• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
I canceled the Hilton Amex because of the lack of incentive to keep it. I was thinking of canceling the Marriott Amex but they give a free night after you pay the card fee and I like the enhanced rental car protection.

Bill
We both have the Hilton Aspire Amex as we make money on the cards:

$400 Resort Credit (for MFs)
$200 in airline tickets
Free Night Certificate annually.

This is worth much more than the $550, so there can be incentive for HGVC/HVC owners to have this card. We don't put any spend on this card other than Hilton charges (everything goes to Hyatt) and it's still worth it because of the above.

Cheers.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
A combination of post-Covid work travel frequency and additional perks of the Hilton Amex cards have induced me to reshuffle my Amex card portfolio.

It was a complicated process with no win-wins and some priorities placed over others for personal reasons, but overall I think a decent tradeoff.

They have been weening the benefits I prefer from the Amex Platinum for a couple of years, and expanding benefits I don't want or need. So the utility of the Amex Platinum isn't there anymore. Of the Platinum features I did use, a lot of those same features are covered by the Hilton Surpass now - including HHonors Gold status and National Executive Aisle.

Further, the Amex Green $/lbs is a great card given its $150 annual fee, and it covers the Clear+ membership which is valued at more than the annual fee of the card, so the Amex Green pays for itself instantly.

I do utilize Delta Sky club and Amex Centurion Lounges with some frequency, so those perks of the Amex Platinum were good, and the 5x Amex points on airfare was a huge benefit, too. But at this point the 5x Airfare, Global Entry reimbursement, and lounge benefits were the only things Amex Platinum offered that I couldn't get with another card I already had. Are those perks alone worth $695 annually?

There was no silver bullet here, but I think I struck the most economical balance with what I ended up doing:

Dropped the Amex Platinum to Amex Green ($695 to $150) and in lieu to retain lounge benefits opened a Delta Reserve account ($650). Already had a Delta Blue (no-fee) card that was never used, but opted instead to open a new Delta Reserve account vs upgrading the Blue account so that I could take advantage of the Delta Reserve welcome offer: 95,000 skymiles. Another big benefit of the higher fee Delta cards under the new Medallion qualification scheme is the $2,500 "MQD Headstart" which gets you halfway to silver medallion automatically every year, requiring only $2,500 more in MQD spend to reach Silver Medallion, which is a perk I value highly given the Sky Priority bag drop and free exit row seats when booking benefit (at 6'3" the additional legroom is almost mandatory and I prefer exit rows to Comfort+, anyway).

The Delta Reserve card isn't fantastic unless the user flies Delta a LOT, and I do. Of the near-monthly air travel over the past decade (excluding pandemic) I have flown Delta almost exclusively, save for some foreign airlines when traveling internationally. So I think I fly Delta enough to make this card worth it - and starting in 2025 it permits 15 annual visits to the SkyClub (vs 10 with the Amex Platinum) and Centurion Lounge for Delta-booked itineraries (vs Centurion Lounge access for any airline with Amex Platinum). So there are obviously trade-offs.

Also Delta Reserve only pays 3x SkyMiles for Delta airfare, versus Amex Platinum's 5x Amex pts for any airfare (SkyMiles convert 1:1 with Amex pts). Whereas Amex Platinum pays 5x points on airfare and 1x on everything else, Amex Green pays 3x on airfare, and 3x on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, and rideshare expenses. So in terms of ability to accrue Amex pts I am probably not losing anything (and may be gaining) by going from Platinum to Green. Again I think the Amex Green punches way above its weight in terms of what the user gets for the fee.

Additional benefits of Delta Reserve are Global Entry reimbursement ($100 every five years) to replace that perk from the Amex Platinum, 15% discounts on Delta airfare booked with SkyMiles, and an annual first class or lower domestic companion certificate (conservatively valued at $1,100 annually for a first class ticket). The 15% discount on SkyMiles flights is something I didn't value much in the last, but doing the math it actually appears to be a decent perk. For instance a 50,000 SkyMile domestic roundtrip flight would be discounted by 7,500 SkyMiles using the card. That's not insignificant.

Also, the Delta Reserve retains the Amex Platinum's trip delay and cancellation insurance which over the past couple of years of travel have come in handy. I've had more flights severely delayed or outright canceled over the past two years than the preceding decade combined. One flight was abruptly canceled last month which required me to drive home in a rental car - fully covered by the trip delay insurance.

In summary, the changing Amex perks and airline frequent flyer landscape over the last year have induced a reshuffling of the card portfolio, and while this new setup isn't ideal, I think it's the best compromise between cost and perks I value. Will run it for another year or so to see how it works out.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Can you apply for a second AMEX Aspire for the bonus? Is there once in a lifetime language applied to AMEX Hiltons?

