• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Amex Hilton Changes

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
Data point: Put $50 United Travel Bank on my Aspire on 11/4, no credit as of yet
Hmm, I received my $50 credit in about 5 days. I have already used my $250 as well so you should be good.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Could Amex have allocated flight amenities that were purchased around the same time to flight credit? That's what happened to me. I had them reallocate Southwest early birds back to the $250 then the United wallet worked with the $50 flight credit shortly after. Prior to making this change United didn't count for the $250 because it wasn't our designated flight amenity airline.

This is a 2023 problem for sure. Glad they made the $200 less complicated to work for all charges on all airlines.

Last edited:

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Note that even though the UAL cash is good for 5 years you need to have United Wallet activity every 18 months. Booking and cancelling a flight doesn't work. You have to continue to deposit Aspire credits or other cash to keep the account active if you don't use the wallet for a flight. The IHG premier card will also keep it active if you want to use Aspire for a different airline but keep some cash there.

The IHG premiere card deposits two $25 credits in the United wallet good for 6 months. We had credits expire because we fly UAL internationally once or twice a year. Here is a workaround I found to extend the life for one year. [excerpt from article - wish I knew this last year]

The United TravelBank Cash through Chase IHG Premier credit cards has a much shorter expiration window. You can, however, extend it with the trick of United fight credits through United’s flexible booking policy.

Here’s how it works:

• Book a speculative United airlines ticket in at least Economy fare class.
    • Avoid Basic Economy fare for this trick to work.
  • Make sure to use your TravelBank cashon the payment page to pay for the reservation.
    • United System automatically uses the TravelBank cash in your account that expires first. So you don’t need to worry about selecting which TravelBank cash to use. See below on How to Redeem United TravelBank.
  • After 24 hours, cancel your flight ticket. The value of your ticket now becomes a flight credit that will expire in a year from the ticket issuance date. You can also keep changing your ticketby having the ticket’s value follow you until you can travel.
    • Currently, United has a waiver for any flight credits resulting from cancellation made on or before December 31, 2022. Those flight credits are extended through December 31, 2023, instead of the original ticket issuance date.

Therefore, you can extend your United TravelBank cash by another year with the United flight credits trick. Your TravelBank is gone from your United’s TravelBank account and has a ticket’s value to be used toward the price of a new ticket instead.

Last edited:

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new 4x online shopping tier for the Surpass is a big deal for me. Most of my shopping is from internet vendors, and I can confirm a majority of them qualify for the 4x tier.

With the new perks of the Surpass and Aspire cards the Amex Platinum isn't as appealing as it used to be.

Of the Amex Platinum perks that I use, the only perks that it offers that Surpass/Aspire don't that incentive me to keep the Platinum are access to Delta Sky Club (which admittedly I didn't use as much as I should have for the past decade) and 5x Amex points on airfare.

The SkyClub perk dropping to 10 visits per year in 2025 are a bummer, but I've never gone to a SkyClub more than 10 times in a year before, so probably won't start now. Net neutral for me.

At 5x Amex points for airfare and 1:1 conversion to Delta Skymiles (99% of my flying) the Amex Platinum gives better Skymiles returns than any Delta cobranded Amex. Plus it gives the option to bank them as Amex points and convert them to skymiles for other airlines in the event I need to fly another carrier for some reason (substantially lower cost, more direct route, etc.)

Mostly thinking out loud here. If I made any change it would probably be to drop the Amex Platinum and bump up my Delta Blue Amex to a Delta Reserve. I'd lose out on the 5x Amex points on all airfare, but Delta Reserve offers 3x Delta Skymiles on Delta airfare, plus it retains SkyClub access (15/yr in 2025) and has the first class companion certificate perk.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I booked a Delta flight with skymiles and paid for the taxes with the Amex Platinum (Delta selected as preferred airline), and Amex refunded the taxes on the skymiles flight as part of the annual airline credit.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@ernststarhemberg I didn't realize that Surpass had 4x online. The wording of this benefit was confusing.

What does it not work for? Amazon? Walmart? Target? others? Insurance payments? Utilities?

Can you buy gift cards online from one of the GC outlets for credit for stores that don't apply then use physically in-store to apply spend?

