• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 31 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 31st Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

CheRN

Reaction score
Yeah don't worry about those losers threatening you with collections, I really doubt many collections agencies in first world countries will be buying debt from timeshare corporations in third world countries considering their track record. Not only that, they don't have a leg to stand on since you cancelled within the statutory time limit

CheRN

Reaction score
Hello, same situation happened to me and my husband.When we realized that it was all a scam,I gave them a cancellation letter which one of their stafc received and signed.We signed the contract April 2, 1st cancellation letter was April 4.when we git back home,we made another cancellation Letter,had it notarized and sent as registered letter/certified via UPS dated April 6. I also email my cancellation letter to Royal Sunset and filed a complaint with Profeco while we were there...all of these are still within 5 business day period.
American Express Cc credited back our money they scammed,but we just received a letter from American Express that they can bill us again if Sunset will show proof that we waived the cancellation until June 19 2024...anybody experienced getting billed again? Should I sent the cancellation letter to American Express?my husband chatted with their agent and was told that if they needed additional document they will let us know.I just dont want them to bill us again and we have to fight for dispute again.Thank you

Moonster

Reaction score
Hello, same situation happened to me and my husband.When we realized that it was all a scam,I gave them a cancellation letter which one of their stafc received and signed.We signed the contract April 2, 1st cancellation letter was April 4.when we git back home,we made another cancellation Letter,had it notarized and sent as registered letter/certified via UPS dated April 6. I also email my cancellation letter to Royal Sunset and filed a complaint with Profeco while we were there...all of these are still within 5 business day period.
American Express Cc credited back our money they scammed,but we just received a letter from American Express that they can bill us again if Sunset will show proof that we waived the cancellation until June 19 2024...anybody experienced getting billed again? Should I sent the cancellation letter to American Express?my husband chatted with their agent and was told that if they needed additional document they will let us know.I just dont want them to bill us again and we have to fight for dispute again.Thank you
Kind of weird AMEX would allow that, considering how sunset behaves I wouldent put it past them to try and submit some kind of "proof" they buried in their illegal contract to bill you again.

This shouldn't be an issue, the consumer protection law in mexico doesn't allow for you to waive your recension rights, so long as you cancelled within 5 working days of signing they don't have a leg to stand on.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

I am not sure whether or not they can or will attempt to charge you again, however reading what you wrote then I would be very tempted to pay off all my outstanding purchases with American Express and CLOSE the account permanently. Not another account, just close it up for good.

I assume the Mexican Timeshare Company has your credit card information so why would you want to leave that door open for them to potentially abuse?

Best of luck!

Eagle23

Reaction score
Honestly if you haven't used anything I wouldent worry, they're just trying to find ways to get around Article 1 of the Federal consumer protection law(not being able to waive your rights). They can easily "inactivate" those incentives if they really want to, it's not like you've seen any material gain at their expense.

So scummy, I haven't heard tell of this method before please keep me posted on the outcome.
Hi! It's been quite some time. Just giving an update on my CC dispute, I was credited permanently which is a good thing. However, sunset is still bothering me, sending me a statement of my balance apparently with interest, asking me to pay the balance.

Moonster

Reaction score
Hi! It's been quite some time. Just giving an update on my CC dispute, I was credited permanently which is a good thing. However, sunset is still bothering me, sending me a statement of my balance apparently with interest, asking me to pay the balance.
Yeah they'll keep doing that, they're still asking me for membership dues for the package I've already been refunded for(such a valuable product they're selling, hey?). Anyways they might threaten to put you into collections, I wouldn't worry too much, as even if they did you have cancelled your contract within the statutory resending period.

Eagle23

Reaction score
Yeah they'll keep doing that, they're still asking me for membership dues for the package I've already been refunded for(such a valuable product they're selling, hey?). Anyways they might threaten to put you into collections, I wouldn't worry too much, as even if they did you have cancelled your contract within the statutory resending period.
The representative did threaten me about taking it to collections when I cancelled last year thru WhatsApp, I just stopped responding. Then I received an email a few months after, that I haven't paid the monthly payment and that they will not charge interest as long as I pay it on the due date. I emailed back telling them that I have cancelled the contract and I should not be receiving a bill from them. I did not hear back after that and then now several months later, another email with a statement of apparently my balance with interest. Will they send another email for the maintenance fees? Then threaten about collections again?

Thank you so much once again for your response, I greatly appreciate it.

Ty1on

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The representative did threaten me about taking it to collections when I cancelled last year thru WhatsApp, I just stopped responding. Then I received an email a few months after, that I haven't paid the monthly payment and that they will not charge interest as long as I pay it on the due date. I emailed back telling them that I have cancelled the contract and I should not be receiving a bill from them. I did not hear back after that and then now several months later, another email with a statement of apparently my balance with interest. Will they send another email for the maintenance fees? Then threaten about collections again?

Thank you so much once again for your response, I greatly appreciate it.
Cancelling through Whats App isn't an accepted cancellation method, so you never actually cancelled. Just keep doing what you are doing. They will keep sending you bills until they give up or not.

kreeket

Reaction score
So I followed up with the credit card company and according to them, it's been resolved. I really appreciate all the help we got from this group.

