• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[2020] A little stock market sense

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Bought UPS in the dip.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Buying the dips in UPS stock over the last 3 years has not been a winning strategy.
Made me +$10K over the last 4 years. Flight to quality.

letsgobobby

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC - Lagoon, W57th, MarBrisa, Paradise
I own UPS.

And FedEx, DHL, Amazon...

I'd own USPS if they were publicly traded!

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
FWIW Jim Cramer just advised a caller not to buy UPS. FedEx is a better choice o_O

Cramer's picks are pretty good for day and swing trading. Someone on Reddit analyzed Cramer's picks which showed that if you bought the pick to trade the next day , Crammer's picks returned 555%. It also showed that holding Cramer's picks resulted in a decent gain. His sell recommendations were not as good as his buy recommendations.

Bill

RENTER

Reaction score
Update on how my system worked the last 2 days. Friday it was up 0.26% and today up 0.39%. I took profits of 10% to 30% from bond bulls and stock bears.

I then divided those gains in half. I put 50% into a treasury floating rate ETF. With the other 50% I took advantage of fractional trading and split evenly between 14 investments. The magnificent 7 and 7 Reits. Each of the Reits are different than the others. Warehouse, Medical, Data Centers, Communication Towers, Apartments, Storage and Cannabis Real Estate.

I will do this every day the market falls and I have profits over 10%. Then when the market turns back up, I will do the same with bond bears and stock bulls and buy the bond bulls and stock bears with the profits.

Takes me 5 minutes a day.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Update on how my system worked the last 2 days. Friday it was up 0.26% and today up 0.39%. I took profits of 10% to 30% from bond bulls and stock bears.

I then divided those gains in half. I put 50% into a treasury floating rate ETF. With the other 50% I took advantage of fractional trading and split evenly between 14 investments. The magnificent 7 and 7 Reits. Each of the Reits are different than the others. Warehouse, Medical, Data Centers, Communication Towers, Apartments, Storage and Cannabis Real Estate.

I will do this every day the market falls and I have profits over 10%. Then when the market turns back up, I will do the same with bond bears and stock bulls and buy the bond bulls and stock bears with the profits.

It’s the five minutes that stumps me

Brett

Reaction score

Congratz on timing the stock market yesterday

Here's a tip - consider selling your "system" to mutual fund managers

funds.png

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/12/02/business/stock-market-index-funds.html

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
UPS closed at $156.90 on 8/3/2020. UPS closed today at $126.02.
Yep, buy on the lows. I paid $126 and change for a performer that pays a dividend. I'll put that horse in my stable.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, buy on the lows. I paid $126 and change for a performer that pays a dividend. I'll put that horse in my stable.
Performer? UPS is still in a solid 3-year downtrend and at a 4-year low. Sure, it pays a 5.17% dividend, but the capital losses over the last 3 years (even with every purchase at the bottom of a dip) far outstrips the dividends. That is a dog, not a horse, and certainly not a thoroughbred.

If dividends from a quality performer is your goal, a stock like Western Union is a much, much better choice -- 8.28% dividend yield with a relatively consistent price where you might actually get all your investment back when you sell.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Performer? UPS is still in a solid 3-year downtrend and at a 4-year low. Sure, it pays a 5.17% dividend, but the capital losses over the last 3 years (even with every purchase at the bottom of a dip) far outstrips the dividends. That is a dog, not a horse, and certainly not a thoroughbred.

If dividends from a quality performer is your goal, a stock like Western Union is a much, much better choice -- 8.28% dividend yield with a relatively consistent price where you might actually get all your investment back when you sell.
Where did you put your money yesterday?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Stocks plunged across the world Monday
Open letter to society: Please stop acting like a bunch of foolish 4 yr-olds. The SP500, #1 index of the lgst and bestest stock mkt in the world fell by < 3% after rising by 31% in the prev 9 months. OMG! Plunge! Plunge! Jumpin Jabronis Batman.
Why? Most investors are playing follow-the-leader with blindfolds on. The current generations of investors are used to living in a HEAVILY managed economy, so give them a hint that their beloved "managers" are incompetent, and POOF, confidence evaporates.
It was Monday. People tend to wake up cranky & maybe hungover on Mondays. But there was no nfl last Sunday, so mostly cranky and generally slow.

I don't like Mondays. I don't like Mondays. I wanna shoot all those stocks down. Shoot em all down.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
7 Reits. Each of the Reits are different than the others. Warehouse, Medical, Data Centers, Communication Towers, Apartments, Storage and Cannabis Real Estate.
There's a REIT for cannabis RE? I mighta heard that at one point, but LOL. You say "Medical". I assume you mean "Healthcare", cuz I can't imagine buying 7 REITs w/o one of them being healthcare. And that seems like a heckuva lot of diversification for a portfolio that is already hugely diverse.
Can you automate buying 7 different REITs in 7 different sectors or do you actually have to think about it each time?

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I wonder how accurate Cramer is. I bought Sears in early 2000s on his recommendation. One of my worst investments. His reco on UNH was a winner.

I also learned not to pick stocks based on mags like Money Magazine because they are too late and the gains have already been earned.

Reactions: DrQ

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Open letter to society: Please stop acting like a bunch of foolish 4 yr-olds. The SP500, #1 index of the lgst and bestest stock mkt in the world fell by < 3% after rising by 31% in the prev 9 months. OMG! Plunge! Plunge! Jumpin Jabronis Batman.
Why? Most investors are playing follow-the-leader with blindfolds on. The current generations of investors are used to living in a HEAVILY managed economy, so give them a hint that their beloved "managers" are incompetent, and POOF, confidence evaporates.
It was Monday. People tend to wake up cranky & maybe hungover on Mondays. But there was no nfl last Sunday, so mostly cranky and generally slow.

I don't like Mondays. I don't like Mondays. I wanna shoot all those stocks down. Shoot em all down.
Did you read my other posts? I BOUGHT yesterday.

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
It’s the five minutes that stumps me
this stuff is not hard to automate. I'm sure one of the on-line brokers has most of that set up as a configurable "Strategy In A Box".
When the CEO of IBM said the world would need about 5 computers, one of them was for that. Another was for playnig pong. The other 3? Got me?

WaikikiFirst

Reaction score
Did you read my other posts?
I am replying to the constant brain-deadening links to mass media nonsense. I can't imagine reading such crap. Even the headlines give away the Jumpin Jabronis nature of it

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I harvested a small but sizeable chunk off the table the week prior at the high (yes! for once I hit the high) Investing it into CDs/Bonds for now.

I am trying to put into place trailing stop losses but decided that if this is to work, I need to ladder selling and rather than setting my floor at 25% below peak as guaranteed return, I should harvest a portion at the highs to offset that low point.

Will never be 100% out of the market but we are nearing retirement and don't want to ride another 2008 or 2001 to the bottom with our retirement money.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
this stuff is not hard to automate. I'm sure one of the on-line brokers has most of that set up as a configurable "Strategy In A Box".
When the CEO of IBM said the world would need about 5 computers, one of them was for that. Another was for playnig pong. The other 3? Got me?
You're right, automation is easy. What is difficult is getting access to the market first. Trades are made in microseconds and trading houses pay millions to get access to reduce latency.