• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
If I am understanding this properly the Aspire card provides you with Diamond status which provides the meal credit. Could you use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?

You and up to one additional registered guest enjoy a complimentary $10 to $25 food and beverage credit per night at most brands in the United States. This often isn't enough for an entire meal, but it can help offset the price of breakfast, drinks or dinner. Unfortunately, most Hilton properties do not allow you to use the food and beverage credit cumulatively. So, for a four-night stay, you must use the credit daily rather than redeeming four nights' worth of food and beverage credits on one charge.

Alternatively, if staying at a listed "resort" using HGV points, you'd receive the $250 resort credit every six months. So using the Aspire card as the room payment card and charging resort meals/drinks to your room should trigger the credit at "resort" properties, which include most (not all) HGV locations:

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Alternatively, if staying at a listed "resort" using HGV points, you'd receive the $250 resort credit every six months. So using the Aspire card as the room payment card and charging resort meals/drinks to your room should trigger the credit at "resort" properties, which include most (not all) HGV locations:

even this isn't guaranteed. I still think something is wrong with the Hilton/Amex connection. A person on FB reported that she only received 3x at a Hilton property that is on the list (I looked it up and it is). I suggested that she report it to Amex that it should be 14x. Something changed on the website/backend data that has messed this up.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely keep an eye on it. If the credit fails to come through for whatever reason, a call the Amex helpdesk should get it fixed as long as the property shows up on the Hilton Resorts list. My resort credits for Elara and Valdoro posted quickly in 2023, but there may be something getting jumbled up with the revamping of the cobranded cards in recent weeks.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Definitely keep an eye on it. If the credit fails to come through for whatever reason, a call the Amex helpdesk should get it fixed as long as the property shows up on the Hilton Resorts list. My resort credits for Elara and Valdoro posted quickly in 2023, but there may be something getting jumbled up with the revamping of the cobranded cards in recent weeks.
Our Blvd received the 14x and the resort credit but Craig Lodges didn't. They did receive it earlier this year and prior that though because I bought more weeks and paid MFs on the ones with a 2023 week available. I did reach out to Craig about the name difference and they reached out to Amex to correct it so we will see if that changes it or not.

1699881422392.png

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
If I am understanding this properly the Aspire card provides you with Diamond status which provides the meal credit. Could you use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?

You and up to one additional registered guest enjoy a complimentary $10 to $25 food and beverage credit per night at most brands in the United States. This often isn't enough for an entire meal, but it can help offset the price of breakfast, drinks or dinner. Unfortunately, most Hilton properties do not allow you to use the food and beverage credit cumulatively. So, for a four-night stay, you must use the credit daily rather than redeeming four nights' worth of food and beverage credits on one charge.
If you look at the list of brands that provide the food & beverage credit, you’ll see that none of them are timeshares — the list doesn’t include Hilton Grand Vacations or Hilton Club. As a result, you can’t really book a stay at a property providing F&B credit with “timeshare points”; you would have to convert them to Hilton Honors points. Once you have converted your Club points or by Hilton Club points (“timeshare points”) they are the same as any other HH points and you could get F&B credit with them when booking a stay at a property that provides it.

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A person on FB reported that she only received 3x at a Hilton property that is on the list (I looked it up and it is). I suggested that she report it to Amex that it should be 14x. Something changed on the website/backend data that has messed this up.
I can add that MFs billed as "HILTON GV HVVS HOA HHONOLULU HI" (Hilton Hawaii Village) show as 14x points on my new Aspire card (though still no resort credit for the Nov 1st charge).

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Going to buy a $50 gift card with Surpass. Have seen several posts of statement credit posting using buyhiltongiftcards.com. Will update when I know more
Assuming since I’m gettin 12x I’ll get the $50 refund on Surpass soon. Which is great way to use this credit quarterly

Attachments

• IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
    115.1 KB · Views: 18

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Will purchasing a gift card trigger the Aspire credit?
Not sure but don’t think so since it’s resort credit only. Surpass is hotel credit and seeming to code as hotel based upon the 12x points I’m seeing. Still waiting on the credit to post though

Last edited:

gggllm

TUG Member
Reaction score
I can add that MFs billed as "HILTON GV HVVS HOA HHONOLULU HI" (Hilton Hawaii Village) show as 14x points on my new Aspire card (though still no resort credit for the Nov 1st charge).
resort credit before the changes are per anniversary

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
well, the $50 surpass resort credit worked. our son has the card so I had him pay $50 toward our Blvd MFs on Nov 1 and it credited on the 5th. will have him do it again in jan.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
We mainly fly Hawaiian. If we use the Amex card for the $50.00 credit I figure I lose the free luggage that we normally get for using the Hawaiian card?

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
We mainly fly Hawaiian. If we use the Amex card for the $50.00 credit I figure I lose the free luggage that we normally get for using the Hawaiian card?
Not sure on this but doesn’t just having the Hawaiian airlines card give you free bags?

