200 semi-annual statement credit cover my $69 booking fees? Is that an "eligible purchases made directly with participating Hilton Resorts"?
No....booking fees are shown as HGVC corporate. It is only resort MFs (and only some resort MFs) that show as charges that qualify as AMEX Aspire resorts.

BradV

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC The Boulevard + Elara
No....booking fees are shown as HGVC corporate. It is only resort MFs (and only some resort MFs) that show as charges that qualify as AMEX Aspire resorts.
Thank you. Do you know if there is a list anywhere that I can see if The Boulevard and Elara MFs are covered under the "eligible purchases"?

Heron

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think the 50 dollar quarterly credit on Surpass card will still work for that.

mcdanielpj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
Thank you. Do you know if there is a list anywhere that I can see if The Boulevard and Elara MFs are covered under the "eligible purchases"?
Boulevard MFs are covered -- not sure about Elara.

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
Make sure you pay half of the me before Jan 1 and jhang after Jann 1 to recieve the entire $400 credit

fishwithwater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Last year there were reports that Elara MF did not trigger the credit. The activation fee from my recent Elara purchase also didn’t trigger the credit, so I guess the answer is no for Elara although it’s on the resort list.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
i've only been loosely following along but wife is going to drop her CSR this fall when the AF hits due to the devaluation of Priority Pass. I'll keep my CSR but she'll need a daily cc.

Her current options for daily spend are getting an AU card on my CSR ($75) or using her existing Aspire. On my CSR non bonus category spend is 1.5% back if used for travel.

We are thinking of getting her a Surpass. As I see it with the Aspire vs a Surpass she'd earn slightly less in points per $ spent with the promise of a FNA sooner. If she were going to spend $45k per year she could get a FNA on both Aspire and Surpass but that will be a stretch.

Compared to being an AU with my CSR for standard (non bonus category spending) it seems clear Aspire or Surpass is better if she earns the FNA. Is that right?

Reddart

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ELARA
W57th
Back door “Max”
i've only been loosely following along but wife is going to drop her CSR this fall when the AF hits due to the devaluation of Priority Pass. I'll keep my CSR but she'll need a daily cc.

Her current options for daily spend are getting an AU card on my CSR ($75) or using her existing Aspire. On my CSR non bonus category spend is 1.5% back if used for travel.

We are thinking of getting her a Surpass. As I see it with the Aspire vs a Surpass she'd earn slightly less in points per $ spent with the promise of a FNA sooner. If she were going to spend $45k per year she could get a FNA on both Aspire and Surpass but that will be a stretch.

Compared to being an AU with my CSR for standard (non bonus category spending) it seems clear Aspire or Surpass is better if she earns the FNA. Is that right?
Remember, it is 1 FNC at the start (and anniversary) and a 2nd FNC @$30K spend for Aspire, only one FNC @$15K for Surpass (not counting any one time FNC SUB).

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
Remember, it is 1 FNC at the start (and anniversary) and a 2nd FNC @$30K spend for Aspire, only one FNC @$15K for Surpass (not counting any one time FNC SUB).
yes we already have the Aspires