Reaction score
That’s good news! I called them so many times and they said someone will call me back but no one did! So right on the 15th day, I called my bank and disputed the charge. They didn’t ask too many questions like your bank as well. I guess they know these kind of dispute happens all the time.
Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update:
My dispute was finally resolved! My CC provider gave sunset 60 days to respond and they never did so my dispute was automatically resolved. Thank you to everyone, especially @Moonster for starting this thread. If not for this post, I would have been stuck in a fraud timeshare forever! 😭🙌🏾

Moonster

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Just wanted to give an update:
My dispute was finally resolved! My CC provider gave sunset 60 days to respond and they never did so my dispute was automatically resolved. Thank you to everyone, especially @Moonster for starting this thread. If not for this post, I would have been stuck in a fraud timeshare forever! 😭🙌🏾
Honestly glad I could help you and others out, even more happy that this thread actually worked and was able to cost sunset a decent sum of money. The people in this thread are tens of thousands alone, not to mention all the people who didn't register and just followed the thread. Very nice feeling.

kreeket

Reaction score
Hello all! Like I previously mentioned, we won the credit card dispute which is great. Now, I just heard back from Profeco about a hearing with Sunset. Is it even worth pursuing it or attending now that everything's settled?

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
so very happy you were able to get all of your money back!

what you pursue moving forward would be up to you, though most just give up and thats what allows these sorts of activities to continue!

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Hello all! Like I previously mentioned, we won the credit card dispute which is great. Now, I just heard back from Profeco about a hearing with Sunset. Is it even worth pursuing it or attending now that everything's settled?
Technically a successful credit card dispute doesn’t release you from a binding contract.

Moonster

Reaction score
Technically a successful credit card dispute doesn’t release you from a binding contract.
Cancelling within the statutory time period does however, and I believe kreeket must have otherwise sunset would have taken the opportunity to point that out to his/her card issuer when they filed the dispute.

Reaction score
Hey we just signed contract today. And im going crazy reading all the situations you guys had. And now I have to deal with ours.

Has anyone else moved from ocean spa to sunset royal after purchasing the membership. I just don’t know what next steps should I Take, they have offered us to move here for the rest of our vacation (6 more days), some certificates/gifts, and free tour!
Which I will make sure not to go to after reading this. And we wanna make sure to try to cancel within that 5 business days!!
Should I try to speak to an agent/manager while we are still here? knowing they will say we are not allowed to cancel!!

And I’m wondering if they will allow us to stay here after speaking to them! Should I just email and try to send a mail instead. and I am sure that they won’t be doing any kind of refund so will have to dispute with my bank like everyone else. PLS. Help I’m just trying to have a stress free vacation and it turned into this nightmare.

Moonster

Reaction score
Hey we just signed contract today. And im going crazy reading all the situations you guys had. And now I have to deal with ours.

Has anyone else moved from ocean spa to sunset royal after purchasing the membership. I just don’t know what next steps should I Take, they have offered us to move here for the rest of our vacation (6 more days), some certificates/gifts, and free tour!
Which I will make sure not to go to after reading this. And we wanna make sure to try to cancel within that 5 business days!!
Should I try to speak to an agent/manager while we are still here? knowing they will say we are not allowed to cancel!!

And I’m wondering if they will allow us to stay here after speaking to them! Should I just email and try to send a mail instead. and I am sure that they won’t be doing any kind of refund so will have to dispute with my bank like everyone else. PLS. Help I’m just trying to have a stress free vacation and it turned into this nightmare.
Hey, your situation sounds very similar to mine at the time.

First things first, send the cancellation letter to every email address listed on the contract and their WhatsApp number. I wouldn't bother trying to talk to an agent as they'll just end up trying to convince you to stay with the contract with grand promises that will never come to fruition and will eventually begrudgingly sign your cancellation letter to which you will still have to send to the bank to dispute as they are incapable of following the laws of their own country. I would just save yourself the stress and stick to traceable methods like a mail and WhatsApp.

Secondly, I wouldent take the move to Sunset Royal, but even if you do, if nothing about that is mentioned in the contract they can pound sand as they don't have a leg to stand on (legally speaking) though they will use that as an excuse to get the amount refunded back to you reduced.(I didn't have this specific issue as I stayed at ocean spa the whole time)

Honestly so long as you don't take those transfers(or they're not mentioned in your contract) I honestly wouldent get too stressed about all of this, it's annoying and you made a mistake, but so long as you cancel your contract within 5 buisness days through a traceable method they really don't have a leg to stand on. They'll make lots of threats and make up lots of lies(criminal behavior) but you have the law on your side.

Just get that letter send off to as many email addresses as you can find and give your bank a phone call when you get home. Enjoy your trip.

Reaction score
Hey, your situation sounds very similar to mine at the time.

First things first, send the cancellation letter to every email address listed on the contract and their WhatsApp number. I wouldn't bother trying to talk to an agent as they'll just end up trying to convince you to stay with the contract with grand promises that will never come to fruition and will eventually begrudgingly sign your cancellation letter to which you will still have to send to the bank to dispute as they are incapable of following the laws of their own country. I would just save yourself the stress and stick to traceable methods like a mail and WhatsApp.