How does 4x Honors compare to a 2% card? It sounds like Surpass may be good for the 15k free night spend but then shift to other cards after that.

Last edited:

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
The new 4x online shopping tier for the Surpass is a big deal for me. Most of my shopping is from internet vendors, and I can confirm a majority of them qualify for the 4x tier.
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the value of HH points vs other points (Amex, CSR, etc). I think that Amex or CSR points are probably worth 3x what a HH point is to me given their potential for transfer, airline tickets, etc. The 4x is nice but I think it's only marginally more than other points.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
@ernststarhemberg I didn't realize that Surpass had 4x online. The wording of this benefit was confusing.

What does it not work for? Amazon? Walmart? Target? others? Insurance payments? Utilities?

Can you buy gift cards online from one of the GC outlets for credit for stores that don't apply then use physically in-store to apply spend?

How does 4x Honors compare to a 2% card? It sounds like Surpass may be good for the 15k free night spend but then shift to other cards after that.

So far it's worked for anything that posts as a ".com" vendor. So an REI.com purchase for 4x. Amazon gets 4x. Google Services got 4x. Govx got 4x. Backcountry got 4x, as well as various other vendors. There are some smaller vendors, however, that are excusively online who did not receive 4x. I suppose it has something to do with the vendor coding in the Amex database. Some smaller businesses may slip through the cracks.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I know there has been a lot of discussion about the value of HH points vs other points (Amex, CSR, etc). I think that Amex or CSR points are probably worth 3x what a HH point is to me given their potential for transfer, airline tickets, etc. The 4x is nice but I think it's only marginally more than other points.

I'd probably only recommend it for folks who stay at Hilton a lot. We've bought pretty heavily into the Hilton "ecosystem" so the HHonors points definitely get used. But I did like having the Amex Platinum to bank Amex points in the event we needed to do something other than Hilton/Delta travel.

For instance our trip to Iceland next year (if a volcanic eruption doesn't swallow it before then), we found Icelandair flights substantially faster and less expensive than Delta, so I redeemed some Amex points to buy the Icelandair tickets through Amextravel.com

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel

The 4x works for any online purchase. It’s not awesome but works out to be about another 20k HH for me per year.
Everyone has different spend, so your miles may vary from someone else’s. I keep a complex spreadsheet for my spend vs Marriott, Hilton and Hyatt cards. So far the Hilton slightly edges out the other two as best return on spend.
You have to factor the FNC are worth at least 100k HH which really drives the value up over the other two hotel programs in my opinion. Im factoring Marriott at .0085 Hilton at .0065 and Hyatt at .17

Last edited:

rc51

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kings Land
Related to using MFs for the credits: I'm just finalizing my first resale purchase in the coming days. When are the MF actually billed and due? I like the idea of splitting into two payments as suggested earlier (Dec and Jan). I just don't know when HGVC expects me to actually pay these.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
I assume you can’t use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?

Zenichiro

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Casa Yabel
I assume you can’t use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?
If you mean the Aspire resort $400 credit, yes you can if the timeshare is considered a resort, most are. This is as long as expense is charged to the room.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC at Boulevard and Craigendarroch Lodges
Amex Platinum isn't as appealing as it used to be.
We have all three and the Platy still benefits us more than it cost us. We also link Rakuten to the Plat so with purchases, you get the Amex points plus the Rakuten purchases toward more Amex points.

This is our snapshot in 2023 so far:
1699793907700.png

1699794241540.png

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I have been going back and forth on whether to renew the Aspire, as we don't use hotels as much as we did for a while. I thought it renewed this month, but it renewed last month. I did get the $250 credit for Hilton by using the card at Hilton Kings'land over the summer. These are fees I had to pay as an RCI exchanger, which was fine.

I do get the airline credits every year as well.

I don't really understand why Hilton is the only credit card that I have that I cannot book my free night online and cannot even see if I still have a credit to use. I am sure I have maybe missed a night over the last few years. I see my IHG and Hyatt nights online, also my Marriott nights. All can be booked online. That is my only complaint.

My card renewed at the old rate. I don't know what that means for benefits for 2024.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
My card renewed at the old rate. I don't know what that means for benefits for 2024.
From the Hilton Honors website:

A change to your annual fee

Starting on your next renewal date on or after Feb 1, 2024, the annual fee for your Card will increase from $450 to $550.* You can start taking advantage of your new Card benefits before the new fee goes into effect.