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highly, Highly, HIGHLY worth it (I hope I stressed that enough :)). We've had a number of cases with very long Pre-Check lines and more reasonable CLEAR lines that jump to the front of the queue. At a cost of free, it's no no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Cheers.

Agreed - the Clear+/Precheck combo is worth it for anyone who travels with any frequency. Getting mean-mugged by people in the Precheck line is awkward but it gets us through security a lot faster.

Last edited:

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
A combination of post-Covid work travel frequency and additional perks of the Hilton Amex cards have induced me to reshuffle my Amex card portfolio.

It was a complicated process with no win-wins and some priorities placed over others for personal reasons, but overall I think a decent tradeoff.

They have been weening the benefits I prefer from the Amex Platinum for a couple of years, and expanding benefits I don't want or need. So the utility of the Amex Platinum isn't there anymore. Of the Platinum features I did use, a lot of those same features are covered by the Hilton Surpass now - including HHonors Gold status and National Executive Aisle.

Further, the Amex Green $/lbs is a great card given its $150 annual fee, and it covers the Clear+ membership which is valued at more than the annual fee of the card, so the Amex Green pays for itself instantly.

I do utilize Delta Sky club and Amex Centurion Lounges with some frequency, so those perks of the Amex Platinum were good, and the 5x Amex points on airfare was a huge benefit, too. But at this point the 5x Airfare, Global Entry reimbursement, and lounge benefits were the only things Amex Platinum offered that I couldn't get with another card I already had. Are those perks alone worth $695 annually?

There was no silver bullet here, but I think I struck the most economical balance with what I ended up doing:

Dropped the Amex Platinum to Amex Green ($695 to $150) and in lieu to retain lounge benefits opened a Delta Reserve account ($650). Already had a Delta Blue (no-fee) card that was never used, but opted instead to open a new Delta Reserve account vs upgrading the Blue account so that I could take advantage of the Delta Reserve welcome offer: 95,000 skymiles. Another big benefit of the higher fee Delta cards under the new Medallion qualification scheme is the $2,500 "MQD Headstart" which gets you halfway to silver medallion automatically every year, requiring only $2,500 more in MQD spend to reach Silver Medallion, which is a perk I value highly given the Sky Priority bag drop and free exit row seats when booking benefit (at 6'3" the additional legroom is almost mandatory and I prefer exit rows to Comfort+, anyway).

The Delta Reserve card isn't fantastic unless the user flies Delta a LOT, and I do. Of the near-monthly air travel over the past decade (excluding pandemic) I have flown Delta almost exclusively, save for some foreign airlines when traveling internationally. So I think I fly Delta enough to make this card worth it - and starting in 2025 it permits 15 annual visits to the SkyClub (vs 10 with the Amex Platinum) and Centurion Lounge for Delta-booked itineraries (vs Centurion Lounge access for any airline with Amex Platinum). So there are obviously trade-offs.

Also Delta Reserve only pays 3x SkyMiles for Delta airfare, versus Amex Platinum's 5x Amex pts for any airfare (SkyMiles convert 1:1 with Amex pts). Whereas Amex Platinum pays 5x points on airfare and 1x on everything else, Amex Green pays 3x on airfare, and 3x on hotels, rental cars, restaurants, and rideshare expenses. So in terms of ability to accrue Amex pts I am probably not losing anything (and may be gaining) by going from Platinum to Green. Again I think the Amex Green punches way above its weight in terms of what the user gets for the fee.

Additional benefits of Delta Reserve are Global Entry reimbursement ($100 every five years) to replace that perk from the Amex Platinum, 15% discounts on Delta airfare booked with SkyMiles, and an annual first class or lower domestic companion certificate (conservatively valued at $1,100 annually for a first class ticket). The 15% discount on SkyMiles flights is something I didn't value much in the last, but doing the math it actually appears to be a decent perk. For instance a 50,000 SkyMile domestic roundtrip flight would be discounted by 7,500 SkyMiles using the card. That's not insignificant.

Also, the Delta Reserve retains the Amex Platinum's trip delay and cancellation insurance which over the past couple of years of travel have come in handy. I've had more flights severely delayed or outright canceled over the past two years than the preceding decade combined. One flight was abruptly canceled last month which required me to drive home in a rental car - fully covered by the trip delay insurance.

In summary, the changing Amex perks and airline frequent flyer landscape over the last year have induced a reshuffling of the card portfolio, and while this new setup isn't ideal, I think it's the best compromise between cost and perks I value. Will run it for another year or so to see how it works out.