Secondly, I wouldent take the move to Sunset Royal, but even if you do, if nothing about that is mentioned in the contract they can pound sand as they don't have a leg to stand on (legally speaking) though they will use that as an excuse to get the amount refunded back to you reduced.(I didn't have this specific issue as I stayed at ocean spa the whole time)

Honestly so long as you don't take those transfers(or they're not mentioned in your contract) I honestly wouldent get too stressed about all of this, it's annoying and you made a mistake, but so long as you cancel your contract within 5 buisness days through a traceable method they really don't have a leg to stand on. They'll make lots of threats and make up lots of lies(criminal behavior) but you have the law on your side.

Just get that letter send off to as many email addresses as you can find and give your bank a phone call when you get home. Enjoy your trip.
The other thing that I’m over thinking too are the tours, as there’s about two tours they booked us for, during our stay. since we will not be talking to an agent/manager during our stay and will probably wait the 5th day(day of our check-in) should we cancel those tours? And they might ask to why we aren’t going to those tours.
But I just don’t want them to use this against us that we used their, gifts/ certificates and tours. Has anyone actually gone to those tours and was able to dispute through their bank, and got their money back.

Moonster

Reaction score
The other thing that I’m over thinking too are the tours, as there’s about two tours they booked us for, during our stay. since we will not be talking to an agent/manager during our stay and will probably wait the 5th day(day of our check-in) should we cancel those tours? And they might ask to why we aren’t going to those tours.
But I just don’t want them to use this against us that we used their, gifts/ certificates and tours. Has anyone actually gone to those tours and was able to dispute through their bank, and got their money back.
I think to cover yourself you should include in your cancellation letter that you do not intend to go on the tour packages/take the hotel transfer as you are cancelling your contract along with those services as you haven't rendered them yet. This would probably help your case with the bank.

Your case is a bit more unique, I haven't read much advice outside of "if it isn't listed in the contract they can't deduct it" but at the same time I think so long as you haven't used and services and have given them a formal cancellation notice you should be fine.

You should keep the forum updated on your situation, might help others in the future.

I wouldent worry so much, just get that cancellation letter sent off and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

Reaction score
I think to cover yourself you should include in your cancellation letter that you do not intend to go on the tour packages/take the hotel transfer as you are cancelling your contract along with those services as you haven't rendered them yet. This would probably help your case with the bank.

Your case is a bit more unique, I haven't read much advice outside of "if it isn't listed in the contract they can't deduct it" but at the same time I think so long as you haven't used and services and have given them a formal cancellation notice you should be fine.

You should keep the forum updated on your situation, might help others in the future.

I wouldent worry so much, just get that cancellation letter sent off and enjoy the rest of your vacation.
You probably send one here already, and I missed it. But May you provide and give me an example and key points of what to include in the cancellation letter. Pls and thank you!!

And yes I will keep an update, to also help others in the future.

Moonster

Reaction score
You probably send one here already, and I missed it. But May you provide and give me an example and key points of what to include in the cancellation letter. Pls and thank you!!

And yes I will keep an update, to also help others in the future.
I used the template from this website here (www.mescam.com/5dayRecind.htm) I just took out most of the threatening/performative language out of it and focused on the important areas (statutory cancellation period, legislation, particulars of your transaction, dates, intent to cancel) you could just use the template and specify the tour packages/hotel transfer are not being used and cancelled and that should be good enough.

Reaction score
Can you kindly send the Emails I should be sending the cancellation letters too. And the mailing address for some reason I’m not able to see it in the contract!!

Moonster

Reaction score
Can you kindly send the Emails I should be sending the cancellation letters too. And the mailing address for some reason I’m not able to see it in the contract!!
These were the contacts listed in my contract, not sure about yours.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240601_150210_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240601_150210_Samsung Notes.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 18

Moonster

Reaction score
Also I didn't bother with physical mail, I am not familiar with the Mexican postal system and anything I heard about it wasn't very good. Sending emails and a message on WhatsApp was enough evidence for me to submit to my bank for the dispute. Perhaps check the program website to find the current contact info in case it has changed.

Reaction score
Also I didn't bother with physical mail, I am not familiar with the Mexican postal system and anything I heard about it wasn't very good. Sending emails and a message on WhatsApp was enough evidence for me to submit to my bank for the dispute. Perhaps check the program website to find the current contact info in case it has changed.
We really appreciate all the information. so my update is, I have reached out to our agent as he gave his cellphone number to us. Also sent formal cancellation letter, to all emails attached in contract and profeco’s email.
We won’t be going to any of the tours, and won’t be using any gifts/ certificates. And I mention that feel free to take us back to our main resort(ocean spa) so we’ll see how the next few days will bring us!
But this is unbelievable, we came here to have fun and now we have to deal with all this. We appreciate you for giving us steps to what to do, it makes me feel at ease somehow.

So after the dispute to the bank, did you get the full refund of all the money that they charged already, and how about the next payments, we they not able to deduct from ur account anymore?