The renewal at the old rate merely reflects the renewal date being before February 1, 2024.

[ I ] cannot even see if I still have a credit to use.

On my account page for the Hilton Honors website, I see this toward the bottom of the screen:

FNC.jpg

You have to scroll down to see it. Not sure why it wouldn't be on yours.

raddoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have all three and the Platy still benefits us more than it cost us. We also link Rakuten to the Plat so with purchases, you get the Amex points plus the Rakuten purchases toward more Amex points.

This is our snapshot in 2023 so far:
View attachment 84023

View attachment 84024

Agree that the Amex Platinum still has a lot of value. The 5x points on airfare add up especially if you're traveling with a family. The Centurion lounges are better quality than any airline lounge I been to (though I have never been to a Polaris lounge). President's Circle from Hertz is a fantastic perk. As long as you're able to use the credits they offer I think it's definitely worth it. (The monthly Uber credit might be a bit more difficult to use if you don't live in a big city but I think it can also be used for Uber Eats)

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Agree that the Amex Platinum still has a lot of value. The 5x points on airfare add up especially if you're traveling with a family. The Centurion lounges are better quality than any airline lounge I been to (though I have never been to a Polaris lounge). President's Circle from Hertz is a fantastic perk. As long as you're able to use the credits they offer I think it's definitely worth it. (The monthly Uber credit might be a bit more difficult to use if you don't live in a big city but I think it can also be used for Uber Eats)
We use Uber Eats, not Uber. It basically covers the tip.

ernststarhemberg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Amex dropping Audible from the Platinum digital entertainment credit was a hit for me. I make a point to minimize digital subscriptions, so between Audible and SiriusXM that about covers my monthly subs. The Sirius subscription will mostly cover the monthly credit but won't max it out.

I used the Platinum for the National Executive Aisle, but now that perk is included with Surpass and Aspire!

Then I used Platinum for Clear and Global Entry, but those are both covered by Aspire now, too!

I use the Uber credit sporadically and definitely don't max them out.

Wal-Mart+ is convenient but I don't need it.

The Platinum airline credit is convenient but with Aspire it's more expensive and applies to more airline purchase categories. For instance I never pay to check a bag because I get a free checked bag with my Delta Medallion status. Therefore I seldom utilized the full airline credit with Platinum. Am I reading correctly that with Aspire the airline credit will also cover basic airfare, no airline restrictions?

The two $250 resort credits on Aspire will 100% be utilized.

I seldom fly through airports with Centurion lounges. Giving up the Sky Club benefit would sting a little, but if I offset that by bumping my Delta card up it would offset that (at a lower annual fee).

The only tangible trade-off of dropping the Platinum (for my spending habits) would be losing the 5x Amex points on airlines. The top Delta Amex only offers 3x. Amex points convert to Delta Skymiles 1:1, so Amex Platinum has a 66% higher Delta Skymiles return, although the top Delta Amex offers other bennies like higher complimentary upgrade priority and the first class companion certificate (which I will definitely utilize and would conservatively value at $1,400 based on the Vegas flight it would likely be redeemed on). Under new rules the top Delta Amex would also allow 15x SkyClub visits/yr, whereas the Amex Platinum only allows 10/yr.

I agree the SkyClubs are RIDICULOUSLY overcrowded these days and something needs to be done. Not sure how all these people are getting access - do they all have Platinum/ top-tier Delta credit cards? Hard to believe, but who knows! They're certainly not all Diamond Medallions who have complimentary access.

And at the same time it has to be remembered that these rules can change on a dime. All of these lounge restrictions, benefit curtailment, and fee increases could go away entirely if, say, we enter a global economic depression, travel takes a Covid-style nosedive, and carriers/card issuers are desperate for people to patronize them.

HuskerATL

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Amex dropping Audible from the Platinum digital entertainment credit was a hit for me. I make a point to minimize digital subscriptions, so between Audible and SiriusXM that about covers my monthly subs. The Sirius subscription will mostly cover the monthly credit but won't max it out.