Meant to do a math problem on the value of the 15% discount on Delta flights booked with SkyMiles:

A 50,000 SkyMile ticket reduced by 15% is a savings of 7,500 miles. Assuming Silver Medallion status the flier earns 7 SkyMiles per MQD, so 7,500 SkyMiles is the equivalent of $1,071 MQDs, or approximately $1,200 in total airfare expense including taxes/fees.

Plus as a Silver Medallion with one of the higher-fee Delta credit cards, the flier (and anyone on their itinerary paid with that Delta card) gets two free checked bags. I seldom need to check two bags, but the second checked bag allotment comes in handy in the event the flier has one overweight bag, at which point the second free checked bag allowance covers the overweight bag, saving the flier the $100 overweight bag fee. This is never a problem for me but it is a problem that often afflicts females on my itinerary for some strange reason. Who knew polyester could weigh so much?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Agreed - the Clear+/Precheck combo is worth it for anyone who travels with any frequency. Getting mean-mugged by people in the Precheck line is awkward but it gets us through security a lot faster.
Forgot about Clear. I get it with Amex Platinum, but had to pay a bit for mrs. brp (We get Pre from a bunch of cards). Now she gets her own with Aspire.

As for the looks in the Pre Check line, I'm from NYC. I don't give a f^%k. :)

Cheers.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Can you apply for a second AMEX Aspire for the bonus? Is there once in a lifetime language applied to AMEX Hiltons?

Not sure about the lifetime language, seems like many couples have both people get Aspires. If your both on the HGV deed, you should be able to get a joint Honors account where you share a Honors number and can pool the points you earn.

I know the Hilton Amex are now one of the few Amex setups without a family rule, i.e. you can get the bonus on any of the cards regardless of the order in which you apply for them.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
is anyone going through their statement and asking Amex to correct the point amounts if the have the categories wrong? For example getting 3x for a restaurant instead of 7x.

Have you been having repeated issues with this? I have not noticed anything recently, but I also don't check that often. This is most common when the merchant is setup in the credit card processing network under a category that you would not expect. I.e. A restaurant inside another business might code the for other business.. Years ago one of my credit cards was running a promo for tuition payments. I decided that it worth paying my son's college tuition via credit card despite the added fee to get the promo, only to have the charge get coded as "mail order" instead of tuition / university payments..

Reactions: brp

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
So you can only get the Welcome bonus once but player 2 can get it. However you can get the Surpass and no annual fee multiple times using the Dr of credit no lifetime language link. Player 2 and I have both had the no annual fee and Surpass in the past 5 years, I used the link last year for no annual fee Hilton for the 80k HH and free night and she just applied last week and was approved for the same elevated offer. She May do the Surpass as well no annual fee is a no brainer.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Have you been having repeated issues with this? I have not noticed anything recently, but I also don't check that often. This is most common when the merchant is setup in the credit card processing network under a category that you would not expect. I.e. A restaurant inside another business might code the for other business.. Years ago one of my credit cards was running a promo for tuition payments. I decided that it worth paying my son's college tuition via credit card despite the added fee to get the promo, only to have the charge get coded as "mail order" instead of tuition / university payments..
I noticed getting 3x for a few restaurants on Big Island instead of 7 times. Just as you said they were listed as retail instead of restaurants. Wasn’t sure how much of an issue it is and if it’s worth the effort for the extra points. Also rather Amex would/could do anything about it.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I stay at Hilton's when I travel for work and they just sent me an offer for the Hilton Honors AMEX Surpass Card, is this a good one to take on? I like the idea of hetting a Hilton Amex as I could then use it for work travels and after I retire, I could use it.

I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and wanting to know if this offer is good or should I look for another offer ?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I noticed getting 3x for a few restaurants on Big Island instead of 7 times. Just as you said they were listed as retail instead of restaurants. Wasn’t sure how much of an issue it is and if it’s worth the effort for the extra points. Also rather Amex would/could do anything about it.
I don't use my Aspire for dinning that much, but we were on the Big Island earleirr this year. I will take a look back my credit cards and check to see if I experienced anything similar with Amex or my other cards.

Can you try reaching out to Amex via chat and ask them correct this. Not sure if they will, but its not that much effort to try.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I stay at Hilton's when I travel for work and they just sent me an offer for the Hilton Honors AMEX Surpass Card, is this a good one to take on? I like the idea of hetting a Hilton Amex as I could then use it for work travels and after I retire, I could use it.

