• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

Brett

Reaction score

U.S. economy grew at a 2.8% pace in the second quarter, much more than expected​

• Real gross domestic product increased at a 2.8% annualized pace in the second quarter, above the 2.1% forecast.
  • The personal consumption expenditures price index, a key measure for the Fed, rose 2.6% for the quarter, down from the 3.4% move in Q1. Core PCE prices were up 2.9%, down from 3.7%.
  • However, the report also indicated that the personal savings rate continues to decelerate, at 3.5% for the quarter, compared with 3.8% in Q1.
  • Initial jobless claims declined by 10,000, while durable goods orders unexpectedly plunged.

"Trends already underway make for a sunny outlook over the next few years"

"Inflation is returning to normal. As that happens, the Federal Reserve is preparing to cut interest rates. A huge burst of infrastructure spending has taken time to ramp up, but projects both small and large are likely to break ground in earnest in 2025 and 2026. Green-energy, manufacturing and infrastructure investment that is expected to continue over the next several years. Expansions of dams and locks will be underway. Dozens of airport upgrades will be completed. Semiconductor factories will begin churning out chips."

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

Famed short-seller and TV pundit Andrew Left charged in $16M market manipulation scheme​

Brett

Reaction score
Bond Funds Draw In Record Amounts
https://www.wsj.com/finance/investi...ond-funds-before-rates-start-to-fall-6a1ff254

Investors poised for rate cuts, retirees looking to lower risk drive ETF inflow

The stock market may be roaring, but 2024 has been Wall Street’s year of the bond fund.
Bonds are paying the highest yields in a generation, and interest rates are poised to come down. Meanwhile, a record number of retirees are looking to cut risk in their portfolios. That combination has investors pouring money into both indexed and actively
managed funds.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
It's been reported on Varney this morning that there is a lot of big shorts happening today. It could be that future jobs or lack of is part of the reason. Currently there are many companies having problems and needing to start layoffs. Intel announced it is going to lay off 15,000. Whirlpool and many furniture brands are having problems. Restaurant chains are feeling it.

Bill

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
stocks go up and down. in the long run they go up because populations grow, productivity increases, and real economic growth is positive. Barring WW3, the Black Death, etc, that will continue to be true.

Buying the whole economic pie (broad total market, low cost, tax efficient index funds) and never selling will continue to be a winning strategy even if there are quarters where the pie shrinks.

As an accumulator I am always happy when thr stock market goes down because I get to buy more stocks on sale. What I wouldn't give to be able to buy stocks today at Oct 87 highs (Dow: 2700) or Mar 00 highs (Dow: 11,000).

Brett

Reaction score
yes, buying "broad total market" low cost, tax efficient index funds (Schwab 1000, Vanguard 500, etc.) over 40 years is a winning strategy.
I've moved a significant amount to corporate bonds and CD's so I'm not worried about market fluctuations

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
From what I have read tonight, with Israel declaring war, indicators pointing at global recession, the bank liquidity problem, big companies selling off and whatever is happening in D.C., there is a good chance of a slow bleed sell off.

Bill

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
oh look the permabears are out of hibernation :)

now stocks have only gone up 75% since this thread started 🤔

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
from Animal House: "Remain calm. All is well." The bleep investors do. LOL. It used to surprise me 35 .. 30 yrs ago. Then I sat in a room with a bunch of big-money, pro investors (instead of just talking to them on the phone or 1-by-1) and realized
"What a bunch of ADD clowns."

We've been laughing in our house since, in about 40 hours, they all went from
"That Powell is a genius. Powell stuck a soft-landing. Way ta go, guy. You a genius fo sho."
to
"OMG! Powell screwed up. He waited too long. Those damn bleeps at The Fed did it again. Danger. Danger."

Fun times. Watch Bloomberg TV on a "Fed Day". Who needs the Comedy Channel?

Last edited:

emeryjre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Shifts in Interest Rate Policy are generally met with increased volatility as portfolio adjustments occur

.The Nvidia announcement on chip delays certainly has not helped
Major capital spending on new AI infrastructure is delayed for an unknown period

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Nvidia announcement on chip delay
The most ADD thing I saw today. NVDA delays its new chip by 3 mos, I guess. AMD is down on the open, and not down slightly, but down by maybe 6 - 8%.
It takes some real ADD to make that sale.

Maybe taking Silver Medal: bitcoin / crypto. Let's pretend this stuff has some actual intrinsic value, but it falls 18% overnight and almost 30% in a few days, when ...
the macro-jitters don't really have anything to do with the supposed value. I feel like buying some down here to flex my "trading muscles" like they all do.
Where's that clown (what is his name Bankman something?) when they need him?

Last edited:

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
someone yelled Fire! in a crowded Yen carry-trade
Funny story. We were in Asia for the month of June. Half of it in Japan. The prices were AMAZING due to FX and Japan having so little inflation over the last 30 yrs. We were in Kyoto 2 summers ago and the prices were awesome, but after 2 more yrs of yen depreciation, this summer was actually unbelievable. Jaw-dropping. When were flying back, my wife said "If the yen stays here, we should go back next summer". I replied, "Well, if we throw spending money into a yen fund, we can lock in super-inexpensive Japan stays for a long time." I was only half joking, but still, I didn't intend to do it.

A week later, after yen started rising, she tells me "You know, I put $25,000 into a yen fund, YCL." I high-fived her.
YCL now up 25% since early July. Sometimes you just have to look clearly and think "That price makes no sense." It happens not infrequently in FX.

note: You could travel to Tokyo in June and spend like a shogun and have lower daily expenses than staying in Orlando and buying passes to bleepin disney. It is still probably close.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The most ADD thing I saw today. NVDA delays its new chip by 3 mos, I guess. AMD is down on the open, and not down slightly, but down by maybe 6 - 8%.
It takes some real ADD to make that sale.

Maybe taking Silver Medal: bitcoin / crypto. Let's pretend this stuff has some actual intrinsic value, but it falls 18% overnight and almost 30% in a few days, when ...
the macro-jitters don't really have anything to do with the supposed value. I feel like buying some down here to flex my "trading muscles" like they all do.
Where's that clown (what is his name Bankman something?) when they need him?
Right now, my NVIDIA is still positive (after 2.5 years) and Broadcom is still positive after 4 years.

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
maybe it's a correction not a recession on it's way

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
my NVIDIA is still positive
I sold the $970 call on my NVDA, which became the $97 call, so NVDA being $96 or $99 or $101 is sort of an optimal outcome for me
I am Jack's complete lack of surprise.

I own a ton of GOOGL but I'd like it to get back to low-$150s so I can cover my GOOGL calls.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
View attachment 97442

Maybe someone yelled Fire! in a crowded Yen carry-trade. :eek:

Yup, I agree. It looks like some massive YEN to USD carry trades went bad which resulted in margin calls on both sides is the pin that popped the bubble.

Bill

Tia

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wondered over 20 years ago how they'd fund all the Baby Boomers retirement when they all started cashing in.

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Warren Buffet is timing the market with some strategic selling at these levels.

Brett

Reaction score