I used the Platinum for the National Executive Aisle, but now that perk is included with Surpass and Aspire!

Then I used Platinum for Clear and Global Entry, but those are both covered by Aspire now, too!

The Platinum airline credit is convenient but with Aspire it's more expensive and applies to more airline purchase categories. For instance I never pay to check a bag because I get a free checked bag with my Delta Medallion status. Therefore I seldom utilized the full airline credit with Platinum. Am I reading correctly that with Aspire the airline credit will also cover basic airfare, no airline restrictions?

I seldom fly through airports with Centurion lounges. Giving up the Sky Club benefit would sting a little, but if I offset that by bumping my Delta card up it would offset that (at a lower annual fee).

The only tangible trade-off of dropping the Platinum (for my spending habits) would be losing the 5x Amex points on airlines. The top Delta Amex only offers 3x. Amex points convert to Delta Skymiles 1:1, so Amex Platinum has a 66% higher Delta Skymiles return, although the top Delta Amex offers other bennies like higher complimentary upgrade priority and the first class companion certificate (which I will definitely utilize and would conservatively value at $1,400 based on the Vegas flight it would likely be redeemed on). Under new rules the top Delta Amex would also allow 15x SkyClub visits/yr, whereas the Amex Platinum only allows 10/yr.

I agree the SkyClubs are RIDICULOUSLY overcrowded these days and something needs to be done. Not sure how all these people are getting access - do they all have Platinum/ top-tier Delta credit cards? Hard to believe, but who knows! They're certainly not all Diamond Medallions who have complimentary access.

And at the same time it has to be remembered that these rules can change on a dime. All of these lounge restrictions, benefit curtailment, and fee increases could go away entirely if, say, we enter a global economic depression, travel takes a Covid-style nosedive, and carriers/card issuers are desperate for people to patronize them.
I used the Plat airline on seat upgrades and the changed Aspire one on a cheap refundable eCredit flight on Delta, that I cancelled for the eCredit and the credit

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Las Vegas
Wyndham Sedona
Wyndham Kona

I am going to switch my card setup next year, partially due to decreased loyalty to Delta, and increased usage of Hilton Honors (down to 10K points as of yesterday).

Gone: Amex Platinum, Amex Gold, Business Gold, Delta Reserve
Adding: Business Platinum, Delta Platinum, Business Hilton, Alaska
Increasing spend on: Hilton Aspire, Blue Business Plus (x2)

This gives us fewer credits, and more options in redeeming with other airlines. 6 Skyclub visits is plenty.

Last edited:

linsj

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
I don't really understand why Hilton is the only credit card that I have that I cannot book my free night online and cannot even see if I still have a credit to use. I am sure I have maybe missed a night over the last few years. I see my IHG and Hyatt nights online, also my Marriott nights. All can be booked online. That is my only complaint.
I, too, wish I could book the free night online. At the bottom of your account page, you can see your free nights ready to use and reserved, as well as past uses.

Monkeyboy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Kaanapali beach Club. Bay Club
If you mean the Aspire resort $400 credit, yes you can if the timeshare is considered a resort, most are. This is as long as expense is charged to the room.
If I am understanding this properly the Aspire card provides you with Diamond status which provides the meal credit. Could you use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?

You and up to one additional registered guest enjoy a complimentary $10 to $25 food and beverage credit per night at most brands in the United States. This often isn't enough for an entire meal, but it can help offset the price of breakfast, drinks or dinner. Unfortunately, most Hilton properties do not allow you to use the food and beverage credit cumulatively. So, for a four-night stay, you must use the credit daily rather than redeeming four nights' worth of food and beverage credits on one charge.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
If I am understanding this properly the Aspire card provides you with Diamond status which provides the meal credit. Could you use the meal credits if you are staying at the hotel using timeshare points instead of Hilton honor points?

You and up to one additional registered guest enjoy a complimentary $10 to $25 food and beverage credit per night at most brands in the United States. This often isn't enough for an entire meal, but it can help offset the price of breakfast, drinks or dinner. Unfortunately, most Hilton properties do not allow you to use the food and beverage credit cumulatively. So, for a four-night stay, you must use the credit daily rather than redeeming four nights' worth of food and beverage credits on one charge.
No. Must be a stay booked on Hilton.com