I'm trying to get the most bang for my buck and wanting to know if this offer is good or should I look for another offer ?
You didn't mention the Sign Up Bonus (SUB) so I can't comment on whether or not the offer is a good one.

That said, we have both the Aspire and the Surpass as the benefits are complementary. Surpass offers 6x points on Gas and Groceries, 4x points Online Retail, a $50 quarterly credit good for any Hilton charge (not just resorts), and a Free Night Reward at $15K spend. The Aspire gives 14x points on Hilton spend (instead of 12x), a $200 semi-annual Hilton Resort credit (useful for MFs at some but not all HGVC resorts), a $50 quarterly airline credit, and a FNR + an additional one if you hit $30K spend.

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Wife and daughter just went to Escape at SMF and said it was terrible.

That's interesting, I just had a 10 hour layover (🤮) in SMF yesterday and I was so thankful for the Terminal A escape lounge! Super nice staff, it wasn't crowded, gave me a quiet and comfy place to sit. It wasn't 5 star food or anything, but they really improved my day immensely!

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
You didn't mention the Sign Up Bonus (SUB) so I can't comment on whether or not the offer is a good one.

That said, we have both the Aspire and the Surpass as the benefits are complementary. Surpass offers 6x points on Gas and Groceries, 4x points Online Retail, a $50 quarterly credit good for any Hilton charge (not just resorts), and a Free Night Reward at $15K spend. The Aspire gives 14x points on Hilton spend (instead of 12x), a $200 semi-annual Hilton Resort credit (useful for MFs at some but not all HGVC resorts), a $50 quarterly airline credit, and a FNR + an additional one if you hit $30K spend.
We currently have the same Hilton Card Setup (2+2) but thinking of upgrading the Surpasses to Aspire to fully cover MFs and other fees. Do you happen to know if the $200 Resort Credit is triggered by HGVC fees like $69 Booking, $99 Cancel Protection, etc?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We currently have the same Hilton Card Setup (2+2) but thinking of upgrading the Surpasses to Aspire to fully cover MFs and other fees. Do you happen to know if the $200 Resort Credit is triggered by HGVC fees like $69 Booking, $99 Cancel Protection, etc?
I would strongly doubt it since my understanding is that the $200 Aspire Resort credit has to be billed to a resort that qualifies. Charges like booking fees show up as "HILTON GRAND VAC CLUB" not a specific resort. The reason (some) MFs count is that they are billed by the resort (in my case, Hilton Hawaiian Village).

fishwithwater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Booking fee did trigger the Surpass credit when I booked earlier this year, and if I remember correctly, didn't trigger the Aspire credit. I never purchased cancellation protection so I cannot speak for that.

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
I would strongly doubt it since my understanding is that the $200 Aspire Resort credit has to be billed to a resort that qualifies. Charges like booking fees show up as "HILTON GRAND VAC CLUB" not a specific resort. The reason (some) MFs count is that they are billed by the resort (in my case, Hilton Hawaiian Village).
That make sense. I made my booking about 10 days ago using the Aspire and no credit so far, was hoping they were just being slow.

T5travels

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Las Vegas Boulevard
Booking fee did trigger the Surpass credit when I booked earlier this year, and if I remember correctly, didn't trigger the Aspire credit. I never purchased cancellation protection so I cannot speak for that.
Thanks for that info. Glad to know the Surpass works, and also cancellation protection codes exactly as the booking fee does so I would assume both will work.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo, 2br Platinum
HGVC Craigendarroch, 2br Platinum
Just bought a week at Craigendarroche lodges and it appears my lodge purchase activated a $200 credit on my aspire card. I paid three 2024 MF for this year as well, but the resort credit specifically shows the address/transaction name for the lodge purchase not the "Craig country club" charge for the MF.

Also triggered 14x Hilton points for both.... Which was nice.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
Just bought a week at Craigendarroche lodges and it appears my lodge purchase activated a $200 credit on my aspire card. I paid three 2024 MF for this year as well, but the resort credit specifically shows the address/transaction name for the lodge purchase not the "Craig country club" charge for the MF.

Also triggered 14x Hilton points for both.... Which was nice.
Congrats looking into buying one. If you don’t mind what was your total OTC with closing fees ext.

JoeAdkins

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Flamingo, 2br Platinum
HGVC Craigendarroch, 2br Platinum
Congrats looking into buying one. If you don’t mind what was your total OTC with closing fees ext.
I paid £3000 (2br platinum, 11,200 points week) + £330 (hgvc reg fee) + £195 (legal fee)

Total out the door was like ~$4500... Though a coworker contacted Andrew at Craig resale and was told that I got an "unusual" price for my unit. He was offered a £3200 unit which he accepted.