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
that was the dilemma with the old credit. we fly almost exclusively alaska and we have two alaska cc and i have elite status as well as free lounge access with the Citi MC Elite AA card. it's very hard to spend $50 cash with them, now that i can get airfare credit it is easier for me because i have elite; but otherwise it would create its own set of problems (and i don't always make elite)

1Kflyerguy

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
I also have the HA Barclays card, and yes the free bags only apply when you use that card for the ticket purchase. Technically incidental charges are not supposed to work, but it seems like some charges look like a flight and work. I know Hawaiian has a gift card program, and you can deposit money with them over time to use for a future flight. Its possible that might trigger the credit depending on how Hawaiian processes that charge.

I have not heard one way or another if this works with Hawaiian, and since they are a smaller airline, online chatter about them is pretty limited. If you already have this card then you could make test purchase to see if it works.

I mostly fly United, and use their Travel bank program like this, but we also fly Hawaiian depending on the island we visit.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
I also have the HA Barclays card, and yes the free bags only apply when you use that card for the ticket purchase. Technically incidental charges are not supposed to work, but it seems like some charges look like a flight and work. I know Hawaiian has a gift card program, and you can deposit money with them over time to use for a future flight. Its possible that might trigger the credit depending on how Hawaiian processes that charge.

I have not heard one way or another if this works with Hawaiian, and since they are a smaller airline, online chatter about them is pretty limited. If you already have this card then you could make test purchase to see if it works.

I mostly fly United, and use their Travel bank program like this, but we also fly Hawaiian depending on the island we visit
that was the dilemma with the old credit. we fly almost exclusively alaska and we have two alaska cc and i have elite status as well as free lounge access with the Citi MC Elite AA card. it's very hard to spend $50 cash with them, now that i can get airfare credit it is easier for me because i have elite; but otherwise it would create its own set of problems (and i don't always make elite)
Been thinking about this and figured out that Hawaiian offers 2 checked bags with purchase which is exactly what we checkin. So I will buy 1 ticket with the Hawaiian card and the other ticket with the aspire card. Thanks for the reply.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: W. 57th, Vegas Strip
DVC: Boardwalk Villas, Beach Club villas
For us it's harder as we fly primarily AA (where we have top status) and AS (which partners with AA and the status benefits transfer). We don't check bags (except for long trips) and upgrades are free. Also, when buying tickets we like to use our AA cards and AA and AS cards for AS. I can always buy cheap tickets, cancel and bank the funds.

We do have an upcoming trip on DL, so I booked a cheap fare that I'm planning to cancel for credit to use on that. Doing it quarterly is a little more of a pain that one swell foop, but so be it.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
For us it's harder as we fly primarily AA (where we have top status) and AS (which partners with AA and the status benefits transfer). We don't check bags (except for long trips) and upgrades are free. Also, when buying tickets we like to use our AA cards and AA and AS cards for AS. I can always buy cheap tickets, cancel and bank the funds.

We do have an upcoming trip on DL, so I booked a cheap fare that I'm planning to cancel for credit to use on that. Doing it quarterly is a little more of a pain that one swell foop, but so be it.

Cheers.

Yeah, AA seems a little more tricky to get the credit.
In case others are interested as to what/how works:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yeah, AA seems a little more tricky to get the credit.
In case others are interested as to what/how works:

Thanks. This is for the old credit where it was really hard, as you say. I'm thinking about the credit going forward where it would be easier, in general.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. This is for the old credit where it was really hard, as you say. I'm thinking about the credit going forward where it would be easier, in general.

Cheers.

Until we get data points, that's probably the best "master" thread anywhere as to what triggers the credits via Amex. there may be more info over in reddit in the r/churning but the search engine over there leaves much to be desired.

I don't think I've seen much (you can look at the last few pages) with the new credit as to what triggers it. I only glanced at the last 3 pages of the thread though.

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Until we get data points, that's probably the best "master" thread anywhere as to what triggers the credits via Amex. there may be more info over in reddit in the r/churning but the search engine over there leaves much to be desired.

I don't think I've seen much (you can look at the last few pages) with the new credit as to what triggers it. I only glanced at the last 3 pages of the thread though.
Well, the T&Cs explicitly say that it's for airfare, and I'm fairly sure I saw folks who reported getting it this quarter for airfare. So I think it's a safe bet that this will be a straight airfare thing. I just tried one and I'll see in a few days. But I'm sure I saw reports somewhere (here or FT).

Found the thread. Long thread, but examples of simple airfare working with this credit.

Cheers.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the T&Cs explicitly say that it's for airfare, and I'm fairly sure I saw folks who reported getting it this quarter for airfare. So I think it's a safe bet that this will be a straight airfare thing. I just tried one and I'll see in a few days. But I'm sure I saw reports somewhere (here or FT).

Found the thread. Long thread, but examples of simple airfare working with this credit.

Cheers.
Yeah it's segmented since someone introduced the thread under the Hilton Hotels sub-forum (which technically it shouldn't be there, since it's really nothing to do with Hilton Honors).
You'll see multiple reports for say, the UA travel bank on both spots now.

I may ask the moderates to shift or move over to the Amex forum where (IMO), it belongs.