• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $23,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $23 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2008 ] SVO eBay Sales

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
I was wondering what this one would sell it, with the high closing costs (~$775, with a $25 Westin transfer fee (huh?)).

Not sure why it sold so much less than the one from a few days ago. Certianly it's not just the $200 extra in fees...

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
WKV EY 2Bd LO - Platinum - 148K SO - $17,100 (Dec 3, 2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320454410331

----------------------------------------------------------------------
WKV EOY 2Bd LO - Silver - 56K SO EOY - $1660 (Dec 7, 2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350287864249

WKORV EY 1BR Platinum (1-50) 81K SOs Ocean View $5251 (Dec 16, 2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370304369138

WKORV EY 1BR Platinum (1-50) 81K SOs Ocean View $5100 (Dec 19, 2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350293472240

WKORV EOY 1BR Platinum (1-50) 81K SOs EOY Ocean View $4050 (Dec 8, 2009)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290376415704

RLOGO

TUG Member
Reaction score
The sad part is the owner didn't even get the full sale price, since they would have had to pay redweeks4less to list the week. I hope they didn't pay someone $$$$ to take the timeshare off their hands.

It appears the sale did not go through as the unit is relisted on eBay.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Please remember - as stated in post #1 - that just because an eBay auction goes through does not mean the sale completed. In tracking these over the years - many end up getting relisted, or the same seller puts the same unit up for sale.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Please remember - as stated in post #1 - that just because an eBay auction goes through does not mean the sale completed. In tracking these over the years - many end up getting relisted, or the same seller puts the same unit up for sale.

But even if the sale doesn't go through, does that mean the price at the end of the auction is biased in either direction?

If the auction is competitive enough I don't think it really matters if the sale closed. And if anything, it's probably a buyer who is more likely to walk away if they think they overpaid (sellers are generaly motivated to close the deal, and can always have a reserve price) so the prices may be biased upwards in those auctions that don't close.

Am I missing something?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
But even if the sale doesn't go through, does that mean the price at the end of the auction is biased in either direction?

If the auction is competitive enough I don't think it really matters if the sale closed. And if anything, it's probably a buyer who is more likely to walk away if they think they overpaid (sellers are generaly motivated to close the deal, and can always have a reserve price) so the prices may be biased upwards in those auctions that don't close.

Am I missing something?

Certain unscrupulous sellers are believed to list timeshares with low starting prices and no reserve with the expectation of starting a spirited bidding war (evidence suggests that low starting prices and no reserve encourages bidding). If the auction closes at a low price, these sellers are believed to tell the lucky buyer that the item was not described correctly or is no longer available, but will frequently list an identical unit shortly thereafter (identical down to the same unit number and week).

To the outside world, the eBay result appears to be a very low price, but no one was able to buy at that price.

Of course it is impossible to verify that this actually happens, but eBay is a strange place -- even stranger with private bidding.

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
Certain unscrupulous sellers are believed to list timeshares with low starting prices and no reserve with the expectation of starting a spirited bidding war (evidence suggests that low starting prices and no reserve encourages bidding). If the auction closes at a low price, these sellers are believed to tell the lucky buyer that the item was not described correctly or is no longer available, but will frequently list an identical unit shortly thereafter (identical down to the same unit number and week).

To the outside world, the eBay result appears to be a very low price, but no one was able to buy at that price.

Of course it is impossible to verify that this actually happens, but eBay is a strange place -- even stranger with private bidding.

I guess that can happen. Didn't think of that...

But on second thought - shouldn't that be reflected in a seller's feedback?

Last edited:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I guess that can happen. Didn't think of that...

But on second thought - shouldn't that be reflected in a seller's feedback?

Does happen - especially with a few sellers.

Perhaps a reason the certain common eBay sellers do have low ratings - but there are ways to wiggle out w/o a buyer giving a bad rating.

tbh - If I sold a VOI on eBay - I would not set a reserve, nor a high starting price - they just do not sell (history clearly shows this - I don't even bother tracking them anymore) However - if I got lowballed - as a seller - I would back out. I would not take a large $ hit - I wouldn't care about my eBay rating. But of course - I would make sure the auction had correct info and was appealing, and I would have reasonable expectations of its worth.

Last edited:

DanCali

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana, Marriott, DVC
This is a voluntary resort, so staroption doesn't transfer to a new owner.
And it is every other year (odd years) use.
This auction was ended higher price than I thought.

Copy and paste... fixed to EOY in my original post. Also removed the OV (no deeded views at WPORV)

Yes, a bit surprisingly high for an EOY. Not much different from WKORV. Just shows the "value" of these comes from usage, not SVN trading (unlike the price difference between SDO and WKV)

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ad misstates (misleads) fess. Says fees are payable January 1st, every other year in the amount of $1,185.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
To be clear the MF for an EOY WPORV (as of Jan'10) is $ 1,147.68 and is paid annually. This includes a $50 Princeville resort fee (includes use of St Regis facilities - except for the pools and hot tubs). This MF does not contain the SVN fee (if any).

There have been 2 completed eBay auction for EOY WPORV - at around $8K. These are being sold by SVO for ~$36K with around 80K SP incentives.

I paid ~$25K for ours and got around 225K SPs at the end - back in March 2007 (used our SPG AMEX, and a same-day Explorer Package) - plus I retro'd our WKORV VOI and got 3* (no big deal).

Last edited:

Fredm

TUG Member
Reaction score
To be clear the MF for an EOY WPORV (as of Jan'10) is $ 1,147.68. This includes a $50 Princeville resort fee (includes use of St Regis facilities - except for the pools and hot tubs). This MF does not contain the SVN fee (if any).

To be clear, clear, the 1147.88 is paid annually.

The closed auction represents the fees as payable every other year in the amount of $1185.

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKV 2BR Gold - 2 bids with winning bid of $1005 + 2010 MF's

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I assume this won't close, but yikes.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
WKV 2BR Gold - 2 bids with winning bid of $1005 + 2010 MF's

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I assume this won't close, but yikes.

Wouldn't a gold be worth 81000 SOs? The ad says 56300 -- is that silver? (Sorry -- I just got a new laptop and haven't transferred my files -- too lazy to log into myripoffcentral to access the SO chart.)

saluki

TUG Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a gold be worth 81000 SOs? The ad says 56300 -- is that silver? (Sorry -- I just got a new laptop and haven't transferred my files -- too lazy to log into myripoffcentral to access the SO chart.)

Yes, gold would be 81000. Either it's a silver unit or a poor "cut & paste" job that possibly kept confused bidders away.

jerseygirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, gold would be 81000. Either it's a silver unit or a poor "cut & paste" job that possibly kept confused bidders away.

Thanks -- that's what I thought. 56K is a worthless # of SOs to have, in my opinion -- doesn't really "mesh well" with any of the other popular resale mandatory units. Although, it does gets you a one-BR premium at HRA in the summer .............. if you can find one.