• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
You'll see multiple reports for say, the UA travel bank on both spots now.

United Travel Bank purchases always show up on the credit card statement like an ticket, My most recent purchase is labeled as "Special Services Ticket". I think United likes this to be considered a ticket as they can impose more restrictions on usage than if it was just "gift card" payment method. For example its harder to upgrade your class of service if you pay with travel bank funds.

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Assuming since I’m gettin 12x I’ll get the $50 refund on Surpass soon. Which is great way to use this credit quarterly
It’s official. You can use Surpass to purchase $50 gift card this quarter. Will definatelly use this if we are not staying 1 quarter

Attachments

• IMG_2807.jpeg
    IMG_2807.jpeg
    42.5 KB · Views: 31

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
That means, you can get another Surpass (not Aspire), and get a SUB (signup bonus).
Thanks, that is wonderful news because I have just added a Surpass card (previously had that card several years ago) but really wanted the SUB. I am trying to keep up with all of the great TUG advice (thank you for that) on maximizing my CCs.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
assume i can just buy $50 Alaska gift cards every quarter?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
my brother and sister just tried to get Aspire and both were denied the bonus even though they have never had an Amex Hilton card. Any ideas why?
Maybe we’re interpreting the AMEX use of “family” language on the SUB limitations wrong…?

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
my brother and sister just tried to get Aspire and both were denied the bonus even though they have never had an Amex Hilton card. Any ideas why?
Amex doesn't tell you why. There's some algorithm that they run that determines your bonus eligibility.
The *only* thing we know for sure is that there's a card limit.

and the infamous pop-up thread:

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
It’s like getting a $1 Big Mac in one state but your MCDs doesn’t have that promo in your area. Generally it’s not the person applying, usually just not available at that time, for that income level, with that credit score exc. That’s why you see people stating you should apply incognito with different web browsers.
Using the Dr of credit link is instant approval for Surpass and Honors cards currently as long as you don’t have 5 Amex cards currently.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
they have perfect long credit histories and very high income. they've never had an amex hilton product. They've only ever had an amex business card. what would be the other reasons one would be denied?

The DOC link doesn't have Aspire

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
they have perfect long credit histories and very high income. they've never had an amex hilton product. They've only ever had an amex business card. what would be the other reasons one would be denied?

The DOC link doesn't have Aspire
Again, there probably isn’t a solid reason anyone outside Amex would know. I have 5 Amex cards, 2 business and 3 personal. 3 of them I had the popup and after trying again via incognito and various web browsers was approved.
Most people who are denied the welcome bonus could still be approved but I would t suggest missing out on the bonus.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
If anyone was curious, I got the surpass $50 quarterly Hilton credit for paying maintenance fees at Elara (HGVC).
For some reason I thought that was not supposed to start until the new year. Since I have two deeds that qualify, Elara and KingsLand, guess i will pay Elara before year end. We are heading to Kings Land in early Jan, so already have Q1 covered no matter what.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
For some reason I thought that was not supposed to start until the new year. Since I have two deeds that qualify, Elara and KingsLand, guess i will pay Elara before year end. We are heading to Kings Land in early Jan, so already have Q1 covered no matter what.
or just pay $50....that is what we did with two surpass cards and will pay the rest after Jan 1st to get the rest.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
or just pay $50....that is what we did with two surpass cards and will pay the rest after Jan 1st to get the rest.
Ditto. I paid $50 on my Surpass and $200 on my Aspire and the rest will be going on the Aspire on 1/1 (because of the higher 14x over 12x HH Bonus points).

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
Ditto. I paid $50 on my Surpass and $200 on my Aspire and the rest will be going on the Aspire on 1/1 (because of the higher 14x over 12x HH Bonus points).
Aspire should be $250 for this year, unless you had already used some of it. I have not heard that the half-yearly $200 had started on Aspire yet, but the $250 is still active for those who had the card prior to 10/19.

Cheers.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Aspire should be $250 for this year, unless you had already used some of it. I have not heard that the half-yearly $200 had started on Aspire yet, but the $250 is still active for those who had the card prior to 10/19.

Cheers.
Come to find out, that $250 is still active, even for new cardholders of the Aspire that apply after 10/19. Might not be the intent, but the system does auto credit when paying the right resort MF dues.

Great3

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Come to find out, that $250 is still active, even for new cardholders of the Aspire that apply after 10/19. Might not be the intent, but the system does auto credit when paying the right resort MF dues.

Great3
Yep. My wife got it with her new card

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Great3
Yep. My wife got it with her new card

Interesting. I am indeed a new Aspire cardholder and thought that cardholders that applied after 10/19 couldn't get the $250 credit. I made another $2XX.YY 'odd amount' MF payment a few days later when my $200 payment didn't trigger the resort credit (a theory I have read elsewhere). I'll give it a week or two to see if I see the $50 credit and then call if it doesn't appear.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Can the legacy $250 resort credit be used for room reservations at resorts or only incidentals billed to the room? We still have $250 on one card and $60 on the other to use. No applicable resorts MF since Scotland does not seem to work anymore. Gift card shop at Elara could not be billed to room but Starbucks could.

Should I have purchased Starbucks gift cards to room?

Any other ideas to use before Dec 31st?

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can the legacy $250 resort credit be used for room reservations at resorts or only incidentals billed to the room? We still have $250 on one card and $60 on the other to use. No applicable resorts MF since Scotland does not seem to work anymore. Gift card shop at Elara could not be billed to room but Starbucks could.

Should I have purchased Starbucks gift cards to room?

Any other ideas to use before Dec 31st?
I think any charge to the room and then paid with the card would count at eligible properties

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
But can I apply resort credit if I purchase a room night at a resort for $250?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
I think any charge to the room and then paid with the card would count at eligible properties

In the past we have used the credit in Waikoloa. Stayed at Bay Club, I believe. It was a point stay, but the daily Hawaii fee, drinks, etc. all counted.

We leave tomorrow for Kings Land. Will do the same on this trip and expect it to trigger.

Cheers.

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Also, in case you missed it, as pointed out by @GT75 here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/question-amex.357786/post-2996831 , not only did their new Aspire card get the $250 old resort credit, but they got the old $250 airline incidentals credits as well. This is in addition to the $50 new airline credit for this quarter.

I had assumed we wouldn't get the old $250 airline credit for new Aspire card holders after Oct. 19th, but after reading GT75's post, I chatted with AMEX last week and asked them to select an airline for the incidentals. Didn't mentioned anything about it being new Aspire card, just asked if they can pick Southwest Airlines for me. I figured if not eligible, they would tell me so, but they didn't say anything, Amex cusomter service rep just selected the airline for me and I got an email confirmation.

I just made the charges last week, now waiting to see if they actually credit me. If so, just awesome, I will just count my lucky stars. If not, oh well, I gave it a shot, and didn't expect it anyways when I applied for the 2nd Aspire card for myself. But my gut feeling, if GT75 got it on their new Aspire card, as long as the agent allow you to still select an airline, it will probably still get credited by the automated system. If you had to manually ask about the credit, then yea, it probably won't fly, but what the system does automatically is another thing all together.

Great3

ETA: Also, I learned about the old $250 resort credit still working from @HuskerATL here: https://tugbbs.com/forums/threads/amex-hilton-changes.357558/post-2991630

After his posting, I made a $250 charge instead of $200, and got the full $250 credited as well.